Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,959 members, 7,828,395 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria (13225 Views)

Nigerian Becomes First Black Woman To Graduate With First Class Degree From UK! / Hepatitis And Company Employment In Nigeria / 5 Worst Degrees With Lowest potential For Employment In nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by Radiant(f): 4:17pm On Oct 04, 2006
Zebra, that was so wrong of you. You trying to prove what? God knows what attitude you got out there. Abeg leave Seun alone and sort out urself
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by kitaun(m): 4:44pm On Oct 04, 2006
@Radiant, Zebra, and Jaychuks

Seun and Duttybarb are 2 people full of themselves, so pls let us all adopt a siddon and watch attitude as they cancel themselves out.Lol grin grin grin
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by AlphaRog: 9:13pm On Oct 05, 2006
For me I think it is stupid for energetic and able bodied men and women to be denied the opportunity to work from the onset. Why should there be age barrier for young school leavers? Very funny to ask for an MSC holder at the age of 25 here in Nigeria, knowing what is obtainable in Naija here. When we deny our graduates reasonable job we are invarably asking them to resort to whatever talent they may be able to depend upon, crime not exclusive.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by LoverBwoy(m): 6:09pm On Oct 06, 2006
Hope u are actually doing something about it and not just talking about it.

1 Like

Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by ishmael(m): 7:23pm On Oct 06, 2006
Radiant:

Zebra, that was so wrong of you. You trying to prove what? God knows what attitude you got out there. Abeg leave Seun alone and sort out yourself

Seun was wrong. He was displaying some form of pride and arrogance, which is not really good. Radiant, whats your own sef?? Why are you supporting Seun like dat?? Is he your husband or something?? Let Seun apologise to people he has offended here else he should ban himself.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by CoolDave(m): 7:37pm On Oct 06, 2006
@Seun--What have you said that deserve the barrage of negative responses?

@Haters of the Truth---When will you guys start to think of being the employer rather than the employees?

@Me ,Myself and I---I have always been on the recieving end of Employers'decision to cut we the grey hair guys off from employment,but I ve decamped now--How long shall I continue to blame others that hardly know me for my situation?

@ All concerned---Let us all learn to take responsibilities and face life by assuming certain positions,if you dont break your eggshell,mother nature and God wont break it for you.Its our responsibilities to be responsible to ourselves and eventually to others.
Mowi ire abi mio wi ire?--Have I said well? cool
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by ishmael(m): 7:41pm On Oct 06, 2006
o'o wi ire
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by Radiant(f): 11:20am On Oct 07, 2006
ishmael:

Seun was wrong. He was displaying some form of pride and arrogance, which is not really good. Radiant, whats your own sef?? Why are you supporting Seun like that?? Is he your husband or something?? Let Seun apologise to people he has offended here else he should ban himself.

Na today? So what if he's arrogant and proud Aplogise U kidding me right?
I'm not supporting Seun and even if, u never supported anyone in ur entire sorry life? Abeg remove the speck in your eyes before telling another to do so.
Seun was being honest from his own view and may I ask, what's arrogant about that Better swallow the truth or I might have to force it down your throat.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by LoverBwoy(m): 7:02pm On Oct 07, 2006
i wonder how many people "he" has employed sef!
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by ThisDumebi: 6:14pm On Oct 09, 2006
Age limit as an obligatory aspect of job advert in Nigeria is unfortunate.At what age did most of us gain addmission into university what with JAMB hurdle and all?With the maximum limit at 26,27,it's compelling to ask how many Nigerians finished university career at that age?This is why falsification of age will keep recurring in the desperation for job placement.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by uchetobi(f): 12:30pm On Oct 13, 2006
Well I think everybody should be thinking of entrepreneurship at one time or the other in the course of life. Are u going 2 die working 4 somebody? It’s a rat race really. And 1 day u’ll wake up, get to work and c a letter saying ur services are no longer needed. Wat do u do? Ur efforts? Time etc amounts to nothing. Will u kill d MD? We don’t have to learn from experience. Learn by watching others. At 40 should we should all aim to be job givers not job seekers. Its just my humble opinion anyways 2 things if u are working for someone or some organization. Plan well, pray well and keep ur ears open for opportunities. Be bold to take risks.
About the issue of age barrier its unfortunate but its true. Wat do u do then? Jump into the lake? Have a business plan for your life, set goals, document them. You will achieve. You will be surprised what u could do for yourself with a little amount of money. You don’t have to wait till you are a billionaire.
Cheers
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by Kashif(m): 9:51am On Oct 26, 2006
Uchetobi,

You made a lot of sense. Everybody seems to be focusing on being employed, being employed and being employed!! No one is thinking about being an employer.

It is true some capital is needed to start off but, our mindsets need some adjustment. If we want to be perpetuated on another man's payroll, then we can always let anxiety take control of our lives.

We attend schools partly to be employed but I am of the opinion that we go there so that we can talk when others are talking. The more you are able to meet people's needs on time, the less you worry about financies. It is time to turn around.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by saintsola(m): 11:40am On Oct 31, 2006
in a situation where graduates increases at a geometrical rates and jobs increases at an arithemetical rate.what do u expect?the employers of labour has to look for a means to narrow down the number of people that applies for certain position.That is the reason some company uses BSC,2-1,age below 26 as a means of reducing the number of graduates that apply for specific positions.It's not that BSC are better than HND holders,1st class or 2-1 are not better than holders of other grades.As i always tell my colleagues,"exam is not the best way to test intelligence,but there is not other way"
Even for those that meets the stated requirements"1st class,BSC,age less than 26"how many of them get employed at the end of the day.?i want us to look at the issue critically,objectively and dispassionately that it is the fault of the employers who are interested in getting the best out of the milllions of available unemployed graduates.And its high time we stopped seeing education as a VISA to getting a good and white collar job.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by waleleader(m): 12:22pm On Jan 16, 2007
I am definitely interested in this topic and we have to do something about this age discrimination. The UK now has laws against age discrimination, and \nigerian govt has to do something.

we all know that an average niigerian graduate is 26 yrs plus 1yr NYSC, so how would an organisation request for persons not older than 25 yrs for a graduate trainee position.

Everybody cannot be self-employed, i could say i have the wits and the resources to establish my own company but that is not what i want. My desire is to be a technocrat and that cannot be achieved by starting out as an entrepreneur.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by crito(m): 2:43pm On Jan 17, 2007
nice talk people you have said it all. smiley smiley smiley
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by Rlst84sale(m): 2:06am On Apr 13, 2007
Considering the way Niaja is, everyone would eventually lean toward starting your own business one way or the other. I have heard many people criticizing Naija govt for not creating jobs for instance. Creating job is not the responsibility of the govt, and no government should dictate to people who and how they should hire. I think even when people don't have money to start a business, 5, 10, or more people should come together and contribute their widow's mites and start something and work hard on it. Naija is so educated that we can do anything we set our mind on. I hope someone get the call. Lest I forget, why should the govt care about if people are employed or not?, they don't derive large portion of their revenue from taxes as in US or Britain. As long as the oil is flowing they won't care about someone like you or others, therefore you need to sit down and put heads together and create something.

Alternatively however, if you insist that we must do something about it, I just posted a topic about if we can get our politicians email addresses to vent our concerns and frustrations on instances such as this. Good luck.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by eko4show(m): 10:58am On Apr 13, 2007
Guys lets strike a balance here

1. Discrimination on the bases of age should be illegal
2. We can not all be entrepreneurs, as we all have different chemistry and configs.
3. ideally, at 40 i would imagine you should start considering being on your own. If however a 50 year old choses to remain an employee and retire at 70, he should not be castigated or discriminated against on the grounds of age.
4. am very sure most of our parents especially those from west coast of nigeria were not enterprenuers. they played safe in a paid job and they supported us through our education. they would not dare go it alone. some of us can even ridicle them for their timidity, but am sure most of us would not be where we are today, if our parents had taken some uncalculated risk and had been able to recover from it.

in summary, much as i am in favour of "doing your own thing" 100%, we should not give the impression that those who have chosen to be an employee all through their career are dumb or unintelligent. An entreprenuer is not necessarily more intelligent than an employee.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by Aproko(f): 1:54pm On Apr 13, 2007
seun i think you should watch it.am glad you think you are smart, i think you are overdoing it a little, but try to remember that everybody cannot have the same opportunities or think the same way.its obvious you have read enof rich dad & poor dad series and its working for you but not evrybody will have thesame opportunities, not everybody will work in shell or nlng because life is not fair. you should have sympathy for those that have to graple with the fact that they have struggled to finish school and yet cant find a job to pay bills at home,at least a job for a start.i spent 7yrs studying law,1year lawsch,1yr nysc, and mind you, i never failed a course, graduated with a 2.1 & all.but do you expect me to be below 24 after all these years?show sympathy for those that are still finding their feet,no matter how old they are.encourage them instead of rubbing your success in their faces cos God is the one that blesses.it takes one moment to strike gold and the same moment to go under.just be grateful for your situation and help those you can instead of making a fool of them or their opinions.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by Rlst84sale(m): 2:19am On Apr 14, 2007
I don't know why we always want to blow things out of proportion. Seun and others have not said anything wrong. Their responses are just motivational statements to get the guy out of his comfort zone as far as I'm concerned. meanwhile, I thank God for everyone with a success story and thank you for sharing it. My family was not poor but I didn't enjoy the money before my father passed away. I had been nursing ambition of having my own business since I was a teenager and even attempted to start one but got duped by a friend who then supposed to be my business partner. I had to carry loads and electrical gadgets on my head to go and sell in west African countries, while my family at home did not know. I put my self through 1 1/2 semesters in the poly (ran out of money along the way), until The Lord made way for me to travel.  I have learnt that every obstacle/rejection is a ladder to the next level for me. Right now I'm not ashamed to say I don't have a traditional four wall college degree and praise the Lord He blesses me with the highest professional certification in my field. (or I could say that I obtain my PHD on the street if you want to say that, or if there is such thing as street university, lol) I now own a company and I have people with incredible education and personality that work with me or come to me for consultation, or advice.  When you and I communicate you could hardly tell that I don't have a traditional four wall college degree. This is not to brag or boast, it's the Lord's doing and it's marvelous in my eyes. However, I strongly believe that even when one person can not afford to start a business if you properly put your portfolio together 2,3,4 even 10 or 15  people can work together and create something and with time make it big.

Part of our problem as naija people is that we always want quick ready made cash/money, added to the fact that you can hardly trust a lot of our people. We look at those people who embezzle govt's money as our icon/symbol of blessing, we credit the one that just come from no where and flash exotic cars and mansions with topmost respect, how he gets there is irrelevant in that society. Let me just stop there. Nevertheless, there are still good Naija people out there to do business and make it together with, you just have to pray for guidiance.  No one says it's that easy, if it is, every Jack and Jill would be doing it, even when you own your own business sometimes it gets tough, that doesn't mean you should throw in your towel you keep fighting until you win.

A qtn?, if they don't employ you and the govt doesn't do anything about it, what next would you do?.  Necessity is the mother of invention. Good luck guys.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:34pm On Apr 15, 2007
@Rlst84sale

well said
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by Rlst84sale(m): 9:32pm On Apr 16, 2007
@Salsera

Thanks jare, lol
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by ogs(m): 10:50am On Apr 17, 2007
[b]@ Seun,

I really resisted the urge to reply ur post on this thread, but could not hold any longer!

Not everyone can be an ENTREPRENEUR! I am cut out to be a guru in the financial world. Be the likes of Francis Atuche, Jacobs Ajekigbe, Erastus Akingbola, Jim Ovia, Vivien Shobo, Omobla Johnson, Bisi Lamikaran etc. These are GREAT ADMINISTRATORS !

To achieve this feat, u need skills ! which u ve to learn. Have u read about FRANCIS ATUCHE'S (MD BANK PHB) STORY!, about finacorp and PHB! Some of us have far larger dreams then u can ever imagine. We are employers because we want to LEARN the gimmicks of the trade we hope to venture into in future. NO MATTER HOW SMART U THINK U ARE, U r definitely not the smartest guy even on NAIRALAND.

Kudos to ur dexerity and innovativeness, but there are professionals in different fields. This might be urs, but we all ve ours too!

Seun, OBJECTIVITY of posts is the KEY WORD here. U moderate nairaland, so i did not expect such an UTTERANCE from u.

Anyway, see u at the top![/b]
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by Seun(m): 10:52am On Apr 17, 2007
I am cut out to be a guru in the financial world.
Many gurus are self-employed. They're known as "consultants" and they work with banks and other big companies. wink
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by ogs(m): 11:05am On Apr 17, 2007
@ Seun,

This portends who u really are- NOT A TEAM PLAYER!

Ask the "CONSULTANTS" u know if they had NEVER WORKED somewhere else to gain the skills they now use in consulting. Presently i work for a financila consulting firm. I prepare FINANCIALS for all sector of the Nigerian economy, EVEN BANKS.

U dont just jump out n start something cos u ve learnt ABC. U stay to learn the nitty gritty.

Go ask how PHILLIPS CONSULTING, ALLIANCE CONSULTING, IRIS CONSULTING, PWC NIGERIA, KPMG, AGUSTO & CO. LIMITED all started.

The founders all gave time to learning. Let me tell u about BOGE AGUSTO: He spent 15 WHOLE YEARS learning in PWC NIGERIA, n resigned as a senior partner, He was VP CITIBANK NIGERIA, He set up his firm in 1992 and since 2003, he has been the DG of Nigeria's BUDGET OFFICE.

Guy, the FINANCIAL WORLD is not like IT o, u need to sit down n learn.

Learn to choose ur words CAREFULLY! It is a very small world u know.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by Seun(m): 8:07pm On Apr 17, 2007
@ Seun,

This portends who u really are- NOT A TEAM PLAYER!
Whether I'm a team player or not is none of your business. Let's focus on the matter at hand.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by ogs(m): 7:17am On Apr 18, 2007
@ seun,

i see no reason why i should even reply ANY of ur posts again lipsrsealed. I USED TO think highly of you until now.

Someone talked about u been arrogant, but i almost debunked it. Is it not so obvious NOW?

There is more to life than to be the ALMIGHTY MODERATOR OF NAIRALAND. I REMEMBER read one of ur post stating u dont really like doing what u r doing now. So would you advice NAIRALANDERS to go ahead to be ENTREPRENEURS in what they will eventually not enjoy doing? Hmmmmmmmmmm,

It takes CONSISTENCY to be a SUCCESS!

ALL THE BEST ! ! !
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by Seun(m): 7:40am On Apr 18, 2007
I think we should focus on the topic at hand. You cannot win an argument by abusing your opponent. wink
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by uchetobi(f): 7:42am On Apr 18, 2007
lets get back to the issue at ground
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by ogs(m): 8:09am On Apr 18, 2007
Seun:

I think we should focus on the topic at hand. You cannot win an argument by abusing your opponent. wink

Really dont have an OPPONENT out here!
Seun:

Whether I'm a team player or not is none of your business.

Does this sound like u were PRAISING ME?!

@ TOPIC,

Great topic u ve here! at least 45% of nigerian graduates today ve FALSIFIED their age in othe to get a job. Even the very intelligent ones ve no choice.

I suggest there should be a legislation to curb this. Age is basically no barrier for performance. Pegging Age at an average of 26 years might not be an advantage to ALL!
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by kellyhand1: 5:54pm On Mar 15, 2009
This age barrier issue is really a serious problem,

Very very annoying.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:53pm On Mar 15, 2009
@ogs
I don't really get the point of your rants at seun. The guy is just sharing the benefits of his experience of starting and running a business. In fact considering the state of Nigeria's economy most graduates should be thinking of forming their own niche businesses.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by Obodo999(m): 9:39pm On Mar 16, 2009
I am nearly the age of 40 and live in London. I am thinking of taking my life savings of £100,000 to Nigeria I intend to retire and live off the interest for the rest of my life. Do any member has any idea what investment will give me a decent monthly income. By the way, l have completed my house in Lagos, I have 3 children and was a Teacher by profession.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Female Edo Mechanic: "Any quick means of making money is not on my mind" / Which Is The Best Professional Certification Program For Arts Related Courses / How Do People Survive After Losing Their Jobs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.