Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice (28518 Views)

What Are The Advantages Of B.tech Over B.sc In Civil Service? / Msc(finance) Vs Msc(accounting). Please Advise. / Bsc Economics Or Accounting,which Is More Recognised In The Labour Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by Linzo(m): 6:10pm On Aug 17, 2015
Please friends and good people of nairaland help me out to make a right choice am in a cross road with my career, i have HND in banking and finance with upper credit, am i applied for direct entry in a federal university and am giving the option to choose between B.sc ECONOMICS and ACCOUNTANCY, please your matured advice is needed on the one to go for. Do give reasons for your choice

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by idolda: 6:14pm On Aug 17, 2015
Economics cos they are highly sought after than accountants

67 Likes 6 Shares

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by shogz89: 6:43pm On Aug 17, 2015
If you are to go into accounting just go and write Ican straight, professional course is what Nigeria requires now,, both ecc and acc have equal opportunities

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by Linzo(m): 7:30pm On Aug 17, 2015
idolda:

Ok, thanks but i will appreciate if you can substanciate a litle more

2 Likes

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by Linzo(m): 7:34pm On Aug 17, 2015
shogz89:
If you are to go into accounting just go and write Ican straight, professional course is what Nigeria requires now,, both ecc and acc have equal opportunities

I know but outside professional cert which one will you suggest for been sought most after graduation with B.sc alone
Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by shogz89: 7:53pm On Aug 17, 2015
Linzo:

I know but outside professional cert which one will you suggest for been sought most after graduation with B.sc alone
both have equal opportunities

1 Like 1 Share

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by Linzo(m): 8:04pm On Aug 17, 2015
shogz89:
both have equal opportunities
Thanks for your contribution
Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by Nobody: 10:33pm On Aug 17, 2015
idolda:
Are you kidding? why do you think most economics graduate sought after ICAN? marketability.

@OP, both courses are good, but the decision to choose one lies solely in your hands.

Economics has to do with studying the macro and micro aspect of the society at large and it involves a fair amount of calculation, graphs and curves.

Accounting involves recording, classifying and interpreting financial datas of organisations to aid the decision making of numerous users. accounting largely involves calculation.

Note: economist fits into most areas an accountant is required, through acquiring accounting professional certificates e.g ACA(ICAN), ACCA, CIMA etc.

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by scoobs: 10:42pm On Aug 17, 2015
Pls combine both a chemistry graduate can easily become an accountant..Bsc Economics+ICAN/ACCA would be preferred for a managerial role...unlike you doing all accounting no diversity...my ACCA lecturer studied medical physiology and he is still an accountant. I studied economics too Being knowledgeable in Economics and Accounting is surely an asset.

17 Likes

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by Linzo(m): 4:15pm On Aug 18, 2015
scoobs:
Pls combine both a chemistry graduate can easily become an accountant..Bsc Economics+ICAN/ACCA would be preferred for a managerial role...unlike you doing all accounting no diversity...my ACCA lecturer studied medical physiology and he is still an accountant. I studied economics too Being knowledgeable in Economics and Accounting is surely an asset.
SO do you suggest Economics for me and them ICAN or ACCA?

19 Likes

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by Linzo(m): 4:18pm On Aug 18, 2015
Thavybe:
Are you kidding? why do you think most economics graduate sought after ICAN? marketability.

@OP, both courses are good, but the decision to choose one lies solely in your hands.

Economics has to do with studying the macro and micro aspect of the society at large and it involves a fair amount of calculation, graphs and curves.

Accounting involves recording, classifying and interpreting financial datas of organisations to aid the decision making of numerous users. accounting largely involves calculation.

Note: economist fits into most areas an accountant is required, through acquiring accounting professional certificates e.g ACA(ICAN), ACCA, CIMA etc.

So in essence a degree in Economics without accounting professional certificate is not worth it?

5 Likes

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 18, 2015
Linzo:

So in essence a degree in Economics without accounting professional certificate is not worth it?
No, that is not what i meant.

A degree in economics plus accounting professional certificates is more marketable, it gives you the opportunity to dive into numerous accting fields such as, Tax, audit, cost acct, budget etc.

Studying accounting in major gives you a deeper theoretical knowledge of the above listed accounting fields.

NB: Both courses are sought-after in the labour market. (In my opinion they have equal opportunities)

If i may ask, which of the 2 courses do you have flare for the most? because in reality, students perform better in fields they like.

13 Likes

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by scoobs: 5:28pm On Aug 18, 2015
Linzo:

SO do you suggest Economics for me and them ICAN or ACCA?
Yes perfect Economics isn't hard..an Employer would be bored with your CV if you have Bsc Accounting plus ICAN/ACCA, that would mean all you know is accounting. Unlike you having Econs + ACCA. Ur choice.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by Linzo(m): 8:37pm On Aug 18, 2015
Thavybe:
No, that is not what i meant.

A degree in economics plus accounting professional certificates is more marketable, it gives you the opportunity to dive into numerous accting fields such as, Tax, audit, cost acct, budget etc.

Studying accounting in major gives you a deeper theoretical knowledge of the above listed accounting fields.

NB: Both courses are sought-after in the labour market. (In my opinion they have equal opportunities)

If i may ask, which of the 2 courses do you have flare for the most? because in reality, students perform better in fields they like.
I have flare for Economics most than accounting even in my HND days in Banking and finance, i top my class in all the economics courses we offered from PRINCIPLES OF ECONS to PUBLIC FIN, MANAGERIAL ECONOMICS, MONETARY ECONOMICS etc. Thank you alot you have really given me a good insight in both courses. God bless

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by Linzo(m): 8:39pm On Aug 18, 2015
scoobs:
Yes perfect Economics isn't hard..an Employer would be bored with your CV if you have Bsc Accounting plus ICAN/ACCA, that would mean all you know is accounting. Unlike you having Econs + ACCA. Ur choice.

Thank you very much i will take Economics and work on pursuing a certificate in ACCA or ICAN

5 Likes

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by Mobebi(m): 11:17pm On Aug 18, 2015
@Op,

I can understand your situation. My elder brother also faced this same situation of not knowing which to choose about 12years ago. However, my uncle who is an accountant was around then, and he advised him to go for Accounting. I can't remember the entire thing he told my brother but I heard something like accounting is ''whole and encompassing''...

My elder brother decided to take his advise and he went for accounting.

Today he is always telling my uncle ''You are the best in the whole wide world''...
But that was for my elder brother.

in your case, GO FOR ECONOMICS cos you are good at it.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by waa01: 4:35pm On Jul 07, 2021
Please in addition to what he's seeking,help me out also msc monetary economics and accounting which one is more important in the present society?

1 Like

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by SmartPolician: 10:04pm On Jul 07, 2021
Accounting, please.
Afterward, do your ICAN and Peachtree.
You will be on fire!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by The5DME(m): 10:04pm On Jul 07, 2021
Go for computer science.

4 Likes

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by CelestineNelson: 10:04pm On Jul 07, 2021
Economics! Businesses are collapsing, Prices of Goods are services are shooting very high...the world needs a solution. You can attest to this...Elders in nairaland hope I have spoken your mind?

6 Likes

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by chukwuibuipob: 10:05pm On Jul 07, 2021
cool
Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by xalex77c: 10:05pm On Jul 07, 2021
Accounting, it's among the top professions with the most jobs in Nigeria, every organization needs an accountant but not all organisation need economists, though you could still work as an accountant with a degree in Economics but still, accounting is better

Second reason to choose accounting.... Economics GRAPHS grin grin

8 Likes

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by jaytii(f): 10:05pm On Jul 07, 2021
ICAN over the two.

Forget BSc

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by FreeStuffsNG: 10:05pm On Jul 07, 2021
In my opinion, Economics is better . You don't need to study Accounting to become a Chartered Accountant or get CPA,ACCA etc and studying Accounting in the university does not make you a professional accountant yet, you are regarded as Accounting graduate not Accountant in the real professional sense.

However, studying Accounting is more prestigious because of the greater competition for securing admission placement in the course in universities and you have more chances to get a job than an Economics graduate .

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jul 07, 2021
2015 thread....I sure say OP go dey plan for NySC now

abi una want make the guy repeat BSc

6 Likes

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by DonroxyII: 10:06pm On Jul 07, 2021
I'm a pure Accountant(B.sc, M.sc, One paper to Chartered) but I will forever Cherish Economics .... Next level is Business Economics for me ....

Go for B.sc Economics and start writing your ICAN immediately then your Economics skills will help buttress your accounting skills in providing Business insights and combine both knowledge will help you to be well grounded in economic indices and interrelationships (Micro and Macro) and Business view (Accounting and Management) .......

You will be a very good business manager with the knowledge of the two discipline and when you speak ... Other professional will hardly countered you .... Because you are an authority in Business world that's if you know your skillset ooo ...

If you don't want to do ICAN or you are very concerned about the Market .... Pls Don't do B.sc Economics alone without 2'1 you won't go far ....

B.sc Economics job market is scarce because Accountant is needed in most if not all organisations but Economist are not needed in all organisations...

Accounting has better market prospects than Economics ...

Pls go for B.sc Accounting jeje .... Accounting has better market than Economics ... I repeat!
The only way you can be relevant as pure economics is if you top it up with Msc and PhD in Economics if not ... OYO ooo ... of course long leg can do anything !!

Also with B.sc Accounting.... You are not far from Treasury (Money) .... Accountant are not far from Money cheesy ...

Economists talk too much and they can even be arguing within their own brain ...
Classical vs Neoclassical vs Keynesian ...

In Accounting, we only have IAS/IFRS/IPSAS to abide by and once you didn't violate any of the principles ... Shikom !!

19 Likes

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by mrrandomguy: 10:06pm On Jul 07, 2021
Option 1
1.Go for BSc Economics, since you already have HND in Banking and Finance.
2. Write and pass the CFA exam (if you have money) Or sit for the useless ICAN where you will be told to learn a craft/trade during your induction.
3. Prepare to study Economics up to PhD level (if you fail number 2)

Option 2
1. Go for BSc Accounting.
2. Write and pass ACCA or CFA (if you have the money)
3. Go for MBA.

*Note*
BSc Economics alone without additional qualifications in Nigeria is useless.
YOU WILL SEE THAT MOST PEOPLE TELLING YOU TO DO BSC IN ECONOMICS ARE ALSO SAYING YOU SHOULD WRITE ICAN. WHY WASTE 4 YEARS STUDYING A COURSE THAT WILL BE USLESS TO YOU.

-----------------------
Save this on a word file and print it out.

20 Likes

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by Rubbiish(m): 10:06pm On Jul 07, 2021
idolda:
Highly sought?
For Nigeria? Hmm

1 Like

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by iamehmakute(m): 10:06pm On Jul 07, 2021
My brother go for economics, kolanut and bittercola no mate. No ask me who senior

Continue chewing my efiat

1 Like

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by doggedfighter(f): 10:06pm On Jul 07, 2021
Economics will stand you apart.

2 Likes

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by ofiko123(m): 10:07pm On Jul 07, 2021
Get a job..
Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by Xscape047: 10:07pm On Jul 07, 2021
Nasso

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC / Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? / I Am Finished! I Must Avenge My Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.