Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? (28551 Views)

Your Salary Is Not Enough If You Experience These Signs / Describe Your Salary With A Movie Title!!! / The Hard Truth About Your Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Nobody: 7:49am On Jan 26, 2016
I was jolted out of my years of day dreams the other day discussing with friends. They were talking enviously about someone who landed a job where he receives N500,000 monthly. Huge, isn't it? But, as soon as I heard them, a question occurred to me and I asked: "In a year, how much will that person receive?" Six million naira! "How poor it is when you compare it with most average entrepreneurs who earn several millions in bulk severally over the course of a year!" I said. I continued: "This is really an eye opener. Even if that person receives 1,000,000NGN/month, that's only 12,000,000 in a year and it's not in bulk, and yet everyone in the family and in town expects so much from him... when a 24-year-old undergraduate made 91,000,000 NGN through MLM in 2015 alone ... I mean in bulk without being bullied around in office politics and all that". My thought process still continued after I left that discussion and so I decided to share it here.

Can earning a salary really make you rich and happy? The example given above is of people receiving some of the most 'handsome' pay packs in town and how many are they even? On the Zero Sickness Nigeria Campaign website, you will find a page entitled "poverty too is a sickness" which shows how easily even uneducated people earn 10,000,000 NGN in bulk in just a year doing almost nothing except that they invested.

From the above you'd think I do not approve of salaried jobs. I even believe you can be rich and very rich with your salary only if you invest it intelligently. The best investment is not always the one that takes you most money. It is the one with the highest ROI. To get this, do a great deal of background checks but just enough to not let analysis paralysis stop you. For example, the example of uneducated people said to be earning 10,000,000 NGN in bulk in just a year talks of an investment of Thirty-six thousand naira (N36,000) only when someone elsewhere is putting in Twenty-two million naira (22,000,000 NGN) in a property he would sell for 30,000,000 in three years.

My point is this: you can become rich with your salary only by investing it well - not by saving it away. And the best investment is not always the flashiest. Oprah Winfrey made her money by investing in "controversial self help ideas" according to Wikipedia.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by kossyablaze(m): 8:14am On Jan 26, 2016
Hell No

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Nobody: 8:22am On Jan 26, 2016
kossyablaze:
Hell No

What meanest thou? Check here and see: http://www.zerosickness.com.ng/p/become-distributor.html

2 Likes

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by asalimpo(m): 11:02am On Feb 14, 2016
Hell yes.
If you have income exceeding your expenses you are rich. That's all that matters.
While N500k may be peanuts to you, for som ppl earning N15k, that's a lotta money.
Some ppl earn N50k and support a family on that , including paying rent. Drivers in some places earn N20-30k. How dyu expect such to react to a N500k salary!
Sombody can live on N1m and save N5m. Do that for 10yrs and you've got N50m. Do that for 30 and you've got N150m.
With the first 50m, he can build a house or two or three. With that alone he's set.
Can you get rich on N500k? It depends on you.
As for the N190m example you cited, they're fluke cases. Outliers.
Not typical.

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Feb 14, 2016
asalimpo:
Hell yes.
If you have income exceeding your expenses you are rich. That's all that matters.
While N500k may be peanuts to you, for som ppl earning N15k, that's a lotta money.
Some ppl earn N50k and support a family on that , including paying rent. Drivers in some places earn N20-30k. How dyu expect such to react to a N500k salary!
Sombody can live on N1m and save N5m. Do that for 10yrs and you've got N50m. Do that for 30 and you've got N150m.
With the first 50m, he can build a house or two or three. With that alone he's set.
Can you get rich on N500k? It depends on you.
As for the N190m example you cited, they're fluke cases.
Outliers.
Not typical.
N190m? There's no N190m cited.

1 Like

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by asalimpo(m): 6:43pm On Feb 14, 2016
Freelanswer:

N190m? There's no N190m cited.
correction: 91m
oprah, in some circles, is cited as an illuminati front. If so, then her wealth isnt a fair example.
Think of it hard though, a billion dollars aint no piece of cake, she came outta the blue and suddenly rose to that hieght.

1 Like

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by LeksideOLM(m): 7:18pm On Feb 14, 2016
I heard this from a very rich man...

He said" your salary can never make you rich, it can only sustain you.is only what you invest with your salary that will be be left for you"...

You cannot be earning 500k per month nd be living a 50k salary earner lifestyle...
Or will a 500k earner will still be sitting on the street canteen to eat? Or neglect the latest designer in town? Never....

The more you earn or have, the more you spend...

#Myopinion#
The more you

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by asalimpo(m): 8:08pm On Feb 14, 2016
The answer is, "it depends". They're people who could become rich off that amount by carefully controlling their spending.
(Read "The millionaire next door").
They're others who would easily blow thru any amount you give them,in the name of maintaining a life style.

12 Likes

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Tdivas: 10:26am On Feb 15, 2016
Well your salary alone can't make you rich, so you need to device extra ways of making money. You can either invest and wait for your money to start working for you. The bitter true is you need to work hard and smart. There are several ways to make extra income you just need to figure it out. If you are there wondering how to start, you can inbox me for more details. Tegababy2002@yahoo.ca

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Mich43l(m): 1:55pm On Feb 15, 2016
Lets not confuse wealth with riches. And am I just the only one who noticed this, but wealthy people did not actually set out to make money but to solve a problem they noticed in the society.

You talk of the Hewlett and Packards, Our own Dangote, Bill Gates and more. Yes your salary cannot make you wealthy but it can make you rich. The difference between a wealthy man, a rich man and a poor man is actually mentaality.

Once you have developed yourself as a person with many skill sets, wealth will follow you. From the movies three idiots, chase excellence and success will chase you pants down.

Lets learn to develop our skills. MOOCs are available with practically any subject from plumbing to rocket science.

http://eti.ng

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by asalimpo(m): 4:17pm On Feb 15, 2016
You can't create "wealth" as you define without some serious capital . Dangote was given N500k back in 1978 to begin cement importation business.
He said , as at then, the money could buy 100 mercedes benz cars.
So by todays value,that couldve been worth 500m-1b+.
He had also received mentorship from his relatives (who funded him). His family was already rich, so he didnt need to learn by trial n error.

Bill gate was from a rich family, mum was a board member on ibm, his primary school fees was higher than harvard tuition fees!
Attending a rich, elite school he encountered a computer machine , learnt how to program on it.
Microsoft's big break came when ibm decided to enter the p.c market and needed an o.s (operating system) for their line of machines. Gates supplied th os , made his money, and with that funding grew microsoft.
It is believed that his mum influenced the ibm deal.
Without serious funding, your vision will die on you. Vision , smarts aint enuff.

86 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by calculator123(m): 4:40pm On Feb 15, 2016
salary cannot make u rich,only thinking outside d box can

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 15, 2016
asalimpo:
You can't create "wealth" as you define without some serious capital . Dangote was given N500k back in 1978 to begin cement importation business.
He said , as at then, the money could buy 100 mercedes benz cars.
So by todays value,that couldve been worth 500m-1b+.
He had also received mentorship from his relatives (who funded him). His family was already rich, so he didnt need to learn by trial n error.

Bill gate was from a rich family, mum was a board member on ibm, his primary school fees was higher than harvard tuition fees!
Attending a rich, elite school he encountered a computer machine , learnt how to program on it.
Microsoft's big break came when ibm decided to enter the p.c market and needed an o.s (operating system) for their line of machines. Gates supplied th os , made his money, and with that funding grew microsoft.
It is believed that his mum influenced the ibm deal.
Without serious funding, your vision will die on you. Vision , smarts aint enuff.
A lot of gr8 info you've given us here. Thank you. I will only differ with you on the sentence I've re-quoted. If you were right in that, then there would never have been a case of a wealthy person from a poor background such as Moshood Abiola; Stev Jobs; Roman Abramovich, John Paul DeJoria and many more. So, please, don't discourage those of us from a humble background.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Nathe11: 7:03pm On Feb 15, 2016
g

2 Likes

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by mascot87(m): 7:04pm On Feb 15, 2016
Please house where can I get Python eye? It is urgent

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by LesbianBoy(m): 7:05pm On Feb 15, 2016
The salary I pay my staff (especially the male ones) can make them wealthy on the conditions that they don't fall mugu for one yeye nigerian girl or carry olosho lipsrsealed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by jauntty: 7:06pm On Feb 15, 2016
No....... Salary keep you a step above BROKE line

4 Likes

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Emodeee: 7:06pm On Feb 15, 2016
A
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by NobleAngell(f): 7:06pm On Feb 15, 2016
Yes it can.....if I am a senator in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by thefakestan: 7:06pm On Feb 15, 2016
Well if u make 6 figures maybe.

ThefakeStan
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by onunwa21(m): 7:06pm On Feb 15, 2016
Overtime will make u wealthy
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Timileyin008: 7:06pm On Feb 15, 2016
Ehn nah
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by martineinstein(m): 7:06pm On Feb 15, 2016
What a question!
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Feb 15, 2016
it depends, a former CEO at one of the places I worked was netting over $7,000,000 per year, and at the current exchange rate, that is circa -N-1.4billion per annum.

2 Likes

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by kennyman2000(m): 7:07pm On Feb 15, 2016
Dont think so.
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by gurunlocker: 7:08pm On Feb 15, 2016
and some people stole billions

1 Like

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by dammytosh: 7:08pm On Feb 15, 2016
Nice conclusion.

Putting your salary to a better use can make you wealthy.

If you are in the habit of spending all.

If you net 500k-1M per month for example and you can not be wealthy, even if Dansuki give you money, you will eventually wreck it.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by PresVA: 7:08pm On Feb 15, 2016
Rich is relative. .

To me anyway, I don't think one can ever be content with his/her salary... it ll never be enough. . That's why people continually strive for promotions/more salary. ..

I think what can make one content is what you make of your salary/investments. . Those investments that give you extra cash. ..

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by goodfornothing(m): 7:08pm On Feb 15, 2016
Yes, if these jobless girls stop begging for recharge card undecided

5 Likes

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by HazzanAsher: 7:09pm On Feb 15, 2016
Depends on ur definition of wealth
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by freecocoa(f): 7:09pm On Feb 15, 2016
Well, I don't think it's a yes or no thingy, It depends, different people, different lifestyles and I believe, that your lifestyle determines a lot as regards your riches.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

B.sc In Economics Or Accounting.please Advice / I Am Finished! I Must Avenge My Boss / Shell To Sack 10,000 Workers - Capital Post

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.