Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,366 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:19 AM

The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe (11777 Views)

8 false Teachings by Churches And The Biblical Truths Concerning them. / Reply To TB Joshua's Return Of Tithe. / If You Had A Chance To Live In The Biblical Times; Who Would You Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by kokoye(m): 2:38pm On Aug 16, 2010
Pls guys, I need some bible-reading and discerning person to tell me what 'tithe' really means, according to the scriptures.

I came across some things in the bible which I really have never heard from most pastors and I think most people are truly missing it.

Please tell what what tithe truly means and what should be done with it?

thanks in advance.

My people perish for lack of knowledge.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by PastorAIO: 2:58pm On Aug 16, 2010
someone should refer this guy to the relevant threads that have been on NL.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by JeSoul(f): 2:59pm On Aug 16, 2010
Kokoye,
  oga there's a plethora of tithe-related topics already in existence now . . . is there something new you'd like to focus on?

http://www.google.com.ng/cse?cx=partner-pub-6465801557104924%3Abko28ysgdng&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=tithe&siteurl=www.nairaland.com%2Fnigeria%2Fboard-17.0.html
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by JeSoul(f): 3:00pm On Aug 16, 2010
Pastor how bodi these days? smiley
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by kokoye(m): 3:27pm On Aug 16, 2010
Thanks for the referrals.

I went thru some of the threads but did not see any reference to Deuteronomy 14.

. . or maybe I am missing something.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by JeSoul(f): 3:52pm On Aug 16, 2010
kokoye:

I went thru some of the threads but did not see any reference to Deuteronomy 14.

Try these threads, tithes were discussed extensively:
To Tithe or Not to Tithe?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-272.0.html

The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113108.0.html
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by PastorAIO: 3:58pm On Aug 16, 2010
JeSoul:

Pastor how bodi these days? smiley

All the better for having you back. If you know as Nairaland take dry when you no dey here . . . ? Anyhow, glad to have you back.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by anonimi: 4:38pm On Aug 16, 2010
kokoye:

I guess you must be referring to the portin sub-titled as the law of tithes in [url=http://www.christnotes.org/bible.php?q=deuteronmy+14%3A+22-29&ver=kjv]Deut.14:22-29[/url]

[
i]22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year. 23 And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always. 24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the Lord thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the Lord thy God hath blessed thee: 25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose: 26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: [1] and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household, 27 And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee. 28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates: 29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.[/i]

the closest thing to this is the harvest festival practised by some churches.
you may also want to read malachi 1 especially verses 6-12 to enable you put the overflogged malachi 3:8-12 into its proper context.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by JeSoul(f): 4:49pm On Aug 16, 2010
Pastor AIO:

All the better for having you back. If you know as Nairaland take dry when you no dey here . . . ? Anyhow, glad to have you back.
Pastor you always flatter me too much smiley but I'm not complaining sha kiss
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by MyJoe: 5:09pm On Aug 16, 2010
Ha, Jesoul! Akwaba!
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by kokoye(m): 7:11pm On Aug 16, 2010
anonimi:

I guess you must be referring to the portin sub-titled as the law of tithes in [url=http://www.christnotes.org/bible.php?q=deuteronmy+14%3A+22-29&ver=kjv]Deut.14:22-29[/url]

[
the closest thing to this is the harvest festival practised by some churches.
you may also want to read malachi 1 especially verses 6-12 to enable you put the overflogged malachi 3:8-12 into its proper context.

I actually want to make reference to Deut 14: verses 23 and 26.

To my understanding, this means we can eat / use our tithe to buy whatever we like in the prescence of the Lord.

So why are we required to instead drop these tithes to the churches for their upkeep??

verses 27 - 29 also talks about the levites . .so that means there is a provision for our leaders.

Again, am I missing something?
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by anonimi: 9:02am On Aug 17, 2010
kokoye:

To my understanding, this means we can eat / use our tithe to buy whatever we like in the prescence of the Lord.

So why are we required to instead drop these tithes to the churches for their upkeep??

verses 27 - 29 also talks about the levites . .so that means there is a provision for our leaders.

Two conditions are imposed by the passage under reference in order to also make provision for these religious leaders/pastors/ex-levites etc:

* they should have no income generating assets/activities
(because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,)
* you must also provide for
the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow

IF you want to base your Christian giving on this OT text.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by PastorAIO: 9:17am On Aug 17, 2010
kokoye:

What that passage clearly states is that the Tithe is a shared meal that the israelites ate in dedication to God. This is a common ceremony in most religions around the world. Meals are eaten in honour of Gods everywhere, just like sacrifices were done everywhere as a central part of all religions. The Israelites did the same and that is the origin of the Tithes.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Image123(m): 2:11pm On Aug 17, 2010
[b]N[/b]ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of simple truth.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by KunleOshob(m): 2:36pm On Aug 17, 2010
@image
Why don't you offer an explaination given the quoted scriptures and stop talking gibberish as usual.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Image123(m): 3:13pm On Aug 17, 2010
^because circles aren't exactly my favorite shapes.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by marcus1234: 3:13pm On Aug 17, 2010
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by PastorAIO: 4:02pm On Aug 17, 2010
Image123:

your favourite shape must be a straight line plunging down into the dark cesspit of utter perdition.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by kokoye(m): 4:26pm On Aug 17, 2010
Pastor AIO:

What that passage clearly states is that the Tithe is a shared meal that the israelites ate in dedication to God. This is a common ceremony in most religions around the world. Meals are eaten in honour of Gods everywhere, just like sacrifices were done everywhere as a central part of all religions. The Israelites did the same and that is the origin of the Tithes.

OK. so why are we not told to enjoy our own tithes in God's presence?

Why are we asked to submit it to the church?

Again I am referring to Deut 14: verses 23 and 26. I need some clarification on this please . . or else I will go all out on churches!
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by KunleOshob(m): 4:45pm On Aug 17, 2010
^^^
@kokoye
Becos most tithe preaching churches have twisted the biblical meaning of tithes and manipulated it to suit their love for filthy lucre. The truth is that the doctrine of tithes is the biggest fraud in world history and muguns continue to fall for it till this day. That aside there is no scriptural basis for tithing in christianity today, tithing was never taught to christians by Jesus or the apostles how much less the fraudulent version being pimped today. You may also wish to read hebrews 7:5-19 were tithing was officially set aside for christians and anulled. It was even described as a weak, useless and unprofitable law.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by kokoye(m): 4:55pm On Aug 17, 2010
Kunle,

Thank you. all others have nicely avoided my main question.

Actually, I know these things - I just wondered why so many other christians have not (or choose not to) taken time to read and understand my quoted verses. Instead, they ignore their God-given common sense and let pastors think for them. All I have ever really heard most naija pastors talk about tithe is from Malachi.

Like you, I grew up on the old school Orita-mefa baptist church in Ibadan.

Hopefully, we as christians will someday realise that we are prophets and hence will be able to discern the truth ourselves.

God bless.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Image123(m): 6:10pm On Aug 17, 2010
Pastor AIO:

your favourite shape must be a straight line plunging down into the dark cesspit of utter perdition.
In strolls the tithephobics, linking perdition with tithes. Never learning and never able to come to know simple truth.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Image123(m): 6:15pm On Aug 17, 2010
kokoye:

OK. so why are we not told to enjoy our own tithes in God's presence?

Why are we asked to submit it to the church?

Again I am referring to Deut 14: verses 23 and 26. I need some clarification on this please . . or else I will go all out on churches!

Is this a threat or comedy? Why do tithephobics have hypocrisy in common?
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by anonimi: 6:36pm On Aug 17, 2010
Image123:

In strolls the tithephobics, linking perdition with tithes. Never learning and never able to come to know simple truth.

where the linkage come from oga image
you say you no like circles, dem give you one alternative, you come dey hala, come dey see links, linkages and linking

Image123:

you for just say you no like straight lines also but you prefer, for example, rectangles, squares, triangles, spheres etc etc etc wink
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by KunleOshob(m): 7:01pm On Aug 17, 2010
@kokoye
Obviously you know me from way back, nice to know that grin the truth is that the fraudulent doctrine of tithes is still being perpetuated despite it's extremely poor scriptural foundation becos the preachers preaching it are benefitting from it and the sheeple are tooo deluded and brainwashed to ask simple questions.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by kokoye(m): 7:46pm On Aug 17, 2010
^^^ We actually attended a Royal Ambassadors camp together @ Idi-ishin, if I remember correctly.

Like some 20-something years ago!!
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by anonimi: 3:16pm On Aug 18, 2010
Image123:

oga image, i just dey wonder wetin we go fit consider as acceptable opposite of your new word up there in bold. How about:

* tithemaniacs

or maybe

*tithemongers

feel free to TYC that is to say Take Your Choice
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Image123(m): 3:52pm On Aug 18, 2010
anonimi:

oga image, i just dey wonder wetin we go fit consider as acceptable opposite of your new word up there in bold. How about:

* tithemaniacs

or maybe

*tithemongers

feel free to TYC that is to say Take Your Choice
I'm not exactly a 'wordsmith' so i can't say. But tithephobic isn't a new term on nl, that's one of what i'm saying 'never learning'.
It's common knowledge that antitithe fellows have a lot of fear/phobia for tithes, either as a word or in its usage or effect. So the term tithephobic is just what you are, TITHEPHOBIC. On the other hand, tithemania may well suit as a synonym for you as another peculiarity of tithephobics, apart from hypocrisy, is a craze and zeal to discuss tithe. They're in a mania over tithe.
I'm told monger means to trade or deal in something, so tithemonger as a word is invalid or crass imo.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by KunleOshob(m): 7:58am On Aug 19, 2010
^^^
So going by your twisted logic, is tithe mongering not a trade? Is not a source of illicit income for those who preach itin the business concerns which they falsely label as church?
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Image123(m): 9:15am On Aug 19, 2010
^
Don't you ever learn? O, almost forgot, never learning. I just said that the word 'tithemonger/tithemongering' is INVALID in my opinion. So, what are you on about 'my twisted logic'. Abi you don anoint yourself with bacchus this morning?lol
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:08am On Aug 19, 2010
Image123:

^
Don't you ever learn? O, almost forgot, never learning. I just said that the word 'tithemonger/tithemongering' is INVALID in my opinion. So, what are you on about 'my twisted logic'. Abi you don anoint yourself with bacchus this morning?lol

Bacchus ke? Isn't it too early for him to anoint himself this morning? Na only to gargle when him dey brush teeth and that's if him no take style swallow. shocked
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Tonyet1(m): 12:33pm On Aug 19, 2010
Poster,

Tithe is still very much biblical and relevant till date. . .! smiley smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Can A Christian Be Truly POSSESSED By An Evil Spirit? What The Bible Truly Says / Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts / Does Masturbation Hinders One's Progress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.