Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,048 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... (30544 Views)

Avoidable Things Couples Do Which Lead To Divorce / 8 avoidable excuses people use as reasons for divorce. / Why Most Marriages Never Exceed 10years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by mrcasanova1(m): 6:40am On Aug 17, 2015
There is a rapid increase in divorce cases in the world today.

Our darling nation, Nigeria is not left out of this trend.

So why do most marriages fail? Why do people go to the altar and after solemnly exchanging those vows, want out within the next couple of years?

In this write-up, I am going to give a list of 10 good reasons why I think a number of marriages crash. Enjoy them... and more importantly, learn from them whether you are married yet or not.

NOTE: There are numerous reasons why a marriage may fail.

Here are the top ten most common ones.

1. Selfishness: If you consistently put your wants and needs before those of your loved one, they may start to feel unwanted and unloved.

When there are too many needs that are neglected, your unloved spouse will end up feeling ignored and used. The most destructive forms of selfishness includes jealously, control, and manipulation.

But in less destructive forms, it consists of lack of respect and consideration.

And sad as it sounds, most Nigerian men are guilty of being jealous, control-freaks and over possessive. The women are not left out too, but it's more rampant among the male folk.

This is a ultimate marriage killer.

2. Disrespect in a marriage: All good marriages need acceptance, admiration, appreciation and emotional safety.

As you discover your different opinions and your differences as people, your anger and frustration can escalate to impatience, labeling, criticism, or simply hurting their feelings. Changing a spouse’s feelings by ridicule and brainwashing is disrespectful and is so unneeded. When you are constantly feeling “attacked” by your partner, it is often hard to continue loving them.

3. Dishonesty: Trust and respect is the basis of love. Lies and disloyalty destroys the trust in any relationship. Marriage is a partnership between two people who love each other. Each have to work just as hard as the other to ensure that there is trust. So ladies, stop screaming "My husby doesn't trust me; it kills me". You now know that to earn his trust, you need to work for it.

4. Bad habits and addictions: Addictions that are strong enough to be put ahead of your partner will doom a marriage to failure.

Anger, betrayal, hurt, and pain follow the wake of the addiction and can easily hurt the marriage.

Aldo, there are other forms of addiction that annoys your spouse. Imagine a man self-servicing all the time in presence of his wife. We had many complaints like this, even on Nairaland here.

Getting help with the addiction is key to keeping your marriage from falling apart.

5. Communication: When a marriage consists too much of blame, conflict, and verbal attacks, you start to feel as though you’re living with your enemy, not your best friend.

Marriage has to be a safe haven, not a place that you are afraid of.

No one can ever always be right. When you avoid a conflict, you only make it worse by not talking about it with each other.

The emotional connection is also then lost when they don’t share their opinions and don’t try to fix the problem.

6. Leading Separate Lives: When couples don’t spend enough time together, the relationship suffers.

When you begin to live independently, you lose the emotional connection and the joy a couple should have because of never being together.

Time needs to be put aside for each other for conversation and for fun.

Without these things, it’s easy to lose connection with your significant other.

7. Lack of affection: When there isn’t affection in relationships, such as kind words and caring
gestures, problems arise.

Without such things, your love for one another can feel hollow and unfulfilled.

I hear my Naija sisters chant all the time "Nigerian men are not romantic". Haba sister, being romantic is not for us alone. When last did you show your man how much you love him? Now you see that you are guilty too. wink

8. Lack of emotional intimacy: When one doesn’t share their feelings and goals, it leads to loneliness and sadness. The feeling of friendship comes from sharing such things and when these things become unshared, you lose that friendship with your spouse.

9. Angry outbursts and rages: Anger can create more anger and withdrawal, which both leads to communication issues. However, anger can also be purposeful and can help to solve problem.

10. Poor boundaries: In a marriage, you shouldn't go looking for other intimate relationships with people of the opposite sex. It will only create trust issues and possible retaliation from your spouse because of the hurt they may feel.

Once you lose the love, connection, and trust with a significant other, why would you still be with them?

A marriage is built on these three things, and once you lose them, the only thing you now have is lost communication between the two of you and a possible new enemy based on things that may have been said in a heated argument.

So let's learn to avoid these marriage killers and implement the things we need to implement for a better and conducive homes.

You can add yours. grin

45 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by Bilabong(m): 6:41am On Aug 17, 2015
Booked
Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by christinie(f): 6:42am On Aug 17, 2015
God help us.

3 Likes

Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by mrcasanova1(m): 6:48am On Aug 17, 2015
Bilabong:
Booked
On a monday morning? wink

1 Like

Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by mrcasanova1(m): 6:50am On Aug 17, 2015
christinie:
God help us.
He will, if you ask him to.

You equally have to play your part.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by boboLIL(m): 6:55am On Aug 17, 2015
11.... Committing adultery
Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by Bilabong(m): 7:01am On Aug 17, 2015
mrcasanova1:
On a monday morning? wink
Yeah. Call that "official booking"

2 Likes

Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by mrcasanova1(m): 7:04am On Aug 17, 2015
boboLIL:
11.... Committing adultery
In most cases, committing adultery doesn't come into the picture until a number of the listed things have happened.

Then the Love, Emotional connection and Trust is lost... And then the spouse(s) begin to look ''outside''.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by MegMich(m): 7:04am On Aug 17, 2015
All these thread on marriage sef! Over-flogged! Did any of the partners change so quickly? You saw all these during courtship and still went ahead with the marriage for whatever reason.

Be wise!
You were happy b4 marriage don't ever throw that away because everybody is getting married.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by mrcasanova1(m): 7:15am On Aug 17, 2015
MegMich:
[b]All these thread on marriage sef! Over-flogged! Did any of the partners change so quickly? You saw all these during courtship and still went ahead with the marriage for whatever reason[\b].

Be wise!
You were happy b4 marriage don't ever throw that away because everybody is getting married.
@ the bolded... I fail to get your point.

''You saw all these during courtship...'' you are so wrong! 95% of the time, people do not manifest the wrong side of their character during courtship.

Please read my op again. I am not sure you fully understand what I wrote.

3 Likes

Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by adewaletb3(m): 7:20am On Aug 17, 2015
I didn't know you are a marriage counselor bro.
Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by mrcasanova1(m): 7:40am On Aug 17, 2015
adewaletb3:
I didn't know you are a marriage counselor bro.
Lol. Have you met me b4?
Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by jossy26: 9:09am On Aug 17, 2015
hmmm, takes two to tangle, both parties are responsible for whatever may happen in their marriage

1 Like

Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by KHAYGOLD(m): 9:17am On Aug 17, 2015
Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by j4sure(m): 9:18am On Aug 17, 2015
noted
Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by tolustx(m): 9:18am On Aug 17, 2015
I'm here to learn. But...

...One other important reason is The personal psychology of Marriage. Some people don't see marriage as a "for better or worse" union. It is in marriage that some people wanna test compatibility or incompatibility. They don't see divorce as a big deal so it is easy for them to just divorce. This is not so common here in Nigeria but such cases are on d rise this days.
It is more common in developed nations. For example, I checked a prominent actor's profile on on wikipedia and d page has it that he has married four wives at different time and he's presently not with any of them. It is sad.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by omogidi234(m): 9:18am On Aug 17, 2015
Thanks OP. On point.
Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by ammyluv2002(f): 9:19am On Aug 17, 2015
Good points
Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by ammyluv2002(f): 9:19am On Aug 17, 2015
Good points
Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by Nobody: 9:19am On Aug 17, 2015
ok
Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by Nobody: 9:19am On Aug 17, 2015
On point.
Make people aware of what you do.
Advertise your business,events,deals
@
http://www.elosonservices.com

Read educating articles,News and commentaries on nation building.
Only on our site.

"A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work." —Colin Powell.
coming back
Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by Nobody: 9:20am On Aug 17, 2015
Same old story how many times are we gonna talk about this trash?

1 Like

Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by Nobody: 9:20am On Aug 17, 2015
ok
Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by jamesbanjo(m): 9:20am On Aug 17, 2015
Hmmnn
Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by coldsummer: 9:21am On Aug 17, 2015
ok nice
Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by laurel03(m): 9:21am On Aug 17, 2015
Serious if not for Africa culture better to stay single

2 Likes

Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by mrpackager(m): 9:21am On Aug 17, 2015
cool cool
Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by Opinedecandid(m): 9:21am On Aug 17, 2015
And the eleventh is:

ABSENCE OF GOD IN THE MARRIAGE

And maybe, this should be number one.

Again, even if other opposites to the op's ten are absent, provided this one is present, the marriage is a huge success.
For except
'The Lord builds a house,
they labour in vain that build it'

I'm talking from the standpoint of encounter and experience.
I have been married for five years now.
That qualifies me to have at least a FSLC in Marriage.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by SWAGGAVILLAGE(m): 9:21am On Aug 17, 2015
Re: Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... by jingh(f): 9:22am On Aug 17, 2015
pls add Money.

statistically speaking Money is the most causes of marriage soucantas

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Skin Rashes; Nurse Told Me 2 Use Visita Plus As Body Cream For My 3wks Old Baby / Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? / If Your Husband Asks You To Dress More Sexily At Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.