Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,272 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:11 AM

Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign (16128 Views)

Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do / Most Loved, Two Official Cars, Then Mysteriously Asked To Resign / Am About To Resign Because Of My Boss Wickedness,harrassments And Embarassments! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by nwamummy96: 9:11am On Aug 10, 2015
Please, i need advise from my fellow nairalanders on how to go about this. I work in a company in Lagos and just last week our MD contracted one consultant who told all of us to resign our appointment with the company.

He went ahead to tell us that he has placed an advert already on tuesday guardian that if we are still interested we should reapply and come for an interview with other applicants.

The company is owing us some months salary.

Please my fellow nairalanders my question is whether it is legally right to force all your staff to resign while you are owing them salary?
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by bigiyaro(m): 9:32am On Aug 10, 2015
it all abt negotiation.
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by hazyfm1: 9:34am On Aug 10, 2015
sue their asss.. What nonsense!

Talk to a lawyer, Get all your arrears. U resign at your own risk!

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by coolestrogue(m): 9:39am On Aug 10, 2015
Nothing God cannot do, talk to him and he will fight for you.

3 Likes

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by Nobody: 9:43am On Aug 10, 2015
Do not resign.
They want to play u guys. Dont fall into their trap by
resigning.

Even if you resign they won't pay your salary.

Pls consult a sound lawyer. The company may end up making you a millionaire soon by paying you damages for illegal sack.

Congrats in advance if you play your card very well.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by nwamummy96: 9:52am On Aug 10, 2015
Thank u all for the advise.

More advise needed.

lalasticlala pls do the needful
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by veekid(m): 10:04am On Aug 10, 2015
don't know what to say, Buh anyways!!! talk go your lawyer
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by elipheleh(m): 10:05am On Aug 10, 2015
I blame all these rubbish happening on behari. If the govt provides the 3million yearly job this nonsense won't be happening.

Anyway, Sue him . Moreover go through the terms of employment you are given to you guys during employment , then you would see if it's legal or not. However they have to pay you guys 3 months salary ahead if they wish to dismiss you guys. That's is the law.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by Quote: 10:05am On Aug 10, 2015
no gre
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by bqlekan(m): 10:05am On Aug 10, 2015
Don't ever try it.. come together and file a lawsuit against the company. Then thread carefully, those companies have dubious ways of incriminating unwanted staffs. stay blessed

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by NotNairalandi(m): 10:06am On Aug 10, 2015
That's what you get from all this private companies,you just wake up oneday and findout that you have lose job.

Meanwhile you can report them to human right activists for your salary.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by dustydee: 10:06am On Aug 10, 2015
You are entitled to your salary and you can sue for it. Go to the industrial court.

3 Likes

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by datacryd: 10:07am On Aug 10, 2015
sue their asses

1 Like

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by allanphash7(m): 10:07am On Aug 10, 2015
There are two things that take you away from the job, its either the job leave you or you leave the job

17 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 10, 2015
oyo
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by sigiyaya(m): 10:07am On Aug 10, 2015
I suggest you meet Mr president because that is corruption undecided undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by maxiuc(m): 10:08am On Aug 10, 2015
This needs prayers then advise on how to go about it in jesus name anybody wey dey plan to commot food for our mouth th Na so God go commot him own food Amen
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by maxiuc(m): 10:08am On Aug 10, 2015
This needs prayers then advise on how to go about it in jesus name anybody wey dey plan to commot food for our Na so God go commot him own food Amen
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by belloabdulrazaq(m): 10:08am On Aug 10, 2015
Totally wrong. pyment b4 anytin.thanks.
nwamummy96:
Please, i need advise from my fellow nairalanders on how to go about this. I work in a company in Lagos and just last week our MD contracted one consultant who told all of us to resign our appointment with the company.

He went ahead to tell us that he has placed an advert already on tuesday guardian that if we are still interested we should reapply and come for an interview with other applicants.

Please my fellow nairalanders my question is whether it is legally right to force all your staff to resign while you are owing them salary?

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by MadCow1: 10:08am On Aug 10, 2015
Hahahahahahahahaha..

OP. A company can fire you whilst still owing you.

However they MUST pay you your arrears and you can sue them and even get some Interest on the wages including damages depending on.

But firing you is not a crime as if they keep you on they must then keep paying you for every extra day you remain there.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by godoluwa(m): 10:09am On Aug 10, 2015
get a gud lawyer
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by eightsin(m): 10:09am On Aug 10, 2015
Resign while they owe you It's a no.
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by Omotayor123(f): 10:10am On Aug 10, 2015
Good for you.... Why work for a company that can't even pay your salary

Just make sure that you are given a kind of promissory note stating when your outstanding salaries will be paid... And make sure it's duly signed so that you can file a case should they default!

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by Nobody: 10:10am On Aug 10, 2015
nwamummy96:

Contact Human Rights Commission

3 Likes

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by Nobody: 10:10am On Aug 10, 2015
Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by logica(m): 10:10am On Aug 10, 2015
Check your employment letter. It may give a clue why they would rather have you resign than sacked. Usually when you resign, you are not entitled to benefits (and you may even end up paying the firm as much as 3 months of your base salary). On the contrary, usually when you are sacked, you get benefits (as much as 3 months of your base in some cases).

Basically, an employment letter is a contract; and it states the terms of the contract. The usual thing is the contract "punishes" whoever terminates the contract. If you resign, you terminated the contract so you pay a fine to the firm. If the firm fires you, they terminated the contract so they pay a fine to you.

It all depends, though, on the terms stated in your employment letter.

10 Likes

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by guntranno(f): 10:11am On Aug 10, 2015
Name of company?

Most companies couldn't sustain paying staff's salaries and I think it's unethical to lay off staffs without paying their salaries n compensations(optional).

Worked in a coy (Name withheld) in Abuja... The fat-bellied man woke one day to lay off over 120 workers on the 18th day of the month. The funniest thing was that he only paid for the days worked buh not the full month salary.

Entrepreneurship is the best... May God bless our individual n collective hustle.

*Lesson*

You've tasted how some company owners treated their staffs... Whenever you're opportune to own a company, please be kind to your employees.

Check the content of your employment letter...

Contact the office of Human Right Commission if you guys couldn't afford the services of some legal practitioners

4 Likes

Re: Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign by seemsnice: 10:11am On Aug 10, 2015
nwamummy96:

pls my bros, don't just try to resign, let d decision be their own to resign you, they don't want to pay you and if you resign they will say, u resigned voluntarily which may cause u not to get any pay for but if they forcefully resign u, then you can contact a lawyer which will fight for you.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Are The Career Opportunities For English Graduates? / Why Companies Hesitate To Employ Husband And Wife / 11,000 Rivers Civil Servants Forged Their Ages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.