Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,268 members, 7,818,924 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse (24073 Views)

Diana: Good Girl Gone Bad / For Better, For Worse / Introducing The Reading Service: First Of Her Kind In Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by sparkleboy(m): 11:48pm On Aug 16, 2015
I sincerely think Seun should see this in order to at least regulate our front page and rid it of annoying celebrity topics that contribute virtually nothing to those who visit such threads. There are lots of interesting, inspirational and educative threads that never had views more than 10-100 just because some MODS are more interested in Tonto Dike or Seyi shay. lipsrsealed
In other words I think we need to CHANGE our value system in this country especially during this dispensation of CHANGE and put more value on real education rather than paper certificate while also not giving space to illiterates to lead us cheesy pun intended

joseph1013:

Yes, he appears more intelligent and superior intellectually than you just because he types in full and not shorthand.

No, it's a way of telling the world that you are a lazy person who cannot communicate effectively in writing.

So, tell me, are you under pressure when you write on facebook, whatsapp and nairaland? What time have you saved by writing in shorthand when it is easier to complete your sentences via built-in intellisense. I am probably faster than you in typing via intellisense than you are via shorthand.

[b]Of course, tenses and spellings are issues with the poorly-educated kids in Nigeria. However, we can do all of these corrections at the same time. They do not have to be mutually exclusive.

That the 'whites' have issues with certain words do not mean they do not have a better grasp of written communication than people like yourself.

As an aside, I've interacted personally with a number of educated Westerners (Europeans & North Americans) both in the physical & the virtual world. I stay in Africa and I interact with educated Africans on a daily basis. I took time to go through the link sagamite shared about the kids discussing feminism later that day and I'm left with only one conclusion: we educated Africans are not as intelligent as the Westerners. Full stop.

You may crucify me for saying this but that's the only conclusion I'm left with.

I know IQ is not a failproof test of intelligence. I'm not even sure if I can harvest IQ scores for Africans & Westerners and compare but if there's a reliable method of estimating intelligence, we educated Africans will score lower than our western counterparts. You listen to a Nigerian professor talk, you listen to a British undergraduate student talk and you wonder who's smarter.

I've interacted with toddlers from both parts of the world and somehow, I think there's no difference in the level of intelligence. So where did the disparity in adulthood come from? I know it's nothing genetic but purely environmental. There's only one answer: our educational system.

What we do here is basically rote learning. That's why most Nigerian intellectuals won't pass simple elementary-grade tests in deductive reasoning.

Why am I bothered? Because that's why we're mostly ignorant and sheepish and in turn, that's why we're still underdeveloped. That's why we are easily fleeced. That's why someone like you will come out openly to criticize something that ought to be common sense.

We focus our energies on irrelevances like 'stunning picture of Fani Kayode's wife' and leave out the relevant stuff about national and individual development. We're products of a handicapped system and the handicapped system is a product of our brains. [/b]
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by kingsleymiles(m): 7:28pm On Dec 05, 2016
good one brother... food for the brain..... i admire your art man

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Part 1 Sex Between Me & Son (18+ Only) / Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny / Untitled Fiction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.