Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,068 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice (28526 Views)

What Are The Advantages Of B.tech Over B.sc In Civil Service? / Msc(finance) Vs Msc(accounting). Please Advise. / Bsc Economics Or Accounting,which Is More Recognised In The Labour Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by saajus: 9:00pm On Jul 08, 2021
Sir, I disagree a little bit. You cannot properly design great economic policies for an organization or country without understanding the present state of accounting. That is how money comes in and goes out. So, most Economists understand accounting very well. Economics is very broad. Economists are not Petroleum Engineers but can tell you how to improve your daily oil production. They are not bankers but can tell you why you are losing money. A smart economist can even handle an accountant role. As u said, Accounting is fixated. Just tell me what comes in and what goes out, don't spend on what we didn't budget for, and advise on how to maximize taxation so that you don't overpay.
DonroxyII:
Economics won't expose you to sh.it in Accounting....

Accounting is rules/Principles based ...

Economics doesn't have a rule ...

you and I may look at the same phenomenon and come out with different economic theory and we shall both be right and wrong ...

In Accounting, under the same business environment, same transaction and phenomenon... Both companies must achieve same result if not ... There is a Fraud grin because someone has flouted an IAS/IFRS !!
Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by 900warriorz: 10:19pm On Jul 08, 2021
Saintinoo:

No mind am, they thought it is the economics they did in secondary school.
Maths for economics, Applied statistics, Applied econometircs, Advanced maths for economics, Advanced Micro Analysis, even History of economic thought dey give guys problem.
The only hard course i see in Accounting is cost accounting.
...and Auditing. They don't know it is ICAN that made their course relevant.
Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by Vipro(m): 2:27pm On Jul 09, 2021
DonroxyII:
I'm a pure Accountant(B.sc, M.sc, One paper to Chartered) but I will forever Cherish Economics .... Next level is Business Economics for me ....

Go for B.sc Economics and start writing your ICAN immediately then your Economics skills will help buttress your accounting skills in providing Business insights and combine both knowledge will help you to be well grounded in economic indices and interrelationships (Micro and Macro) and Business view (Accounting and Management) .......

You will be a very good business manager with the knowledge of the two discipline and when you speak ... Other professional will hardly countered you .... Because you are an authority in Business world that's if you know your skillset ooo ...

If you don't want to do ICAN or you are very concerned about the Market .... Pls Don't do B.sc Economics alone without 2'1 you won't go far ....

B.sc Economics job market is scarce because Accountant is needed in most if not all organisations but Economist are not needed in all organisations...

Accounting has better market prospects than Economics ...

Pls go for B.sc Accounting jeje .... Accounting has better market than Economics ... I repeat!
The only way you can be relevant as pure economics is if you top it up with Msc and PhD in Economics if not ... OYO ooo ... of course long leg can do anything !!

Also with B.sc Accounting.... You are not far from Treasury (Money) .... Accountant are not far from Money cheesy ...

Economists talk too much and they can even be arguing within their own brain ...
Classical vs Neoclassical vs Keynesian ...

In Accounting, we only have IAS/IFRS/IPSAS to abide by and once you didn't violate any of the principles ... Shikom !!
Please it possible to study Accounting in university and after completion still go for Business Administration course?

Or is Business administration included in accounting course?

Please!!
Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by DonroxyII: 5:54pm On Jul 09, 2021
Vipro:
Please it possible to study Accounting in university and after completion still go for Business Administration course?

Or is Business administration included in accounting course?

Please!!
Yes, it is possible even MBA is mostly about Business Administration!

As an Accounting student, You will minor in Business Administration courses up until 300L (In my own school) but you can't be well grounded in the theoretical modules of business like the Major .....

But we Accountants are well trained in Business phenomenon as far as practically possible ...
Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by DonroxyII: 6:00pm On Jul 09, 2021
saajus:
Sir, I disagree a little bit. You cannot properly design great economic policies for an organization or country without understanding the present state of accounting. That is how money comes in and goes out. So, most Economists understand accounting very well. Economics is very broad. Economists are not Petroleum Engineers but can tell you how to improve your daily oil production. They are not bankers but can tell you why you are losing money. A smart economist can even handle an accountant role. As u said, Accounting is fixated. Just tell me what comes in and what goes out, don't spend on what we didn't budget for, and advise on how to maximize taxation so that you don't overpay.
Economist! I'm not asking you to agree now ... and I'm not arguing because everything to you is arguement....

Whatever you say bruhhhhhhh!!!
Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by Vipro(m): 6:02pm On Jul 09, 2021
DonroxyII:
Yes, it is possible even MBA is mostly about Business Administration!

As an Accounting student, You will minor in Business Administration courses up until 300L (In my own school) but you can't be well grounded in the theoretical modules of business like the Major .....

But we Accountants are well trained in Business phenomenon as far as practically possible ...
Thanks.I am an aspirant of Accounting.

Please is Accounting more relevant to Business Administration?
Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by DonroxyII: 6:24pm On Jul 09, 2021
Vipro:
Thanks.I am an aspirant of Accounting.

Please is Accounting more relevant to Business Administration?
Accounting is at the extreme Heart of Business Administration and Business Administration is critical to Accounting!!
Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by saajus: 6:44pm On Jul 09, 2021
"Everything to you is arguments". Nigerians sha. You commented on my post and I have no right to reply back. Tell me any great thing that happens in this world without argument. Research, thesis, dissertations, scientific principles, inventions are all products of arguments. The only area of arguments lagging among our youths is constructive and respectful parts. They will first abuse your parents before making their points.
DonroxyII:
Economist! I'm not asking you to agree now ... and I'm not arguing because everything to you is arguement....

Whatever you say bruhhhhhhh!!!
Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by DonroxyII: 7:39pm On Jul 09, 2021
saajus:
"Everything to you is arguments". Nigerians sha. You commented on my post and I have no right to reply back. Tell me any great thing that happens in this world without argument. Research, thesis, dissertations, scientific principles, inventions are all products of arguments. The only area of arguments lagging among our youths is constructive and respectful parts. They will first abuse your parents before making their points.
You have every right to reply .. I just don't have the energy to counter argue ....

grin
Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by patelagarwal(m): 6:59am On Jul 26, 2021
KS Academy Chartered Accountancy Course Details:

The Chartered Accountant exams that an understudy needs to provide to get the assignment of a CA are given underneath. Just when the competitor has qualified this load of tests is he/she thought about a Chartered Accountant and gets verified as something similar.

The exams of CA are:
1. CA Foundation - https://ksacademy.co.in/ksa-ca-foundation-courses.php
2. CA Intermediate - https://ksacademy.co.in/ksa-ca-intermediate-courses.php
3. CA Final - https://ksacademy.co.in/ksa-ca-final-courses.php

KS Academy - a Professional CA Coaching Institute Chennai, India and founded with the vision of Creating Quality Chartered Accountants (CA), has been a stepping stone to the success of Aspiring Student.
Re: B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice by Salientsinmi: 1:34pm On May 09, 2022

Don’t let anybody fool you, the econs is not useful if you don’t write any professional exams in another field eg. ICAN, ACCA, CFA. Don’t think your econs will get you jobs in banks ahead of those who studied Foods and Nutrition or Woodwork. Nigeria does not have sectors where to use Econs. You can’t practice on your own if you studied econs but you can practice on your own if you studied accountancy. The only problem with accountancy is that people are too many studying it and it can be discouraging if you don’t start your career well in a good company. I mean western multinational companies, not all this Saka Jelili Ltd, Hispro Hotels, or Yusdas Enterprises o. I am telling you reality. I have more than 17 years top notch work experiences across various multinational companies and I am a certified accountant.
While you are in school, please try and learn or teach yourself these skills and improve on them over time:

Microsoft Excel. ( don’t fool yourself that you are an advanced user the moment you can use Pivot table or use vlookup or xlookup o. Go and learn deeper Excel. There are free materials online.

Learn financial modeling using Excel to the best of your ability.

Learn Power BI or Tableau for data management, business reporting and analysis.

Learn PowerPoint ( I can give you a YouTube site where you can learn world class PowerPoint for free. I have materials for others too but I don’t guarantee they will be relevant by the time you graduate).

Finish your professional exams on time.

Aim high and target multinationals like GE, BAT, Nestle, Unilever, Atlascopco, P&G, GSK, Microsoft, etc. if you don’t eventually get any of those ones, you will get something closer eg PayStack, Flutterwave, Andela, Hayat Kimya etc. But if you lower your bar, you are in for a loooong thing.

All the best.

Please can you share the resources for the PowerPoint and please do you have an idea of how much Nestle pays its Graduate Trainee?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? / I Am Finished! I Must Avenge My Boss / Shell To Sack 10,000 Workers - Capital Post

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.