Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,997 members, 7,814,411 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

How My Money Was Syphoned From My Account Using My Bvn Number - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How My Money Was Syphoned From My Account Using My Bvn Number (12165 Views)

Evans: I Gave My Father N3m, SUV And A Hilux Van; Why I Didn't Enjoy My Money / BVN Fraudsters Bag Six Months Imprisonment (Photos) / My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How My Money Was Syphoned From My Account Using My Bvn Number by godonzoki(m): 5:08pm On Aug 21, 2015
Please read this carefully, it may save you a few hundred, or a few thousand, or may be a few million bucks. It's a personal experience, a true event that happened this afternoon. I am Sunday Adewole, I just fell victim of fraudsters a few hours ago. I am an account holder with StanbicIBTC bank, I am trying to put fund together to pay for my daughter's tuition fee in CU in which case the institution already resumed last week. Yesterday afternoon, I got a call from somebody purportedly from StanbicIBTC who said "Am I speaking with Dr. Adewole" (called out my other names) to which I answered in the affirmative. He said he called in respect of my BVN which I was observed not to have done, I replied that I already had it done with Skye bank and he said the bank will send me a link so that my account with Stanbic will be linked with the BVN. True to our conversation, I receive a message from StanbicIBTC in which an OTP was sent to my phone. A few minutes later, he called to ask if I got the the SMS, I told him yes but I can't do anything about it cos I was driving. He said no problem I should call out the numbers which I did and he thanked me for my cooperation in a customer service manner. I heard nothing since then till this afternoon at precisely 13:00 hrs when I received a SMS from StanbicIBTC informing me of a debit transaction which cleared my account to the lowest thousand, i.e. I was left with a paltry N685 (six hundred and eighty five naira). I called my account officer who confirmed to me that I have fallen victim of fraudsters and he checked up on my account and saw that the recipient acct is in First Bank. My puzzle is how did they get my account details? How were they able to generate an OTP to my phone. I am waiting to see what my bank would do on it. In the mean time, please be aware of what the 419 people can do.
Re: How My Money Was Syphoned From My Account Using My Bvn Number by Tocheagle(m): 5:16pm On Aug 21, 2015
INSIDE JOB
Re: How My Money Was Syphoned From My Account Using My Bvn Number by HDee(m): 5:26pm On Aug 21, 2015
what's the usefulness then?
Re: How My Money Was Syphoned From My Account Using My Bvn Number by Tejbond: 5:31pm On Aug 21, 2015
Is like your bank is mad. CBN are mad while will they force us to do BVN when is porous & vulnerable. Trust me when I tell you that fraudsters will take advantage of this. I know. Make sure your bank refund that money and find out how it happened. Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: How My Money Was Syphoned From My Account Using My Bvn Number by Gboliwe: 5:52pm On Aug 21, 2015
It wasn't the BVN that was used, that Dr Adewole is just not internet savvy. It's the OTG that he reeled out that was used. You can't defraud anybody (yet) with the BVN

5 Likes

Re: How My Money Was Syphoned From My Account Using My Bvn Number by eezeribe(m): 11:06am On May 01, 2018
Gboliwe:
It wasn't the BVN that was used, that Dr Adewole is just not internet savvy. It's the OTG that he reeled out that was used. You can't defraud anybody (yet) with the BVN
If it happens to your mother,will you also blame her for not being Internet savvy? while glorifying and exonerating the fraudster?
Blame the victim mentality,the first sign of a low IQ
Re: How My Money Was Syphoned From My Account Using My Bvn Number by Fabmore: 1:17pm On Nov 06, 2018
Sorry about that,Actually its not your bvn number that was used,the person already knows your ATM card details(the numbers in front and the 3 numbers at the back) coupled with your ATM pin,he only needs the otp authentication sent from your bank to the number you opened the account with, to make sure you authorized it..that was what happened.. If you we're familiar with online payment you would have known.. Sorry again hope the bank will try to rectify that

(1) (Reply)

15 Police Officers In Detention Over Extortion / Man Defrauds In-law In N9m Deal / Gunmen Invade Mosque In Ogun, Abduct Police Inspector, Two Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.