Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,998 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. (9041 Views)

Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos / Nigeria: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers 19th Feb, 2015 / Mangu-Bokkos-Plateau: The Largest Mechanized Farm In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by Curiouscity(m): 4:25pm On Aug 12, 2015
Pavore9:

There are so much possibilities in value addition. Setting a jam making unit within that area makes real sense. l recall sometime ago am organization here in Kenya was offering training on Strawberry jam making which cost only N4,000. They taught the participants how to commercially produce jam that would last 8 months after production without having to add any chemical as preservative, 100% organic as it involved pulping and boiling.

Very true!! during my wedding I made strawberry jam, and used it as take away gift. The ones I kept at home lasted more than a year. One can learn it within few days. And very lucrative. I hope I can coach and support someone in this area, but not really ready to go in yet.

The other option you suggested; freighting the fruiting to Lagos and Port-Harcourt, is a very nice one. But I just spoke with my brother who is logistic supervisor with Arik, he says that cargo is N300/Kg. To me that is expensive, but depending on the price of strawberry in Lagos, it may be a worthy adventure.
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by Pavore9: 5:11pm On Aug 12, 2015
Curiouscity:

Very true!! during my wedding I made strawberry jam, and used it as take away gift. The ones I kept at home lasted more than a year. One can learn it within few days. And very lucrative. I hope I can coach and support someone in this area, but not really ready to go in yet.

The other option you suggested; freighting the fruiting to Lagos and Port-Harcourt, is a very nice one. But I just spoke with my brother who is logistic supervisor with Arik, he says that cargo is N300/Kg. To me that is expensive, but depending on the price of strawberry in Lagos, it may be a worthy adventure.

Though at N300/Kg which is on the high side, it is a wiser over road as within 2hrs it has arrived Lagos. Going by the article they presently between N700 and N800 per kg. When one buys directly from their farms one can negotiate a bulk purchase for between N500-N600.

First checking out the retail prices across stores will be key in determining if it worth it. I just hope it is the Chandelier variety they are growing.
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by Sefunmi74: 10:40pm On Aug 12, 2015
I cant afford a coolin van but i can buy the seed or seedling. But where can i buy from?
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by Pavore9: 10:46pm On Aug 12, 2015
Sefunmi74:
I cant afford a coolin van but i can buy the seed or seedling. But where can i buy from?

lf you are interested in growing them, l suggest you visit the community mentioned in the article and understudy its cultivation, so it can be a successful venture when you set up your farm.

1 Like

Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by lcoral(f): 5:03pm On Aug 13, 2015
Very lovely post.
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by midastouch: 11:38am On Aug 14, 2015
Pavore9:

Though at N300/Kg which is on the high side, it is a wiser over road as within 2hrs it has arrived Lagos. Going by the article they presently between N700 and N800 per kg. When one buys directly from their farms one can negotiate a bulk purchase for between N500-N600.

First checking out the retail prices across stores will be key in determining if it worth it. I just hope it is the Chandelier variety they are growing.

Jos to Abuja - 3 hours
Abuja to Lagos - 6 hours

Total road transit time - 9 hours
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by Pavore9: 11:43am On Aug 14, 2015
midastouch:

Jos to Abuja - 3 hours
Abuja to Lagos - 6 hours

How many hours on the road from Jos to Lagos (direct) or must one have to go through Abuja?
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by mokrak(m): 1:29pm On Aug 14, 2015
midastouch:

Jos to Abuja - 3 hours
Abuja to Lagos - 6 hours

Abuja to Lagos, minimum 8hrs
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by enolife(m): 7:41pm On Aug 17, 2015
Jesusbaby6:
I bought 50 seedling, am transplanting tomorrow. Using the initiative of d Kenyan guy in using sacks
following you
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by viruz007(m): 11:48pm On Aug 18, 2015
midastouch:

Jos to Abuja - 3 hours
Abuja to Lagos - 6 hours

Abuja to Lagos, 6 hours ke? Am yet to meet that kain driver.

Beautiful article... The wheels in my head are spinning. Need to find a way to key into this fine industry smiley
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by dgitrader(m): 10:22am On Aug 20, 2015
midastouch:

Jos to Abuja - 3 hours
Abuja to Lagos - 6 hours

Nothing less than 12 hours with commercial transportation. To be realistic.

Great thread.
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by anienge001: 12:27am On Aug 24, 2015
Does anyone know the price (N/Kg) of strawberry in Abuja and Lagos? I spoke with someone today and he maybe interested.
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by amerengues(m): 11:15pm On Sep 10, 2015
This is indeed a great post. Pls can we all get to the root of this once in a life time opportunity. I hope we are doing our researches. Thanks for all that have contributed. Am really following.
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by iblaw: 8:50pm On Jan 10, 2016
Pavore9:
Read this article through the link posted by another Nairalander (wakes) in another strawberry related thread. Those who are interested in Strawberry farming can visit the community to understudy its cultivation and even smarter by buying up from them, sort them and have them packaged and preserved for onward shipment to the south.

Strawberry, an exotic fruit, which until now does not receive any serious attention as one of the fruits grown in the country, is now the most important produce that shapes the economic power of the people of Chaha community.

The community, located at the outskirt of Vom, Plateau State, gives the heart-shaped fruit the desired attention from the day they discovered it has the potentials to change their fortune and lift them from the shackles of poverty.

This reporter, prompted by the sale of the produce to motorists along Jos-Abuja Road in Jos, traced its origin to Chaha village where everybody seems to have a strawberry farm- although there are few other strawberry farmers in Jos, Plateau State capital.

A farmer does not need to buy the seed or seedlings every farming year. This is because the vines after production can be transferred as seedlings to another plot in the new farming season. This quality leaves farmers with no burden of looking for seed each planting season. Their major burden is manure, fertiliser and market.

Nuhu Samuel is a 29-year-old strawberry farmer. He told the reporter that he got into the farming after he saw his father making money from it. Although he said he cannot tell where his father got the seed from, he got the seedlings from him.

The father of two children stated that he plants in July and harvests in November. He sells in killogramme-N700 to N1, 000 per kilogramme.
Samuel gets 30 to 40 killogrammes from his farm twice a week, which helps him to pocket between N28, 000 to N40, 000. For him water supply to the farm is not much of a problem because some of the mining pods serve as mini irrigation dams that supply water to his farms.

The reporter seeks to know where he sells his produce or if he has challenges selling it, and he said: “We have one man who comes from Abuja to buy the produce from us. We normally take it to him in Vom. Apart from him, some women who sell the produce along the major roads in and around Jos come here to buy.”

On how much he makes from it in a season, he said: “It depends, there are seasons that we make between N300, 000 to N400, 000 while in some seasons, I make up to N1 million from my two plots alone.”

Isaac Michael is a 22-year-old strawberry farmer in the community. He was working in his farm when the reporter met him. He said that he was inspired to farm by Thomas Choji, who he said started the strawberry farming in the community.
Unlike Samuel who has been farming it for the past five years, Michael is a new comer into strawberry farming after seeing other young farmers of his age making money from it.

“I could not start earlier because I did not save enough money to buy the seedlings because it is too expensive. But July last year, I managed to save money from my cabbage and carrot farm to buy the strawberry seedlings which I planted in this farm.”
According to him, each seedling costs N200. He said he has no problem with water supply as his farm is located at the bank of a lake constructed by miners.

Michael is now harvesting four cartons worth of strawberry every week. Each of those cartons contains five killogrammes of the produce. But how much does he sell a killogramme?

“It depends on the forces that shape the market such as glut and scarcity. Between October and December, it is usually very expensive. So we sell for between N900 and N1, 000 a kilo. But now, the product is plenty as you can see. During the heat period-because it is heat that facilitates its growth, we sell for between N700 and N800 per kilogramme.”

“Before the season ends in April, I will make N400, 000, I could even make more if I get a better market,” the 22-year-old man said.
“But honestly, it is not easy for us to sell it here. If you harvest it and keep it, before tomorrow it will change its colour. You must get the person who wants to buy before you harvest it, if not you can’t harvest it and keep it. Unless you have a cooling system like the refrigerator before you can do that. This is a big challenge for us here.”

For Patrick Mancha, a 45 year-old-father of five, the idea of starting a strawberry farm came to him when, as a worker on other peoples’ farms, he saw how the farmers were making money from it.

With the money he realised from working for others, he established his own farm, which gives him money to feed his family and send his children to some of the expensive schools in Jos.

Mancha said he sells strawberry in cartons, which weigh 5.5 killogrammes at the price of N3, 600. The day the reporter visited the farm, he harvested 70 killogrammes from only one of the three strawberry farms, which he does twice a week.

Conducting the reporter round his farms, Patrick stressed that he will harvest 150 killogrammes if it reaches March which will give him approximately N105, 000 weekly if he sells at the least price of N700 per killogramme.

“Last year I realised N300, 000 from the small farmland I cultivated. This year, I have decided to expand the land to three plots. As you can see, the 70kg I harvested did not include the other farms. If I add those ones I may get 120kg and that will be twice a week.”

Choji Emmanuel is one of the biggest strawberry farmers in Chaha. In a chat with the reporter, he stressed that the major challenge of strawberry farmers in the community is lack of market for the produce in Jos.

He told the reporter that he has attended many workshops organised for strawberry farmers on the Plateau but nothing happened afterwards.
The 29-year-old lamented that the community produces strawberry enough to meet any buyer’s demand, yet they rely on few individuals and retailers to buy from them.

“We know how to farm strawberry here, but the market is our problem. We want people and companies to know that we have enough of this fruit here. What we need now is just the market.

Emmanuel has been in strawberry production for over six years. He recalled one particular year when he couldn’t find buyers for the product, making them to record huge losses.

“We know there are people who need this product somewhere in Nigeria but we don’t know how to locate them. I hope one day, some of these people will find us here.”

According to him, even though they have Strawberry Farmers Association in the community, the leaders are not educated to help members locate where the markets for their produce lie in the country.

This reporter made effort to speak to the leaders of the association but failed because they were all out of the village trying to find buyers.
Speaking to many farmers in Chaha community it was discovered that they have the same challenge-market for their produce. They want to know where to meet buyers.

Even the government at the state and local levels do not seem to work for the interest of their famers who can make the state a hub for horticulture in Africa. Despite huge potentials created by its unique weather, the Plateau State and its local governments have failed its farmers. Even the federal government failed to see the billions of Naira lying untapped on the Plateau.

For the community, access to good road, link to bulk buyers and basic inputs such as water pumping machines and fertiliser continue to elude them.

Efforts to get the local government authorities and the state commissioner of agriculture to comment on these matters also failed.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/index.php/agriculture/47360-surplus-strawberry-in-plateau-few-buyers

Do you still have the strawberry for sale? if yes iblaw1@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by menacetosociety: 8:10am On Jan 11, 2016
iblaw:

Do you still have the strawberry for sale? if yes iblaw1@yahoo.com
undecided
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by Onegai(f): 5:38pm On Jan 11, 2016
I could provide support for this, as I have contacts and know prices of strawberries in Lagos. My issue is, those guys are using mining pods to water their plants. The little I know of mining tells me there's a lot of heavy metal pollution around the areas being mined. What are the chances this fruit is safe for consumption, as the people I kmow who will buy want to test for this. Thanks
e

2 Likes

Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by anonimi: 7:16pm On Jan 11, 2016
Onegai:
I could provide support for this, as I have contacts and know prices of strawberries in Lagos. My issue is, those guys are using mining pods to water their plants. The little I know of mining tells me there's a lot of heavy metal pollution around the areas being mined. What are the chances this fruit is safe for consumption, as the people I kmow who will buy want to test for this. Thanks
e

They can invest in lab testing for levels of chemicals and get certificates

1 Like

Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by ceaz4r(m): 11:28pm On Mar 22, 2016
Strawberry seeds available for sale!!
Each fruit weigh 25 - 30g
Fruit colour is red
Maturity 85 - 90 days

Whatsapp me on 080 336 607 68
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by Newway2(m): 6:31am On Mar 23, 2016
How & how much do u sell d seeds?

ceaz4r:
Strawberry seeds available for sale!!
Each fruit weigh 25 - 30g
Fruit colour is red
Maturity 85 - 90 days

Whatsapp me on 080 336 607 68
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by ceaz4r(m): 8:15am On Mar 23, 2016
Newway2:
How & how much do u sell d seeds?

Hit me on whatspp let's talk.

Prices of my seeds are always friendly.
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by Newway2(m): 11:10am On Mar 23, 2016
Pls gv d price here. It's not consultancy & shld be fixed & open to everybody.

ceaz4r:

Hit me on whatspp let's talk.

Prices of my seeds are always friendly.

1 Like

Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by ceaz4r(m): 5:29pm On Mar 24, 2016
Newway2:
Pls gv d price here. It's not consultancy & shld be fixed & open to everybody.

Prize is N2,500 for 200 seeds.

Each fruit weighs 25 - 30g at fruiting time.
Fruit colour is red
Maturity 85 - 90 days
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by iyomomo(f): 6:57am On Mar 25, 2016
ceaz4r:

Prize is N2,500 for 200 seeds.

Each fruit weighs 25 - 30g at fruiting time.
Fruit colour is red
Maturity 85 - 90 days
Hello, pls what variety is it?
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by ceaz4r(m): 2:34pm On Mar 26, 2016
iyomomo:

Hello, pls what variety is it?

Hi
The variety is 'Ever bearing'.

Contact me on whatsapp 0-8-0-3-3-6-6-0-7-6-8 for more informaton.
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by Pavore9: 4:29pm On Mar 26, 2016
ceaz4r:

Hi

What is the germination rate and have you had any harvest for referral?
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by iyomomo(f): 5:46pm On Mar 26, 2016
ceaz4r:

Hi

Ok. Thanks
*modified
Pls whats d answer to Oga pavore s question. Pics wud be nice .
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by santuse: 8:17pm On Mar 26, 2016
Nice one @ Pavore9
Re: Surplus Strawberry In Plateau, Few Buyers. by Konquest: 6:48am On Aug 13, 2017
Pavore9:
Read this article through the link posted by another Nairalander (wakes) in another strawberry related thread. Those who are interested in Strawberry farming can visit the community to understudy its cultivation and even smarter by buying up from them, sort them and have them packaged and preserved for onward shipment to the south.

Strawberry, an exotic fruit, which until now does not receive any serious attention as one of the fruits grown in the country, is now the most important produce that shapes the economic power of the people of Chaha community.

The community, located at the outskirt of Vom, Plateau State, gives the heart-shaped fruit the desired attention from the day they discovered it has the potentials to change their fortune and lift them from the shackles of poverty.

This reporter, prompted by the sale of the produce to motorists along Jos-Abuja Road in Jos, traced its origin to Chaha village where everybody seems to have a strawberry farm- although there are few other strawberry farmers in Jos, Plateau State capital.

A farmer does not need to buy the seed or seedlings every farming year. This is because the vines after production can be transferred as seedlings to another plot in the new farming season. This quality leaves farmers with no burden of looking for seed each planting season. Their major burden is manure, fertiliser and market.

Nuhu Samuel is a 29-year-old strawberry farmer. He told the reporter that he got into the farming after he saw his father making money from it. Although he said he cannot tell where his father got the seed from, he got the seedlings from him.

The father of two children stated that he plants in July and harvests in November. He sells in killogramme-N700 to N1, 000 per kilogramme.
Samuel gets 30 to 40 killogrammes from his farm twice a week, which helps him to pocket between N28, 000 to N40, 000. For him water supply to the farm is not much of a problem because some of the mining pods serve as mini irrigation dams that supply water to his farms.

The reporter seeks to know where he sells his produce or if he has challenges selling it, and he said: “We have one man who comes from Abuja to buy the produce from us. We normally take it to him in Vom. Apart from him, some women who sell the produce along the major roads in and around Jos come here to buy.”

On how much he makes from it in a season, he said: “It depends, there are seasons that we make between N300, 000 to N400, 000 while in some seasons, I make up to N1 million from my two plots alone.”

Isaac Michael is a 22-year-old strawberry farmer in the community. He was working in his farm when the reporter met him. He said that he was inspired to farm by Thomas Choji, who he said started the strawberry farming in the community.
Unlike Samuel who has been farming it for the past five years, Michael is a new comer into strawberry farming after seeing other young farmers of his age making money from it.

“I could not start earlier because I did not save enough money to buy the seedlings because it is too expensive. But July last year, I managed to save money from my cabbage and carrot farm to buy the strawberry seedlings which I planted in this farm.”
According to him, each seedling costs N200. He said he has no problem with water supply as his farm is located at the bank of a lake constructed by miners.

Michael is now harvesting four cartons worth of strawberry every week. Each of those cartons contains five killogrammes of the produce. But how much does he sell a killogramme?

“It depends on the forces that shape the market such as glut and scarcity. Between October and December, it is usually very expensive. So we sell for between N900 and N1, 000 a kilo. But now, the product is plenty as you can see. During the heat period-because it is heat that facilitates its growth, we sell for between N700 and N800 per kilogramme.”

“Before the season ends in April, I will make N400, 000, I could even make more if I get a better market,” the 22-year-old man said.
“But honestly, it is not easy for us to sell it here. If you harvest it and keep it, before tomorrow it will change its colour. You must get the person who wants to buy before you harvest it, if not you can’t harvest it and keep it. Unless you have a cooling system like the refrigerator before you can do that. This is a big challenge for us here.”

For Patrick Mancha, a 45 year-old-father of five, the idea of starting a strawberry farm came to him when, as a worker on other peoples’ farms, he saw how the farmers were making money from it.

With the money he realised from working for others, he established his own farm, which gives him money to feed his family and send his children to some of the expensive schools in Jos.

Mancha said he sells strawberry in cartons, which weigh 5.5 killogrammes at the price of N3, 600. The day the reporter visited the farm, he harvested 70 killogrammes from only one of the three strawberry farms, which he does twice a week.

Conducting the reporter round his farms, Patrick stressed that he will harvest 150 killogrammes if it reaches March which will give him approximately N105, 000 weekly if he sells at the least price of N700 per killogramme.

“Last year I realised N300, 000 from the small farmland I cultivated. This year, I have decided to expand the land to three plots. As you can see, the 70kg I harvested did not include the other farms. If I add those ones I may get 120kg and that will be twice a week.”

Choji Emmanuel is one of the biggest strawberry farmers in Chaha. In a chat with the reporter, he stressed that the major challenge of strawberry farmers in the community is lack of market for the produce in Jos.

He told the reporter that he has attended many workshops organised for strawberry farmers on the Plateau but nothing happened afterwards.
The 29-year-old lamented that the community produces strawberry enough to meet any buyer’s demand, yet they rely on few individuals and retailers to buy from them.

“We know how to farm strawberry here, but the market is our problem. We want people and companies to know that we have enough of this fruit here. What we need now is just the market.

Emmanuel has been in strawberry production for over six years. He recalled one particular year when he couldn’t find buyers for the product, making them to record huge losses.

“We know there are people who need this product somewhere in Nigeria but we don’t know how to locate them. I hope one day, some of these people will find us here.”

According to him, even though they have Strawberry Farmers Association in the community, the leaders are not educated to help members locate where the markets for their produce lie in the country.

This reporter made effort to speak to the leaders of the association but failed because they were all out of the village trying to find buyers.
Speaking to many farmers in Chaha community it was discovered that they have the same challenge-market for their produce. They want to know where to meet buyers.

Even the government at the state and local levels do not seem to work for the interest of their famers who can make the state a hub for horticulture in Africa. Despite huge potentials created by its unique weather, the Plateau State and its local governments have failed its farmers. Even the federal government failed to see the billions of Naira lying untapped on the Plateau.

For the community, access to good road, link to bulk buyers and basic inputs such as water pumping machines and fertiliser continue to elude them.

Efforts to get the local government authorities and the state commissioner of agriculture to comment on these matters also failed.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/index.php/agriculture/47360-surplus-strawberry-in-plateau-few-buyers
^^^^^^
^^^^^^
@Pavore9

This is a well written post...
Awesome.

I once saw a documentary
of a Kenya University student who
paid his way through school via
strawberry farming on the inherited
plots of land of his late father.

He had stopped schooling in the University in Kenya, but after one season
he started making more money than
a Bank Manager in Kenya, and went
back to school. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Cucumber Farming Adventure(my First Experience As A Farmer) / FREE ON THE FARM (PRACTICAL) MUSHROOM TRAINING / Cheap Land At Iwo, Osun State (updated with PICTURES)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.