Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,749 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? (5159 Views)

Is It By Force To Take Your Child To Santa? (Photo) / Man Abandons Children In Boarding School For Eight Years / Think Before You Send Your Kids Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by Ndipe(m): 4:23am On Mar 24, 2009
Sometimes, Nigerian parents residing abroad resort to placing their kids in boarding houses back home to straighten them out, especially for those wannabe thugs. Others, may have a different opinion, ranging from a genuine desire to instil the Nigerian culture in their lives, or (who knows), relieve the memories of boarding school for them.

Would you? I wouldnt for the life of me. I might as well, just pack my bags and baggages to Nigeria with my whole family for them to be in boarding houses. But then again, as for straightening them out, who knows, it could work out for their benefit.
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by Sissy3(f): 4:37am On Mar 24, 2009
yes, i would especially if they start acting up and if i have somebody back home that would take good of them.
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by Nobody: 7:19am On Mar 24, 2009
No, I wouldn't send my child to a Nigerian boarding school.

Not even if I was in Nigeria myself.
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by Nobody: 8:29am On Mar 24, 2009
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by ow11(m): 8:40am On Mar 24, 2009
I guess this thread was started with the opinion that only children raised in Nigeria are reasonable and all the Nigerian children in the UK will eventually become thugs.

I will not send my children to boarding school in Nigeria even if I live in Nigeria. Children become responsible adults because their parents are responsible and not because they were beaten to a pulp as teenagers.

1 Like

Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by Nobody: 9:05am On Mar 24, 2009
ow11:

I guess this thread was started with the opinion that only children raised in Nigeria are reasonable and all the Nigerian children in the UK will eventually become thugs.

I will not send my children to boarding school in Nigeria even if I live in Nigeria. Children become responsible adults because their parents are responsible and not because they were beaten to a pulp as teenagers.

You've summed it up perfectly.
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by iice(f): 12:46pm On Mar 24, 2009
Yes. For the experience.
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by Fhemmmy: 12:56pm On Mar 24, 2009
Yes would, but might die of stress, cos Nigeria is just not secured.
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by JustGood(m): 2:16pm On Mar 24, 2009
I did and would do it again. It's about getting the right school.

I'd rather have my child learn about his background and learn Nigerian ways than to have a child who doesn't care about and only thinks about how much fun he can have at any given time.

There is a disciplinary atmosphere in the right places in Nigeria that you can never find in western societies because of the rights thingy. It made all the difference in my first child's life and I'll be doing it again.

1 Like

Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by benincitys(f): 10:14am On Mar 25, 2009
yes ,
to see the other side of the world
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by uzwu: 11:26am On Mar 25, 2009
Yes i would gladly do that to instill discipline and proper upbringing.

1 Like

Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by server34(m): 10:25pm On Mar 25, 2009
Yes . . . to soji like me.
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by bawomolo(m): 12:05am On Mar 26, 2009
uzwu:

Yes i would gladly do that to instill discipline and proper upbringing.

Yeah all that morality oozing in Nigerian boarding houses.  Breaking down a kids spirit doesn't make them disciplined, it turns into submissive automations.

It says a lot about you as a parent if you can't instill discipline in your own household.

There is a disciplinary atmosphere in the right places in Nigeria that you can never find in western societies because of the rights thingy. It made all the difference in my first child's life and I'll be doing it again.

how have the authoritative nature of Nigerian boarding schools benefited the society

1 Like

Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by Skywalker5(m): 12:15am On Mar 26, 2009
I will definitely want my kids to spend thier first 20 years in Naija. Although they can be given birth too abroad.

Growing up in Nigeria will opened their eyes a lot and has make them tough.I mean going abroad for Holidays is fine so they can see the difference between the 2 places.It might be hard @ d begining you know for them growing up in Nigeria when they can have a more flexible life abroad but i feel Nigeria is better for them to be raised But Boarding school might be a problem.
Really dont trust Boarding.I prefer to raise them Myself in Nigeria than taking them to boarding school

Boarding school to me is for parent who are busy and dont have time for kids(from my own view)
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by janedoe(f): 12:32am On Mar 26, 2009
@ Topic yes,I think when I have kids I'll send them to naija for 3 years(ss1-ss3),they'll thank me later smiley
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by JustGood(m): 5:34pm On Mar 02, 2011
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12596596

Actress Joanna Lumley has claimed that British children are being brought up with "slack" morals.

The 64-year-old Absolutely Fabulous star said the younger generation needed to be given "hearty pursuits" like building camps or working on farms.

She also bemoaned a lack of respect for education in Britain and said children should be given more responsibilities.

Lumley made the comments in an interview with the Radio Times.

"We are very slack with our moral codes for children these days. Nowadays, children find it laughably amusing to shoplift and steal.

"We smile when they download information from the internet and lazily present it as their own work. We allow them to bunk off school and bring in sick notes," she said.

She also said: "There was one 'crime' during the whole time I was at school, when a fountain pen went missing. Stealing just didn't happen.

"I was taught not to shoplift, not to steal, not to behave badly. We weren't even allowed to drop litter."

She also recalled "quite small children take on huge responsibilities" while making programmes around the world.

She added: "In Ethiopia, you might find a seven-year-old expected to take 15 goats out into the fields for the whole day with only a chapati to eat and his whistle.

"Why are we so afraid to give our children responsibilities like this?

"I think laptops should be banned from schools. Until you can prove you can add up on your fingers or think independently in your head, you have learnt nothing," she added.

Farm work

The actress, who is narrating Enid Blyton tale The Cheat on Radio 4, said: "I think we're leading our children into a false paradise. We're not teaching them how to apply themselves and be present, how to accomplish a job and finish it, how to learn other languages and actually achieve a trade.

"What are we doing with our education policies? Running from one side to the other, with no notion of where we are going."

The actress, who famously took on Gordon Brown's government to allow all Gurkhas the right to settle in the UK, added: "We have taken our foot off the education pedal, and I don't think it makes anyone happy. We don't respect education. Not at all. Not like in Africa or China, where it is hugely respected.

"I would like to see children involved in hearty-sounding pursuits, such as building a camp. Or getting an entire school to go and work in a farm, for a term, all together."
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by Blazay(m): 7:02pm On Mar 02, 2011
Oh yes! cool
Only for secondary schooling. NOT for graduate or post-graduate studies! Oh No!!!! shocked
Let mosquitos bite them small, like they did me. kiss
It is also important you expose them to the way the most, ultimately 'corrupt' mind works. 419, Nigerian, Christians to be exact!!! cheesy
That way. . . the can NEVER be mugus. . . . cool
If they go back to Nigeria ever. . . they would know how to sleep around/hustle for 'contracts' too to keep alive. . . or join cults kpa kpa without being killed themselves.! kiss
Anything it takes to survive in that 'jungle hole' called Nigeria.
Not for academic merit(absolutely none). . . but for the most effective 'global' socialization skills.
No child sent to a Nigerian boarding school(well supervised of course) becomes easily manipulated by any around him or her.
They wise up fast too and become super independent adults. cool

No education is wasted. Amen.

Yup. . . my grandma raised me when my dad had to go abroad for a while. I learned a lot from her.
Grand parents are great sources of discipline and wisdom. cool
Loved/appreciated my parents even more.
Thank God for grand parents. We are blessed to have them. cool

Hopefully, they will not turn out to be the likes of "Tobechi" the Abia state 419 king pin wanted all over the world. Amen. cheesy
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by obowunmi(m): 9:58pm On Mar 02, 2011
Yes --- children will be in Nigeria for secondary school. Regular school too, nothing bouguersie, Queens college or a federal government school. Also, they will not be going back and forth during school, they will reside in Nigeria permanently during those times. No London, US, Dubai holiday stuff --- they will spend all hlidays wrking on a community service project somewhere in Nigeria, preferably at a church or mosque.
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by Outstrip(f): 12:28am On Mar 03, 2011
No. They are my responsibility. What values are they going to instill in my child. I think it is pure laziness to send your child to someone else to raise for you
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by obowunmi(m): 1:10am On Mar 03, 2011
How is sending ones child to boarding skool, irresponsiblee ? Its a choice. I went to boarding skool and so will they.
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by Outstrip(f): 1:12am On Mar 03, 2011
obowunmi:

How is sending ones child to boarding skool, irresponsiblee ? Its a choice. I went to boarding skool and so will they.

my opinion, my children. Your opinion, your children
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by spoilt(f): 1:12am On Mar 03, 2011
No. Never. Hell will freeze over first, and yeah I went to a boarding school in naija so I know.
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by Nobody: 10:52am On Mar 03, 2011
I will not.
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by MissyB3(f): 11:14am On Mar 03, 2011
Blazay:

Oh yes! cool
Only for secondary schooling. NOT for graduate or post-graduate studies! Oh No!!!! shocked
Let mosquitos bite them small, like they did me. kiss
It is also important you expose them to the way the most, ultimately 'corrupt' mind works. 419, Nigerian, Christians to be exact!!! cheesy
That way. . . the can NEVER be mugus. . . . cool
If they go back to Nigeria ever. . . they would know how to sleep around/hustle for 'contracts' too to keep alive. . . or join cults kpa kpa without being killed themselves.! kiss
Anything it takes to survive in that 'jungle hole' called Nigeria.
Not for academic merit(absolutely none). . . but for the most effective 'global' socialization skills.
No child sent to a Nigerian boarding school(well supervised of course) becomes easily manipulated by any around him or her.
They wise up fast too and become super independent adults. cool

No education is wasted. Amen.

Yup. . . my grandma raised me when my dad had to go abroad for a while. I learned a lot from her.
Grand parents are great sources of discipline and wisdom. cool
Loved/appreciated my parents even more.
Thank God for grand parents. We are blessed to have them. cool

Hopefully, they will not turn out to be the likes of "Tobechi" the Abia state 419 king pin wanted all over the world. Amen. cheesy
2 words - Hilarious and true!
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by skybeauty(f): 4:57pm On Mar 11, 2011
I will definitely do dat if i hav d opportunity cos I went 2 a boarding skul and knew d discipline it instilled in me not only dat it made me know how to wriggle my way out of any web and also have my guts so dat i can speak to anyone without fidgetting.

It is also important so that they wud taste the two sides of life; I bliv it makes them wiser
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Mar 11, 2011
Ah boarding school. though much of its disciplines have faded, I learnt a lot there.

I may send my child back to naija for it, I dunno yet. smiley
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by horny4u(f): 10:16am On Mar 13, 2011
Yes I can, not basically for discipline but to learn how to be hungrily ambitious in a moral way though, to learn resilience add that to the creative atmosphere in the UK, I think it will help them to be better equiped.
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by MrsSiena1(f): 6:25pm On Mar 13, 2011
Would not send my child to Nigeria to attend a boarding school no no no.

Only you can straighten out your child don't expect someone else to do it for you. I onced worked in a prestigious boarding school in Nigeria and I tell you the school was a dumping ground for kids whose parents live abroad, I tell you they didnt fare any better at all. The even came out of the school worse than they came in and it had negative effects on the kids, especially when its visiting day you find them hanging round their friend's parents cos their own parents couldnt come cos of distance. So no will never allow my kids go to a boarding school in Nigeria or anywhere would prefer that they go to a day school where I can check up on their everyday activities and not having to wait for some months before I see them no way.
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by semid4lyfe(m): 12:01am On Mar 14, 2011
Have Siena and Mrs Siena ever taken divergent views on any topic on Nairaland? undecided

[size=4pt]Not implying anything but just wondering and thinking aloud[/size] grin
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by Ndipe(m): 12:49am On Mar 14, 2011
Mrs. Siena:

Would not send my child to Nigeria to attend a boarding school no no no.

Only you can straighten out your child don't expect someone else to do it for you. I onced worked in a prestigious boarding school in Nigeria and I tell you the school was a dumping ground for  kids whose parents live abroad, I tell you they didnt fare any better at all. The even came out of the school worse than they came in and it had negative effects on the kids, especially when its visiting day you find them hanging round their friend's parents cos their own parents couldnt come cos of distance. So no will never allow my kids go to a boarding school in Nigeria or anywhere would prefer that they go to a day school where I can check up on their everyday activities and not having to wait for some months before I see them no way.

When will you let them out of home? College? I like your viewpoints and I have been wondering if I would send my child to boarding house before 18 years old. Sending them to boarding house at a young age makes them grow fast, there are advantages and disadvantages.

Sienna Miller
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by dady2011(m): 4:14am On Mar 14, 2011
It depends. If he/she is out of control and hanging out with wrong friends, it is best to have him/her go to secondary school in Nigeria if the parent can afford to do so, otherwise, it is highly likely he/she will not make it through to a University, it does not matter what the parent do. Reseach shows that it is easier for a black kid (boys mostly) to get into Prison than into a University after high school.

Finally, there is no right or wrong answer to this question. Though many kids raised in the West tends to play truancy, do drugs, lack respect, rude, lazy and just do not care about their actions expecially when they are still below 18.
Re: For Nigerians Abroad: Will You Send Your Child To A Nigerian Boarding School? by chi21: 11:40am On Mar 21, 2011
Yes I will send them to a boarding school also so the will learn and speak the lauguage there

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

fgd / He Cheated And Blames Me / Am Confused, Should I Take Her Back Or Let Her Go?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.