Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

What Hope For The Nigerian Graduates? Meet The Street Cleaner With Four Degrees. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Hope For The Nigerian Graduates? Meet The Street Cleaner With Four Degrees. (1017 Views)

Diezani Alison- Madueke Walking On The Street Of London (Photos) / President Buhari Strolling On The Street Of London (Photos) / Cattle Spotted On The Street Of Ado-Ekiti Despite Fayose's Anti-Grazing Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Hope For The Nigerian Graduates? Meet The Street Cleaner With Four Degrees. by Nobody: 12:17pm On Aug 19, 2015
Sunil Yadav, a 36-year-old man from the western Indian city of Mumbai, is a fervent believer in the power of education.

His four degrees include a master's from the prestigious Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) and he is now pursuing an MPhil - an advanced
postgraduate degree.

However, according to his official identity card, Mr Yadav is still a sammarjak, which is an Indian word for a manual scavenger.

A manual scavenger is
someone who cleans
human and animal waste from buckets or pits, and is performed by members of low-caste communities
- and mostly by Dalits,
also known as
Untouchables.

Mr Yadav, a Dalit, says he was inspired by Dalit rights campaigner BR
Ambedkar, who said that only education could bring about a change.
But change seems to have eluded him.
'What will you get out of studying?'
Mr Yadav's degrees have not brought him a promotion from his
employer, the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM).

At present he is forced to move garbage in the city during the night while studying for his degree during the day. All employees are allowed a
leave of absence to study, but Mr Yadav says his latest request was turned down.

"One of the officials told me that if he gives me a chance, he will have to give everyone a chance.
He asked me what I
would get out of
studying. The
administration treats us like slaves," Mr Yadav said.

Every course Mr Yadav sits for brings a new battle for leave to study. He was granted leave for
his masters degree only after he had protested for months.
The Mumbai municipality is believed to be India's richest local government organisation. It employs more than 28,000 conservancy workers, and about 15,000 contractual
labourers.

Manual scavenging has been banned in India since 2013 but it is rampant and activists say tens of thousands are
involved in this
demeaning work which opens them to prejudice and abuse.

Many workers who have managed to educate themselves are forced to remain scavengers because they are effectively not allowed to do anything else.

In 2014, Mr Yadav applied for the post of the Labour Welfare Officer, but was not selected on technical
grounds. "I do not
understand why they
can't promote us to jobs that we deserve," he said.
But his plight is hardly
unique.
In 2013, 11 workers from the Mumbai Municipal
Sangh (Union) filed a
petition in the Industrial Labour Court questioning
why they were not
considered for
promotions. The petition alleged that people from
other departments were given the opportunity instead. The case is still
pending.

Pramod Jadhav, 41, who also works as a sweeper with the municipality, completed his masters in political science two years ago.
"I have tried applying for higher positions, but I have no hope. In fact, as a rule employees who complete post graduation should get increments. My
senior wrote back to me saying that it is
inappropriate to give an increment to the fourth class [lower-level staff],"
he told the BBC.
"The word scavenger on my identity card and salary slip is the start of exploitation. It is casteist.
The administration is
equating us to vultures, who are nature's scavengers," he said.

Source: www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-33859315

Re: What Hope For The Nigerian Graduates? Meet The Street Cleaner With Four Degrees. by Yehman(m): 12:17pm On Aug 19, 2015
Hmm
Re: What Hope For The Nigerian Graduates? Meet The Street Cleaner With Four Degrees. by agarawu23(m): 12:18pm On Aug 19, 2015
hmmm
Re: What Hope For The Nigerian Graduates? Meet The Street Cleaner With Four Degrees. by Cutehector(m): 12:20pm On Aug 19, 2015
D witches in ur village are really sittin on ur destiny
Re: What Hope For The Nigerian Graduates? Meet The Street Cleaner With Four Degrees. by kelechi50: 12:29pm On Aug 19, 2015
And some naija bsc/hnd will be forming here
Re: What Hope For The Nigerian Graduates? Meet The Street Cleaner With Four Degrees. by SUGARBEE(f): 12:46pm On Aug 19, 2015
Cutehector:
D witches in ur village are really sittin on ur destiny

Like seriously ehn, the witches in his village are using his picture to fan themselves
Re: What Hope For The Nigerian Graduates? Meet The Street Cleaner With Four Degrees. by Nobody: 1:32pm On Aug 19, 2015
I do not subscribe to witchcraft or any form of dark powers here... We all know that these things happen...

Ishilove
IbnSultaan
barcanista
Afam4eva
OAM4J
Lalasticlala

Please let's move this to a place where those who fall into this category can see it.

The truth is, the moment we realize that this unemployment problem is not unique to Nigeria, we will modify our approach to life in general & government in particular.

The government is a factor we all agree, but Population is also another.

The education we've acquired is not wasted, but we have to stay put and never give up.

Let's swallow our pride and forget about the get-rich-quick syndrome derailing our Nigerian youths.

Before I started my MSc at U.I, I did jobs that earned me less than N25,0Oo monthly.

There is need for us to educate ourselves that Kidnapping, Insurgency, Militancy, 'Agberoism', Thuggery, Robbery, Cultism, and other social vices is not the key.

In case this doesn't hit front page, no hard feelings....

Join us at the Living Faith Church (aka Winners' Chapel) closest to you at 5:00pm this evening for our Mid-Week Communion service... God Bless You As You Come.
Re: What Hope For The Nigerian Graduates? Meet The Street Cleaner With Four Degrees. by Nobody: 1:36pm On Aug 19, 2015
India case as we all know worse pass Nigeria own in terms of corruption. so am not surprised but seriously the witches in that man's village uses his picture as foot match in their coven lolz. Haaabaaaa 4 degree, na only u badluck follow pass?
Re: What Hope For The Nigerian Graduates? Meet The Street Cleaner With Four Degrees. by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 19, 2015
Stelvin101:
India case as we all know worse pass Nigeria own in terms of corruption. so am not surprised but seriously the witches in that man's village uses his picture as foot match in their coven lolz. Haaabaaaa 4 degree, na only u badluck follow pass?
hehehehehe....
Re: What Hope For The Nigerian Graduates? Meet The Street Cleaner With Four Degrees. by Vicadonis(m): 1:41pm On Aug 19, 2015
We can't all get job in companies... Let's learn to do things for ourselves
Re: What Hope For The Nigerian Graduates? Meet The Street Cleaner With Four Degrees. by Emphany: 1:42pm On Aug 19, 2015
Buh is anyone not suprised,evn in his fanancial position he still ve money to futher more. For naija,school fee be like buying a house.
Re: What Hope For The Nigerian Graduates? Meet The Street Cleaner With Four Degrees. by Teekrayne(m): 2:15pm On Aug 19, 2015
Adonbilivit

(1) (Reply)

two Months Under Pmb, Nigerians Already Gaining Weight. / Dokpesi Heads PDP E-membership Registration Committee / List Of Northern Appointees Under GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.