Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,887 members, 7,828,144 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria (13224 Views)

Nigerian Becomes First Black Woman To Graduate With First Class Degree From UK! / Hepatitis And Company Employment In Nigeria / 5 Worst Degrees With Lowest potential For Employment In nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by IQ1(m): 8:40pm On Mar 18, 2009
I totally agree with seun, the problem our people have is FEAR, and this does not exist.I have worked before and today i enjoy the comfort of running my own business. I seriously think enterpreneural skills should be thought in our school this will help alot of graduate not only to graduate as job seekers but also as enterpreneurs.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 11:41pm On Mar 18, 2009
The topic is actually kind of silly, really.
Age, education and even class of education is always a sieve applied in the job market anywhere in the world, not just Nigeria.
It is what it is. Employers cannot hire everybody. A job flipping burgers at the local Big Mac is not the same as a trainee position in Cap Gemini Ernest & Young.
My take is, if you want the good life, depending on what that is for you, you have to 'put out' for it. Nothing is really ever going to come to you if you don't go out and get it. For the worried old guys, try finishing school a little earlier, rather than playing away the first 4-10 post-secondary school years writing JAMB and WAEC. Unfortunately some people do finish early, with good grades, and the employers know it. A bit harsh, but then life itself is harsh.
On the guy who posted something about Cotonou, sorry man, I just had to laugh. Do they even have jobs there? I was in Ghana a while back, and Nigerian companies were obviously very dominant in their economy. That kind of got me thinking. Are we by any chance crying scarcity in the midst of plenty?

Peace.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by snazzydawn(f): 1:24am On Jun 11, 2010
smiley)
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by Superbrain(m): 9:14am On Jun 11, 2010
Very interesting topic. I agree with you (the poster) that something has to be done about the age requirements most employers place on prospective employees though it happens everywhere in the world and not just in Nigeria. The best they can do is increase the maximum age limit for graduates to 29/30, considering the loopholes in our educational system, and let that commensurate with higher positions.

@ Seun, hmmm. Let me tell you something you all fail to remember. There are different levels on entrepreneurship. A supermarket owner is an entrepreneur. The groundnut seller is an entrepreneur. The likes of Dangote and Otudeko are entrepreneurs. Bill Gates is an entrepreneur. And so is my lovely Seun. But are they all at the same level in terms of knowledge and expertise at their profession? The answer is NO! Take a look at young Billy. Almost had perfect scores in his SAT, got into Harvard, spent a lot of time at the Computer Centre in the University, dropped out in his second year because he felt being in school (not education, as this is a continuous process) was slowing down the pace of things. My people, if you want to become a don in your area of expertise, you must first be a loyal servant. Except your idea of entrepreneurship is to start a supermarket, sell groundnut or ice-cream (no pun intended), you need to know the nitty-gritty of your field. For some, it may take a few years, while for others; it can take 10-20 years of being an employee.

Back to the topic. For those that want to become gurus in their profession (on the entrepreneurial side), you had better not jump the gun. If not, you’ll end up like a prisoner subjected to death by firing squad. Get a job relevant to your area of expertise. Spend time (maybe years) learning all that concerns it while you save consciously. When you feel you’ve amassed enough knowledge, you can then test the waters. By then, finances will not be a limitation as you should have saved up enough to take off on your business.

BTW, it amazes me that most nairalanders are arrogant and proud fellows. Don’t take it personal, but me thinks it reflects the general nature of Nigerians, both young and old. There’s no wrong in admitting you’re wrong. It takes a humble man to do that. And please, let’s try not to hijack people’s threads with personal squabbles.

Nigeria, good people, great nation!
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by Obodo999(m): 12:47pm On Jun 11, 2010
Whoever dig out this old and irrelevant thread need his/her head examined. Why are Nigerians Graduates always thinking the world owe them a living. None have the sense to at least starting their own business. Selling pure water or recharge cards would be a good start. Remember, Romw is not built in a day but some foolish and lazy Nigerians want a short-cut to success.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jun 20, 2010
@obodo, u've got 2 watch ur choice of words, this is a public forum. BTW, since when did being an employee a short cut to success?. Your ignorance shines like the sun,
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by flaminhart(m): 10:24am On Jun 21, 2010
LISTEN

You can make any organization anywhere in the world break or bend their graduate employment policy just for you, if they are convinced that you can deliver.The work is to impress it upon them that you will. By showing "demonstrated competencies" This you can do by capping your degree with a globally recognized certification. A friend of mine works with PWC with a 3rd class, he is a certified PMP and business analyst amongst others.wen the management of PWC were going to hire him they discovered his 3rd class but still hired but in this case as a contract staff.they paid him the same salary,benefits, entitlements etc.Why Because he was just too good!!!
Yes you can make MTN or ZAIN or any oil company practically beg you no matter your age or class of degree if you can demonstrate competencies in a knowlege area relevant to their operations.

You can follow us on Facebook by clicking

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DexNova-Project-Management-School/293131876710

And on Twitter by clicking

http://twitter.com/dexnovapmschool
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by jydtee007: 10:43am On Jun 23, 2010
im begining 2 doubt if we are going 2 have any sincere citizen in d country soon.
why would any1 put age limit as an employment criterial in an economy that is as erratic as its power supply?
during my early days in primary sch i benefited in d free education scheme of d late 70s/ early 80s b4 it was scrapped.
this went awry that i have 2 pay thru my nose to go 2 higher institution on part-time basis.
@ d moment im running an HND programme @ age 35.
i am fortunate 2 be working with a stock broking firm but i met so many very brilliant students that are over 30 without a reasonable kind of employment. are we now saying that such pple that are struggling to get an education with d hope that afterward their standard of living will improve after graduating & getting better employment would be discriminated against? then why bother 2 waste d little funds they had on getting educated?
something is really wrong & needs 2 be corrected.
i will suggest that competence should over-rule age in employment.
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 8:13am On Jun 26, 2010
jydtee007:

im begining 2 doubt if we are going 2 have any sincere citizen in d country soon.
why would any1 put age limit as an employment criterial in an economy that is as erratic as its power supply?
during my early days in primary sch i benefited in d free education scheme of d late 70s/ early 80s b4 it was scrapped.
this went awry that i have 2 pay thru my nose to go 2 higher institution on part-time basis.
@ d moment im running an HND programme @ age 35.
i am fortunate 2 be working with a stock broking firm but i met so many very brilliant students that are over 30 without a reasonable kind of employment. are we now saying that such pple that are struggling to get an education with d hope that afterward their standard of living will improve after graduating & getting better employment would be discriminated against? then why bother 2 waste d little funds they had on getting educated?
something is really wrong & needs 2 be corrected.
i will suggest that competence should over-rule age in employment.

Sorry, mate, but university fresh graduates, especially in Nigeria, are not generally regarded as having any ready to go competence. 9 times out of 10 this is the case. That now leaves the employer with the choice of factors like age, class of degree, etc, as a yardstick to select.
From a managerial perspective, I can tell you that younger grads are a lot more pliable and have a lot more energy than graduates who are over 30.

In fact, for my own team at work, I've resolved to fill any non-manager vacancy with trainable youth corpers. I can get them for very cheap, and train them, and get them retained at entry level. The older you are, the more expensive you'll likely be, and the more difficult to train. For these guys I can get maybe up to 5 years productivity from them. If I hire a fresher over 30, I may get 1 year before complaints and disgruntlement sets in.

1 Like

Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by ortodox: 4:29pm On Jan 07, 2014
hmmmm
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by sasquareT(m): 9:57pm On Nov 24, 2015
Radiant:
why don't u people write a protest letter to the respective federal ministries other than asking Seun questions he can't answer

Point of correction nobody is asking Seun any question maybe you should read through the post again, Seun feel like to just counter the thread ne but he forget that not every one is born entreprenurer in nature like him
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by sasquareT(m): 10:04pm On Nov 24, 2015
Obodo999:
Whoever dig out this old and irrelevant thread need his/her head examined. Why are Nigerians Graduates always thinking the world owe them a living. None have the sense to at least starting their own business. Selling pure water or recharge cards would be a good start. Remember, Romw is not built in a day but some foolish and lazy Nigerians want a short-cut to success.
Pele oo mr Mumuni...mr preacher hope you are now competing with Seun or Dangote in you entrepreneur ministry. Mtchw
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by sasquareT(m): 10:10pm On Nov 24, 2015
Superbrain:
Very interesting topic. I agree with you (the poster) that something has to be done about the age requirements most employers place on prospective employees though it happens everywhere in the world and not just in Nigeria. The best they can do is increase the maximum age limit for graduates to 29/30, considering the loopholes in our educational system, and let that commensurate with higher positions.

@ Seun, hmmm. Let me tell you something you all fail to remember. There are different levels on entrepreneurship. A supermarket owner is an entrepreneur. The groundnut seller is an entrepreneur. The likes of Dangote and Otudeko are entrepreneurs. Bill Gates is an entrepreneur. And so is my lovely Seun. But are they all at the same level in terms of knowledge and expertise at their profession? The answer is NO! Take a look at young Billy. Almost had perfect scores in his SAT, got into Harvard, spent a lot of time at the Computer Centre in the University, dropped out in his second year because he felt being in school (not education, as this is a continuous process) was slowing down the pace of things. My people, if you want to become a don in your area of expertise, you must first be a loyal servant. Except your idea of entrepreneurship is to start a supermarket, sell groundnut or ice-cream (no pun intended), you need to know the nitty-gritty of your field. For some, it may take a few years, while for others; it can take 10-20 years of being an employee.

Back to the topic. For those that want to become gurus in their profession (on the entrepreneurial side), you had better not jump the gun. If not, you’ll end up like a prisoner subjected to death by firing squad. Get a job relevant to your area of expertise. Spend time (maybe years) learning all that concerns it while you save consciously. When you feel you’ve amassed enough knowledge, you can then test the waters. By then, finances will not be a limitation as you should have saved up enough to take off on your business.

BTW, it amazes me that most nairalanders are arrogant and proud fellows. Don’t take it personal, but me thinks it reflects the general nature of Nigerians, both young and old. There’s no wrong in admitting you’re wrong. It takes a humble man to do that. And please, let’s try not to hijack people’s threads with personal squabbles.

Nigeria, good people, great nation!
Tell them sir....the only reasonable post so far
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by carbony4red(m): 10:59pm On Nov 24, 2015
This is a lovely topic, why must such topic like this be denied front page...... Abeg 4God sake mods, pls do the needful. 10ks
Re: Age Barriers To Graduate Employment In Nigeria by baba11(m): 4:55am On Nov 28, 2015
I love this topic and enjoy every bits of it especially that of supebrain.

Superbrain,you're the best shocked

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Female Edo Mechanic: "Any quick means of making money is not on my mind" / Which Is The Best Professional Certification Program For Arts Related Courses / How Do People Survive After Losing Their Jobs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.