Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,105 members, 7,814,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public (1482 Views)

I Was Paid To Kill Myself By Tobi Olusa / 3 Unusual Ways To Discover Your Talents / An Unusual Christmas In Ibadan (A Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by Kingsimmer(m): 7:03am On Aug 08, 2015
During the past centuries, people who were born with unusual malformations or features, they very probably earned their living by showing themselves for the public in circuses. Their look was so scary and unbelievable for the people back then, that they paid happily to see these “creatures”, as they referred to them. Take a look at these 9 individuals who were side show workers and had to tolerate people looking at them for fun…

Schiltzie

Schiltzie, also known as “pinhead”, was born with microcephalus. This condition caused a sloped forehead and an abnormally smaller head and brain.

Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by Kingsimmer(m): 7:05am On Aug 08, 2015
Ella Harper

She was know as “Camel Girl” and she was born with a rare condition that caused her knees to bend backwards. In the late 1800s she performed in circuses and newspapers described her as “the most wonderful freak of nature since the creation of the world.”

Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by Kingsimmer(m): 7:06am On Aug 08, 2015
Fanny Mills

She was known as “Ohio Big Foot Girl” and she suffered from Milroy disease which cause and extreme swelling of the legs and feet. Her feet reached 17 inches and she died at the age of 39.

Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by Kingsimmer(m): 7:06am On Aug 08, 2015
Joseph Merrick

Also known as “Elephant Man”, his deformities only appeared in form of bumps when he was three years old. When he was 12 his deformities were severe and his father kicked him out of the house and he became homeless.

Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by Kingsimmer(m): 7:08am On Aug 08, 2015
Edouard Beaupre

He was the eldest of the 20 children of his family and he was extremely tall. at the age of 17 he was 7 feet tall and still continued to grow. Instead of working for a circus, he decided to become a strongman.

Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by jcflex(m): 7:08am On Aug 08, 2015
Eleyin o gidigan oooooooooo
Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by Kingsimmer(m): 7:09am On Aug 08, 2015
Nicodemus, the Indescribable

His real name was John Doogs and he was born with turncated limbs. He was also known for being remarkably strong and talented in acrobatics.

Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by Kingsimmer(m): 7:10am On Aug 08, 2015
Mignon, the Penguin Girl

She was born with a condition called phocomelia, which stunts the limbs and fingers, and as her name shows, his fingers were fussed in such a manner that they were similar to flippers.

Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by ramdris(m): 7:11am On Aug 08, 2015
All these point to the fact that God is great and you should be thankful for your life....

1 Like

Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by Kingsimmer(m): 7:12am On Aug 08, 2015
Len and Ernie

Ernie Defort, the “Two Boys, One Head” was born with a parasitic twin attached to his sternum. When he was 12 years old, they decided to surgically remove his twin, because his health started to deteriorate as he grew. He refused the surgery because he was emotionally attached to him.

Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by Kingsimmer(m): 7:13am On Aug 08, 2015
Francesco A. Lentini

He was a successful circus worker. Hi is a pair of conjoined twins, having the legs and genitals of his brother attached to his spine.

Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by Nobody: 7:14am On Aug 08, 2015
Thank God for my life...

I and my family members don't have to 'earn' that way.

The God wen do am for me, He go do am for you too...

¤Modified¤
I'm officially FTC. I was following jejely until the OP posted the 9th one...

Those guys above me were 'contending' for the pay that comes with being 'FP' on NL.

Where do we get our money since they might say I'm 3rd to comment? grin wink

cc:
Obinnau
nex
ijebabe
lalasticlala
Lets go a-circus this morning!
Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by Nobody: 7:23am On Aug 08, 2015
lipsrsealed
Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by kossyablaze(m): 7:25am On Aug 08, 2015
But I can't see LadyF there!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by miriamgroove: 7:25am On Aug 08, 2015
God is great...
Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 08, 2015
Weird
Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by hahn(m): 8:16am On Aug 08, 2015
Back when Europe and America were still ignorant.
Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by ideatoprince18(m): 8:41am On Aug 08, 2015
wow.....wonders of nature..
Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by ideatoprince18(m): 8:44am On Aug 08, 2015
FP. at last
Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by mabeni(m): 9:16am On Aug 08, 2015
Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by ladyF(f): 12:00pm On Aug 08, 2015
Eeyah
Re: 9 People Who Were Paid To Show Their Unusual Looks To The Public by Buzx: 8:16pm On Aug 09, 2015
lah wa woh

(1) (Reply)

The Matrimony, The Blessing: A Mothers advice and prayers for the Daughter / SIN City(a Fictional Story) By Prime Insane Universe / OUR TALE: SHORT STORIES COLLECTION {UNEDITED}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.