Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,894 members, 7,817,628 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? (5122 Views)

Ecclesiastes 9:11 / What Does It Mean That Our Sins Are Washed Away? / How Is Jesus' Death A Sacrifice If He Rose From The Dead ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:07pm On Aug 19, 2015
sunkoye:

nope...am not a Catholic bro.

Can you explain to us what you meant by 'Limbo'?
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:09pm On Aug 19, 2015
MightySparrow:

It is not too good to take a scripture ALONE and make a doctrine out of it.
As Solomon is inferior to Jesus: so is his writing, Knowledge, and wisdom.

'The queen of the South will rise up at the judgment with the men of this generation and condemn them, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and behold, something greater than Solomon is here'. - Luke 11:31

Solomon's revelation is limited and earthly, in fact, lacks spiritual revelation.

And I applied my heart to know wisdom and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also is but a striving after wind. - Ecclesiastes 1:17

Except in Solomon's writing, there is no other place where Bibles says there is no knowledge beyond here. This is not to discard Solomon's writing but to point out its limitations.
However, Jesus claims He is greater than Solomon meaning His authority on a subject sets aside that of Solomon, even Moses or the temple if we consider the rest of the passage in Luke 11.

Moreso, in Revelation of John, we can deduce that the dead are not without knowledge as Solomon opined.
When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne. - Revelation of John 6:9
They cried out with a loud voice, "O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before you will judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth? " - Revelation of John 6:10
So, souls that are dead can cry unto God for vengeance, they must have carried knowledge from here to beyond.
About rich man asking for water, little is made known to us about beyond but Manna is quoted as angel's food. God is described as a Spirit yet He has a form. So little is told us about spirit life.
I conclude that we study with open mind the scriptures.
"The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law. - Deuteronomy 29:29

Good job! cheesy
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by orisa37: 6:45pm On Aug 19, 2015
AI: Amnesty International. SR: Sahara Reporter. These two imported agents of cia/bokoharam information pedlers are "omo ales".
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by CAPTIVATOR: 6:51pm On Aug 19, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

You cannot take one verse and run away with it. Compare scriptures and read them in context.

The context :
~ for the LIVING know that they will die .

~ but the DEAD know nothing at all .

Its either both statement are false , or both statement are words of truth .

Ecclesistes 12:10
" the congregator sought to find delightful words and to record accurate words of truth" .

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by dolphinheart(m): 8:58pm On Aug 19, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

For your information, the soul is of the same shape to the body and spirit of man. Even though the body lies in the grave, the soul/spirit lives on till eternity in heaven or hell.

SHow prove that the soul is same shape to the body and spirit of man.

Show prove where it is said the soul lives on to eternity.
Show prove where the soul seperates from the body at death.
I've warned you several times on this "spirit/soul word you use. The soul is not the spirit. They have different words with different meanings.

Show prove that the spirit of man goes to hell?.

Why does the bible say the dead not praise God?.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:40pm On Aug 20, 2015
CAPTIVATOR:

The context :
~ for the LIVING know that they will die .

~ but the DEAD know nothing at all .

Its either both statement are false , or both statement are words of truth .

Ecclesistes 12:10
" the congregator sought to find delightful words and to record accurate words of truth" .

The Bible is not just one chapter or the OT. The moment you allow the light of the gospel to shine on your heart you will get holistic picture of what it's all about. smiley
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:42pm On Aug 20, 2015
dolphinheart:

SHow prove that the soul is same shape to the body and spirit of man.

Show prove where it is said the soul lives on to eternity.
Show prove where the soul seperates from the body at death.
I've warned you several times on this "spirit/soul word you use. The soul is not the spirit. They have different words with different meanings.

Show prove that the spirit of man goes to hell?.

Why does the bible say the dead not praise God?.

The only prove you need is that your spirit man be regenerated by the Holy Spirit when you repent and trust in the Lord Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. smiley
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by dolphinheart(m): 9:48pm On Aug 20, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

The only prove you need is that your spirit man be regenerated by the Holy Spirit when you repent and trust in the Lord Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. smiley

I guess that you have searched and searched and realised that answering the questions will only show the world how wrong ur beliefs are, but you have to reply just to save face.

Like I said, in other to protect one lie, other lies have to be fomulated. For the hell fire lies to be authentic, the lie of what soul really is must be formulated . For that to stand, man having a soul must be fomulated . For that to stand ,the spirit/soul must be fomulated. But just like a building made of cards, just remove one of the cards and the other lies come crumbling down .

You have failed to tell us if spirit and soul go to the same place after death.

You have failed to give us details on when the people in ur hell now go to heaven .
You have failed to tell us what will happen to people after the ur so called rapture.
You have failed to tell us if those who lived before jesus where born again to go to heaven as jesus said that without that, you can not inherit the kingdom of God.

Which part of man goes to hell fire, his spirit, soul or body. Show proof from the bible.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Aug 20, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

That is not the case.

What is the case?

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by firestar(f): 10:38pm On Aug 20, 2015
American Standard Version

Ec 9:5

For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not anything, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Hm. Pretty self-explanatory.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by italo: 11:19pm On Aug 20, 2015
So the dead know things afterall...

Do these "dead" include Mary, Peter, Paul etc?

Hehehe...
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by Nobody: 9:24am On Aug 21, 2015
italo:
So the dead know things afterall...

Do these "dead" include Mary, Peter, Paul etc?

Hehehe...

If truly the dead know nothing, where did Jesus go after death? Certainly not heaven (because he will later resurrect and ascend to heaven to be with God) and not hell (lake of fire!!! because that is eternal damnation no saving). Who did He set free? (bible told us they were dead abi)...ok And The rich man of Luke 16 was dead and talking. Just don't get it. Why take a particular verse of the bible... read it out of context and then write a longer-than-Nile epistle out of it.

Thanks Italo, may your wisdom source net get dry.
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by Nobody: 9:37am On Aug 21, 2015
firestar:
American Standard Version

Ec 9:5

For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not anything, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Hm. Pretty self-explanatory.

Luke 13:28

"There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out.''

seems to me like people who know nothing will weep for what they don't know and then see others while not knowing anything.

Think!!! Be open please.... Can you read Ecc. 9:2 and conclude that both the belever and non-believer as you guys put it have the same fate after here I guess not or?
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by italo: 10:52am On Aug 21, 2015
dmandy:

If truly the dead know nothing, where did Jesus go after death? Certainly not heaven (because he will later resurrect and ascend to heaven to be with God) and not hell (lake of fire!!! because that is eternal damnation no saving). Who did He set free? (bible told us they were dead abi)...ok And The rich man of Luke 16 was dead and talking. Just don't get it. Why take a particular verse of the bible... read it out of context and then write a longer-than-Nile epistle out of it.

Thanks Italo, may your wisdom source net get dry.

Amen.

...And Moses and Elijah that spoke to Jesus at the transfiguration...long after they had died...

They were just blabbing about what they didn't know...

...and the people in Rev 6:10 who cried out “How long will it be, holy and true master,* before you sit in judgment and avenge our blood on the inhabitants of the earth?

Those are the dead that don't know anything o...

Hehehe...
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by firestar(f): 4:07pm On Aug 21, 2015
dmandy:

Luke 13:28

"There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out.''

seems to me like people who know nothing will weep for what they don't know and then see others while not knowing anything.

Think!!! Be open please.... Can you read Ecc. 9:2 and conclude that both the belever and non-believer as you guys put it have the same fate after here I guess not or?

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by firestar(f): 4:11pm On Aug 21, 2015
Dmandy

I will love to hear your thoughts on these Scriptures as well. Will really appreciate your open-mindedness.

Ps 88:10

Will you perform wonders for the dead? Can those powerless in death rise up to praise you? (Selah)

Ps 115:17

The dead do not praise Jah; Nor do any who go down into the silence of death.

Ps 146:4

His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground; On that very day his thoughts perish.

Isa 38:18

For the Grave cannot glorify you, Death cannot praise you. Those who go down into the pit cannot hope for your faithfulness.

Joh 11:11

After he said these things, he added: “Laza·rus our friend has fallen asleep, but I am traveling there to awaken him.”

Regards.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Aug 21, 2015
firestar:
Dmandy

I will love to hear your thoughts on these Scriptures as well. Will really appreciate your open-mindedness.

Ps 88:10

Will you perform wonders for the dead? Can those powerless in death rise up to praise you? (Selah)

Ps 115:17

The dead do not praise Jah; Nor do any who go down into the silence of death.

Ps 146:4

His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground; On that very day his thoughts perish.

Isa 38:18

For the Grave cannot glorify you, Death cannot praise you. Those who go down into the pit cannot hope for your faithfulness.

Joh 11:11

After he said these things, he added: “Laza·rus our friend has fallen asleep, but I am traveling there to awaken him.”

Regards.

My dear, the dead are condemned forever and cannot praise God.. they curse Him in gnashing of teeth. The 'saints are still alive' for God is not God of the dead but of the living. Does that help?
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by firestar(f): 4:20pm On Aug 21, 2015
dmandy:

My dear, the dead are condemned forever and cannot praise God.. they curse Him in gnashing of teeth. The 'saints are still alive' for God is not God of the dead but of the living. Does that help?

Not really.

How can you tie in those scriptures?

Regards.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by dolphinheart(m): 5:38pm On Aug 21, 2015
dmandy:

Are you saying ur saints of old did not die?

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Aug 21, 2015
dolphinheart:

If you say they did, then u make God a liar who said He is God of the living and not the dead. For only the body dies. You see that in scriptures don't you?
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 21, 2015
dolphinheart:

There is no basis for further discussion if you don't believe in life after death and immortality of the soul.

thanks, I do.
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by Jozzy4: 7:31pm On Aug 21, 2015
dmandy:

There is no basis for further discussion if you don't believe in life after death and immortality of the soul.

thanks, I do.

where did Adam go when he died ?

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by dolphinheart(m): 7:32pm On Aug 21, 2015
dmandy:

If you say they did, then u make God a liar who said He is God of the living and not the dead. For only the body dies. You see that in scriptures don't you?

You guys sha, you have decided to go the olaadegbu way. You made a statement , a question was asked about ur statement you are now acting like you did not see the question .

Simple question, are you saying your saints of old did not die!!!?

The funny thing about ur version of false beliefs is that those who have a general belief that the soul does not die wunt agree with ur version. You guys come up with different versions of the same belief.

If you know you know the truth, dnt assume my own opinnion cus I've not said anything on die or death, just tell us yes or no if ur saints die or not!.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 21, 2015
dolphinheart:

Yes sir, the scriptures told me so. Ecc 12:7 and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Aug 21, 2015
dolphinheart:

You guys sha, you have decided to go the olaadegbu way. You made a statement , a question was asked about ur statement you are now acting like you did not see the question .

Simple question, are you saying your saints of old did not die!!!?

The funny thing about ur version of false beliefs is that those who have a general belief that the soul does not die wunt agree with ur version. You guys come up with different versions of the same belief.

If you know you know the truth, dnt assume my own opinnion cus I've not said anything on die or death, just tell us yes or no if ur saints die or not!.

I was only thinking we are on the same page. So, you don't believe in life after death after all. Is ok.
Their bodies died and to dust returned but you know what? their spirit didn't.
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by dolphinheart(m): 7:36pm On Aug 21, 2015
dmandy:

thanks, I do.

Show me how the bible teaches that the soul is immortal?!!!.

For the soul that is sinning will die!!!
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 21, 2015
dolphinheart:

Show me how the bible teaches that the soul is immortal?!!!.

For the soul that is sinning will die!!!

And the one that don't shall ........?
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by dolphinheart(m): 7:40pm On Aug 21, 2015
dmandy:

I was only thinkinking we are on the same page. So, you dont believe in life after death after all. Is ok.

Dnt try and change the topic.

Tell us how you Learnt that the soul is immortal.
Tell us where the soul goes at death .
Tell us what is the soul.
Tell us if the saints of old died or did not die!
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by Jozzy4: 7:41pm On Aug 21, 2015
dmandy:

You err , " ALL have sinned" romans 3:23

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by dolphinheart(m): 7:44pm On Aug 21, 2015
dmandy:

Give me an example of a direct offpring of adam(that came primarily from his loins) that did not sin. Just one example of a man born perfect without divine intervention.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 21, 2015
dolphinheart:

Give me an example of a direct offpring of adam(that came primarily from his loins) that did not sin. Just one example of a man born perfect without divine intervention.

Ok at least you agree that the one that don't sin shall live.

For your example, none. For all have sinned..but by grace those that repent and believe are forgiven and saved. Is it not in your bible?
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by dolphinheart(m): 7:49pm On Aug 21, 2015
dmandy:

I was only thinking we are on the same page. So, you don't believe in life after death after all. Is ok.
Their bodies died and to dust returned but you know what? their spirit didn't.

There spirit did not die , good, verry good statement.

Now tell us using the bible as a guide.
Where did the spirit in man goes after death ?

What about the soul?, I've been asking about the soul since .

What did God call man, flesh or spirit?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2024 Theme (year Of) For All Churches In Nigeria And The Rest Of The World / Shocking Verses In The Bible / Religulous?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.