Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees (58873 Views)

Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection / Sex Of Baby In Benue Is Yet To Be Known Days After Delivery (Photos) / Quack Doctor Arrested In Lagos After 11 Years Practice (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by idgerrard(m): 7:08am On Aug 22, 2015
In a bizarre story that has continued to perplex investigators and residents of a Lagos community, three generations of a family have died during the delivery of a baby.

Saturday PUNCH learnt that on May 7, 2015 Dr. Bosun Owolabi, was contacted when 34-year-old Edith Ororobi, went into labour to give birth to her first child ever.

The doctor allegedly raced to the house at Bogije Town in Ibeju-Lekki area of Lagos in the dead of the night.

But by the time he was done with the delivery, Edith; her 61-year-old mother, Elizabeth Ororobi, who witnessed the procedure, and the newborn baby, were all dead.

Police sources familiar with the case told our correspondent that Owolabi instantly fled the scene only to contact a relation of the victims on the phone and explained how the grandmother, mother and newborn baby died.

The man, who was contacted was Elizabeth’s younger brother, Jite Tubman.

In his statement to the police, Tubman explained that at about 3.14am on May 7, he received a call from a doctor, whom he later learnt was Dr. Owolabi.

Tubman said, “The doctor said my elder sister died of shock after realising that her daughter, Edith, had died during delivery.

“The father of the dead newborn baby, has travelled out of the country. I later reported the case to the police, who took an ambulance and followed us to the house.”

The bodies of mother, child and grandmother were deposited at the Lagos Island General Hospital.

A police source told our correspondent that by the time they got to the scene, Owolabi, was nowhere to be found.

“The mother was found in a pool of her own blood while the baby was found dead on a bed. The grandmother was also found on the floor lying on her right side. We are still searching for the doctor. The family has even refused to come forward after reporting the case,” a police source said.

The case was transferred from the Elemoro Police Division at Ibeju-Lekki to the Department of Criminal Investigation, Panti, Yaba.

When Saturday PUNCH contacted Dr. Owolabi on the phone to get his side of this story, he said his lawyer would be in a position to tell the story better.

“I don’t want to say what I did not do,” he said.

Asked to explain what actually happened during the delivery and why he was on the run, Dr. Owolabi said, “I am not on the run. That is a lie. I was never arrested and I am not aware that the case is now at Panti (DCI). I cannot say anything further.”

The police believe that Dr. Owolabi works with the Government Health Centre at Arapaji Village, Ibeju-Lekki but explained that the case has been stalled because the family seemed not to be interested in it.

http://www.punchng.com/feature/super-saturday-crime/doctor-flees-as-delivery-goes-awry-grandmother-mother-baby-die/

Pix: Edith and Elizabeth

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by therealdeal10: 7:17am On Aug 22, 2015
Dat doctor knew wat e did

D police shuld pls do smtin crious

4 Likes

Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by Nobody: 7:21am On Aug 22, 2015
This is serious! May the souls of the departed Rest in Peace. It could be an act of God and nobody's fault.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by abat4real37(f): 7:29am On Aug 22, 2015
I doubt if the man is a doctor. May their soul rest in peace

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by donholy28(m): 7:32am On Aug 22, 2015
So he mean say be be doc and he no sabi when people dey die and d moment he discovered them dead,he fled...hmmm quack

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by dominique(f): 7:37am On Aug 22, 2015
This is truly bizarre. The doctor should not have gone to take delivery in a house. In the case of emergency such as this, he was not equipped or staffed to to it. The bodies should be autopsied to find out the real cause of the deaths. May they RIP

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by pyyxxaro: 7:39am On Aug 22, 2015
Am sure the Doctor graduated from Yabatech tongue

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by bigiyaro(m): 7:53am On Aug 22, 2015
weda d family is intrested or not, 3 humans r dead n somebody gat to pay. Dis shold be Govt Vs d doctor, n nt d victims family

12 Likes

Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by dkronicle(m): 8:02am On Aug 22, 2015
Chai... Can't blame anybody sha...

3 Likes

Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by dre11(m): 8:16am On Aug 22, 2015
idgerrard:
In a bizarre story that has continued to perplex investigators and residents of a Lagos community, three generations of a family have died during the delivery of a baby.
Saturday PUNCHlearnt that on May 7, 2015 Dr. Bosun Owolabi, was contacted when 34-year-old Edith Ororobi, went into labour to give birth to her first child ever.
The doctor allegedly raced to the house at Bogije Town in Ibeju-Lekki area of Lagos in the dead of the night.
But by the time he was done with the delivery, Edith; her 61-year-old mother, Elizabeth Ororobi, who witnessed the procedure, and the newborn baby, were all dead.
Police sources familiar with the case told our correspondent that Owolabi instantly fled the scene only to contact a relation of the victims on the phone and explained how the grandmother, mother and newborn baby died.
The man, who was contacted was Elizabeth’s younger brother, Jite Tubman.
In his statement to the police, Tubman explained that at about 3.14am on May 7, he received a call from a doctor, whom he later learnt was Dr. Owolabi.
Tubman said, “The doctor said my elder sister died of shock after realising that her daughter, Edith, had died during delivery.
“The father of the dead newborn baby, has travelled out of the country. I later reported the case to the police, who took an ambulance and followed us to the house.”
The bodies of mother, child and grandmother were deposited at the Lagos Island General Hospital.
A police source told our correspondent that by the time they got to the scene, Owolabi, was nowhere to be found.
“The mother was found in a pool of her own blood while the baby was found dead on a bed. The grandmother was also found on the floor lying on her right side. We are still searching for the doctor. The family has even refused to come forward after reporting the case,” a police source said.
The case was transferred from the Elemoro Police Division at Ibeju-Lekki to the Department of Criminal Investigation, Panti, Yaba.
WhenSaturday PUNCHcontacted Dr. Owolabi on the phone to get his side of this story, he said his lawyer would be in a position to tell the story better.
“I don’t want to say what I did not do,” he said.
Asked to explain what actually happened during the delivery and why he was on the run, Dr. Owolabi said, “I am not on the run. That is a lie. I was never arrested and I am not aware that the case is now at Panti (DCI). I cannot say anything further.”
The police believe that Dr. Owolabi works with the Government Health Centre at Arapaji Village, Ibeju-Lekki but explained that the case has been stalled because the family seemed not to be interested in it.

OP come and put the source and pictures to this story so that lalasticlala can move it

2 Likes

Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by Ultimated02: 8:25am On Aug 22, 2015
Chai
Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by clefstone(m): 8:26am On Aug 22, 2015
That Dr's licence is definitely going, but that's if this news is true. His crime would be that he took d delivery in a place without necessary facility

5 Likes

Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by qualityovenbake(m): 8:26am On Aug 22, 2015
The doctor has some serious questions to answer.
Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by jnrbayano(m): 8:26am On Aug 22, 2015
Strange.
Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by Eshinery(m): 8:27am On Aug 22, 2015
Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by Nobody: 8:27am On Aug 22, 2015
Complicated deliveries.....must be handled by a gynaecologist

Take aways...

1.When in labour....please go to the hospital. Preferably a teaching hospital....where the Consultant gyanecologist and his team of residents and super expert midwife-Nurses would be ready to take the delivery.(In my opinion, home deliveries are unsafe until proven otheriwse.).

It is possible that the mother stayed at home and went into prolonged labour....due to obstruction. But that is speculative.....I await the autopsy and the doctor's report.

2.)Nigeria honestly needs more gyanecologists and more GP's. Somehow...we must increase numbers.

3.)The doctor should present himself to the GMC to answer questions about his mismanagement.

(In his ''defence''.....teaching hospitals owned by govt are on strike....but even then''

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by Nobody: 8:27am On Aug 22, 2015
shocked
Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by DahtzFestjayz: 8:27am On Aug 22, 2015
EVIL
Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by Timoleon(m): 8:28am On Aug 22, 2015
dominique:
This is truly bizarre. The doctor should not have gone to take delivery in a house. In the case of emergency such as this, he was not equipped or staffed to to it. The bodies should be autopsies to find out the real cause of the deaths. May they RIP

This is reasonable.
Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by Pidggin(f): 8:29am On Aug 22, 2015
Doctor is a greedy goat, why not advice them to go to hospital for delivery? This is the worse that could happen and it did, RIP to all three.

1 Like

Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by kenedy175(m): 8:32am On Aug 22, 2015
Shady story
Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by holyfather(m): 8:32am On Aug 22, 2015
And what actually killed the 61 year old

3 Likes

Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by philfrey08: 8:32am On Aug 22, 2015
The Dr was scared.... what wud u do in that situation if it happened as he told the brother?

Me i fit run out of fear!
But running is a HUGE mistake.

1 Like

Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by saintfizzo(m): 8:32am On Aug 22, 2015
undecided why home delivery? Facilities to prevent emergency situations like this are not in homes, why couldn't the doctor get an ambulance over since he works with a govt. Hospital? As much as I wanna believe the doctor is clean... he has some serious answers to give

1 Like

Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by brightcool1(m): 8:33am On Aug 22, 2015
[color=#000000][/color]Serious problem! RIP to the dead angrySerious problem! RIP to the dead
Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by Nobody: 8:33am On Aug 22, 2015
God have mercy
Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by Seuncoded(f): 8:34am On Aug 22, 2015
HITT
Re: Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees by Nobody: 8:35am On Aug 22, 2015
I don't believe this 'sophisticated' Dr. Bosun Owolabi. He sure knows something about this crime, that's how these quacks cause problems and flee.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence / Why Do Some People Go About Without Bathing After Sex? / Coronavirus: Wike Reveals Identity Of Rivers Index Case, Close Down Markets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.