Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,096 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

The Fear Of Reason - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Fear Of Reason (1233 Views)

Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians / The Fear Of End Time And How To Overcome / The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fear Of Reason by johnydon22(m): 1:04pm On Aug 23, 2015
[b]I saw a thread by BRIGHTRIVERS https://www.nairaland.com/2545912/now-thinking-like-atheist where he voiced out he needs help because of the way his thoughts has been going lately and youngpol also identified to trail that line too and this shows that there are many like this who are afraid of their own questions, afraid of their own thoughts and remarkably afraid of their own self.

This thread is not an attack on any religion neither is it a form of argument about the existence of any God or deity. . This only is meant to address the idea of fear in the minds of people who see reason as something to be feared..

I laughed when i saw the post, not because it is really funny but because many of us passed through that and partly because the topic sounds funny..

"Help!!!" That word alone with exclamation marks depicts one fact and that is; "You are yelling for help" Ok so the thing is "Help on what?" or "from what?"

You must first identify why you are scared, why you think you need help and why you fear your own thoughts.
From the Op one can deduct that you are surprised at the conflict going on in your mind, you are witnessing what i mostly like to call "The emergence of reason" a severe conflict between reality and faith, reason and belief.

So tell me exactly, are you really afraid of your thoughts or you are afraid of your beliefs?
You are afraid of the said repercussions that your belief stipulates awaits unbelief? So first you need to determine what you are really afraid of ... Your thought or your beliefs?.

YOUR THOUGHT
Our thoughts are an extension of us, its a projection of what our inner self is and as your thought is you, are you really supposed to fear yourself?
I love maria curie words that said "Nothing in life is to be feared only understood, so now is the time to understand more so we can fear less"

Assuming from my deductions and you are afraid of your THOUGHTS (yourself) can you ever know yourself?

Your religions might frown on questions that stems from independent reason, but in you deny your reason, your thought, what exactly is left of you? A thoughtless robot that takes what ever he is told?

No, from my little knowledge of humans, it shouldn't be like that. We are capable of questions, reason, comparing and contrasting, weighing and even criticising objectively every idea that is not in coincide with our own reason..

So do not be afraid of your thoughts but rather embrace it, open up to yourself and let your questions play out, let your mind achieve independency of thought and reason and what ever your conclusion is, you will be sure is what you really wanted, you will be sure is what your reason agrees with.

Like Buddha said; Believe nothing, no matter where you heard or read it from unless it agrees with your own reason...

So take that chance of thinking for yourself, so much happiness, peace and fulfilment will come through it..

YOUR BELIEFS
This commonly is the most common factor that keeps people locked into their respective beliefs to the detriment of their own reasons.

I will be explicit here; An islamic scholar once stipulated that without murdering apostates, there would be no islam today... that is true but let us be even clearer here "Without the concept of hell, most religions won't boast of up to a 100million adherents. . Religions has derived so many means of subjecting their adherents to perpetual psychological fear therefore ensuring their continuation.

Nothing reveals the man made aspect of religions more than the sick minds that designed hell... And a God who operates under such sadistic premise is totally monstrous, evil and barbaric in nature not to talk of the egoistic and narcissistic idea of judgement.

Is a life time (perhaps 100years) worth an eternity of punishment? Is that in any sense justice? I think not, and this unjust idea has been fed to the public by various religions i always wonder if they don't really stop to wonder "How the attributes they fabricate for their different God concepts shows it off to be"

Your beliefs are still like i mentioned for thoughts nothing to be feared, only understood and the sooner you understand that people like you sat down to determine most of these things you believe now the better you will learn to fear it less and the better for your reason.

In all said and done the basis of religion is FEAR and not really Faith like they would have us think.

Even if you choose to believe by Faith which in itself is irrational because the strong convictions (faith) you have for something doesn't really make it true, it doesn't even make it probably true it only means you believe it whether it is true or not.

We either base our confidence on reason (evident probabilities, plausibilities, past experiences) or we base our beliefs in faith. which by definition is blind.

A dishonest position possible to have, because it is an assertion of stoic conviction that is assumed without reason and defended against all reason. If one needs to believe something by FAITH, their really is no reason to believe it at all.

It is not harmful to have faith but if someone genuinely believes it is right to believe things without reason or evidence then that person is open to every kind of dogma, whim, coercion or dangerous infectious idea that is around.

if someone is convinced that it is acceptable to base their beliefs in what is written in an ancient book or what some teachers tell them they must believe.

Then they will have no true freedom of thought, they will be trapped by their own faith into inconsistency and untruths because they will be unable to throw out false ideas when evidence against them comes along.

So what i am saying is, your thought or beliefs is not something to be feared but rather understood. understanding your own self is the first step there is to understanding the world.

So what ever thought your mind cultivates should be left to play out, your questions should be a stimulus for knowledge and a call for INDEPENDENT REASON. . Only then will you determine that which you will be sure you agree or believe...

Do not be afraid of your own thought which is in fact yourself or the questions you conceive because a subtle thought in error may yet give rise fruitful enquiry that can determine truth of great value
[/b]

15 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Reason by onetrack(m): 1:10pm On Aug 23, 2015
Good post. Many people are sheep because they want to be. I don't have a drop of faith anywhere in my body, never have, and I suppose I never will. Fear is irrelevant in this case.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fear Of Reason by Krystalzkris(f): 3:30pm On Aug 23, 2015
its not easy fighting an indoctrinated belief.. Really Having a hard time here

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Reason by HCpaul(m): 3:36pm On Aug 23, 2015
Hmm... The whole thing about God is that he will not force you to serve him. If he should have, you would have been a pastor now.
Re: The Fear Of Reason by johnydon22(m): 4:22pm On Aug 23, 2015
HCpaul:
Hmm... The whole thing about God is that he will not force you to serve him. If he should have, you would have been a pastor now.
Actually i could still be a pastor now if i want to the only thing holding me is that i am empathic and compassionate towards others and i find it better to give to the masses than extort their hard earned money in the name of a God..

"Believe me or burn in hell" that is abuse, [size=16]force[/size], sadistic and all round ludicrous...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Reason by plaetton: 4:26pm On Aug 23, 2015
johnydon22:
[b]I saw a thread by BRIGHTRIVERS https://www.nairaland.com/2545912/now-thinking-like-atheist where he voiced out he needs help because of the way his thoughts has been going lately and youngpol also identified to trail that line too and this shows that there are many like this who are afraid of their own questions, afraid of their own thoughts and remarkably afraid of their own self.

This thread is not an attack on any religion neither is it a form of argument about the existence of any God or deity. . This only is meant to address the idea of fear in the minds of people who see reason as something to be feared..

I laughed when i saw the post, not because it is really funny but because many of us passed through that and partly because the topic sounds funny..

"Help!!!" That word alone with exclamation marks depicts one fact and that is; "You are yelling for help" Ok so the thing is "Help on what?" or "from what?"

You must first identify why you are scared, why you think you need help and why you fear your own thoughts.
From the Op one can deduct that you are surprised at the conflict going on in your mind, you are witnessing what i mostly like to call "The emergence of reason" a severe conflict between reality and faith, reason and belief.

So tell me exactly, are you really afraid of your thoughts or you are afraid of your beliefs?
You are afraid of the said repercussions that your belief stipulates awaits unbelief? So first you need to determine what you are really afraid of ... Your thought or your beliefs?.

YOUR THOUGHT
Our thoughts are an extension of us, its a projection of what our inner self is and as your thought is you, are you really supposed to fear yourself?
I love maria curie words that said "Nothing in life is to be feared only understood, so now is the time to understand more so we can fear less"

Assuming from my deductions and you are afraid of your THOUGHTS (yourself) can you ever know yourself?

Your religions might frown on questions that stems from independent reason, but in you deny your reason, your thought, what exactly is left of you? A thoughtless robot that takes what ever he is told?

No, from my little knowledge of humans, it shouldn't be like that. We are capable of questions, reason, comparing and contrasting, weighing and even criticising objectively every idea that is not in coincide with our own reason..

So do not be afraid of your thoughts but rather embrace it, open up to yourself and let your questions play out, let your mind achieve independency of thought and reason and what ever your conclusion is, you will be sure is what you really wanted, you will be sure is what your reason agrees with.

Like Buddha said; Believe nothing, no matter where you heard or read it from unless it agrees with your own reason...

So take that chance of thinking for yourself, so much happiness, peace and fulfilment will come through it..

YOUR BELIEFS
This commonly is the most common factor that keeps people locked into their respective beliefs to the detriment of their own reasons.

I will be explicit here; An islamic scholar once stipulated that without murdering apostates, there would be no islam today... that is true but let us be even clearer here "Without the concept of hell, most religions won't boast of up to a 100million adherents. . Religions has derived so many means of subjecting their adherents to perpetual psychological fear therefore ensuring their continuation.

Nothing reveals the man made aspect of religions more than the sick minds that designed hell... And a God who operates under such sadistic premise is totally monstrous, evil and barbaric in nature not to talk of the egoistic and narcissistic idea of judgement.

Is a life time (perhaps 100years) worth an eternity of punishment? Is that in any sense justice? I think not, and this unjust idea has been fed to the public by various religions i always wonder if they don't really stop to wonder "How the attributes they fabricate for their different God concepts shows it off to be"

Your beliefs are still like i mentioned for thoughts nothing to be feared, only understood and the sooner you understand that people like you sat down to determine most of these things you believe now the better you will learn to fear it less and the better for your reason.

In all said and done the basis of religion is FEAR and not really Faith like they would have us think.

Even if you choose to believe by Faith which in itself is irrational because the strong convictions (faith) you have for something doesn't really make it true, it doesn't even make it probably true it only means you believe it whether it is true or not.

We either base our confidence on reason (evident probabilities, plausibilities, past experiences) or we base our beliefs in faith. which by definition is blind.

A dishonest position possible to have, because it is an assertion of stoic conviction that is assumed without reason and defended against all reason. If one needs to believe something by FAITH, their really is no reason to believe it at all.

It is not harmful to have faith but if someone genuinely believes it is right to believe things without reason or evidence then that person is open to every kind of dogma, whim, coercion or dangerous infectious idea that is around.

if someone is convinced that it is acceptable to base their beliefs in what is written in an ancient book or what some teachers tell them they must believe.

Then they will have no true freedom of thought, they will be trapped by their own faith into inconsistency and untruths because they will be unable to throw out false ideas when evidence against them comes along.

So what i am saying is, your thought or beliefs is not something to be feared but rather understood. understanding your own self is the first step there is to understanding the world.

So what ever thought your mind cultivates should be left to play out, your questions should be a stimulus for knowledge and a call for INDEPENDENT REASON. . Only then will you determine that which you will be sure you agree or believe...

Do not be afraid of your own thought which is in fact yourself or the questions you conceive because a subtle thought in error may yet give rise fruitful enquiry that can determine truth of great value
[/b]

Excellent post.

Most people are frightened by the emergence of reason ,because reason might force them to think harder than they are used to. Being spoonfed with bullshytes is much easier and requires no efforts.

Anyone, like Brighterivers, who has sensed the spark of reason within, should rejoice and count themselves lucky, because, it marks the beginning of one's emergence as a true homo sapien sapien (thinking human ).

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Reason by beejaay: 8:48pm On Aug 23, 2015
Interestin piece!!! The hardest job there is to try to reason with fear or eliminating it, but then its still the most interesting... Reasoning frees us

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fear Of Reason by GooseBaba: 10:54pm On Aug 23, 2015
Krystalzkris:

It's not going to be easy. But you can start by ." Reasoning it out objectively". From a sincere perspective ofcourse . Ask yourself, what does my faith provide for me that people with different faith or no faith at all lack..?

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of Reason by johnydon22(m): 11:42pm On Aug 23, 2015
Krystalzkris:
Yeah i know. . . But by realizing that these stoic beliefs and convictions are as a result of indoctrination, you have taken the first and most important step towards the emergence of independent reason.

My concern is for people to allow their own independent reason to run their lives instead, i am not really interested whether they choose to be atheistic or theistic . . the most important thing is to set your thoughts and reasons free..

It has never been easy, A little Help from others can be a huge thing.. You can reach out to me here or PMs if you have questions

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of Reason by Krystalzkris(f): 6:30am On Aug 24, 2015
johnydon22:
Yeah i know. . . But by realizing that these stoic beliefs and convictions are as a result of indoctrination, you have taken the first and most important step towards the emergence of independent reason.

My concern is for people to allow their own independent reason to run their lives instead, i am not really interested whether they choose to be atheistic or theistic . . the most important thing is to set your thoughts and reasons free..

It has never been easy, A little Help from others can be a huge thing.. You can reach out to me here or PMs if you have questions
thanks
Re: The Fear Of Reason by Scholar8200(m): 9:57am On Aug 24, 2015
johnydon22:
Actually i could still be a pastor now if i want to the only thing holding me is that i am empathic and compassionate towards others and i find it better to give to the masses than extort their hard earned money in the name of a God..

"[b]Believe me or burn in hell
" that is abuse, [size=16]force[/size], sadistic and all round ludicrous... [/b]
But that is not a command in the Bible! It's like this there are two rooms, one is illuminated and the other is dark with just a dim lantern and somebody says come to the illuminated room or remain in dark room and spoil your eye sight. We dont accuse the speaker of being sadistic for stating the obvious!?

Now hell was prepared for the devil and his angels;who were the latter? Those who followed him in his aspirations and were all partakers of the expulsion he got; same way, if we choose to follow the devil, it will be injustice to be denied his destination!

P.S.: You appear to believe all believers are so because of the fear of hell?!!! Not true. I am not and from my knowledge of church history I can say this applies to thousands to put it mildly. In fact, how many OT saints were saints because of the fear of hell? Did Abraham obey God because he feared hell? Did Daniel live the way he did because of hell? Did Joseph refuse sin for the same reason? Or was Elijah fearing hell when he put his life on the line to confront the enemies of God? who died as a martyr simply because he feared hell? Was Stephen martyred as a result of being a nuisance as a hellphobia-induced preacher? Or were Peter, Paul etc acting on hellophobia they and the rest rejoiced after being scourged and even expressed a willingness to die in His service?

How about the ones that were,"tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection: 36 and others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment: 37 they were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; 38 (of whom the world was not worthysmiley they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth. Hebrews 11:35b-38 ? Was all this for just, 'the fear of hell"

But vs 13

These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

What I find in all these is a love for God, the honour of His Name and commitment to His purposes!

And if reason is defined as
' the capacity for consciously making sense of things, applying logic, establishing and verifying facts, and changing or justifying practices, institutions, and beliefs based on new or existing information' (wikipedia) then it means the op has a different use and meaning for the word because what I find is personal positions marked by understandable subjectivity:
1. you already have taken a position; and
2. you focus premises that substantiate your position ( i.e. picking and choosing which information you want to use in the reasoning process hence it's no longer reasoning but expressing an opinion) eg i)there is no GOD, ii)if there is a GOD then in the spiritual, there is no satan hence I accuse God, iii) and if there is God and satan, then I reason not by Who God is but what I think He should be meaning if HE cannot satisfy MY expectations then He is not!!!

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of Reason by fearlesschicken: 11:41am On Aug 25, 2015
^^guy wetin do you na? This thread is not for debate abeg. Create your own thread for analysis!
Re: The Fear Of Reason by Scholar8200(m): 11:42am On Aug 25, 2015
^^^Noted.
Re: The Fear Of Reason by McSterling(m): 1:22pm On Aug 25, 2015
Krystalzkris:
I had a hard time too. Now I am free. Fight on!

(1) (Reply)

How Komas Was Duped By The Foreigners Through Religion / An Angel Sighted Playing Sax Today In A Church.....mm / False Gospel Of Prosperity By Sadhu Sundar Selveraj

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.