Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,333 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:26 AM

List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex (76085 Views)

FG Lifts Ban On 41 Imported Items / CBN Suspends 19 Banks From Forex Sale To BDCs / List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by Nobody: 1:04pm On Aug 12, 2015
erico2k2:

It has to do with demand and supply plus over heads.I shall give e yoy another example Greece is the highest producer of Olive in the whole world but their Olives have to be taken to Germany to mill it to Olive Oil reason being it's cheaper to mill there than Greece. So the Oil frm Germany is cheaper than the one in Greece. What one would toy buy?.another example China and the rest of the world.why do yoy think Samsung and Nokia have to buy made in china battery for their phone.
What exactly is your argument now??
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by Nobody: 1:32pm On Aug 12, 2015
GodMode:

If your brain cannot deduce the aim... If you have a university degree you need to return it...
dont be silly.

You didn't have to reply at all if you didn't have anything good to say. Or didn't your mother teach you that? Smh, all these unruly Ill mannered keyboard urchins in nairaland sha.
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by shikshark: 1:35pm On Aug 12, 2015
what about generators
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by gidjah(m): 1:50pm On Aug 12, 2015
Some of the products listed here, needs be outrightly banned.pls why r we importing toot pick abi na tooth nails??,have our igbo brodas gone dumb??why r we still importing chicken,palm oilall this made in obodo oyinbo people no go stop supprising us o!

1 Like

Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by Alexander001(m): 1:50pm On Aug 12, 2015
insure1:
Considering its ripple effect on the economy, I'd say well done and weldone!

By the way, I don't know if lalasticlala would think this informative enough for importers on the frontpage but I dedicate this space to users of this pure definition of a stylish aura... Lalique!

Check my signature
most of those items are building materials...importation of those items make building less costly.beside, we have only two nail companies n Nigeria( knight metal and asaba nail) before the ban, roofing nail was sold for #5900 now it's #6500.
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by gidjah(m): 1:51pm On Aug 12, 2015
Some of the products listed here, needs be outrightly banned.pls why r we importing toot pick abi na tooth nails??,have our igbo brodas gone dumb??why r we still importing chicken,palm oil??all this made in obodo oyinbo people no go stop supprising us o!
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by Alexander001(m): 1:57pm On Aug 12, 2015
ArmaniUhuru:
Why are people shouting welcome development? Do they know the implication of this policy to the common man?

So Naija still dey import toothpicks, wooden doors when we dey produce timber. Oyel money don really cause laziness.
no mind them, do they know what those that sell building materials are passing through cos of the lousy policy...let them focus on the real issues that will benefit common Nigerian not making it hard.
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by Alexander001(m): 2:00pm On Aug 12, 2015
Adeyinka12:
I hope this will not make imported goods high in price
it will, there's no how ear will not follow the head when cut off..go check building materials now.
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by GodMode: 2:07pm On Aug 12, 2015
AdaNri1:
dont be silly.

You didn't have to reply at all if you didn't have anything good to say. Or didn't your mother teach you that? Smh, all these unruly Ill mannered keyboard urchins in nairaland sha.

You said rubbish... And you're defending your ignorant and rubbish comment...

Don't ever insult someone's parents especially when you don't know the person.. You're the ill-mannered coward here...
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by Israel5(m): 2:24pm On Aug 12, 2015
If i tel say Dem import Me, u nor go believe
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by kwaraguy(m): 2:30pm On Aug 12, 2015
Bevista:
The CBN is trying to make the importation of these items a lot more expensive for the importers, since they now have to source for Forex from the 'underground' market.

The ultimate aim is to encourage local manufacturing of these particular set of items, which will create employment in the process. The CBN has already met with Manufacturers Association of Nigerian (MAN) to explain the rationale of the policy to them and to encourage them to take advantage of the opportunity that will be created by the supply gap. Remember, local production usually suffers when the cost of importation is lower than the cost of local production. GOD bless you sir, this is the kind of explanation I actually needed. I just knew it needed an economist explanation since they said no ban on importation. My own purpose on NL is to learn thanks a lot

The negative implication is that these items will become expensive in the short term due to high import cost. However, in the long term, when local manufacturers have ramped up production, prices should fall back again - with the extra benefit of job creation. Central Bank monetary policies are usually a balancing act - there is always a tradeoff of some pain for a greater good.

The other benefit is that this will ultimately reduce demand for foreign exchange, leading to a strengthening of the Naira and an improvement in Foreign Reserves.
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 12, 2015
GodMode:

You said rubbish... And you're defending your ignorant and rubbish comment...

Don't ever insult someone's parents especially when you don't know the person.. You're the ill-mannered coward here...
youre very quick to pick offence because I pointed out your ill manners. I must have struck a nerve then!
I did not ask you the question specifically, you would have scrolled down if you wanted to but you chose to insult me. You're very good at dishing but not so at taking right?
Next time you see my post better hurriedly scroll past!!
And look who's calling someone a coward? A playground bully like you. Mr ITK
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by kwaraguy(m): 2:34pm On Aug 12, 2015
Bevista:
The CBN is trying to make the importation of these items a lot more expensive for the importers, since they now have to source for Forex from the 'underground' market.

The ultimate aim is to encourage local manufacturing of these particular set of items, which will create employment in the process. The CBN has already met with Manufacturers Association of Nigerian (MAN) to explain the rationale of the policy to them and to encourage them to take advantage of the opportunity that will be created by the supply gap. Remember, local production usually suffers when the cost of importation is lower than the cost of local production.

The negative implication is that these items will become expensive in the short term due to high import cost. However, in the long term, when local manufacturers have ramped up production, prices should fall back again - with the extra benefit of job creation. Central Bank monetary policies are usually a balancing act - there is always a tradeoff of some pain for a greater good.

The other benefit is that this will ultimately reduce demand for foreign exchange, leading to a strengthening of the Naira and an improvement in Foreign Reserves.
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by kwaraguy(m): 2:34pm On Aug 12, 2015
Bevista:

The ultimate aim is to encourage local manufacturing of these particular set of items, which will create employment in the process. The CBN has already met with Manufacturers Association of Nigerian (MAN) to explain the rationale of the policy to them and to encourage them to take advantage of the opportunity that will be created by the supply gap. Remember, local production usually suffers when the cost of importation is lower than the cost of local production.

GOD bless you sir, this is the kind of explanation I actually needed. I just knew it needed an economist explanation since they said no ban on importation. My own purpose on NL is to learn thanks a lot
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by GodMode: 2:39pm On Aug 12, 2015
AdaNri1:
youre very quick to pick offence because I pointed out your ill manners. I must have struck a nerve then!
I did not ask you the question specifically, you would have scrolled down if you wanted to but you chose to insult me. You're very good at dishing but not so at taking right?
Next time you see my post better hurriedly scroll past!!
And look who's calling someone a coward? A playground bully like you. Mr ITK

You insulted my parents and you don't expect me to feel offended

You're a coward, dull brain parasite who talks too much who thinks people opposing her views are "ITK"... You have serious comprehension issues...
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by murmee: 2:46pm On Aug 12, 2015
DaGC:
'steel nails' shocked

Abi plastic nails dey before cheesy
Why won't they import steel nails when the ones made in Nigeria is like a screw driver.
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by erico2k2(m): 2:47pm On Aug 12, 2015
tkcosby02:

What exactly is your argument now??
That our problem is not importing but exporting.?
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by erico2k2(m): 2:50pm On Aug 12, 2015
gidjah:
Some of the products listed here, needs be outrightly banned.pls why r we importing toot pick abi na tooth nails??,have our igbo brodas gone dumb??why r we still importing chicken,palm oilall this made in obodo oyinbo people no go stop supprising us o!
Plz name one country in the west that do not import any of the above mentioned
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by Nobody: 3:00pm On Aug 12, 2015
GodMode:

You insulted my parents and you don't expect me to feel offended

You're a coward, dull brain parasite who talks too much who thinks people opposing her views are "ITK"... You have serious comprehension issues...
please post your degree certificate let's see how intelligent you are.
You're an ill mannered urchin and will remain so. My advice to you next time is to mind your tongue. You're not a coward but all your strength is on your keypad, wasting your Mb on irrelevant issues that you should have scrolled away from.
Even professors have subjects they don't know very well. But you're ITK because you know it all. If you were a well brought up child my question didn't need a long answer but you chose to insult me instead, manifesting your ill upbringing and telling me that I insulted your parents when you did so by your actions.
You're a young chap, and I'll give you this advice since you did not learn it from home "if you do not have anything nice to say, don't say anything"
That will help you a lot in life instead of parading yourself as Mr Knowitall when I can guess from your reply that you graduated school with a mere certificate of attendance.
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 12, 2015
tkcosby02:
Am sure the only thing we dont import in Nigeria is citizenship. Our politicians, profs, royal fathers are all imported.

The amalgamation of the protectorates that later became Nigeria was the beginning of importation of citizenship.

That was the first importation.
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by christinie(f): 3:32pm On Aug 12, 2015
tkcosby02:
Am sure the only thing we dont import in Nigeria is citizenship. Our politicians, profs, royal fathers are all imported. So its not surprising we are importing meat, fish, tootpick, even peppe and tomatoes.... Meanwhile the poster above me stole my portion, meet me in the supreme court, im suing you for unlawful possession grin
Even Boo Boo was imported from Chad.
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 12, 2015
GodMode:

You're a f:ool your parents couldn't afford an abortion so they managed to birth you but they already knew you were brainless at birth but they chose to send you to school but your retarded brain wouldn't let you get good grades so when you grew old enough your dullness and ignorant parents told you to bcom a runz girl and f:uck around for money cos situation is hopeless...

Your parents disown you, you're a disgrace to yourself and your family and you're keep on been a victim cos you're d:umb and you would never understand why you're a failure..
where is your certificate Mr ITK?
For you to resort to cheap insult and vitriol just proved me right all along. grin grin cheesy
Can't take but can dish it ei mate?
Go back home and get some parental training child, you're clearly still a little boy.

1 Like

Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by sonnie10: 4:23pm On Aug 12, 2015
Sometimes, I wonder if the policy makers in Nigeria have been living somewhere else. Now, just stopping forex on these items would only cause temporary hiccup to the importers and by extension the final consumers. Outright ban seems to be a long term solution. Let me explain;

As at today, the official dollar to Naira exchange rate is about $1 - #199 while at the Parallel market, it is about $1 - #216. Let say you are an importer, dealing on Iron doors used for building and each door cost $1,000 to import. Meaning your cost price use to be #199,000 for each door when you were getting dollar from the banks. Now, you are still allowed to import the same Iron doors but you would have to source for the dollars elsewhere. Many here would conclude that the new cost price for each door would be #216,000. That is absolutely wrong and I will explain.

In importation, there are a lot of other overheads cost involved like freight, insurance, duties, levies and tax which are usually paid in Naira. An advantage for the importers. Most times, these added costs determine the final price of item and not just the cost from manufacturers overseas. Unfortunately, for the listed items, the Naira part of the costs have not changed. Therefore, the impact of the new policy is marginal. Don't be surprise that the price of the Iron doors in our example might only increase by an insignificant amount. In fact, it may not increase at all because traders are smart enough to reduce their profit margin or source for other manufactures overseas who would be willing to supply at a reduced price. We are talking about China suppliers here remember!

Remember, the reason the policy was made was to give local manufacturers advantage in term of final product pricing, so that customers would rather buy the local products instead of the imported ones (in this example, the Iron doors). As long as there are channels to continue the importation of these products, local manufactures would hardly meet up with competition. Chinese are not smiling! #199 and #216 difference between bank rate and parallel market of dollar does not help matters.

As a side note, I read somewhere in this thread where someone gave the example of Guinness and Coca cola who are thriving despite the high cost of production in Nigeria. My answer to that is this; their product are contraband. You are not allowed import them. There are no imported alternatives except for few that come through the back doors. Allow people to import Guinness, Coca Cola or even other brands and see what will happen to those companies in matter of days.
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by GodMode: 4:50pm On Aug 12, 2015
AdaNri1:
where is your certificate Mr ITK?
For you to resort to cheap insult and vitriol just proved me right all along. grin grin cheesy
Can't take but can dish it ei mate?
Go back home and get some parental training child, you're clearly still a little boy.

Keep trying to console your sorry a:ss... You're intellectually dormant.. You're a lost soul..
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by gidjah(m): 5:39pm On Aug 12, 2015
Pls mention one country,that solely lives and depend on importation and never suffers set back in her economy?
erico2k2:

Plz name one country in the west that do not import any of the above mentioned
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by sonnie10: 6:29pm On Aug 12, 2015
gidjah:
Pls mention one country,that solely lives and depend on importation and never suffers set back in her economy?

US import as of 2014 was #2.3t while export was $1.64. Not only that there is a huge gap between the two - import and export, the economy has been performing well in the last few years.

1 Like

Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by erico2k2(m): 6:58pm On Aug 12, 2015
gidjah:
Simple question I asked you , no answer from you instead you are asking me the opposite,my answer to your question is no country, so what your answer to my question then,Let me repeat, I said name one country in teh west where those food stuff you mentioned are not imported to,I think you know the answer.
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by erico2k2(m): 7:01pm On Aug 12, 2015
sonnie10:

US import as of 2014 was #2.3t while export was $1.64. Not only that there is a huge gap between the two - import and export, the economy has been performing well in the last few years.
Thank you very much Bro, leave these wanna B economist, ,I call them follow follow,ask them when they have ever bought or read any financial Journal zero, even as at today and yesterday, china's import was greater than their export and they have been devaluing their currency two days now in a straight row, they might devalue it further by the end of today.
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by chinchum(m): 7:25pm On Aug 12, 2015
nymphomaniac:
sorry o but I can't eat made in Nigeria sardine. Some things are not just meant to be produced in Nigeria. Our hygienic standards have to Improve
bro, do u eat, made in Nigeria tomatoes and pepper, drink made in Nigeria garri, eat made in Nigeria sausage rolls ( gala, e.t.c),..... if ur answer is positive to any of those, you are deceiving yourself
Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by gidjah(m): 8:00pm On Aug 12, 2015
Broda Econometrics, is US same as Nigeria?,is US d same in size as Nig,is US economic index in growth same as Nig, is US a dumping ground like Nig??never compare nations like US with Nig in any area of economics pls, they are Light yrs ahead if even not just Nig,but the whole of Africa put together,even S/Africa has gone ahead if Nig interms of Economy ,na US u dey take neasure Naija economic index,pls leave that matter out sir.Any nation who totally live on import will hardly grow in local economy take it or leave it. I have lived in D US, S/Africa,gone to Ghana,Tunisia for international events so i am not a novice about the economics of this nations
sonnie10:

Re: List Of 41 Imported Items CBN Ban From Forex by erico2k2(m): 8:11pm On Aug 12, 2015
gidjah:
Broda Econometrics, is US same as Nigeria?,is US d same in size as Nig,is US economic index in growth same as Nig, is US a dumping ground like Nig??never compare nations like US with Nig in any area of economics pls, they are Light yrs ahead if even not just Nig,but the whole of Africa put together,even S/Africa has gone ahead if Nig interms of Economy ,na US u dey take neasure Naija economic index,pls leave that matter out sir.Any nation who totally live on import will hardly grow in local economy take it or leave it. I have lived in D US, S/Africa,gone to Ghana,Tunisia for international events so i am not a novice about the economics of this nations
Bross chey no be by force to comment on matters you no know, abeg, waht is ECONOMIC INDEX Oh dear, Im an Engineer the wee bit of Econs I know are learnt from my Dad and younger bro who are both chatt Accts.Stop now B4 U embarrass yourself further, you have been warned.
PS: For you to get a progressive figure or value on an entity there must be comparison, the index you use is up to you to define.Stop being ignorant and learn from people who know what they are chatting about you might just gain from it, I don't mean this in a bad way.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Subomi Balogun Arrives At Ojude Oba In Rolls-Royce Phantom / Banning Forex Trading And Sports Betting Promotion / Allen Onyema Indicted For Bank Fraud And Money Laundering In America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.