Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,947 members, 7,828,322 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele (5195 Views)

Fayose On Splash FM Ibadan: "Buhari Wants To Give Tinubu Awolowo Treatment" / NNPC To Announce 85 Naira Fuel Pump Price In January 2016 / Emefiele: NNPC Now To Be Sole Petrol Importer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by TruMaster: 10:42am On Aug 09, 2015
grin
This kind policy make sense die!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by Nobody: 10:43am On Aug 09, 2015
EdCure:

Agreed, sometimes I buy fuel for 110Nara as well as the official price of 87. The price fluctuations is not so much a result of scarcity as it is a regulatory and monitoring challenges on the part of the FG (which is yet to stabilise its operations), and the fraudulent acts of the oil cabals and marketers.

You will agree with me that we have not faced any product scarcity since the crisis level that Jonathan plunged the nation into in the twilight of his administration.

And yes, the NNPC alone can handle the business of fuel importation for Nigeria. What is needed is proper management, patriotism and efficient leadership coupled with functional refineries which I believe will perform at optimal levels in a matter of weeks.

One of the cardinal lessons that is learnt from GEJ's misrule is the fact that the business of fuel importation is a national security issue which Nigeria cannot afford to leave in the hands of unscrupulous businessmen and racketeers.
The truth is that for the most part of the last regime, we had fuel not just available but also sold at govt approved price. In fact, at a point, we bought fuel here in Enugu for #1 less than govt approved price.

The acute scarcity you talked about, during Which fuel sold for as much as #200, didn't last for more than 2 weeks and it was due to strike by oil workers.

The current scarcity is the longest we've had in a long while and nobody is saying anything about it.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by EdCure: 10:46am On Aug 09, 2015
baralatie:

so during Gej administration from 2010 -2014 how often did you experience scarcity.
My points in reference to the Jonathan presidency is that, the issue of fuel subsidy and the acts of economic sabotage by fuel importers was very prominent (to crisis levels) throughout his administration.

BTW, I have many hobbies, but counting the days of scarcity is not one of them.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by Nobody: 10:54am On Aug 09, 2015
mdbissalla:

what does it take to have d capacity? can you pls educate us on it. we are all earssss
Even with the most prudent administrators, it will cost billions and take NNPC years to have the capacity to be sole importer. Tank farms takes money and time. Plus so many other logistics. What happens during the wait? We can't go back to NNPC now. The solution is total end on subsidy. This will encourage private refineries to spring up. All the talks about port Harcourt and kaduna refineries starting production are bogus. There are things government can't really do well especially in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by baralatie(m): 10:56am On Aug 09, 2015
EdCure:

My points in reference to the Jonathan presidency is that, the issue of fuel subsidy and the acts of economic sabotage by fuel importers was very prominent (to crisis levels) throughout his administration.

BTW, I have many hobbies, but counting the days of scarcity is not one of them.
now you have shifted your line of thought.
1.2010-2014 fuel scarcity were hardly noticeable
2.fuel subsidy is very real and thank God PMB can see its impact
3.the case of economic sabotage by the major oil marketed s were heavily hinge on that "subsidy" and these major oil marketers have groped PMB administration all in the name of subsidy.
4.if PMB now tows this NNPC route of "sole importer".hmmm we are back to scarcity or FG budget "belt tightening".

1 Like

Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by EdCure: 11:01am On Aug 09, 2015
Sincere9gerian:
The truth is that for the most part of the last regime, we had fuel not just available but also sold at govt approved price. In fact, at a point, we bought fuel here in Enugu for #1 less than govt approved price.

The acute scarcity you talked about, during Which fuel sold for as much as #200, didn't last for more than 2 weeks and it was due to strike by oil workers.

The current scarcity is the longest we've had in a long while and nobody is saying anything about it.
Even if it lasted for just 3days, it was a real crisis which we all experienced like never before. Banks, (tele)communications, transportation, security patrol and other key sectors of the society were all grounded by the single act of these greedy thieves who care less about national security than their own economic benefits.
Its on record the the cost of fuel rose to N700 and above (per litre) in some places...that is even if you find a drop of it to buy.

Any responsible govt will take drastic/ambitious steps to forestall such recurrence. And I believe that's the rationale behind this proposed (new) policy. It deserve commendation.

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by mdbissalla(m): 11:06am On Aug 09, 2015
janus05:
Even with the most prudent administrators, it will cost billions and take NNPC years to have the capacity to be sole importer. Tank farms takes money and time. Plus so many other logistics. What happens during the wait? We can't go back to NNPC now. The solution is total end on subsidy. This will encourage private refineries to spring up. All the talks about port Harcourt and kaduna refineries starting production are bogus. There are things government can't really do well especially in Nigeria.

ok woo its your own opinion & point of view...
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by wealthascum(f): 11:57am On Aug 09, 2015
It might work thou
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by mdbissalla(m): 12:21pm On Aug 09, 2015
i wonder why people keep saying/thinking that dis is not going to possible. however, i dont blame such people, its not their fualt. its a result of a failed system or bad governance.
i think dis is very simple & very easy to achieve. all NNPC needs to do is to engage as many private refineries as possible to pertake in the "i give you crude oil, you give me refine product" then government takes care of transportation.
gradually, NNPC owned refineries get to refine & reduce d dependance on importation.

it only take Truth & Sincerity of Purpose to achieve this.

Baba Buhari, pls Go-Slow & Slowly. dnt rush.
we want you to arrive safely

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by docadams: 12:23pm On Aug 09, 2015
baralatie:

so during Gej administration from 2010 -2014 how often did you experience scarcity.

Do you wish to go back to that era?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by Nobody: 12:29pm On Aug 09, 2015
docadams:

You didn't answer his question
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by Youpele52: 12:40pm On Aug 09, 2015
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by SimpleVili: 1:22pm On Aug 09, 2015
Of course

Place your orders for long-lasting solar power banks. See my signature.
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by kenny987(f): 1:23pm On Aug 09, 2015
The NNPC cannot realistically be the sole importer of petroleum for a country as large and diverse as Nigeria. It is also not practicable to attempt to cut off the private sector on this issue that affects energy supply. There is need to implement strict measures to ensure healthy distribution and business practices while at it.

One would expect that the government would be moving towards self-sufficiency in drilling and refining crude for domestic use as well as export rather than highlighting absolute government control for importation! Again, no matter how hard some of us try to hide our heads in the sand it is important to remember that the current government has established a 97%-5% dichotomy. Who is to say that a particular region will not suddenly find itself starved of essential regular supply? It makes more economic sense to properly regulate the private sector where u can have equal players from all regions who are basically interested in profit than a govt that creates the impression of vindictiveness and pettiness at each turn.

It is really irresponsible that at this point in time, there is no tangible or verifiable blueprint of the agenda of the present government. It just appears that a group of people stuck in a time warp keep spinning of crazy policies which they are more likely to recant especially after much damage has been done. We watch and wait but seriously...we need to be sure of where we are headed.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by sparkleRed(f): 1:50pm On Aug 09, 2015
I love dis pple re criticising without insult to an extent smiley it's nice, pls keep educating me

Am enjoying d debate right nw cheesy
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by docadams: 2:03pm On Aug 09, 2015
chukwudi44:

You didn't answer his question

Since the advent of PMB regime I have not failed to buy fuel when I want at 0 to 17naira differential per litre. If it stays that way I have no issue with it.

What gives me joy is not the stability per see but the virtual elimination of humongous claims of subsidy even on locally refined products labelled as imported under GEJ.

So my question now to you: will you want to return to that era?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by baralatie(m): 3:18pm On Aug 09, 2015
docadams:

did you lack petrol during that era
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by Brightology2(m): 3:26pm On Aug 09, 2015
Wats d gd news dere. Is jst dia usual mouth action.
gists:
For the past 2 or 3 weeks, it been an average of about 5 good news per week if not more.
This week is starting with yet another one.
wailer are free to hug the nearest transformer. They are now working!!

God bless PMB.
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by docadams: 3:32pm On Aug 09, 2015
baralatie:

did you lack petrol during that era

I didn't lack in the main but then I don't wish to re-live that era because it has been shown that we spent the fortune of several generations to maintain that apparent stability.

Now, do you want to return to that era?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by baralatie(m): 3:39pm On Aug 09, 2015
docadams:

I didn't lack in the main
that is the answer that matters.
the next question is
1,do you continue paying subsidy or not

2.do you develop your indigenous facilities to be an exporter of refined products or not
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by baralatie(m): 3:40pm On Aug 09, 2015
docadams:

I didn't lack in the main
the next question is

2.do you develop your indigenous facilities to be an exporter of refined products or not

3.do you put all your hopes on nnpc or you include the private sector to drive your oil and gas.
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by kennybabs1980: 3:54pm On Aug 09, 2015
The new boss of the NNPC will achieve that successfully, it is the wisest decision Baba can make at the moment, let those gluttonic crooks who called themselves importers go and build refineries if they still want to be involved in oil business, fuel importation should not be an all comers affair if government still want to sustain subsidy pending when the refineries both public and private will take off fully
wailers can go and die anyway, this is not the best of time for groaners,
Sai Baba!
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by ba7man(m): 3:59pm On Aug 09, 2015
Sincere9gerian:

How is this a good news? Should we be talking about who imports fuel or how to end fuel importation? Should we be talking about who imports fuel or the price you and I buy fuel?

You worshipers at buhari's shrine have taken sycophancy to new heights
We're trying our best. cheesy

............... but we can't seem to attain the lofty heights you achieved under GEJ. undecided

1 Like

Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by docadams: 4:02pm On Aug 09, 2015
baralatie:

the next question is

3.do you put all your hopes on nnpc or you include the private sector to drive your oil and gas.

Hmmmm
Some logic of an evasive forumite playing a judge and jury role.
What matters to you is the spending of N1.5trillion on subsidy well beyond a projected budgetary estimate of about N500b?
What's your goal in this world?
Remember my question is still pending.
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by baralatie(m): 4:14pm On Aug 09, 2015
docadams:

Hmmmm
Some logic of an evasive forumite playing a judge and jury role.
What matters to you is the spending of N1.5trillion on subsidy well beyond a projected budgetary estimate of about N500b?
What's your goal in this world?
Remember my question is still pending.
the question that lies before us and for the PMB administration is
1.how do we INCREASE THE GAINS of last administration in terms of
a,local content
b,oil and gas independency from foreign influence
c,accountability,monitoring and supervision

by going back to 1984 govt of "govt agency controlled market is not sustainable". it has proven not to work in the long run and has been fingered as the source of negative growth in oil and gas policies.this was what the last administration went about to tackle of which you saw the results.
so it is either we sustain the gains or not.
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by Splashme: 4:22pm On Aug 09, 2015
docadams:

With all happiness.
During GEJ, filling staions were selling at govt approved prices of #97 and later #87. Fuel was available everywhere. Throughout his 5yrs, we had only about three scarcities

The two months this Daura man has been in Aso Rock it's been between #100 - #150 depending on where you live. On a normal day, 80% of filling stations do not have products to sell.
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by Nobody: 4:27pm On Aug 09, 2015
janus05:
NNPC can lease some of d private tank farms. that is not a problem

1 Like

Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by Nobody: 4:29pm On Aug 09, 2015
Splashme:

With all happiness.

All filling staions were selling at govt approved prices of #97 and later #87. Fuel was available everywhere. Throughout his 5yrs, we had only about three scarcities

The two months this Daura man has been in Aso Rock it's been between #100 - #150 depending on where you live. On a normal day, 80% of filling stations do not have products to sell.

At what cost? with trillions paid as subsidy!!!! is fuel food? why should we waste so much money just to prevent scarcity?? Jonathan method was effective but was inefficient. Nigeria has more pressing issue to spend dat cash on than just to prevent scarcity. we need a cheaper solution to d problem. i think dat is what Buhari is trying to achieve. Cost Benefit analysis is very important b4 you judge if a decision was good or bad. d cost need to match d benefit.
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 09, 2015
It's a very excellent idea, but hw possible is it? Does nigeria have over 3 billion to invest monthly into it
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by atlwireles: 4:41pm On Aug 09, 2015
NNPC as the sole importer of oil? Soon Nitel will become the sole provider of telecom services and Nepa will be restored. Even in 2015, this country is trying desperately to remain in darkness. NNPC does not have the capacity to meet 50% of this Nation petrol demand. Maybe rationing is the new policy.
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by otumopkor(m): 5:03pm On Aug 09, 2015
Splashme:

With all happiness.
During GEJ, filling staions were selling at govt approved prices of #97 and later #87. Fuel was available everywhere. Throughout his 5yrs, we had only about three scarcities

Your naive! Listen, our government doesn't have the capacity to keep paying subsidy okay. Dont forget that the oil price was close to 100 dollars per barrel with Jonathan and its below 50 dollars with Buhari, meaning we simply cant continue feeding those thieves. You better start dealing with it.
Re: Buhari Wants NNPC To Be Sole Importers Of Petroleum Products – Emefiele by otumopkor(m): 5:06pm On Aug 09, 2015
atlwireles:
NNPC as the sole importer of oil? Soon Nitel will become the sole provider of telecom services and Nepa will be restored. Even in 2015, this country is trying desperately to remain in darkness. NNPC does not have the capacity to meet 50% of this Nation petrol demand. Maybe rationing is the new policy.

It would drive more dangote's into building refineries in the country. I cant believe your complaining even, he is trying to kill the import business of oil and create jobs. Here you are complaining. SMH undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NCC Remits N51.3bn To FG In Q1 / Osinbajo: Much Is Achieved When Public Resources Are Used For Public Good / Meet The Only Two Army Generals To Hailed From Same Parents In Nigeria: Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.