Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,314 members, 7,815,575 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Are Afikpo People Igbos? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Afikpo People Igbos? (9940 Views)

Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims / Wanted Dimka Lured To Afikpo Due To Lust For Girlfriend / Massive Protest In Afikpo, Ebonyi Against EEDC (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by oluspencer(m): 7:04am On Aug 13, 2015
imhotep:

Tune your ears.
You have spent too much time listening to township Igbo smiley

He has been relating with civililized yoruba's here in lagos............ His only affilated to the jungle but can't communicate with the baboons
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 1:39pm On Aug 14, 2015
Are there two Afikpos?

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 1:44pm On Aug 14, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:

I hear Afikpo and understand their spoken dialect

Do you know Ngwa dialect have different alphabet from your usual Igbo alphabet.

Can you write Ngwa dialect with Igbo alphabets without missing in translation?

Your problem with hearing Ebonyi people then is that you haven't lived or spent quality time with them.

NgeneUkwenu:

Tokwu uhuu!!! Afikpo dialect is very easy to assimilate and is far better than Nsukka, Ezza or Izzi. I spent some years here in my formative period.
I can still vividly remember some historic and cultural rivers such as iyiechi Ukpa, otalenkwo, oziza beach etc. Afikpo people are very friendly but stingy grin

The only people I have problem understanding their dialect is Effium people of Ebonyi State.

abagoro:
As an Igbo man with deep knowledge of almost entire Igbo dialects I believe the form of Igbo spoken in Afikpo and Ika are the purest even though they both occupy the extreme fringes of Igbo speakers.

chuna1985:

their Igbo language is different, but they are igbos.

But for ur info, ur language does not really make u Igbo, the main thing that makes u Igbo is tradition, culture, etc. Igbo marriage, burial rites , child dedication, cultural circumscision etc is what connects all igbos together.

ifyalways:
They are Igbos.

Thread closed.

EastLebanon:
If u can't understand them it means u are not igbo,when u do understand afikpo dialect how can u understand the izza and ezza dialect?

Guys, we may not be speaking about the same Afikpo. There seems to be two of them.
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Aug 14, 2015
dialfa:

Guys, we may not be speaking about the same Afikpo. There seems to be two of them.

please visit afikpo.
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 4:39pm On Aug 14, 2015
chuna1985:

please visit afikpo.

which one?
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 14, 2015
dialfa:

which one?
Ebonyi state...
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 4:48pm On Aug 14, 2015
chuna1985:

Ebonyi state...

they are both in Ebonyi state

One is near Ishiagu while the other is near the cross rivers border

See the map I uploaded up there
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 4:55pm On Aug 14, 2015
Google map shows that about one third of Afikpo is in cross river state.

How did that happen?

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Ezemust: 4:59pm On Aug 14, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

Tokwu uhuu!!! Afikpo dialect is very easy to assimilate and is far better than Nsukka, Ezza or Izzi. I spent some years here in my formative period.
I can still vividly remember some historic and cultural rivers such as iyiechi Ukpa, otalenkwo, oziza beach etc. Afikpo people are very friendly but stingy grin

The only people I have problem understanding their dialect is Effium people of Ebonyi State.
espeaklekwe.omaagaa?
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Aug 14, 2015
dialfa:

they are both in Ebonyi state
One is near Ishiagu while the other is near the cross rivers border
See the map I uploaded up there

never heard of it. will ask around dis evening.

ur map could be wrong too.
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 5:01pm On Aug 14, 2015
chuna1985:

Google map lies? I thought google was my friend
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Aug 14, 2015
dialfa:

Google map lies? I thought google was my friend

Doesn't Google direct u to all those useless blogs opened by Nigerians
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Aug 14, 2015
I think we should be careful here. I do not know what the OP hope to achieve from this but it is not nice to sound discriminatory.

Discriminatory attitudes does not help the Biafran cause. I am from Cross River and I am probably more Biafran than some people from Anambra, Imo or Abia. Biafra is in the heart and not where you are from.

I am from Cross River, not far from Itigidi on the map, not far from Ediba on the map and not too far from Afikpo. Close to my village we have some settlers who are originally 'Abiriba'. They now speak our language so you cannot say for example that they are less Biafran because they speak a diferent language.

Spread unity and not hate or discrimination amongs Biafrans. Even if you do not understand wht the Afikpo people speak, that does not make you superior in any way.

Peace.

3 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 14, 2015
dialfa:
Google map shows that about one third of Afikpo is in cross river state.

How did that happen?

I am from somewhere in the red circle. The river you see there flows through my lovely villa. Opposite my villa is Oziza town in Ebonyi state. Oziza is barely 20 mins from Afikpo. So I do not think any part of Afikpo is in Cross River state. The river does the separation between Cross River and Ebonyi there.

1 Like

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Aug 14, 2015
chuna1985:

My friend Chuna, I hope you are doing well. You are one of the strong and passionate Biafrans on nairaland. Well done. You probably have good intentions with your post but we should try hard to foster unity amongs Biafrans. Dialect should not be an issue. I have spent a long time in the North to see how they appreciate each other. Hausa is widely spoken - it is virtually the lingua franca in the north. We have Sokoto/Zamfara Hausa, Kano Hausa, etc. They do not discriminate.

We can have Igbo as one of the official Biafran languages (I have no issues with that). Most of my people have the aptitude to learn Igbo. We shop in Afikpo, as far as Umuahia, Aba, etc and we have a good grasp of Igbo, in addition to speaking our language.

I have a very basic level in Igbo for example but can step up my Igbo easily as my dad speaks the language well and many guys in my villa speak the language.

So preach unity. We are one.

2 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 5:35pm On Aug 14, 2015
cuckoldmaster, this is not about Biafra, whatever the yoruba goats here might think, but about Igbo identity

2 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by mensdept: 5:40pm On Aug 14, 2015
dialfa:
cuckoldmaster, this is not about Biafra, whatever the yoruba goats here might think, but about Igbo identity

So is it now that Igbo people are still trying to figure out who is Igbo or not? Is that why in the last election APGA could not win, GEJ could not win, and an old General has become C-in-C 30 years later?

1 Like

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 14, 2015
dialfa:

[b]You miss the whole point. Biafra is a unifying point. When you hear Biafra, it does not mean that people are taking up arms to go to war. Biafra is a unifying entity. Not everybody who is Biafran is Igbo. When you say 'this is about Igbo identity', you have probably not done your research. Are 'Abariba' Igbos? I the answer is yes, then answer this question. What is the difference betwen the Abariba people in Abia state and the ones that migrated to Abi Local Givernment Area of Cross River State long time ago?

Does 'Igbo' cover only those who speak Igbo? Where do you place people with Igbo lineage (even the ones in Akwa Ibom State)? Always peak unity, always speak inclusion. There is strength in numbers. That is my message. I really hope I have been able to pass my message across.

It is sad that Igbos are usually their own worst enemies. You will never hear the Hausas/Fulani or Yorubas ask such questions. Igbos have a big obstacle in accepting themselves, loving themselves and loving people who are their neighbours. When they have done this, they will take the rightful position among great nations.

Peace and God Bless Biafra.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Aug 14, 2015
CuckoldMaster:

My friend Chuna, I hope you are doing well. You are one of the strong and passionate Biafrans on nairaland. Well done. You probably have good intentions with your post but we should try hard to foster unity amongs Biafrans. Dialect should not be an issue. I have spent a long time in the North to see how they appreciate each other. Hausa is widely spoken - it is virtually the lingua franca in the north. We have Sokoto/Zamfara Hausa, Kano Hausa, etc. They do not discriminate.

We can have Igbo as one of the official Biafran languages (I have no issues with that). Most of my people have the aptitude to learn Igbo. We shop in Afikpo, as far as Umuahia, Aba, etc and we have a good grasp of Igbo, in addition to speaking our language.

I have a very basic level in Igbo for example but can step up my Igbo easily as my dad speaks the language well and many guys in my villa speak the language.

So preach unity. We are one.

Thanks ma brother. of course language ain't an issue here. The most important thing is Biafra itself.

Thanks for ur support n concern.
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Aug 14, 2015
mensdept:

So is it now that Igbo people are still trying to figure out who is Igbo or not? Is that why in the last election APGA could not win, GEJ could not win, and an old General has become C-in-C 30 years later?

You have spoken with wisdom. The question is a strong one, full of depth and one that Igbos should try to answer.
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by dialfa: 6:14pm On Aug 14, 2015
CuckoldMaster:

[b]You miss the whole point. Biafra is a unifying point. When you hear Biafra, it does not mean that people are taking up arms to go to war. Biafra is a unifying entity. Not everybody who is Biafran is Igbo. When you say 'this is about Igbo identity', you have probably not done your research. Are 'Abariba' Igbos? I the answer is yes, then answer this question. What is the difference betwen the Abariba people in Abia state and the ones that migrated to Abi Local Givernment Area of Cross River State long time ago?

Does 'Igbo' cover only those who speak Igbo? Where do you place people with Igbo lineage (even the ones in Akwa Ibom State)? Always peak unity, always speak inclusion. There is strength in numbers. That is my message. I really hope I have been able to pass my message across.

It is sad that Igbos are usually their own worst enemies. You will never hear the Hausas/Fulani or Yorubas ask such questions. Igbos have a big obstacle in accepting themselves, loving themselves and loving people who are their neighbours. When they have done this, they will take the rightful position among great nations.

Peace and God Bless Biafra.[/b]

Awusa and yolloba may not ask such question but I am neither awusa nor yolloba
You still confuse things, Igbo Identity is very different from Biafra
Ex, Asaba was not part of Biafra but are 100% Igbos, while Biafra's second in command was not Igbo
So stop confusing the two
What makes one an Igbo? What make Afikpo people Igbos? And which Afikpo are you talking about as there seems to be 2 of them
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Aug 14, 2015
dialfa:

Awusa and yolloba may not ask such question but I am neither awusa nor yolloba
You still confuse things, Igbo Identity is very different from Biafra
Ex, Asaba was not part of Biafra but are 100% Igbos, while Biafra's second in command was not Igbo
So stop confusing the two
What makes one an Igbo? What make Afikpo people Igbos? And which Afikpo are you talking about as there seems to be 2 of them

I think the question is a very simple one. Afikpo people are Igbos.

I do not know of two Afikpo. I only know of one Afikpo and that is the one close to Oziza town and the one which is not too far from the river, as you can see on the map. Not far from Itigidi and Ediba. If there is another Afikpo, it cannot be as big as this one because this is the one that most people know.

1 Like

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by oyatz(m): 8:56am On Dec 21, 2016
The ancestry is ONE of the criteria that define a people but the most important criterion is SELF IDENTIFICATION.
The people in question identify themselves as Igbos (even if they may be of different ancestry), so they are.
You need to know that language and by extension, ethnicity is not fixed but changes over time.
dialfa:

No, it doesn't.

We have been raised to believe many things that history don't agree with.
They may or may not be Igbos. I don't know which is why I'm asking. From what's posted above culled from their website, even themselves doubt as per their origins.
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by gistcity(m): 9:32am On Jan 31, 2018
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by ofeco: 9:52am On Jan 31, 2018
dialfa:
I am asking because I can't understand anything they are saying

if you don't understand anything they are saying, that means you don't understand as a language.
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by zendy: 9:59am On Jan 31, 2018
dialfa:

ezza is very easy to understand

have you heard afikpo people speak amongst themselves?

Who told ezza is easy to understand? Ezza/Izzi snd Ikwo are the hardest to understand. You just have to tell them to switch to central Igbo as it is not possible for anyone to understand all the dialects of Igbos
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by NonsoWow: 10:05am On Jan 31, 2018
Fake, incomplete igbos, just like wawa people of enugu state.
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by Nobody: 10:15am On Jan 31, 2018
NonsoWow:
There are over 10 dialects of the Igbo language.
You guys should quit recycling APC ignorance in this thread.

cc lzaa amarabae

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by LZAA: 10:43am On Jan 31, 2018
dialfa:
lmao are u serious??
what will dy be na?calabar?
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by mbos: 12:21pm On Jan 31, 2018
The named Afikpo speaks Igbo and biafra
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by IkpuMmadu: 12:30pm On Jan 31, 2018
dialfa:

No they are not Igbo they are namibians

Ajuju
Re: Are Afikpo People Igbos? by IkpuMmadu: 12:31pm On Jan 31, 2018
NonsoWow:

Ikpunne gi fake

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See Photos Of Corpses Army Recovered During Search Of Dead Body Of Major Alkali / Ortom: Why I Left APC To Join PDP / INEC Postpones All Bye-Elections Over Security Situation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.