Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

Ooni Was Buried On Saturday, Not Friday – Palace Source - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ooni Was Buried On Saturday, Not Friday – Palace Source (548 Views)

"Buhari Asks BBC Not To Air Aisha Buhari's Explosive Interview On Saturday" - SR / HID Awolowo Was Buried Beside Her Husband, Chief Obafemi Awolowo In Ikene (Pics) / Fashola At The Kalakuta Museum Where Fela Kuti Was Buried (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ooni Was Buried On Saturday, Not Friday – Palace Source by etenyong(m): 2:29am On Aug 17, 2015
Contrary to the announcement earlier made by Ife Chiefs that the late Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade, Olubuse II, would be interred on Friday, it was gathered that the body was actually buried early Saturday morning. It was gathered that the remains were buried by members of the Isoro cult and nobody was allowed to witness the burial apart from the members of the cult. A source close to the palace told our correspondent on Saturday that representatives of the 201 deities worshipped in Ife performed different rites on the remains of the late monarch before he was buried. The burial, he said, was done amidst chanting of dirges by members of the Isoro cult to which the Oba was said to belong while he was alive. He said, “He (Oba Sijuwade’s remains) was brought in around 5am on Saturday morning. I cannot say where he was brought in from. But he was brought inside the palace through the small gate at the back of the palace. “Nobody was allowed to see him. I did not see him myself because my category in the palace is below the rank of those who were allowed to see him but I know everything. My superiors still told me even the ones I did not see but I cannot disclose everything.” Another source, whose account of the burial corroborated the earlier one, said that the rites performed on the remains on the late king did not end until very early Saturday morning when he was returned to the palace and buried. He said that representatives of the deities started arriving at the palace shortly after the interdenominational service held on Friday for preparations for the last lap of burial rites which took a very long time. The source said, “Representatives of the deities started coming in to the palace at around 3:30pm and that was why we were hurrying people up yesterday. The interdenominational service hindered the early commencement of the rites and I think that was why it was so long and ended this morning (Saturday). “It was after the rites were completed that he was buried. No member of his family was allowed to witness the burial. It was not their business. “They had the opportunity of seeing his corpse in London because he died there but since he was brought back, nobody, except members of the Isoro, was allowed to see him.” Meanwhile, dignitaries have continued to commiserate with the family of the late monarch and the entire Ife people. Some of the dignitaries included the lawmaker representing Ilesa-East/Ilesa West/Atakumosa East/Atakumosa West Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, Mr. Ajibola Famurewa, and former Secretary to the Osun State Government, Alhaji Fatai Akinbade. The legislator described the late Ooni as a classic traditional ruler whose status and candour added so much value to Yoruba prestige and earned more respect for Osun State. He said, “Oba Sijuwade’s departure is a colossal loss to Nigeria because of his traditional, economic and social contributions in promoting the Yoruba race. These will no longer exist. “On behalf of the people of my constituency, I commiserate with Oba Sijuwade’s family, the people of Ile-Ife, Governor Rauf Aregbesola and the entire people of the state at large over the demise of the frontline traditional ruler, the Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade, Olubuse II. “Words could not express our grief over the demise of the monarch of our cherished cradle of Yoruba race, Ile-Ife, and we could not over emphasise his humane character, service to humanity and contribution to the promotion of Yoruba race and Nigeria’s development.” www.punchng.com/news/ooni-was-buried-on-saturday-not-friday-palace-source/
Re: Ooni Was Buried On Saturday, Not Friday – Palace Source by alex81(m): 2:35am On Aug 17, 2015
Nt my bizness. next
Re: Ooni Was Buried On Saturday, Not Friday – Palace Source by Welrez(m): 2:39am On Aug 17, 2015
Why mingle such a cultic business with an interdenominational service? I can't believe that education sophistication could not wipe off these devilish and barbaric burial rites for a corpse. I pity the number of heads sacrificed!
Re: Ooni Was Buried On Saturday, Not Friday – Palace Source by donholy28(m): 3:12am On Aug 17, 2015
Nawah o...dix Ooni burial don dey become big case o...so many contradictory issues on it
Re: Ooni Was Buried On Saturday, Not Friday – Palace Source by hyfr(m): 3:21am On Aug 17, 2015
All these rites performed by his cult and other deities he belonged to,I wonder, a man that's already in the great beyond. Their custom is very bad,no family member saw his corpse,who can tell what those evil men did with his body. The tradition is very bad I must say.
Re: Ooni Was Buried On Saturday, Not Friday – Palace Source by hyfr(m): 3:31am On Aug 17, 2015
Although i don't know this man, with all I've read about his burial, the sacrifices,rites and ceremonies performed because of his burial,I think the man is the devil himself. You'd still see some frauds in the name of pastors that will go and pray for his soul to rest in peace. I only pray for his family members to find light because the man has gone aboard in evil. watch out for his children in the next 10 to 15 yrs they will be living from hand to mouth if they follow his footstep
Re: Ooni Was Buried On Saturday, Not Friday – Palace Source by ademoladeji(m): 5:42am On Aug 17, 2015
201 deity Representatives in Ife alone while we have 774 members of house of representative in Nigeria!

Hmmm! I wouldn't wanna be judgemental because I'm not God. May God rests his soul in peace and forgive his wrongdoings.
Re: Ooni Was Buried On Saturday, Not Friday – Palace Source by handie(m): 5:49am On Aug 17, 2015
Was there anything left to be buried?

(1) (Reply)

Why I’m Scared Of Wike’s Probe—amaechi / See List Of Top 100 Companies To Work For In Nigeria / Beyond The Vacancy At INEC By Maryam Uwais

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.