Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,762 members, 7,813,530 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:30 PM

Excessive Police Brutality In Ilorin - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Excessive Police Brutality In Ilorin (778 Views)

Time To Put An End To SARS And Police Brutality In Southern Nigeria / How To Report Any Form Of Police Brutality In Nigeria (Photo) / Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Excessive Police Brutality In Ilorin by Lanspower(m): 12:14am On Aug 20, 2015
Following the news going round in Ilorin regarding clash between cult groups in which more than 16 lives have so far been lost, men of the Nigerian Police Force have capitalised on this to brutalise and extort innocent citizens at will. I am a victim of such shameful acts thus I deem it necessary to sensitise people around the city.
I was at a bar around airforce base Oloje Ilorin west Local Govt Area yesterday to relax and watch the champions league playoff between Manchester United and Club Brugge when police officers numbering about seven stormed the bar at about 7pm and placed everyone at the bar under arrest including three underaged sons of the owner of the bar. One of the policemen officer Alade by name who is a frequent customer of the bar was one of them and we were all arrested at gun point a scenario which had a close resemblance with an armed robbery attack.
We arrived at the Division G Police station around 7.30 pm and were kept behind the counters till 9pm without any form of questioning. They raided two more places including a football viewing centre arresting more than thirty people. I asked one of the police guys what our offence was and the next thing he said was that "na u be the activist abi". All the officers were so rude and very unprofessional. We were there till late night without any form of searching nor interrogation then the DPO ordered that we all got locked up. Some of us who were with our ID tried to show them but they cared not. While we were there a young man came to report a serious violence going on around okoolowo area but they refused to take any action and immediately the guy left the useless officers started saying " if u arrest people for that side nobody go come bail them" I shook my head and wondered how much injuries could have been sustained and how many lives could be lost as a result of the violence which these mofos are taking with a pinch of salt
But for the timely intervention of the owner of the bar where we were arrested who had to cough out a sum of 30,000 naira to bail the 15 of us arrested we would all have spent the night in their cell. As a matter of fact, two of the three underaged sons of the owner of the bar had been taking to the cell before the DPO could be settled though they were later set free. The other folks who were not that lucky to get bailed were all locked up and only God knows their fate now.
My worry is what is the fate of innocent citizens who have to run away from criminals and at the same time double their speed at the sight of policemen? How were they sure they had not set criminals who probably were amongst us free after receiving 30k? These same DPO would go on national dailies to claim that they had made some arrest following the cult clash with the public not knowing that they were only serving their pockets. My advice is if you are resident in Ilorin try as much as u can to stay at home and save yourself from being a victim of police brutality coz they have no life and they don't mind to ruin yours. I do hope one day the government will see a reason to save harmless people from the useless men in black. Meanwhile I pray that all the police officers who earn their daily living by making life difficult for innocent people meet their Waterloo much sooner. Thanks for your time folks.
Re: Excessive Police Brutality In Ilorin by MOORCHMOORE(m): 12:16am On Aug 20, 2015
sory
Re: Excessive Police Brutality In Ilorin by yanabasee(m): 12:19am On Aug 20, 2015
Buhari should do and create jobs for these boys! Biko... See the level of joblessness that has gulp this country sinz BuBu took over...
Naija Sha grin
Re: Excessive Police Brutality In Ilorin by nikkiking(m): 12:28am On Aug 20, 2015
I usually don't agree with any useless popo with their pot belly claims that they arrested a suspect whenever things like this occurs.

The innocents get the punishment.

The culprit goes free undecided undecided.

Naija popo with their superstition.

Survivors things!
Re: Excessive Police Brutality In Ilorin by natas22: 5:12am On Aug 20, 2015
9ja police I hail oh
Re: Excessive Police Brutality In Ilorin by moski5(m): 9:13am On Aug 20, 2015
A similar scenario played out in benin I'm sure they weren't as lucky as you guys, If you want to do smtin about it check if there's a human rights office in your state and lay a complaint You can further petition the Ig of Police if you have pictures you can write Linda Ikeji n other online media sites n also newspapers This way the right people will hear n take action

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Ikeja Police College Commissioner, Sobulor Dies In American Hospital / Another Bomb In Abuja? / VIDEO: Nigerian American Tortured To Death By Police!!! HORRIBLE!! (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.