Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,138 members, 7,842,271 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

Igbos And Lagos Economy - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos And Lagos Economy (8512 Views)

A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw / Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic / Lagos Economy Bigger Than Kenya And Cote D Ivoire, Now Oil Has Come!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by 7lives: 1:21pm On Aug 21, 2015
zendy:
[b] I want to remind people about something that will be very important in the event of the creation of Biafra. Embossed in front of every Nigerian passport (and any west-African passport) is the acronym "ECOWAS". What this is trying to tell anyone with this on their passport is that they are are entitled to travel, live and settle anywhere in the West-African sub-region without need for any sort of visa. This same sort of system applies in Europe under the "EU" and all member nation can travel at will to each other's countries with no travel restrictions. It is most likely that Biafra,a west African nation, will become a member of "ECOWAS" and any Igbo man will be able to travel and live anywhere in Nigeria without any visa. In the event that the Nigerian Government is crazy enough to pull out of ECOWAS because it wants to Igbos to go, it will also have to ask all ECOWAS citizens living in Nigeria to also go. The mass exodus of not only Igbos but Biafrans and west Africans and the repartriation of their investments will lead to the decimation of the Lagos economy. What makes Lagos s great place is not its sea-port but it's population. Take away that population and Lagos will just be a "coastal town" as it was in the 30's and 40's before the massive influx of people from other regions. Yorubas did not make Lagos what it is, Lagos is the result of the joint effort of everybody. With the Igbo population of Lagos now getting to 50% or half Lagos, take the Igbos out of Lagos and there is no Lagos. Frankly, I want my people,the Igbos, out of Lagos and back home with their investments so we can build the future Biafra. Onitsha, Nnewi or Aba can be bigger than Lagos in a few years if we do this [/b]

Stop deluding yourself Lagos is a gateway to prosperity, Lagos is like a gold mine were people go to seek fortune.
If Igbos move out today, other Nigerians and foreigners will move in. OJO NI WA A O BA ENIKAN SE OTA, ENI EJI RI L'EJI N'PA.
When the federal government moved to Abuja with all their billions it did not affect Lagos negatively, so how can Igbos moving out of Lagos cripple Lagos.
The success of Lagos does not depend on anybody but the owners of Lagos and their ability to mix freely with everybody.
And yes Aba can be bigger than Lagos provided your leaders share your dreams, but at the moment Lagos is the MAGIC WORD.
As for the ECOWAS passport i trust my people to fix the bugs in it, and why would any Igbo want to return to live anywhere in Nigeria after all Nigeria is zoo where Igbos pulled out from.

5 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by asha80(m): 1:24pm On Aug 21, 2015
phantom:
is it the north that kept aba in Its present State? Do we need the north to come together and Build independent Power plants for nnewi ,onitsha and ariaria markets? We dont need the FG to Build a 2nd Niger bridge to be honest.
you are extremely wrong on the 2nd niger bridge comment
Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by phantom(m): 1:24pm On Aug 21, 2015
7lives:

Stop deluding yourself Lagos is a gateway to prosperity, Lagos is like a gold mine were people go to seek fortune.
If Igbos move out today, other Nigerians and foreigners will move in. OJO NI WA A O BA ENIKAN SE OTA, ENI EJI RI L'EJI N'PA.
When the federal government moved to Abuja with all their billions it did not affect Lagos negatively, so how can Igbos moving out of Lagos cripple Lagos.
The success of Lagos does not depend on anybody but the owners of Lagos and their ability to mix freely with everybody.
And yes Aba can be bigger than Lagos provided your leaders share your dreams, but at the moment Lagos is the MAGIC WORD.
As for the ECOWAS passport i trust my people to fix the bugs in it, and why would any Igbo want to return to live anywhere in Nigeria after all Nigeria is zoo where Igbos pulled out from.
the question to ask is.....what makes Lagos, Lagos?

2 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by ayokellany: 1:25pm On Aug 21, 2015
zendy:

If you are hoping to get federalism in Nigeria, forget it. The northerners will never agree to it. They are hugely benefiting from the current unitary system and they will never agree to change. You can bet that they will use their numerical strenght to vote out any bill Sponsoring federalism. Federalism at the National Assembly because federalism weakens the North politically and economically because they are too dependant on the Government for survival. Another reason why the North will never allow true federalism or regionalism is because it will easier for Nigeria to break up and for Biafra to emerge.

It's baffling you forget that it was Aguiyi Ironsi that replaced federalism with a Unitary government, just the way it was an Igbo that orchestrated the first coup in Nigeria. You all need to take a moment and understand why you keep shouting blue murder after setting the tone to what in the long run would be injurious to your soul. The blame of this precarious system in Nigeria is the undoing of an Igbo and only the Igbo and not the Hausa should be solely held responsible for that.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by phantom(m): 1:25pm On Aug 21, 2015
asha80:
you are extremely wrong on the 2nd niger bridge comment

why?
Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by 9jii(m): 1:26pm On Aug 21, 2015
sunnyb0b0:

Go to Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Togo, Ghana and Benin Republic and ask them why the Igbos control commercial activities in those countries alongside the French and Lebanese.
You can only lie to your igbos not me

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by phantom(m): 1:27pm On Aug 21, 2015
ayokellany:

It's baffling you forget that it was Aguiyi Ironsi that replaced federalism with a Unitary government, just the way it was an Igbo that orchestrated the first coup in Nigeria. You all need to take a moment and understand why you keep shouting blue murder after setting the tone to what in the long run would be injurious to your soul. The blame of this precarious system in Nigeria is the undoing of an Igbo and only the Igbo and not the Hausa should be solely held responsible for that.
an igbo coup OR a coup by a group of officers from an igbo dominated army? 2 different things.

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by zendy: 1:30pm On Aug 21, 2015
obailala:
Are you aware that both Ghana and Nigeria were members of ecowas when Nigeria evicted Ghanaians in the infamous 'Ghana-must-go' saga?

With that in mind, radio biafra proponents think the best way to break away is through the very tasteless hate campaigns they are waging by insulting and inciting hate against every other Nigerian tribe.... and lets just imagine that Biafra finally succeeds through this hate campaigns, for some people to actually still think there would be a rosy diplomatic relationship with Nigeria is absurd.

At the time that Nigeria kicked Ghanaians out, the ECOWAS free movement and trade agreement had not yet been enshrined in its charter. Now, it is obligatory that at all member nations must sign up to this. This basically means that all those Ghanaians can come back and without any fear that they can be unjustly sent back. Should Biafra join ECOWAS, which is most likely, every Igbo can go anywhere in Nigeria that pleases him and with any visa. Unless Nigeria opts to get out of ECOWAS. As for the hate propaganda on Radio Biafra, frankly, if there was something similar against Igbo on another Radio station, I would agitate even more for Igbos to go as Biafra.
Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by asha80(m): 1:35pm On Aug 21, 2015
phantom:

why?
fg is solely responsible for that...that is building a bridge that connects two states.
I think those of us from the se should stop seeing that 2nd niger bridge as something that benefits us alone..even if all the se states put there money together to build it what about delta state that a substantial amt of construction would be done? Have you heard about a state govt embarking on a project on another state before?akwa ibom did the akwa ibom axis of aba ikot ekpene expressway and told ochendo iberibe to do the abia part and he refused..so why didn't akwa ibom bulldoze their way and do the abia part since that road is a critical entry to akwa ibom state?what is delta State govt is not interested in commuting to the building of the bridge what then happens? why didn't Lagos build the fourth mainland bridge?why didn't Lagos build the whole of Lagos Ibadan expressway when we all know it is important to Lagos?

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by 9jii(m): 1:35pm On Aug 21, 2015
OfoIgbo:

btw, my first choice is a restructured Nigeria. If this restructuring cannot be gotten by the end of this year, then Biafra or Lower Niger Republic will be my destination.

As for oil, Igboland is blessed with it in abundance. Go to Igbo areas of Rivers state, Delta state, Imo, Abia, Anambra my state

As for gas, my state Anambra has the largest reserve in the country, followed by Imo state.
Also it may interest you to know that Enugu and Ebonyi also have proven and untapped reserves of oil and gas grin grin

I know it may be painful for you to know, but it's God's handiwork. So we don't have to take over anyone's oil and gas reserves.
In spite of all these, I hinge my hope for a prosperous Biafra on the potentials of our human resources. Now, that's the key to Biafra's wealth
Yes for mouth you have oil,Biafra is a country and u have 90% of all d investment in 9ja.
But in reality look around you're the Wailers, parasites, marginalised people who can't return home.

You nothing more than petty traders in fake goods.
But all the true biz investment belong to the true nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by iamord(m): 1:36pm On Aug 21, 2015
sunnyb0b0:

Go to Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Togo, Ghana and Benin Republic and ask them why the Igbos control commercial activities in those countries alongside the French and Lebanese.
pls can any Ghanaian answer this dude??!

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by asha80(m): 1:37pm On Aug 21, 2015
ayokellany:

and why hasn't that system being restored ever since igbos were not in central govt?
Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by obailala(m): 1:46pm On Aug 21, 2015
zendy:

If you are hoping to get federalism in Nigeria, forget it. The northerners will never agree to it. They are hugely benefiting from the current unitary system and they will never agree to change. You can bet that they will use their numerical strenght to vote out any bill Sponsoring federalism. Federalism at the National Assembly because federalism weakens the North politically and economically because they are too dependant on the Government for survival. Another reason why the North will never allow true federalism or regionalism is because it will easier for Nigeria to break up and for Biafra to emerge.

[size=13pt]"When a people unite in a single purpose, there is absolutely nothing they cannot achieve" - Gen 11:6[/size]

It pains me that even after 45 years, my people cannot still see the big picture and have not still realised this simple fact. True federalism is absolutely possible in Nigeria but there is only one way to it; the entire SE, SS and SW must unite in this single purpose and speak with one voice and you would watch in awe as the northern hegemony will be dismantled instantly.

A case study is the 2011 and 2015 election; the entire norhtern establishment was against GEJ in 2011 but even with their population and dominance, their candidat Buhari failed woefully with a 10million votes gap. But in 2015, the north had to align with the SW and we all know the result today.

The SW, SS and SE wants true federalism but we've never thought it wise to unite in this purpose. Instead everyday you see Igbos and Yorubas fighting senselessly while our real adversaries who have actually kept the nation backward smile away at our collective foolishness. I can assure you that even the north central minorities would be very happy to align with the south if the south puts up a good united fight for federalism. But after many years of praying and wishing for this unity in purpose, the recent development we have is the SE trying to hoodwink the SS to breakaway from Nigeria even whilst we strangely accuse and insult the SW of being the problem. undecided

Bro, please don't ever tell me the north is the reason why true federalism cannot be achieved, rather it is the foolishness of the south to unite in one goal that has kept us in this mess.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by OPCNAIRALAND: 1:47pm On Aug 21, 2015
Ibos are scared of vacating Lagos and keep opening topics to ask and get public opinion about the consequence of their absence from Lagos.

Its like a girfriend threatening to separate ways but worried her boyfriend will starve because no one will be there to cook for him. grin grin

Face front and worry about your own recovery....his meal will no longer be your headche when you walk out the door. Thousands of women are waiting in the wings to move in and fire up the stove! cheesy cheesy cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by 7lives: 1:48pm On Aug 21, 2015
phantom:
the question to ask is.....what makes Lagos, Lagos?

It is the land, ILE OGERE A'FOKO Y'ERI ALAPO IKA.
Yes the land, the land of prosperity, the land that has Midas touch, anything it touches turn to gold.
The land that Oduduwa already foresaw before sending out Olofin from Ile Ife to go and " locate, occupy and rule over ". grin grin grin grin grin grin I DEY LAUGH O.

6 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by zendy: 1:51pm On Aug 21, 2015
ayokellany:

Yes an Igbo man orchestrated the first coup, but the entire Igbo nation cannot take responsibility for what a few of its officers did on their own. Ironsi did not bring in the unitary system we practice today, it was Gowon that did that. What Ironsi did was to promulgate a unification decree to allow him Govern as a military ruler. All 4 regions were still functioning under a true federal structure as at the time Ironsi was killed. It was Gowon that dismantled the regions, created States and brought in the unitary system. Some people may not know it but this callous act by Gowon was the immediate reason Ojukwu declared Biafra and the subsequent war that followed. Isn't it funny that the North who listed one of the reasons for killing Ironsi as "tampering with federalism" are now the ones who are now hell bent on federalism never coming back?

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by asha80(m): 1:52pm On Aug 21, 2015
obailala:

[size=13pt]"When a people unite in a single purpose, there is absolutely nothing they cannot achieve" - Gen 11:6[/size]

It pains me that even after 45 years, my people cannot still see the big picture and have not still realised this simple fact. True federalism is absolutely possible in Nigeria but there is only one way to it; the entire SE, SS and SW must unite in this single purpose and speak with one voice and you would watch in awe as the northern hegemony will be dismantled instantly.

A case study is the 2011 and 2015 election; the entire norhtern establishment was against GEJ in 2011 but even with their population and dominance, their candidat Buhari failed woefully with a 10million votes gap. But in 2015, the north had to align with the SW and we all know the result today.

The SW, SS and SE wants true federalism but we've never thought it wise to unite in this purpose. Instead everyday you see Igbos and Yorubas fighting senselessly while our real adversaries who have actually kept the nation backward smile away at our collective foolishness. I can assure you that even the north central minorities would be very happy to align with the south if the south puts up a good united fight for federalism. But after many years of praying and wishing for this unity in purpose, the recent development we have is the SE trying to hoodwink the SS to breakaway from Nigeria even whilst we strangely accuse and insult the SW of being the problem. undecided

Bro, please don't ever tell me the north is the reason why true federalism cannot be achieved, rather it is the foolishness of the south to unite in one goal that has kept us in this mess.
actually the north central voted more for gej than buhari in 2011 so the northern establishment wasn't all united then
Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by OPCNAIRALAND: 1:54pm On Aug 21, 2015
obailala:

Your whole reason calling for a union of Southern peoples is to defeat Northern hegemony.

After the hegemony is defeated then what.....

Southern peoples are disparate ethnics with no commonality in any aspect of socio-cultural institutions. A Southern union will be worse off than the current Northern hegemony you despise.

Everyman to his tent!

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by zendy: 2:18pm On Aug 21, 2015
obailala:

Listen man, I'm an Igbo man. I would definitely want true federalism as would all of Southern Nigeria. But the reality is that true federalism can only come by way of a sovereign national conference or if it is passed at the National Assembly. The North has perished any thought about a sovereign conference. When it comes to th National Assembly, the North have more delegates. A federal structure bill will need 2/3ds vote to pass. So how will be done? You think a northerner will vote for it when he finds out it will mean that people from the Niger-Delta will get as much 50% of their oil and Gas money while decreasing the revenue coming to the north? Face reality, regionalism isn't ever coming back.

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by Katsumoto: 2:54pm On Aug 21, 2015
So many economically ignorant folk making silly comments.

When a group of people leave their land to move to a foreign area, they do so because they believe there are opportunities that exist in the foreign land which do not exist in their own home. You only need to create the same or better opportunities in your home and the migrants should return home. Surely it shouldn't be too hard for this people who make Lagos what it is to create this opportunities at home? Or is it a case of talking out of one's ar.se? Talk is cheap. If migrants can make a foreign land great, surely they can make their home greater.

Why worry about what happens to Lagos if you leave? Let the owners, indigenes, and administrators of Lagos worry about Lagos.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by OfoIgbo: 2:56pm On Aug 21, 2015
obailala:

The foolishness of the south manifested itself on 28th March 2015, when Yorubas opted for a dictator, just because their son will be vice president.

The SS and SE clearly voted for restructuring on that day. Yes, we knew GEJ was acting like a rookie while he was the president and his wife compounded his issues, but at least out of the two main contenders, he was more amenable to issues regarding the restructuring of Nigeria.

Perhaps the vice president that the SW wanted so badly should work on restructuring Nigeria from within.

28th March was a landmark date. Yorubas made their choice and they were fully informed. Instead they chose to use their media to run down only SS president that Nigeria has ever produced, thus throwing away the baby and the bathwater.

Presently the SE and SS are consolidating their partnership and brotherliness and we are happy with that. Only committed people are needed and both zones have shown their sincerity towards a restructured Nigeria or TO YOUR TENTS OH ISRAEL.

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by nochildsplay(m): 3:12pm On Aug 21, 2015
But wait o ......... I have a question SNEH!!!

Who's stopping the ibos from leaving Nigeria ?
Where you told that it's ibo's that's feeding us ni ?

To me the Biafra movement ain't different from the Terrorist group BH. Cos they both seek Mayhem and blood shed

If ibo want to leave 9ja. Especially lagos let them vamuzzzz !!!! And stop standing for our National Anthem when it's being sang in the occassions they attends

2 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by TruthisGOD: 3:20pm On Aug 21, 2015
obailala:
Well, if you dont care, I care about my business and the businesses of my people.

There are advantages of remaining in a united Nigeria and there are also lots of dissadvantages. However, I believe all the dissadvantages would be eliminated if we return to true federalism and resource control even whilst we would still maintain the advantages of being in a single entity.

In summary, true federalism is the more practical and most convenient option for now not secession and to achieve that, the entire southern Nigeria must unite to make it happen.
True fedralism and resource control is the last thing Nigeria will embark on. Your leaders and with the present state of the country can never advocate for that.
Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by obailala(m): 3:23pm On Aug 21, 2015
OPCNAIRALAND:

Your whole reason calling for a union of Southern peoples is to defeat Northern hegemony.

After the hegemony is defeated then what.....

Southern peoples are disparate ethnics with no commonality in any aspect of socio-cultural institutions. A Southern union will be worse off than the current Northern hegemony you despise.

Everyman to his tent!
The target is true federalism / regional governments just as it was before 1966; the SS should control its resources, same for the SE, SW and northern regions.
Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by obailala(m): 3:41pm On Aug 21, 2015
OfoIgbo:

The foolishness of the south manifested itself on 28th March 2015, when Yorubas opted for a dictator, just because their son will be vice president.

The SS and SE clearly voted for restructuring on that day. Yes, we knew GEJ was acting like a rookie while he was the president and his wife compounded his issues, but at least out of the two main contenders, he was more amenable to issues regarding the restructuring of Nigeria.

Perhaps the vice president that the SW wanted so badly should work on restructuring Nigeria from within.

28th March was a landmark date. Yorubas made their choice and they were fully informed. Instead they chose to use their media to run down only SS president that Nigeria has ever produced, thus throwing away the baby and the bathwater.

Presently the SE and SS are consolidating their partnership and brotherliness and we are happy with that. Only committed people are needed and both zones have shown their sincerity towards a restructured Nigeria or TO YOUR TENTS OH ISRAEL.
Please forget the issue of March 28th, GEJ was a failure of a leader, the SW had absolutely nothing to gain from GEJ so they were under no obligation to vote for him. And while you may want to erroneously accuse the SW of voting PMB because of his vice, may I remind you of 2 things:
1. A yoruba man was also Buharis vice in 2011 but 90% of SW still voted for Jonathan.
2. Almost half (45%) of the SW voted for GEJ in the last election so it would be unfair and myopic to just generalise that the entire SW voted a dictator. As a matter of fact, the reason more south-westerners are even supporting buhari today is because of the reaction of the Igbos after the election, i.e. the way the SE has continually thrown insults and preached hate messages against them.

Also, have you ever wondered why the middle-belt which voted massively for GEJ in 2011 decided to switch to Buhari in 2015?... The answer is simple, GEJ wasn't a good leader (even though only the Igbos were blind to this). For the middle belt and SW, the last election had absolutely nothing to do with tribe, if PDP had fielded any other person from the Niger delta, there is absolutely no way the old dictator would have smelt victory.

And finally, regarding the restructuring, I could stake my life that there was absolutely no way GEJ was going to make any move in that direction. So for what reason exactly should the SW have voted GEJ?

6 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by phantom(m): 3:46pm On Aug 21, 2015
OfoIgbo:

please shed more light on the bolded.
Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by obailala(m): 3:48pm On Aug 21, 2015
zendy:

Listen man, I'm an Igbo man. I would definitely want true federalism as would all of Southern Nigeria. But the reality is that true federalism can only come by way of a sovereign national conference or if it is passed at the National Assembly. The North has perished any thought about a sovereign conference. When it comes to th National Assembly, the North have more delegates. A federal structure bill will need 2/3ds vote to pass. So how will be done? You think a northerner will vote for it when he finds out it will mean that people from the Niger-Delta will get as much 50% of their oil and Gas money while decreasing the revenue coming to the north? Face reality, regionalism isn't ever coming back.

The only people opposed to regionalism is the core north, the north central states arent even bothered and would be happy to break away from the domination of the hausa-fulani mafia. If the entire SW, SE, SS and north central agrees to unite in that fight, there's nothing the core north can do. It is not impossible!

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by noah91(m): 4:12pm On Aug 21, 2015
Lagos will continually b prosperous with or without d igbos n it will forever b attractive whether igbos suceed or not. D only thing am sure of is that sanity n more job opportunities to indigenes will b seen in Lagos when d igbos leave which is good
Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by omoelesa(m): 4:57pm On Aug 21, 2015
zendy:

At the time that Nigeria kicked Ghanaians out, the ECOWAS free movement and trade agreement had not yet been enshrined in its charter. Now, it is obligatory that at all member nations must sign up to this. This basically means that all those Ghanaians can come back and without any fear that they can be unjustly sent back. Should Biafra join ECOWAS, which is most likely, every Igbo can go anywhere in Nigeria that pleases him and with any visa. Unless Nigeria opts to get out of ECOWAS. As for the hate propaganda on Radio Biafra, frankly, if there was something similar against Igbo on another Radio station, I would agitate even more for Igbos to go as Biafra.
Stop deceiving ur self mr man.so u wants to tell me, ECOWAS treaty is greater than the nigeria law? Do u know what nigerians living in ghana, doing retail trade are curently facing?if u eventualy gets ur biafra it wont be bizness as usual.
Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by Cosbyrich: 5:01pm On Aug 21, 2015
Heromaniaa:
wherever the igbos go they go with their market. Lagos will be the roadside retail and omonile hub of Africa should the Igbos give up on Nigeria.
Lagos and Lagosians to me,are even begging the Ibos to go but the truth is that the Ibos would feel it most because this South West especially Lagos is where we have the highest population of Ibos than anywhere else in the world and Lagos is where they have made their mark.In short Lagos is the Rondon of most Ibos and Lagos has really helped them more than they have helped Lagos.They have also helped Lagos too.
Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by Nobody: 5:11pm On Aug 21, 2015
Here is the opinion of Senator Adeseye Ogunlewe:

Sincere9gerian:
** Igbos In Lagos State: My Experience, By Senator Adeseye Ogunlewe

Lagos State belongs as much to the ethnic Igbo as to the Yoruba, Ijaw, Hausa, Fulani, Efik, Idoma, Urhobo, Itshekiri, Edo, and so on who live in it, pay tax, identify with it, and settle in it. That compact was made the moment Nigeria became a single nation, and a successor power to the old principalities who were subdued and who ceded their sovereignty for the new commonwealth of Nigeria .
It was pragmatic. The Igbo had the skill and the industry, and Lagos was the seat of the Federal Government of Nigeria and its major port.

The Igbo have lived in Lagos since the 15th century when the Aro and other Igbo first settledin good number in a place we nowcall “Oyingbo” in the era of Benin and the Portuguese trade.

The arrival of Dr. Namdi Azikiwe to Lagos in 1937 from Accra after his studies in the United States, stimulated the political and cultural environment of Lagos as no other has before or after him. Zik literally resurrected the wizard of Kirsten hall from political death. Zik represented Lagos in the western house. The NCNC was the power in Lagos , and not the Action Group. The Igbo were prominent in the governance of Lagos in the Lagos City Hall.

The institutional development of Lagos – the railways, the ports andship yards; the education and research facilities; the Banking and Commodities Exchange, the development of towns like Yaba, Surulere, Ebutta-Metta, Festac Town, Victoria Island, and now increasing the Ajah-Lekki axis, and of course, the ghettoes along the Orile-Badagry axis, have profound Igbo imprimatur.

The circulation of the image of Lagos is to date best reflected in the cosmopolitan Igbo imagination of one of the greatest African writers of the 20th century, Cyprian Ekwensi, a thorough Lagosian if there was any. Igbo have built industries in Lagos and have been drivers of commerce and exchange.

Interestingly, I was born at plot number 8, Okoya Street , Idumagbo- Lagos, while the Ojukwu families were residing at number one to three on the same street. I grew up to know the father of Odumegwu Ojukwu. Chimbizie and Azuka grew up withus on the same street. Even the Chibeze small parking space at the end of Okoya Street is called Ojukwu. I later attended St. Patrick Primary School , Idumagbo, where I had very amiable classmates of Igbo origin in the persons of Azubike Ezenwa and Damian, Ihekuna, both now professors and doctors of today. They were brilliant, resourceful and friendly.

When we were playing bamboo and Tene Felele at Orikoriko at Onola playing ground, the Igbo participated actively. In the area of sports, school football and athletes, Igbo were dominant at Kings College, St. Gregory school, St. Finbars, Akoka, Igbobi College and Ahmadiyya College, Agege. Such boys, Njokwu, George Amu, Stephen Keshi, Henry Nwosu, Patrick Noquapor, Peter Anieke and Sammy Opone were dominant on the field of football, while Asiodu, Empire Kanu were prominent on the field of athletics.

Anytime we went to watch football match at Onikan stadium, my darling team, Stationery Stores and our adversary team I hated most was the E. C. N, where the centre forward, Paul Hamilton, the National Team, Fabian the captain who bit the dust. Our greatest captain was Duru, Oduah Onyenrekwa, Onyeador Onyeali and Opel, the greatest outside right Nigeria ever had, Cyril Azuluka.

So, during my early life at primary school, the Igbo were always there and delightful to watch, both in athletes and on the football field.

When I listened to radio at that time, both the commentary and drama series, the Igbo were there for you. The likes of Chris Ndaguba, Ernest Okwonkwo, Ralph Okpara ‘Alawo Sekiseki the traveler’. The episode will end with – The script was written by Ralph Okpara and edited by Yemi Lijadu.

Anytime I visited where I was born today in Idumagbo at Lagos Island, the entire place is covered by Igbo traders in their thousands. They were never troublesome but decent and accommodating. They have virtually taken over all properties of the indigenes. They succeeded in developing all our properties, married to most of our children even from the royal families. There is no single house you will visit without an Igbo man selling wares there.

So, who is saying something else? Only the strangers in our midst will not notice participation of economic development in our state by the Igbos. Most houses and shops in Lagos Island have been purchased, developed and occupied by the Igbos. The value of their investments in Lagos Island alone is in trillions of naira.

Instead of deporting the Igbos, whose contributions to the development of Lagos state are immensurable, you must keep on praising and encouraging them to keep on developing Lagos State.

•Senator Adeseye Ogunlewe is a former Nigerian minister for Works and Housing.

http://premiumtimesng.com/opinion/143249-igbos-in-lagos-state-my-experience-by-senator-adeseye-ogunlewe.html
Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by Antivirus92(m): 5:17pm On Aug 21, 2015
phantom:
with the likes of ochendo abi? Look,the igboman has far more important things to sort out than biafra at the moment. Are we even United? Who will lead us in biafra? The fact we are mouthing off and chest beating because of one retard (yeah i think hes deranged) in the UK who keeps insulting people,shows we are not ready.
pig...who made u Igbo #weigbosyndrome#

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Biafra : Nnamdi Kanu Storms Edmunds Catholic Church & This Happened (photos) / Obafemi Hamzat Live On Morning Digest With Jimi Disu / Rivers APC Crisis: Appeal Court Fixes Date For Hearing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.