Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,653 members, 7,813,204 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:37 AM

Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle (10806 Views)

Ghanaian Female Soldiers Pose With A Python In The Jungle / The True Story Of The Boy Buried Alive Inside Brick Walls Of Old House / Security Officers Pose With The Dead Lion Killed In Jos (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by Nobody: 1:14pm On Aug 21, 2015
so where did the misconception about which of the big cats is the "king" of the jungle come from?

The Tiger is by far the superior hunter of the two.

Tigers have been shown to have higher average bite forces (such as at the canine tips) than lions.The bite force adjusted for body mass allometry (BFQ) for tiger is 127 while that for lion is 112. Tigers have a well-developed sagittal crest and coronoid processes, providing muscle attachment for their strong bite.Tigers also have exceptionally stout teeth, and the canines are the longest and biggest among all living felids

The average weight of the Tiger is 220kg while the average Lion weight is 190kg

Tigers are generally larger, heavier, have a stronger bite and win almost every conflict against lions(usually quite quickly) that have been witnessed by humans, according to William Bridges, the curator of publications at the Bronx Zoo “back in the day of the Roman Coliseum, the smart money usually backed the tiger.” While we don’t have any great descriptions of the outcomes, ancient paintings of the event usually showed the tiger winning. And in the late 1800′s, the Gaekwad of Baroda, an Indian ruler, arranged a fight between the two beasts. Before the fight began, those running the bettor set the odds at 1 to 37,000 that the tiger would win. It did, and the Gaekwad lost 37,000 rupees.

Also in 2011 at the Ankara zoo, a tiger killed a lion with a single paw swipe!! http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-12669308

Bengal Tigers are known to kill Bull elephants singlehandedly,but you never hear of a Lion taking down an elephant on its own.

A tiger can stand tall on hind limbs and deliver swipes with its bigger paws

Lions are relaxed (sociable) and confident around their harem of females, they live in groups. Tigers on the other hand are highly aggressive, solitary animals. Tigers live alone and lions live in packs. Tigers are known to solo while lions depend on pride cooperation.

A study by Oxford University scientists has shown that tigers have much bigger brains, relative to body size, than lions and other big cats. Although comparisons showed that lion skulls were larger overall, the tiger's cranial volume is the largest—even the small female Balinese tiger skulls have cranial volumes as large as those of huge male southern African lion skulls.

lastly, Lions dwell in the savannah or grasslands (and not the jungle), Tigers are the jungle dwellers!!!

lalasticlala, ishilove, freiburger, r231
Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by heayey(m): 1:20pm On Aug 21, 2015
Still not convinced.... Lion is the king of the jungle
Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by Nobody: 1:22pm On Aug 21, 2015
heayey:
Still not convinced....
Lion is the king of the jungle

. . . . . . . .for starters, you have to dwell in the kingdom for you to be king . . . . . . . . .lions don't dwell in the jungle

1 Like

Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by Heromaniaa: 1:31pm On Aug 21, 2015
I once fought a tiger. after hours of intense bleeding...... the tiger died. I guess I am now the king of the jungle.
Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by heayey(m): 1:43pm On Aug 21, 2015
torkaka:

. . . . . . . .for starters, you have to dwell in the kingdom for you to be king . . . . . . . . .lions don't dwell in the jungle

These aren't facts.
Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 21, 2015
heayey:

These aren't facts.

. . . . . there are facts my friend

1 Like

Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by Segadem(m): 2:01pm On Aug 21, 2015
Lions are known to be the king but facts have shown that a lion of the same size with a tiger can not win a fight without the support of its fellow pride. Lions don't walk alone that is what that can give them advantage over a solitary tiger.
Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by Nobody: 2:06pm On Aug 21, 2015
follow the below link for the top ten land animals

http://www.thetoptens.com/strongest-land-animals/

lalasticlala
Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by tpiander: 4:32pm On Aug 21, 2015
i guess being from different continents is not enough incentive for the op to not open the thread.
Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 21, 2015
tpiander:
i guess being from different continents is not enough incentive for the op to not open the thread.

I guess you have never heard of Asiatic lions of Gujarat India undecided undecided
Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by tpiander: 4:46pm On Aug 21, 2015
so, is anything wrong with you indicating your point of reference is Asiatic?
Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 21, 2015
tpiander:
so, is anything wrong with you indicating your point of reference is Asiatic?

. . . . . .stop being smart by half, I am pretty sure you saw my last line;

"lastly, Lions dwell in the savannah or grasslands (and not the jungle), Tigers are the jungle dwellers!!!"

. . . . .but you still chose to act funny angry
Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by tpiander: 4:57pm On Aug 21, 2015
your oversabi is what's making your thread pointless.

You are asking if no one has heard of Asiatic lions.

then you referred to lions living in the savannah.

Do Asiatic lions live on savannahs?
Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by Nobody: 5:06pm On Aug 21, 2015
tpiander:
your oversabi is what's making your thread pointless.

You are asking if no one has heard of Asiatic lions.

then you referred to lions living in the savannah.

Do Asiatic lions live on savannahs?

. . . . . .maybe you should go back to the first post and read to understand. Firstly, the debate on Tigers and Lions wouldn't be a debate if they were found in the same circles, if they were, we will easily decipher which one comes tops wouldn't we? come on, be smart!!!

secondly, I made mention of Asiatic Lions to cut your ignorance . . . . . . . . . .

Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by tpiander: 5:10pm On Aug 21, 2015
torkaka:

Firstly, the debate on Tigers and Lions wouldn't be a debate if they were found in the same circles

and your reason for the pointless thread is?

if they were, we will easily decipher which one comes tops wouldn't we? come on, be smart!!!

you need a job.

secondly, I made mention of Asiatic Lions to cut my ignorance . . . . . . . . . .

oversabi. undecided

maybe you should think before you attack your keyboard.
Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 21, 2015
tpiander:

and your reason for the pointless thread is?

you need a job.

oversabi. undecided

maybe you should think before you attack your keyboard.

you want to find one (job) for me? . . . . . .trust me, I am the last person you should try to joust with!!! . . . . . . . .have a great ppointless evening
Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by tpiander: 5:17pm On Aug 21, 2015
torkaka:

I am the last person you should try to joust with!!!

undecided
Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by prof800(m): 8:59am On Sep 01, 2015
What was supposed to be an intelligent discuss among NatGeoWild and Animal fanatics has turned into shamefulness.

1 Like

Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by chachanga: 10:01am On Sep 01, 2015
prof800:
What was supposed to be an intelligent discuss among NatGeoWild and Animal fanatics has turned into shamefulness.

I wonder o

Every Keyboard Ninja feels the need to practically throw his/her knowledge or "facts" in one another's face.... a load of bull i'd say.

The etiquette of Rational Discourse with proper courtesies of civility and a broad minded pursuit of logically laying facts bare for the benefit of all is now replaced with some overly aggressive pseudo-"I-too-know" feints-machinery constantly in attack mode. Signs of repressed brains i'd wagger!

So, the O.P shuts it, all other aggressors lay off on supplying facts AND another seemingly informative thread FVCKING DERAILS & ENDS AGAIN in this Nairaland Megaverse of crazed, insipid flows and germane "tweedle dee's & tweedle dums"!

MoD@Fvckas, MB Wastrels, Keypad V@gabonds everywia...Anu ofias angry!

1 Like

Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by KingdomX: 4:41am On Jul 08, 2016
People who dont know what they're talking about.
Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by KingdomX: 5:00am On Jul 08, 2016
so where did the misconception about which of the big cats is the "king" of the jungle come from?

The Tiger is by far the superior hunter of the two.

I doubt you can prove that. Tigers main prey is chital, boar, blue bull, sambar ( all under 1,000 lbs), while lions buffalo (1,500 lbs) eland, (3,000 lbs) and giraffe (4,000 lbs), indian bison or guar kill more tigers than tigers do guar, and lions hunt hippo (6,000 lbs), rhino (7,000 lbs).

Lions kill some 600 plus giraffes in one study:

https://books.google.com/books?id=7Qd-AgAAQBAJ&pg=PA55&dq=lion+giraffe+killed&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LrhyVcrHHoGXsQX53YKwDA&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=lion%20giraffe%20killed&f=false

And one solitary young male lion killed two bull giraffes in two weeks time:
http://lionguardians.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Dolrenry-Stephanie-PhD-2013.pdf

Tigers have been shown to have higher average bite forces (such as at the canine tips) than lions.The bite force adjusted for body mass allometry (BFQ) for tiger is 127 while that for lion is 112. Tigers have a well-developed sagittal crest and coronoid processes, providing muscle attachment for their strong bite.Tigers also have exceptionally stout teeth, and the canines are the longest and biggest among all living felids

The average weight of the Tiger is 220kg while the average Lion weight is 190kg

This is incorrect, most scientist agree the lions skull is bigger, and the tiger species stay around the 300 lb range.

http://www.catsg.org/index.php?id=410

Tigers are generally larger, heavier, have a stronger bite and win almost every conflict against lions(usually quite quickly) that have been witnessed by humans, according to William Bridges, the curator of publications at the Bronx Zoo “back in the day of the Roman Coliseum, the smart money usually backed the tiger.” While we don’t have any great descriptions of the outcomes, ancient paintings of the event usually showed the tiger winning. And in the late 1800′s, the Gaekwad of Baroda, an Indian ruler, arranged a fight between the two beasts. Before the fight began, those running the bettor set the odds at 1 to 37,000 that the tiger would win. It did, and the Gaekwad lost 37,000 rupees.

Also in 2011 at the Ankara zoo, a tiger killed a lion with a single paw swipe!! http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-12669308

The first one isnt real and the second was a cub. Any one can see the zoos three lions had a female and two cubs. The lion has most documentation of experts backing the lion, unlike yours which are empty text, you show no tangible proof or empirical evidence, any one can claim those things for both sides, but can you show the proof? Clyde beattys records we can see these were real animals he basis his experiences on:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4171069

Bengal Tigers are known to kill Bull elephants single handedly, but you never hear of a Lion taking down an elephant on its own.

A tiger can stand tall on hind limbs and deliver swipes with its bigger paws

lol A bull elephant is immune to attack from any animal. But lions do take juvenile elephants as large as 6,000 lbs:

A lone lion who killed a pretty big elephant:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&q=this+male+killed+this+elephant+entirely+on+its+own&cad=h#tbm=bks&q=%22This+male+killed+this+elephant+entirely+on+its+own%2C+an+impressive+and+extremely+rare+feat+of+daring.+It+will+be+difficult+for%22

Even the indian lion has:

largest elephants, and to have fairly pulled them to the ground, riders and all.
https://books.google.com/books?id=QvFmze2gaGsC&pg=PA383&lpg=PA383&dq=pulled+rider+lion+elephant+india&source=bl&ots=1i4F-ZJIB4&sig=YZcH5biumdk2u_CGvbcTT-65BwE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiDtNah-ZTNAhVO4mMKHU-lAiEQ6AEIQTAL#v=onepage&q=pulled%20rider%20lion%20elephant%20india&f=false

A lion has been seen by Biologist joubert knocking a 6 year old juvi down
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2011/03/15/older-elephants-know-the-best-anti-lion-moves/#.Vt6JMJwrLIW

Lions constitute of over a 100 elephant deaths a year, a tiger doesnt even kill 10 elephants a year.

A tiger hopping around like a bunny rabbit on two legs means nothing.

Lions are relaxed (sociable) and confident around their harem of females, they live in groups. Tigers on the other hand are highly aggressive, solitary animals. Tigers live alone and lions live in packs. Tigers are known to solo while lions depend on pride cooperation.

They are not relaxed, they hunt the most bovines out of any panthera.
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab95/boldchamp1/Malelionsaregoodhunters.jpg

Any one who has read any biology books on George schaller would know this, and so is a jaguar solo, so is a cheetah, a leopard, a black bear, a brown bear, polar bear, wolverine ect, doesnt have any merits to say a pack animal loses all his fighting ability when solo.

A study by Oxford University scientists has shown that tigers have much bigger brains, relative to body size, than lions and other big cats. Although comparisons showed that lion skulls were larger overall, the tiger's cranial volume is the largest—even the small female Balinese tiger skulls have cranial volumes as large as those of huge male southern African lion skulls.

And jelly fish have no brains, yet they have lived millions of years and out lasted the dinosaurs and will out last us as well, not having a brain doesnt gauge intelligence and capability's, blue whales brains are a 1,000 times larger than ours, havent yet to have seen them create structures to match most colonized animals.

lastly, Lions dwell in the savannah or grasslands (and not the jungle), Tigers are the jungle dwellers!!!

lalasticlala, ishilove, freiburger, r231

The word jungle derives from the word jungala, which in its origination from the indian sanskrit writings it refers to a dense dry thicket, its secondary definition known in jungal is wild country lions can be found in both wild countrys and in dense dry thickets, both in africa and india. The rest you claimed are made up. There are more records of lions killing tigers than vice versa:

http://wildanimalwarfare.yuku.com/topic/6/Lion-kills-male-tigers?page=1#.V38hKbgrLIU
Re: Why The Tiger (not The Lion) Is The True King Of The Jungle by blackdatura: 10:42am On Jan 12, 2018
Looks like many people forgot that lion hunt in group while tiger is solitary animal. The fact that lion can take down a elephant is because they hunt in group. Yes one alpha male got a chance to kill elephant, but just because one of it can kill doesnt mean other can. A number of elephant killed by single male can be counted with one hand. While hundreds of it was killed by group mixed with lioness.

And what makes me laugh is someone say tiger hardly kill elephant, looks like the one who type it is lion fanboy. Some fact: bengal tiger kill an adult rhino kaziranga national park alone last 2014, and adult elephant alone. Sibefeen tiger once kill a brown bear and a saltwater crocodile.

And yes its a fact that tiger hunt animal that are smaller than it body size, they do it because its easier and they only need it for itself unlike lion that got a lot of family to feed which need them to hunt bigger prey.

If somebody ask who is the king then the answer is lion, and you ask why tiger fanboy? Example, a king is someone full of pride and mighty aura and charismatic to lead their people, and that is lion. While tiger is stronger, they are a lone hunter.

Tiger vs lion ?
If its one on one, tiger win. If its about a number lions win. I mean what can one soldier do when he is fighting a whole army? While its true that just because lion hunt in group doesn't mean they will lose in one on one fight. And lion kill more tiger than tiger does? Okay where is the source? I never seen one, and at this point i just think about some kid who randomly search information about lion on google. And i've seen more data about tiger killing lion.

And i'm getting tired of this lion vs tiger shit. For god sake its a fight, where (mainly) body size , instinct, and luck increase the chance of winning.

(1) (Reply)

See Bank Transactions You Can’t Complete Without Bvn Number / Have You Achieved Your goals for 2018 ? / What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.