Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,285 members, 7,815,482 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance (26424 Views)

List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People / Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 7:10am On Aug 11, 2015
I was at a Nigerian party the other day and I was in deep dialogue with this curvy Yoruba girl. Then out of the blue, she asked me what me tribe was and she stated that "I looked Igbo".. So I'm wondering if it is possible to identify a particular ethnic group based on certain physical features.
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by 1shortblackboy: 9:13am On Aug 11, 2015
undecided

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 10:49am On Aug 11, 2015
Well I mean in Naija they have the obvious physical stereotypes

Igbo's are fair, muscular, hairy
Yorubas are bootylicious (for the women), dark, short(?)
Hausas are tall and dark and slim
Fulanis are tall and fair-ish and slim

So if you're a fair dude who's hairy people may just assume you're Igbo until proven otherwise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by tpiander: 4:50pm On Aug 11, 2015
Not again.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Fulaman198(m): 5:06pm On Aug 11, 2015
tpiander:
Not again.

smiley
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 6:17pm On Aug 11, 2015
tpiander:
Not again.

smiley
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by scholes0(m): 2:14am On Aug 12, 2015
MrsPhyno:
Well I mean in Naija they have the obvious physical stereotypes

Igbo's are fair, strong looking, hairy, light eyes at times
Yorubas are bootylicious (for the women), dark, short(?)
Hausas are tall and dark and slim
Fulanis are tall and fair-ish and slim

So if you're a fair dude who's hairy people may just assume you're Igbo until proven otherwise. Just like a very dark lady with a big a** will be assumed to be Yoruba until further inspection I guess grin

lol, what a load of bullshit....
Until you explain to the world the difference between these fair skinned, hairy, strong and light eyed igbos:

And these very dark, short, bootylicious Yoruba people:

Then you are only demonstrating your stewpidity to the world.

5 Likes

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by scholes0(m): 2:18am On Aug 12, 2015
To the OP, I would say while there can sometimes be distinct physical differences among some individuals belonging to various ethnic groups (i.e only on an individual basis), It can sometimes be hard to tell the difference between ethnic groups, especially when one wears an ethnic clothing associated with another.
So I would say , except an individual looks extremely stereotypic of an ethnic group, it can be hard to tell.
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by KanwuliaJara: 2:27am On Aug 12, 2015
clothes do not make a tribe!!!! kiss

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by KanwuliaJara: 2:28am On Aug 12, 2015
All NIGERIANS LOOK ALIKE WITH POVERTY OR WEALTH!
Bottom line?
You can NEVER TELL EVEN WITH THEIR TRIBAL OUTFITS! kiss

3 Likes

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by tpiander: 2:28am On Aug 12, 2015
these fair skinned . . . and light eyed igbos

you mean oyibo?

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by scholes0(m): 2:30am On Aug 12, 2015
tpiander:

you mean oyibo?

Loool. I was only using her own words ohhh.... the way she described Igbos.
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 3:10am On Aug 12, 2015
scholes0:

lol, what a load of bullshit....
Until you explain to the world the difference between these fair skinned, hairy, strong and light eyed igbos:

And these very dark, short, bootylicious Yoruba people:

Then you are only demonstrating your stewpidity to the world.
Lol. I didn't say that that was the reality. I said that those are stereotypes. I myself am not fair and I'm 100% Igbo so obviously I know these things aren't true.

My point is if you see a fair muscular very hairy girl in Nigeria, most will assume she's Igbo. (That's just an example.) So if a person carries a lot of the traits associated with an ethnicity people will suppose they belong to that ethnicity. I'm not talking about the reality of the thing but why OPs friend made such an assumption.

So it's not at all possible to identify ethnicity by looks but people can assume if you have alot of certain characteristics. To quote you "except an individual looks extremely stereotypic of an ethnic group, it can be hard to tell". That's all I was trying to say sorry if you got it wrong but there's no need for insults sir.

*Modified*
From your posts I checked I can see why you misunderstood my comments........

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by scholes0(m): 3:50am On Aug 12, 2015
MrsPhyno:

Lol. I didn't say that that was the reality. I said that those are stereotypes. I myself am not fair and I'm 100% Igbo so obviously I know these things aren't true.

My point is if you see a fair muscular very hairy girl in Nigeria, most will assume she's Igbo. (That's just an example.) So if a person carries a lot of the traits associated with an ethnicity people will suppose they belong to that ethnicity. I'm not talking about the reality of the thing but why OPs friend made such an assumption.

So it's not at all possible to identify ethnicity by looks but people can assume if you have alot of certain characteristics. To quote you "except an individual looks extremely stereotypic of an ethnic group, it can be hard to tell". That's all I was trying to say sorry if you got it wrong but there's no need for insults sir.

*Modified*

grin grin grin
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 5:01am On Aug 12, 2015
MrsPhyno:

*Modified*

I know some Yoruba girls at my university who are light without bleaching.. so I guess that stereotype is smashed.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by tpiander: 5:15am On Aug 12, 2015
^some Esans look Igbo.

i'm sure you dont find that strange?

2 Likes

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 5:19am On Aug 12, 2015
tpiander:
^some Esans look Igbo.

i'm sure you dont find that strange?

I've heard of that. I've been mistaken for Igbo for whatever reason.
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 5:46am On Aug 12, 2015
aim5:

I know some Yoruba girls at my university who are light without bleaching.. so I guess that stereotype is smashed.
Lol
Hope say you know the meaning of stereotype........

2 Likes

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 5:50am On Aug 12, 2015
MrsPhyno:

Lol
Hope say you know the meaning of stereotype........

I do. I'm just pointing out things that aren't the "norm" so to speak.
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 5:53am On Aug 12, 2015
aim5:

I do. I'm just pointing out things that aren't the "norm" so to speak.
Okay..... By virtue of it "not being the norm" the stereotype still isn't smashed.....
Not sure of your point here....

*Modified*
Not to be rude or anything but some of you on this thread seem unhealthily obsessed with skin colour from what I can see of your posts. Please don't involve me in that issue. Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 6:08am On Aug 12, 2015
MrsPhyno:

Okay..... By virtue of it "not being the norm" the stereotype still isn't smashed.....

*Modified*
Not to be rude or anything but some of you on this thread seem unhealthily obsessed with skin colour from what I can see of your posts. Please don't involve me in that issue. Thanks.

Hahahahahahahaahahahahahaha skin colors are interesting na. I love all shades of black tho, so I'm not colorstruck.
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 6:09am On Aug 12, 2015
MrsPhyno:

*Modified*

Haha "smashed" wink
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Afam4eva(m): 8:27am On Aug 12, 2015
aim5:
I was at a Nigerian party the other day and I was in deep dialogue with this curvy Yoruba girl. Then out of the blue, she asked me what me tribe was and she stated that "I looked Igbo".. So I'm wondering if it is possible to identify a particular ethnic group based on certain physical features.
Yes, its possible to discern the tribe someone comes from and I possess that gift pretty well. Though this days, its becoming harder to decipher but still possible. There was a girl I saw and just to prove of how sure i was that she was Igbo, I approached her and started speaking Igbo only for her to tell me that she's Yoruba but she told me she gets it a lot from people thinking she's Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Afam4eva(m): 8:29am On Aug 12, 2015
aim5:

I can tell a light complexioned girl from Imo from one from Anambra let alone one that is Yoruba. They may all be fair but the tone usually gives them away.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 8:59am On Aug 12, 2015
Well, I guess some people are specially gifted. The only groups I can (most times) tell apart from the rest of Nigerians are some Sahelian groups like the Shuwa, the Kanuri and the Fulani. I used to think I could tell who is Hausa too until I took a class that was 85% Hausa, and most of them didn't look much different from Middle Belt and Southern Nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 11:32am On Aug 12, 2015
Afam4eva:

I can tell a light complexioned girl from Imo from one from Anambra let alone one that is Yoruba. They may all be fair but the tone usually gives them away.

The facial features give them away as well.
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Fulaman198(m): 6:59pm On Aug 12, 2015
Can we do a thread on ethnic groups with women that have the most beautiful feet and toes?
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 12:27am On Aug 13, 2015
Fulaman198:
Can we do a thread on ethnic groups with women that have the most beautiful feet and toes?

I've heard than Fulani women have some delicious looking feet.. Have you tasted them yet?

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Fulaman198(m): 12:34am On Aug 13, 2015
aim5:

I've heard than Fulani women have some delicious looking feet.. Have you tasted them yet?

Only in my kinkiest and wildest of dreams cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by gundie(f): 10:41pm On Jan 14, 2016
im not Nigerian but i have assosciated so much with nigerians to an extent that i know if one is Yoruba or Igbo just frm looks lol.... 95.9% of the time im right..... one thing that i also noticed is that amongst the few hausa ive met they dont look nigerian...most of the times its hard to believe they b naija but could tell frm accent that they ate west african

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Fulaman198(m): 10:45pm On Jan 14, 2016
gundie:
im not Nigerian but i have assosciated so much with nigerians to an extent that i know if one is Yoruba or Igbo just frm looks lol.... 95.9% of the time im right..... one thing that i also noticed is that amongst the few hausa ive met they dont look nigerian...most of the times its hard to believe they b naija but could tell frm accent that they ate west african

There is no such thing as looking Nigerian. I'm glad you said you are not Nigerian. Nigeria has 250 ethnic groups.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by tpiah2: 11:03pm On Jan 14, 2016
Hausas tend to look more like the Sahelian groups is what she means.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... / How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani / My Boyfriend's Parents Don't Approve Me, And They Haven't Even Met Me Yet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.