Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,187 members, 7,822,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign (16148 Views)

Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do / Most Loved, Two Official Cars, Then Mysteriously Asked To Resign / Am About To Resign Because Of My Boss Wickedness,harrassments And Embarassments! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by fernandooleku(m): 10:11am On Aug 10, 2015
nwamummy96:
Please, i need advise from my fellow nairalanders on how to go about this. I work in a company in Lagos and just last week our MD contracted one consultant who told all of us to resign our appointment with the company.

He went ahead to tell us that he has placed an advert already on tuesday guardian that if we are still interested we should reapply and come for an interview with other applicants.

The company is owing us some months salary.

Please my fellow nairalanders my question is whether it is legally right to force all your staff to resign while you are owing them salary?

OMG!! So, witchcraft still dey for real??
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by yak(m): 10:11am On Aug 10, 2015
Google human rights commission , complain to dem. But before dat, do u av an appt. letter?
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by 2dillu2(m): 10:12am On Aug 10, 2015
K
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by prospero15(m): 10:13am On Aug 10, 2015
Resign??..if I really got ur case well it means he is fed up with ur services and needs new personnels..sue him joor nd dnt 4gt make preparation in gting a new job
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by Bellfun(m): 10:13am On Aug 10, 2015
Well,let's just assume that you guys have lost your jobs!
Now they want u to resign while still owing you!...pls consult a lawyer(go to Festus Keyamo or Femi Falana..they will instill fears in your employers mind!)...and u can also try Office of Public Defender too....but if u'r not satisfied with all these...then go ahead and "scandalize" the company...take the case to both radio n TV shows...they won't want that!
But in anything you do,pls do not resign..and do not resort to violence!
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by sucess001(m): 10:16am On Aug 10, 2015
Do not resign.

They should tell you what basis you they want you to resign on.

Dont sha resign.. let them 'sack' you.

Then you ask for your entitlements.

If they don't give you, take them to the industrial court.
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by MadCow1: 10:18am On Aug 10, 2015
emmydeep:
Do not resign.
They want to play u guys. Dont fall into their trap by
resigning.

Even if you resign they won't pay your salary.

Pls consult a sound lawyer. The company may end up making you a millionaire soon by paying you damages for illegal sack.

Congrats in advance if you play your card very well.

Sacking an employee being owed wages is not illegal sir. No dey advice am like who graduate from UNIBEN.

The conditions for termination most times also have the clause; "At Companies convenience", meaning anytime they feel like.

What he should be gunning for is that the company pays him his arrears and he has the right to claim interest on arrears as well or he should take them before the National Industrial Court of Nigeria first before taking them to civil court for damages.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 10, 2015
Since they are owing you people, you may not have the money to consult a legal practitioner to defend you people in the court.

I will kindly suggest that " the work force there" agree in one voice and to go the media house like punch newspaper for good write up and for the whole world to read.

Media coming in will disorganize the company management plans, including their plans to owe you guy, sack all and employ new ones.
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by dozymars(m): 10:24am On Aug 10, 2015
God is your source, not your Md
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by onyibajoe(m): 10:24am On Aug 10, 2015
1.National Industrial Court
2.Take a 2nd look at that your Offer Letter;what are the terms and conditions stated?
3.Talk to a Lawyer if you got evidence to tender.

Resignation without your arrears is a no.
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by Nobody: 10:30am On Aug 10, 2015
Labour Act
Chapter 198
Laws of the Federation of Nigeria
1990, (1) Subject to this section-
(a) the wages of a worker shall in all
contracts be made payable in legal
tender and not otherwise; and
(b) if in any contract the whole or any
part of the wages of a worker is made
payable in any other manner the
contract shall be illegal, null and
void.
there is a lot stated here which you should go see, and all of it states that your boss is trying to con you guys, and the bible also states in 1 timothy 5:18 For the Scripture says, “You shall not
muzzle an ox when it treads out the
grain,” and, “The laborer deserves his
wages.”
so the answer is NO.
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by boujaye: 10:31am On Aug 10, 2015
nwamummy96:
Please, i need advise from my fellow nairalanders on how to go about this. I work in a company in Lagos and just last week our MD contracted one consultant who told all of us to resign our appointment with the company.

He went ahead to tell us that he has placed an advert already on tuesday guardian that if we are still interested we should reapply and come for an interview with other applicants.

Please my fellow nairalanders my question is whether it is legally right to force all your staff to resign while you are owing them salary?

It may be too early to run into conclusion because when you put up your resignation letter, any financial obligation due you including your salary
should be paid as your terminal benefit. Has anyone resigned yet?

I don't know if your employment is covered by any condition of service or employee handbook.
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by Nobody: 10:33am On Aug 10, 2015
Go to human rights but I hope they are as active as they claim.
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by OsasuObayuwana: 10:33am On Aug 10, 2015
You have a right to be paid all outstanding. Before your appointment is terminated. Like a poster said above, consult your lawyer.

That being said I am a lawyer. I can assist you. The first step to be taken is to rally round all your colleagues affected and take a formal stand on the matter. After that you brief a lawyer to write the company complaining this ILLEGALITY. If they do not take any positive steps SUE THEM IN THE NATIONAL INDUSTRIAL COURT and claim DAMAGES

I can help with the last 2

You can reach me on 07037836881

Barrister Mark

1 Like

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by Nobody: 10:34am On Aug 10, 2015
elipheleh:
I blame all these rubbish happening on behari. If the govt provides the 3million yearly job this nonsense won't be happening.

Anyway, Sue him . Moreover go through the terms of employment you are given to you guys during employment , then you would see if it's legal or not. However they have to pay you guys 3 months salary ahead if they wish to dismiss you guys. That's is the law.

Why can't you have common sense for once!!

1 Like

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by lonelydora: 10:35am On Aug 10, 2015
Are you guys Unionised ? If No, then una own Don be...
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 10, 2015
nwamummy96,here you have a lawyer.
OsasuObayuwana:
You have a right to be paid all outstanding. Before your appointment is terminated. Like a poster said above, consult your lawyer.

That being said I am a lawyer. I can assist you. The first step to be taken is to rally round all your colleagues affected and take a formal stand on the matter. After that you brief a lawyer to write the company complaining this ILLEGALITY. If they do not take any positive steps SUE THEM IN THE NATIONAL INDUSTRIAL COURT and claim DAMAGES

I can help with the last 2

You can reach me on 07037836881

Barrister Mark
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by mentorandfriend(m): 10:41am On Aug 10, 2015
datacryd:
sue their asses
Brainless scumbag. When will you quit this? Registered a new moniker this morning abi?
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by AdeniyiA(m): 10:44am On Aug 10, 2015
nwamummy96:

Don't commit suicide by resigning but allow them to commit murder by sacking you, in that way they can be sued/questioned
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by jomoh: 10:58am On Aug 10, 2015
nwamummy96:
Thank u all for the advise.

More advise needed.

lalasticlala pls do the needful

If you resign they will claim you did voluntarily without due notice.

Do not resign. Keep going. If they are fed up of seeing you let them issued a letter of disengagement or they should put it into written form that you should resign.

Like others have advised, get a lawyer and get one quickly but your lawyer should not initiate any move until the company does. If he does, they will see it as a challenge and will be on the defensive.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by ochallo: 11:13am On Aug 10, 2015
Don't even make the mistake of resigning, you should come together and ask first that the company put that request in writing officially signed by the MD, if that is not available then do nothing. Meanwhile start looking for a job, you obviously don't have any now.

Secondly if the company sends you the letter asking you to resign, you would also then reply requesting that all your allowances and salaries duely quoted in your employment letter be paid, that is if you were given such at the time of your employment. If you weren't given any commitment letter from the time of your employment, then you have been shortchanged.

You should apply for the new job without resigning from this one, because you don't have to resign to apply, your company just wants to avoid paying you your arrears. Get a good lawyer but you cannot sue until you have documents to back it up.

1. You would need to sue the company for your arrears including damages for providing a poor working environment.
2. You would also sue the consulting company for not performing due diligence before embarking on consulting for the company, this can easily be thrown out of the court if it is not well structured , but if you get a good lawyer to construct this case, the consulting company would back off immediately, you may start first by threatening them to sue.

Once again, you would need to find another job, these cases would take ages and you should know by now, that the company you are working is not good.

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by rhythyson: 11:15am On Aug 10, 2015
Let me tell you these.

By Labour Law you are entitled to resign while the company has the right to sack you too. But in the case under review, what the company wants to do in a nutshell is to systematically turn all of you into a contract staff. That is why they are talking about a consultant etc.

Is the company a unionized company? is it a one man show company? if the answer is NO and YES then get a lawyer but if YES and YES then let the union do the Job. if it is YES and NO just quietly go to NECA is Ikeja for more professional advice.
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by hazyfm1: 11:19am On Aug 10, 2015
Omotayor123:
Good for you.... Why work for a company that can't even pay your salary

Just make sure that you are given a kind of promissory note stating when your outstanding salaries will be paid... And make sure it's duly signed so that you can file a case should they default!

Are U okay?
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by Rafiattayo: 11:31am On Aug 10, 2015
It really funny how these companies treat their staffs.I and my colleagues got layed off from work weeks back without the owner paying us our 4 months outstanding salary.We contacted a human right lawyer and he gave us his advice.We got our ex employer to put into writting how our money would be payed ,with his lawyer signing also.But he has defaulted the agreement,and we 'll take it up.
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by DisGuy: 11:31am On Aug 10, 2015
I like Nigerian employers sha

even if their company is killing them; they will withhold the name of the oga and the business!!

someone is owing you and you are still withholding the name of the CEO and his business-
perhaps you want other job seekers to fall into the same trap?
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by nwamummy96: 11:37am On Aug 10, 2015
Thank u all for the wonderful advises.

I appreciate

God bless y'all

1 Like

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by Nobody: 11:55am On Aug 10, 2015
elipheleh:
I blame all these rubbish happening on behari. If the govt provides the 3million yearly job this nonsense won't be happening.

Anyway, Sue him . Moreover go through the terms of employment you are given to you guys during employment , then you would see if it's legal or not. However they have to pay you guys 3 months salary ahead if they wish to dismiss you guys. That's is the law.

Na teeth or aboki prick President Buhari wan te produce 3 million jobs? I wonder when will you people understand what is called political mouthwash syndrome all politicians uses during their campaigning. and plz courtesy demands you address him as President Buhari, show some respect young man. you dare not call ur father by his name tongue

1 Like

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by Abugab(m): 11:57am On Aug 10, 2015
That MD must be a smart alec.
If you resign it means you losing your benefits accruing if you were retrenched.
Also, by resigning, you are not entitled to any benefits and he could just give you guys assurances to pay which he will never do.
Even with post dated cheques, they still default in paying.
Speak to a lawyer and let the lawyer advice you.
However, did the advice to resign come written or was just verbal?
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by cmecproblem(m): 12:31pm On Aug 10, 2015
How do employees keep working without receiving their salaries for months its very annoying, i am forced to believe you guys have other sources of income and how does the employer even sleep at night? i blame the economy sha, if you guys hadnt allowed them to owe you one month they wont have the guts to owe you many months. this is just very annoying, pls collect your salaries and move cos that place is not good.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Companies Hesitate To Employ Husband And Wife / 11,000 Rivers Civil Servants Forged Their Ages / Proposal For The Supply Of Ago(diesel)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.