Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,266 members, 7,815,438 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

Are Afikpo People Igbos? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Afikpo People Igbos? (9939 Views)

Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims / Wanted Dimka Lured To Afikpo Due To Lust For Girlfriend / Massive Protest In Afikpo, Ebonyi Against EEDC (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 11:34am On Aug 11, 2015
I am asking because I can't understand anything they are saying
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by likila: 11:39am On Aug 11, 2015
i think they are Calabar
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 11:43am On Aug 11, 2015
dialfa:
Tune your ears.
You have spent too much time listening to township Igbo smiley

20 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by EastLebanon(m): 11:44am On Aug 11, 2015
If u can't understand them it means u are not igbo,when u do understand afikpo dialect how can u understand the izza and ezza dialect?

16 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 11:46am On Aug 11, 2015
imhotep:

Tune your ears.
You have spent too much time listening to township Igbo smiley

ol boy, it's not for lack of trying
i have tuned everything, my ears, lip reading, etc, i can't get them
I understand Igbo from nsukka dialect to ikwerre to asaba, owerri, anambra, ngwa etc, but afikpo people make no sense

5 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by abagoro(m): 11:47am On Aug 11, 2015
EastLebanon:
If u can't understand them it means u are not igbo,when u do understand afikpo dialect how can u understand the izza and ezza dialect?

He probably is from a far place. Someone from Abiriba, Ohafia, Edda, Nkporo, Ishiagu, Ohaozara and Arochukwu area understands Ehugbo with ease.

Igbo dialects are generally not easily intelligible to someone who has not mixed with all parts of Igboland.

5 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 11:47am On Aug 11, 2015
EastLebanon:

ezza is very easy to understand

have you heard afikpo people speak amongst themselves?

7 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 11:48am On Aug 11, 2015
Op yes they are Igbo with their own dialect. Now allow this Thread to die and go open it in culture section. It doesn't belong here.

8 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by johnmark1234(m): 11:48am On Aug 11, 2015
EastLebanon:
Igbo Igbo Igbo every were nawa for unaoo

1 Like

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by ifyalways(f): 11:49am On Aug 11, 2015
They are Igbos.

Thread closed.

23 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by abagoro(m): 11:50am On Aug 11, 2015
Ali Ehugbo nwo'm ni jokwa!
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 11:51am On Aug 11, 2015
dialfa:

OP are you suffering from igbophobia undecided , if they are not igbos , wht then are they? south south or yoloba-igbo grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 11:53am On Aug 11, 2015
abagoro:

see what i mean

1 Like

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 11:54am On Aug 11, 2015
dialfa:

their Igbo language is different, but they are igbos.

But for ur info, ur language does not really make u Igbo, the main thing that makes u Igbo is tradition, culture, etc. Igbo marriage, burial rites , child dedication, cultural circumscision etc is what connects all igbos together.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by abagoro(m): 11:56am On Aug 11, 2015
As an Igbo man with deep knowledge of almost entire Igbo dialects I believe the form of Igbo spoken in Afikpo and Ika are the purest even though they both occupy the extreme fringes of Igbo speakers.

10 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by NgeneUkwenu(f): 12:04pm On Aug 11, 2015
abagoro:

Tokwu uhuu!!! Afikpo dialect is very easy to assimilate and is far better than Nsukka, Ezza or Izzi. I spent some years here in my formative period.
I can still vividly remember some historic and cultural rivers such as iyiechi Ukpa, otalenkwo, oziza beach etc. Afikpo people are very friendly but stingy grin

The only people I have problem understanding their dialect is Effium people of Ebonyi State.

5 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 12:05pm On Aug 11, 2015
abagoro:

tell me if i'm near: Ehugbo land owns me and ijokwa
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by NgeneUkwenu(f): 12:09pm On Aug 11, 2015
abagoro:
As an Igbo man with deep knowledge of almost entire Igbo dialects I believe the form of Igbo spoken in Afikpo and Ika are the purest even though they both occupy the extreme fringes of Igbo speakers.

The same here, with the exception of Effium dialect which I am 100% sure is not an Igbo Language.

Afikpo also has a very rich culture. I love their masquerades grin In the days of yore, they used to chase "shit" out of us the students, especially the "ote erus" grin
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 12:11pm On Aug 11, 2015
From their own account, it seems they are descendants of another tribe called Akpa, that were adopted by Igbo Ukwu

The origin of Ehugbo is wrapped in myth and mystery. No one is certain of the time the geographical entity called Afikpo came into existence. The most reliable account of the origin of Afikpo states that the founder was a man of Hebrew race who migrated from the east. It is believed that a great warrior called Igbo Ukwu and his followers set out from the east (Israel) in search of conquest and settlement. He got to North Africa from where he crossed to Nigeria and settled at Ikoyi, Lagos.

Later, Igbo Ukwu proceeded to Calabar from where he attacked and defeated the Ibibios but met with stiff opposition from a tribe known as the Akpa. Angered by the obstinacy of Akpa people, Igbo Ukwu waged war of attrition against them. He exterminated almost the entire tribe and rendered the land desolate. A few remnants of the Akpa people surrendered to Igbo, while others scattered to other places. Among those who surrendered was a man called Egwu Urochi.

Egwu Urochi was a powerful warrior and the greatest of the Akpa people. He and a few other captives were taken to Arochukwu by Igbo Ukwu. Because Egwu Urochi was a powerful warrior and had other sterling qualities, Igbo Ukwu adopted him as his son and made him the leader and commander of his army.

http://www.ebonyionline.com/origin-of-afikpo-ehugbo/
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by brize(m): 12:11pm On Aug 11, 2015
Yes they are, they are also biafra

2 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 12:20pm On Aug 11, 2015
dialfa:

The same way you can't hear interior Ngwa unless you decode few words based on the context being discussed.

Ngwa people have different language from the Igbos hence they are not Igbos but Biafrans.

grin

grin

grin

2 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Aug 11, 2015
dialfa:

ol boy, it's not for lack of trying
i have tuned everything, my ears, lip reading, etc, i can't get them
I understand Igbo from nsukka dialect to ikwerre to asaba, owerri, anambra, ngwa etc, but afikpo people make no sense
Ok no wahala smiley
Igbo language has about 20 dialects.
I understand LoL
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 12:37pm On Aug 11, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:

The same way you can't hear interior Ngwa unless you decode few words based on the context being discussed.

Ngwa people have different language from the Igbos hence they are not Igbos but Biafrans.

grin

grin

grin

I understand ngwa completely.

2 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by m4una(m): 1:11pm On Aug 11, 2015
No, they are from the west north tribe.
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 11, 2015
m4una:
No, they are from the west north tribe.

mba, they are from the interior northern west east central tribe. cheesy grin , stupid topic
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by okpukpu(m): 1:15pm On Aug 11, 2015
As an Afikpo guy, YES!!! we are IGBO. Incase you dont know.. Ehugbo means, Afoigbo. Hope you know now. You dont understand our dialect isnt our fault but yours.

10 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 11, 2015
okpukpu:
As an Afikpo guy, YES!!! we are IGBO. Incase you dont know.. Ehugbo means, Afoigbo. Hope you know now. You dont understand our dialect isnt our fault but yours.

i wonder why you dey answer the OP, nna let us close this topic

1 Like

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by shineeye: 1:19pm On Aug 11, 2015
chuna1985:

their Igbo language is different, but they are igbos.

But for ur info, ur language does not really make u Igbo, the main thing that makes u Igbo is tradition, culture, etc. Igbo marriage, burial rites , child dedication, cultural circumscision etc is what connects all igbos together.
true

1 Like

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by m4una(m): 1:23pm On Aug 11, 2015
willow0802:

mba, they are from the interior northern west east central tribe. cheesy grin , stupid topic
Bros, i tire for all these useless ajuju's.
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by OfoIgbo: 1:33pm On Aug 11, 2015
The current president-general of Ohanaeze Ndigbo worldwide is a native of Afikpo. His name is Chief Gary Enwo-Igariwey.

I hope that answers the question

5 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Aug 11, 2015
abagoro:

He probably is from a far place. Someone from Abiriba, Ohafia, Edda, Nkporo, Ishiagu, Ohaozara and Arochukwu area understands Ehugbo with ease.

Igbo dialects are generally not easily intelligible to someone who has not mixed with all parts of Igboland.
I am from mbano,but most times d Mbaise dialect confuses me.

5 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 1:38pm On Aug 11, 2015
OfoIgbo:
The current president-general of Ohanaeze Ndigbo worldwide is a native of Afikpo. His name is Chief Gary Enwo-Igariwey.

I hope that answers the question

No, it doesn't.

We have been raised to believe many things that history don't agree with.
They may or may not be Igbos. I don't know which is why I'm asking. From what's posted above culled from their website, even themselves doubt as per their origins.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See Photos Of Corpses Army Recovered During Search Of Dead Body Of Major Alkali / 2023 Presidency: God Will Use Umahi To Transform Nigeria - Prince Arthur Eze / Videos And Pictures From APC Presidential Rally In Bauchi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.