Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Are Afikpo People Igbos? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Afikpo People Igbos? (9936 Views)

Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims / Wanted Dimka Lured To Afikpo Due To Lust For Girlfriend / Massive Protest In Afikpo, Ebonyi Against EEDC (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by donpope1(m): 1:47pm On Aug 11, 2015
dialfa:
From their own account, it seems they are descendants of another tribe called Akpa, that were adopted by Igbo Ukwu

http://www.ebonyionline.com/origin-of-afikpo-ehugbo/
whoever that gave that account needs to be exterminated for ever!!
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Sinbad2(m): 1:58pm On Aug 11, 2015
If you can understand Ezza,Agba (Ishielu LGA) then you wouldn't have problem understanding them though its smhw difficult. smileyIf you can understand Ezza,Agba (Ishielu LGA) then you wouldn't have problem understanding them though its smhw difficult.
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 2:38pm On Aug 11, 2015
dialfa:

I understand ngwa completely.

I hear Afikpo and understand their spoken dialect

Do you know Ngwa dialect have different alphabet from your usual Igbo alphabet.

Can you write Ngwa dialect with Igbo alphabets without missing in translation?

Your problem with hearing Ebonyi people then is that you haven't lived or spent quality time with them.

3 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by chidexy(m): 3:02pm On Aug 11, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

The same here, with the exception of Effium dialect which I am 100% sure is not an Igbo Language.

Afikpo also has a very rich culture. I love their masquerades grin In the days of yore, they used to chase "shit" out of us the students, especially the "ote erus" grin

Nne, it seems you attended SFAIGS

1 Like

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by 400billionman: 3:31pm On Aug 11, 2015
dialfa:
I am asking because I can't understand anything they are saying

What of Arochukwu. ?
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by chumakk: 3:31pm On Aug 11, 2015
Yes o! Almost all Ebonyi state laguagues are hard to understand

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by disumusa: 3:49pm On Aug 11, 2015
dialfa:

No, it doesn't.

We have been raised to believe many things that history don't agree with.
They may or may not be Igbos. I don't know which is why I'm asking. From what's posted above culled from their website, even themselves doubt as per their origins.
pls stop that, these people are northern an Hausas.
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by m4una(m): 4:40pm On Aug 11, 2015
disumusa:
pls stop that, these people are northern an Hausas.
No mind am, pple wey come from west north tribe.
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Yeske2(m): 4:51pm On Aug 11, 2015
@OP, they are not Igbos but Ashanti from Ghana. That you don't understand their dialect shouldn't make you question their Igboness.
Since i don't understand Aro or Ohafia dialect, I guess they're from Cameroon.

9 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:07pm On Aug 11, 2015
dialfa:
I understand ngwa completely.
Mind if I ask you who your people are?
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 11:35pm On Aug 11, 2015
ChinenyeN:

Mind if I ask you who your people are?

yes
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by ERODEDEAST(f): 12:18am On Aug 12, 2015
Njekwa People are not Hee.Gbos
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by comrChris(m): 12:30am On Aug 12, 2015
op your question is senseless

have you met any afikpo person and the refuse to respond to you with general igbo? the fact they have their own dialect which is not far different from main Igbo doesn't call for this

everybody in afikpo speaks and writes general Igbo well even more than some of your people op

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by comrChris(m): 12:30am On Aug 12, 2015
op your question is senseless

have you met any afikpo person and the person refuse to respond to you with general igbo? the fact they have their own dialect which is not far different from main Igbo doesn't call for this

everybody in afikpo speaks and writes general Igbo well even more than some of your people op

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dokiOloye(m): 12:34am On Aug 12, 2015
EastLebanon:
If u can't understand them it means u are not igbo,when u do understand afikpo dialect how can u understand the izza and ezza dialect?
Ezza language is nearer to central Igbo than Afikpo.
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dokiOloye(m): 12:40am On Aug 12, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

Tokwu uhuu!!! Afikpo dialect is very easy to assimilate and is far better than Nsukka, Ezza or Izzi. I spent some years here in my formative period.
I can still vividly remember some historic and cultural rivers such as iyiechi Ukpa, otalenkwo, oziza beach etc. Afikpo people are very friendly but stingy grin

The only people I have problem understanding their dialect is Effium people of Ebonyi State.
Effium is generally two parts,d part that originates from cross river or Benue or so who speak a totally strange language and then d Ezza part who speak Ezza language which is d closest to central Igbo in d whole of d languages spoken in present day Ebonyi state.
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by naijaking1: 12:47am On Aug 12, 2015
If oil had been discovered in Afikpo it would have certainly been in Cross River, Kogi, or even Gombe state by now

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:48am On Aug 12, 2015
dialfa:
yes
Okay, who are your people then? (and I don't mean LGA or state. I mean your clan proper and hometown).

1 Like

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by egift(m): 1:22am On Aug 12, 2015
abagoro:
Ali Ehugbo nwo'm ni jokwa!

Jokwa di nwa. I mere egah? I ki labaghi? I mu eya ne me gini na etiti abali? Debe kwere anyi uba-oyi. grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by mensdept: 3:08am On Aug 12, 2015
Is this politics or what? Everyday are these people Igbo or those people Yoruba? You guys are local

2 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by funkybully(f): 6:21am On Aug 12, 2015
OP chili ise.

Go Ask Afikpo chic, d owner of igboist n ndigbo Facebook group, if she is igbo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by omonnakoda: 6:26am On Aug 12, 2015
abagoro:

He probably is from a far place. Someone from Abiriba, Ohafia, Edda, Nkporo, Ishiagu, Ohaozara and Arochukwu area understands Ehugbo with ease.

Igbo dialects are generally not easily intelligible to someone who has not mixed with all parts of Igboland.
There is nothing like Igboland
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 7:35am On Aug 12, 2015
ChinenyeN:

Okay, who are your people then? (and I don't mean LGA or state. I mean your clan proper and hometown).
why?
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 7:40am On Aug 12, 2015
Stvpid op

2 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by zendy: 7:56am On Aug 12, 2015
I have to admit that the Izzi/Ezza/Afikpo dialects are the toughest to understand but they are 100% Igbo. What I usually advice anyone who goes there but cant follow is to ask them to switch to central Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 9:07am On Aug 12, 2015
There are several Igbo dialects that I don't understand and the Abakaliki dialects are some of them. You can literally sell me in Izzi or Izza dialect. It's that bad.
Anyway, back to the question. Afikpo people are definitely Igbos there is no doubt about it, even though their Igbo sounds like a totally different language.

1 Like

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by lionduke(m): 9:33am On Aug 12, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

Tokwu uhuu!!! Afikpo dialect is very easy to assimilate and is far better than Nsukka, Ezza or Izzi. I spent some years here in my formative period.
I can still vividly remember some historic and cultural rivers such as iyiechi Ukpa, otalenkwo, oziza beach etc. Afikpo people are very friendly but stingy grin

The only people I have problem understanding their dialect is Effium people of Ebonyi State.

No language is more better.....

4 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 11:39am On Aug 12, 2015
lionduke:

No language is more better.....

Anything, even monkey noises, is better than yolobar language
Tufiakwa - each time I hear a yolobar word, a few cells die in my body

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:10pm On Aug 12, 2015
dialfa:
why?
You said I could ask, so why are you making this difficult? Anyway, I'm trying to establish some basis to help explain why you believe you understand Ngwa completely. It's either that your people's settlement has to be relatively close by, or that you've spent some time in the area or with some Ngwa to help you get acquainted to Ngwa speech.

If it's none if those, then I'd like to know what it is that lets you believe you understand Ngwa completely. Otherwise, it just seems as though you're either lying or you're probably not aware of what Ngwa is and might be confusing it with Aba township Igbo, which isn't even close.
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 5:49pm On Aug 12, 2015
ChinenyeN:

You said I could ask, so why are you making this difficult? Anyway, I'm trying to establish some basis to help explain why you believe you understand Ngwa completely. It's either that your people's settlement has to be relatively close by, or that you've spent some time in the area or with some Ngwa to help you get acquainted to Ngwa speech.

If it's none if those, then I'd like to know what it is that lets you believe you understand Ngwa completely. Otherwise, it just seems as though you're either lying or you're probably not aware of what Ngwa is and might be confusing it with Aba township Igbo, which isn't even close.

I'm from nnewi, I grew up amongst many nationalities including ngwa and afikpo
I understood ngwa people very well and other Igbos, even those from delta state, nsukka etc, abakaliki was a bit hard but I did pick a few words from my okada driver friends, lol
however afipko, no matter how I try was impossible to get
maybe it's me

3 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:57am On Aug 13, 2015
Oh okay. Thanks for sharing that dialfa. I appreciate that.
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 6:38am On Aug 13, 2015
dialfa:

I'm from nnewi, I grew up amongst many nationalities including ngwa and afikpo
I understood ngwa people very well and other Igbos, even those from delta state, nsukka etc, abakaliki was a bit hard but I did pick a few words from my okada driver friends, lol
however afipko, no matter how I try was impossible to get
maybe it's me

OP, if u think u can understand Ngwa dialect, go and speak to Abala-Ibeme people. I swear you will call them another tribe. Ibeme dialect is totally different from all Igbos spoken anywhere, but they're hard core Ngwa, Igbo and Biafrans.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Niger To Transfer 500 Boko Haram Prisoners To Nigeria - Reuters / Osun Denies Receiving N82b From FG / ‘Don’t Be Unruly’ — LP Chairman Cautions Peter Obi’s Supporters Against Violence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.