Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,809 members, 7,820,835 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue (1004 Views)

Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? / States Internally Generated Revenue: See How Much Your State Generates. / Dwindling Revenue: FG, States, Lgs Share N422.6bn August Allocation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by AnambraDota: 5:54am On Aug 14, 2015
Anambra State Governor, Willie Obiano, on Thursday, said the state did not feel the heat of dwindling resources in the country because he foresaw that oil prices would drop. Obiano, who recently increased workers’ salaries by 15 per cent in the state, said the drop in oil prices was a blessing in disguise as it enabled his administration to look inward and restructure the state’s Internally Generated Revenue. The governor, who was elected on the platform of the All Progressive Grand Alliance, said this in Lagos during the Distinguished Lecture Series organised by the School of Media and Communication, Pan-Atlantic University. The Dean, School of Media and Communication of PAU, Dr. Ike Obiaya, said the lecture was organised to nurture a culture of robust debate on significant national issues with a view to instilling right attitude and ethical values in leaders. Obiano, who spoke on the topic, “Sustaining the legacy of growth and development in Anambra State,”said it had not been easy governing Anambra State because “everybody is wise in our state.” He said, “We analysed the Nigerian economy and foresaw that oil prices would crash to about $55 per barrel in less than one year. We foresaw that if oil prices crashed, it would bring down our revenue by 50 per cent. Having figured that out we began to work on improving our IGR by restructuring our revenue sources. He said, “I still think that in Anambra State, we have yet to evolve the culture of patience and forbearance with our leadership class. It is important that our elites realise that only one man can be the governor. Until we realise this cold fact and begin to support whoever the people have chosen to lead them, we may always succeed as individuals and fail as a group. We all know that group failure makes individual success meaningless. “We sought to win by giving governance a human face and clearing pension owed senior citizens. We also responded to the cries of the civil servants by raising their salaries by 15 per cent at a time that oil prices were crashing and states were grappling with the reality of shrinking revenues. These gestures are the software of governance because they are just as important as building bridges and roads.” Copyright PUNCH.All rights reserve
www.punchng.com/politics/foresight-saved-anambra-from-dwindling-revenue-obiano/

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by sluk(m): 5:55am On Aug 14, 2015
great

1 Like

Re: Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by Nobody: 5:58am On Aug 14, 2015
"Everybody is wise in anambra"..mehn, this shi.t is so true.

When ever am in anambra, I feel 'left out'. Everyone seems to have a planed future and working towards it...

6 Likes

Re: Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by deadZONE: 6:03am On Aug 14, 2015
Re: Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by chinology: 6:40am On Aug 14, 2015
Anambra adigo mma cool

Anambra obodo oyibo cool

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by Nobody: 6:55am On Aug 14, 2015
Light of the nation

1 Like

Re: Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by Nobody: 7:08am On Aug 14, 2015
But he just started and already doing well. 17months in power..can he probe Peter Obi's government undecided

Lalasticlala...abeg this story needs touching and promotion to business class.

Igbo kwenu yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh smiley

Arranged in order of beauty and economy:

1. Owerri
2. Enugu
3. Onitsha
4. Abakaliki
5. Aba
Re: Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by BishopMagic: 7:10am On Aug 14, 2015
Meanwhile aregbesse is still waiting for handouts

Sophisticated beggers

5 Likes

Re: Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by 1love4all: 7:14am On Aug 14, 2015
Time to exit Zoo.
Re: Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by patrick89(m): 12:55pm On Aug 14, 2015
liberty300:
"Everybody is wise in anambra"..mehn, this shi.t is so true.

When ever am in anambra, I feel 'left out'. Everyone seems to have a planed future and working towards it...

My junior Brother that came back from lagos to anambra once said this same thing, he is doing his masters awka, he used to complain that igbos are "terribly" wise! he is used to lagos and yoruba life. But he can write a book of Anambra people, he narrated how he has to undergo series of thinking whenever he is about to deal with anyone.

I tell you, for you to govern Anambra you have to be up and doing, that's why I respect Obi, if okoroocha or T.A orji tries that rubbish they did or doing in Anambra they would be kidnapped.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by Anambra1stSon(m): 1:53pm On Aug 14, 2015
patrick89:

My junior Brother that came back from lagos to anambra once said this same thing, he is doing his masters awka, he used to complain that igbos are "terribly" wise! he is used to lagos and yoruba life. But he can write a book of Anambra people, he narrated how he has to undergo series of thinking whenever he is about to deal with anyone. grin

I tell you, for you to govern Anambra you have to be up and doing, that's why I respect Obi, if okoroocha or T.A orji tries that rubbish they did or doing in Anambra they would be kidnapped.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by zendy: 2:04pm On Aug 14, 2015
I'm an Anambra man. You have to have a backbone made of steel to be Governor of that state. This is a state that probably has the largest number of Billionaires in Nigeria and none of them are smiling. Money is what talks in Anambra and those who have it can be highly arrogant. In Anambra, everybody is wise and no one ever agrees they are wrong. The hot pursuit for money controls the thinking of every Anmbra man that is why it is not a state for "a learner".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by Whynotthetruth(m): 2:34pm On Aug 14, 2015
"It had not been easy governing Anambra State because “everybody is wise in our state.”...gringringrin That's the reality in the state and they typify the dictum; "Igbo enwe eze" ...To an Anambra guy, Whatever you're nah for your pocket cheesy he's his own king and big man too grin
Re: Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by Whynotthetruth(m): 2:43pm On Aug 14, 2015
TO ALL UNEMPLOYED YOUTHS HERE...

If an uneducated guy could plan his life so well and be able to make it with NO GOVERNMENT assistance through his hustles in the streets of Nnewi, Onitsha, Awka, Aba etc then ONLY laziness can stop you...thanks
Re: Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by AnambraDota: 3:32pm On Aug 14, 2015
zendy:
I'm an Anambra man. You have to have a backbone made of steel to be Governor of that state. This is a state that probably has the largest number of Billionaires in Nigeria and none of them are smiling. Money is what talks in Anambra and those who have it can be highly arrogant. In Anambra, everybody is wise and no one ever agrees they are wrong. The hot pursuit for money controls the thinking of every Anmbra man that is why it is not a state for "a learner".

Not necessarily that everything in Anambra is about money but Ndi Anambra are born capitalist, whether your a businessman, sportsman, writer or artist they want to hear you name ring a bell.

We need to change that orientation that money is everything, money is good but success is relative, we need to differentiate between success and moneymaking, there is huge gap here.

Even the most respected people in Anambra are not among the richest but the successful ones.

Anambra is not about money but competition

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by AnambraDota: 3:37pm On Aug 14, 2015
BishopMagic:
Meanwhile aregbesse is still waiting for handouts

Sophisticated beggers

I don't think if this is necessary, Osun is not the only state owing her workers in Nigeria, why the namedropping, some states in East are owing too

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by AnambraDota: 3:48pm On Aug 14, 2015
patrick89:

My junior Brother that came back from lagos to anambra once said this same thing, he is doing his masters awka, he used to complain that igbos are "terribly" wise! he is used to lagos and yoruba life. But he can write a book of Anambra people, he narrated how he has to undergo series of thinking whenever he is about to deal with anyone.

What Obi did in Anambra can be summarize below. ( One is not enough )

1-If you had money and not educated, the educated in Anambra will trample upon you.

2-If your educated but is not wealthy, the wealthy ones will trample upon you.

Peter Obi came, he got the money, he is educated, he used his education to withstand the educated and using his money to wage the battle of the riches. This is why he is the only surviving governor in Anambra State, though this isn't possible without some battle scars on his body.

Education and wealth are the two musketeers needed to make Anambra a success story, its not the state for the faint of heart.

1 Like

Re: Foresight Saved Anambra From Dwindling Revenue by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 14, 2015
even a new born anambrarian know wassup in his locality...
you no need to lectureram

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba's Still Keep Their Deity After Being Born Again But The Igbo's Don't Why? / Igbo Group Defends Buhari's Appointment / Breaking : Saraki On The Run As FG Orders Arrest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.