Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,492 members, 7,770,207 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:23 AM

Igbo Slang - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Slang (27816 Views)

5 New Slang Terms To Memorize To Stay Cool On Social Media / Nigerian 'MUST SPEAK' Street Slang !! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Slang by Joshuaiwe: 12:06pm On Aug 11, 2015
Can people just write some Igbo slang for me, as much as you know, and tell me what it means in English
Buy any chance if it sounds better in ur dialect please put it in your dialect and in standard Igbo if u can
Re: Igbo Slang by Princessderaa(f): 2:28pm On Aug 11, 2015
op stick to ur dialect.shikena#
Re: Igbo Slang by Nobody: 4:34pm On Aug 11, 2015
Princessderaa why nah grin
That was cold

OP the only one I know is alobam
In fact all the slang that they sing in these Igbo-hip-hop songs, by artists like Phyno cool Zoro Ruffcoin Slowdogg etc.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Slang by Phut(f): 6:27pm On Aug 11, 2015
MrsPhyno:
That was cold

In fact all the slang that they sing in these Igbo-hip-hop songs, by artists like Phyno cool Zoro Ruffcoin Slowdogg etc.

Exactly! Most of these artistes music is full of slangs.

These are a few:

Odieshi
Anu nwelu obi
Nkwanta - Skirmish/little shoving match
I chago kwa anya, i se go kwa ife?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Slang by Joshuaiwe: 7:21pm On Aug 11, 2015
Princessderaa:
What you mean
Phut:

These are a few:
Odieshi
Anu nwelu obi
what did she mean
Re: Igbo Slang by Princessderaa(f): 11:25pm On Aug 11, 2015
MrsPhyno:
That was cold

mrsphyno am just wondering y De op want to Kn "some" Igbo slangs.

op "looks"like anti Igbo.
Re: Igbo Slang by Nobody: 11:31pm On Aug 11, 2015
Princessderaa:

mrsphyno am just wondering y De op want to Kn "some" Igbo slangs.

op "looks"like anti Igbo.
Oh and it's true sha......

Hopefully not.

I thought maybe he's an Igbo boy that doesn't speak Igbo? Iono

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Slang by Phut(f): 11:46pm On Aug 11, 2015
Joshuaiwe:

What you mean what did she mean

Odieshi literally means, its not leaking. Used to refer to tough guys who never cry.

Anu nwelu obi means a beast with a heart/conscience. Phyno referred to himself as such in one of his songs

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Slang by Princessderaa(f): 11:54pm On Aug 11, 2015
MrsPhyno:
Hopefully not.

Errrm guess he's a Yoruba guy
Re: Igbo Slang by Nobody: 12:16am On Aug 12, 2015
Princessderaa:

Errrm guess he's a Yoruba guy
Haha detective skills on fleek

Oya OP tell us the truth
Re: Igbo Slang by Nobody: 12:57am On Aug 12, 2015
Phut:

Anu nwelu obi means a beast with a heart/conscience. Phyno referred to himself as such in one of his songs

In this context, it's more like 'a brave/fearless beast' or 'a hard-hearted animal' than 'a beast with a conscience'.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Slang by Phut(f): 1:42am On Aug 12, 2015
Radoillo:

In this context, it's more like 'a brave/fearless beast' or 'a hard-hearted animal' than 'a beast with a conscience'.

Thanks for the correction. Seems I was too literal with it
Re: Igbo Slang by Nobody: 7:27am On Aug 12, 2015
Phut:

Thanks for the correction. Seems I was too literal with it

I wouldn't say 'too literal'; I would say too 'English'. grin

'To have a heart' in English figurative speech means what you interpreted it as -- 'to have a conscience'; in Igbo it could mean the exact opposite.

Interesting how different peoples would come up with very different meanings (opposite meanings even) for the same expressions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Slang by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:30am On Aug 12, 2015
Onye ngbu is an Anambra slang meaning a weakling...Guy ayi anaro azu ndi mgbu.
Arubam is an Anambra slang meaning my "G" or my Nigga.
Nkolo is Anambra slang meaning my hood,or my end.
"Ofego aka" means he is gone.
"Opia nkpulu" means gunslinger.
"Umu mma" means bevy of beauties.
"Wusa aru" means relax or chill out.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Slang by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:37am On Aug 12, 2015
" Onye isi okanga" means a trend setter.
"Nwanne mulu anya" means to be alert.
"Icha anya" means to get stoned...guy ichagokwa anya? Nwanne,isegokwa ife? Phyno comes to mind.
"Onye okuku" money spender....guys na aku-aku.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Slang by Phut(f): 7:46am On Aug 12, 2015
Radoillo:

I wouldn't say 'too literal'; I would say too 'English'. grin

'To have a heart' in English figurative speech means what you interpreted it as -- 'to have a conscience'; in Igbo it could mean the exact opposite.

Interesting how different peoples would come up with very different meanings (opposite meanings even) for the same expressions.

Hahaha! Now you are pulling my leg. I do have to confess that I tend to think in English and then translate to Igbo (in my mind).

Radoillo I need to ask you something. Phyno and Stormrex say "Yetuye" or something to that effect. Does it mean maka?
Re: Igbo Slang by Nobody: 7:57am On Aug 12, 2015
A few I remember from my old hood (Enugu):

Ikpa owa -- to drive (especially expertly)

Ikpu Uzu -- bodybuilding, especially if it involves weight lifting (Literally ikpu Uzu refers to blacksmithing)

Gbawa door -- get out (Literally meaning: Kick down the door)

Kupu -- same meaning as 'Gbawa door'.

Ndi Asai -- mad people (Asai comes from assylum) 'Kupulu ndi Asai (as Phyno said on the track) means 'Stay away/Get away from mad people'.

Ndi Eke -- The police (literally 'python people' --- I don't know how they got that name)

Oringo - means 'fun'.

Ita mgbe/iñu mgbe -high school slang that means 'playing truant' or 'skipping classes'. Literally means 'eating/drinking time'.

Iku olu - to stop one's plans from succeeding. ('Ha cho k'olu m kuo' - they want my plans to fail [Phyno's line])

Ito isi - Means 'giving a girl oral'. tongue (Literally sounds like 'undoing braids')

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Slang by Nobody: 8:00am On Aug 12, 2015
Phut:

Hahaha! Now you are pulling my leg. I do have to confess that I tend to think in English and then translate to Igbo (in my mind).

Radoillo I need to ask you something. Phyno and Stormrex say "Yetuye" or something to that effect. Does it mean maka?

Which song?

I think it's 'year to year' and not 'yetuye'. Phyno has said that on a number of tracks. But if you tell me which song you heard it on, I could be doubly sure.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Slang by Phut(f): 9:33am On Aug 12, 2015
Radoillo:

Which song?

I think it's 'year to year' and not 'yetuye'. Phyno has said that on a number of tracks. But if you tell me which song you heard it on, I could be doubly sure.

You just might be correct. They say the word/phrase and then after it comes: so gi ka'm ga na ekpere
Re: Igbo Slang by Joshuaiwe: 12:35pm On Aug 12, 2015
MrsPhyno:

Hopefully not.

And the winner is.... Mrs phyno.
For goodness sake how in the world did I appear anti Igbo it's ridiculous how words can lose their meaning when transferred to another persons screen. I'm learning to speak Igbo atm. Well I wouldn't say I don't speak tbh. I'm comfortable speaking while asking for a word here and there but I don't know that much slang and listening to Igbo music doesn't help because I'll here what they say but I recognize it as a slang and don't know what it means. I think this happened because I took more interest in proverbs than slang so here I am asking Igbo
people to tell me some. And I just got called anti Igbo.
Re: Igbo Slang by Nobody: 1:13pm On Aug 12, 2015
Joshuaiwe:

And the winner is.... Mrs phyno.
For goodness sake how in the world did I appear anti Igbo it's ridiculous how words can lose their meaning when transferred to another persons screen. I'm learning to speak Igbo atm. Well I wouldn't say I don't speak tbh. I'm comfortable speaking while asking for a word here and there but I don't know that much slang and listening to Igbo music doesn't help because I'll here what they say but I recognize it as a slang and don't know what it means. I think this happened because I took more interest in proverbs than slang so here I am asking Igbo
people to tell me some. And I just got called anti Igbo.
Hmm no vex for her grin
It's a misunderstanding
Re: Igbo Slang by Joshuaiwe: 2:27pm On Aug 12, 2015
Princessderaa:

Omg I just realized you meant to say language. Lol I'm already doing that!
Re: Igbo Slang by Joshuaiwe: 2:29pm On Aug 12, 2015
MrsPhyno:

Hmm no vex for her grin
It's a misunderstanding
Lol I'm alright! But thanks for commenting
Re: Igbo Slang by Phut(f): 11:06pm On Aug 12, 2015
@ Joshuaiwe: you asked for slangs. Odenigbo has given you quite a few and so has Radoillo. But no interaction/feedback whatsoever for you. Abi na asampete you come find for here? grin grin
Re: Igbo Slang by Joshuaiwe: 3:51pm On Aug 13, 2015
OdenigboAroli:
" Onye isi okanga" means a trend setter.
"Nwanne mulu anya" means to be alert.
"Icha anya" means to get stoned...guy ichagokwa anya? Nwanne,isegokwa ife? Phyno comes to mind.
"Onye okuku" money spender....guys na aku-aku.
Is it like telling them to be awake or saying that they are awake thank you!
Re: Igbo Slang by Joshuaiwe: 3:56pm On Aug 13, 2015
Wait i dont get kupu too well is it like telling some one to get out?
Cuz like in phynos song nnunu phyno says nnunu machawa Akwa anyi ga kupu there
What does kupu mean in that instance
But thanks a ton daalunu!
Radoillo:
A few I remember from my old hood (Enugu):

Ikpa owa -- to drive (especially expertly)

Ikpu Uzu -- bodybuilding, especially if it involves weight lifting (Literally ikpu Uzu refers to blacksmithing)

Gbawa door -- get out (Literally meaning: Kick down the door)

Kupu -- same meaning as 'Gbawa door'.

Ndi Asai -- mad people (Asai comes from assylum) 'Kupulu ndi Asai (as Phyno said on the track) means 'Stay away/Get away from mad people'.

Ndi Eke -- The police (literally 'python people' --- I don't know how they got that name)

Oringo - means 'fun'.

Ita mgbe/iñu mgbe -high school slang that means 'playing truant' or 'skipping classes'. Literally means 'eating/drinking time'.

Iku olu - to stop one's plans from succeeding. ('Ha cho k'olu m kuo' - they want my plans to fail [Phyno's line])

Ito isi - Means 'giving a girl oral'. tongue (Literally sounds like 'undoing braids')

Re: Igbo Slang by Joshuaiwe: 3:57pm On Aug 13, 2015
Phut:
@ Joshuaiwe: you asked for slangs. Odenigbo has given you quite a few and so has Radoillo. But no interaction/feedback whatsoever for you. Abi na asampete you come find for here? grin grin
No that's not why I'm here but thank you for reminding me I actually had planned to come and look at them in one sitting and then respond
Then I forgot to come back sorry! But thanks for reminding me

1 Like

Re: Igbo Slang by Joshuaiwe: 3:59pm On Aug 13, 2015
Phut:

These are a few:

Odieshi
Anu nwelu obi

Is odieshi like when people joke about bullets can't do them anything they say they have odieshi?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Slang by Joshuaiwe: 4:00pm On Aug 13, 2015
Radoillo:

But now how do you apply this tho do you call somebody this when they're being a boss like
Re: Igbo Slang by Nobody: 4:06pm On Aug 13, 2015
Phut
Did you ever end up listening to that Zoro song 042

And 'icholiya' na slang be dat abi na proper Igbo?

You used 'anu' to mean beast. I thought anu means meat ? Double meaning?

Nnunu in the context Phyno used it in is slang too sha. He's really popularizing a lot of slang
Re: Igbo Slang by Joshuaiwe: 4:10pm On Aug 13, 2015
OdenigboAroli:
Onye ngbu is an Anambra slang meaning a weakling...Guy ayi anaro azu ndi mgbu.
Arubam is an Anambra slang meaning my "G" or my Nigga.
Nkolo is Anambra slang meaning my hood,or my end.
"Ofego aka" means he is gone.
"Opia nkpulu" means gunslinger.
"Umu mma" means bevy of beauties.
"Wusa aru" means relax or chill out.

In Nkolo is it the o as in toe or o as in o
And can I use the Ofego aka for inanimate things
And what does wusa literally mean

Thanks a lot!
Re: Igbo Slang by Joshuaiwe: 4:10pm On Aug 13, 2015
[b][/b]
MrsPhyno:
Phut
Did you ever end up listening to that Zoro song 042

Oh I know that song!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oluwo Akanbi: Leave Me To God, Stop Judging Me On Social Media / 10 Reasons Why Nigeria Is The Best Country In The World / Ghanaian Stunt Man Rises After An Epic Shameful Fall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.