Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,668 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1035) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4397182 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1032) (1033) (1034) (1035) (1036) (1037) (1038) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wordheart(m): 9:21am On Sep 15, 2018
Hello. Please, I need a flatmate for 2bedroom around yaba/somolu/surulere/Gbagada

I'm willing to share and I'm serious.

Reply please.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hajivince(m): 12:56pm On Sep 15, 2018

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sirkunzy55: 10:58pm On Sep 15, 2018
A five duplex apartment for sale
Location- gwarinpa abuja, close to Charlie boy's house
price-50m
Contact- 08163044018

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:30am On Sep 16, 2018
Chekitaut:
Know the tonnage of Granite brought to you. If you can not trust your supplier.
As the truck arrive, let the goods the level take the depth, the length & the breath in meters multiple LxBxH then multiple by Density of Granite 1.4 what you get is exact tonnage you are receiving.

Thanks for this, I've been having serious battles with suppliers. Does the 1.4 work for every granite type?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ChiefSupplier55(m): 6:52am On Sep 16, 2018
Rubbiish:

Do u add extra to their workmanship cost?
This is not good.
Workers should not be saddled with the responsibility of paying omoniles...Building owners should sort it out.

Yea I think you are right that is nt suppose to be
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ChiefSupplier55(m): 6:54am On Sep 16, 2018
spyder880:

Thanks for this, I've been having serious battles with suppliers. Does the 1.4 work for every granite type?

yea that right

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 9:17am On Sep 16, 2018
bixton:

By the bold its likely not achieveable .

If you choose to say "good" quality you can add about #5--#7M to the initial amount.

Every quality comes with a taste, feel and how it appeals to the individual.

If I might ask Sir, what constitutes "high quality" when the house has been roofed?
Is it the level of finishing or the price of furniture and fixtures the house gets?
I really want to know if high quality means expensive quality.

Let's take for an instance (for. 5bed duplex), if I do the following will it be classified as good and not 'high quality'?

1. Good plastering and screeding
2. Casement window and embedded burglaries
3. Simple but Elegant pop
4. Mixed Spanish and Italian tiles (not the overtly expensive ones)
5. Paint with Caplux or Meyer
6. Good kitchen cabinets (mdf) and wardrobes
7. Toilet fittings (mid price range and quality)
8. Iron rails for stairs and balcony.

Now if I do all these with 15 to 20m after building and roofing the house with 15m, it still doesn't qualify as "high"?

Pls my question is for educational purposes.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 12:59pm On Sep 16, 2018
ceelog:

If I might ask Sir, what constitutes "high quality" when the house has been roofed?
Is it the level of finishing or the price of furniture and fixtures the house gets?

Let's take for an instance (for. 5bed duplex), if I do the following will it be classified as good and not 'high quality'?

Now if I do all these with 15 to 20m after building and roofing the house with 15m, it still doesn't qualify as "high"?

It has to do with finishing and not the carcass.

With a value of 20M, its considered good quality.
Quality comes with grade and a price tag.

Some where on this thread a pro said he'll charge #50M but #45M will still do wonders. Because he knows the quality, grade and aesthetic feel the structure will give.

Now If one considers a duplex built/finishing with #20M as high quality, will that same duplex be on the same high quality if built with #50M?

Distinction is quite different from excellent.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 1:39pm On Sep 16, 2018
bixton:

Some where on this thread a pro said he'll charge #50M but #45M will still do wonders. Because he knows the quality, grade and aesthetic feel the structure will give.

Now If one considers a duplex built/finishing with #20M as high quality, will that same duplex be on the same high quality if built with #50M?

lol @d last sentence
True and we do mistaken the two
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 2:45pm On Sep 16, 2018
ceelog:

To me Quality Depends on How Satisfied You are sir with what you have done, because Cost of quality is almost infinite. It depends on how you feel with the Quality you have done.

The List above for some people is High Quality. E.G. while for some people is good Quality, also for some people is Average Quality while obviously for some is Poor Quality.

Some of the List above is what Constitutes the Level of Quality, as the Items in those list varies a Lot with Price.

WINDOWS.
You have Imported Frames, Tower Frames, Leganise, EBM and Some others. They all vary in price.

POP:
Certain Designs are more expensive than others as they eat up materials and Labour time more than others. Some POP Designs eat up x2 of materials required to do other simpler ones

TILING:
Thats obvious na, you have tiles of 1000/Sq.m as well as tiles of 5000/Sq.m. I have installed tiles before that cost me 17,000/Sq.m to Purchase. So Quality differs.

Toilet Fittings
A China Twford W.C and Wash Basin Bowl is 22,000, There are UK Standard twford W.C and Wash Basin that cost N44,000. also there are TWFord W.C and Wash Basin that also Cost N180,000 as well as N75,000. They are just vary Largely. It depends on what you want.

Note oo, the Higher the Price the better the Look and feel oooo. You cant compare.

So quality of finish starts from Roofing and Windows to complete finish. So you can have a house that was Built for 37m still finish for 80m. it all depends on quality of finishing

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ThatHistoryGuy(m): 3:48pm On Sep 16, 2018
skimanski:

To me Quality Depends on How Satisfied You are sir with what you have done, because Cost of quality is almost infinite. It depends on how you feel with the Quality you have done.

The List above for some people is High Quality. E.G. while for some people is good Quality, also for some people is Average Quality while obviously for some is Poor Quality.

Some of the List above is what Constitutes the Level of Quality, as the Items in those list varies a Lot with Price.

WINDOWS.
You have Imported Frames, Tower Frames, Leganise, EBM and Some others. They all vary in price.

POP:
Certain Designs are more expensive than others as they eat up materials and Labour time more than others. Some POP Designs eat up x2 of materials required to do other simpler ones

TILING:
Thats obvious na, you have tiles of 1000/Sq.m as well as tiles of 5000/Sq.m. I have installed tiles before that cost me 17,000/Sq.m to Purchase. So Quality differs.

Toilet Fittings
A China Twford W.C and Wash Basin Bowl is 22,000, There are UK Standard twford W.C and Wash Basin that cost N44,000. also there are TWFord W.C and Wash Basin that also Cost N180,000 as well as N75,000. They are just vary Largely. It depends on what you want.

Note oo, the Higher the Price the better the Look and feel oooo. You cant compare.

So quality of finish starts from Roofing and Windows to complete finish. So you can have a house that was Built for 37m still finish for 80m. it all depends on quality of finishing

Very fair analysis sir
But sometimes good quality doesn't imply high cost
Using the tiles you talked about for example
Mr A can get a sqm of 75x150 Spanish porcelain for 17,000 while Mr B gets a 60x60 Spanish vitrified tiles for 8000 per sqm . For Mr A he has gotten a good quality which is true but Mr B has gotten a better quality even with much lower cost.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 4:03pm On Sep 16, 2018
ThatHistoryGuy:

Very fair analysis sir
Mr A can get a sqm of 75x150 Spanish porcelain for 17,000 while Mr B gets a 60x60 Spanish vitrified tiles for 8000 per sqm . For Mr A he has gotten a good quality which is true but Mr B has gotten a better quality even with much lower cost.

Like I said, quality depends on your level of satisfaction. If you feel Buying a Ford Raptor for N25m will give you better feel of quality than buying a G-wagon of N47m. You are very ok then. Not just everyone will agree. It just depends on you personally.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ThatHistoryGuy(m): 4:07pm On Sep 16, 2018
skimanski:

Like I said, quality depends on your level of satisfaction. If you feel Buying a Ford Raptor for N25m will give you better feel of quality than buying a G-wagon of N47m. You are very ok then. Not just everyone will agree. It just depends on you personally.

#fact
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 4:09pm On Sep 16, 2018
skimanski:

Cool!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ChiefSupplier55(m): 4:25pm On Sep 16, 2018
ThatHistoryGuy:

Very fair analysis sir

Yea I agree with you, sometimes some people buy something qualitative in a low cost why some people buy something not that qualitative with a high cost

Let take for an instance "in my business" some when they come they will tell they dont want china tiles. That it doesn't have quality not knowing that there are some china tiles more better than Spain in quality and even more less in price too.

So you see it all about knowledge: know more about what right you want to go for

Also it by choice making the right choices

By that you may spend less and yet have good or the best quality you may spend 20m and still get the best quality you want mayb get the same quality as a person using 45m/50m has use or mayb nt exactly bt close

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ThatHistoryGuy(m): 4:28pm On Sep 16, 2018
ChiefSupplier55:

Yea I agree with you, sometimes some people buy something qualitative in a low cost why some people buy something not that qualitative with a high cost

Let take for an instance "in my business" some when they come they will tell they dont want china tiles. That it doesn't have quality not knowing that there are some china tiles more better than Spain in quality and even more less in price too.

So you see it all about knowledge: know more about what right you want to go for

Also it by choice making the right choices

By that you may spend less and yet have good or the best quality you may spend 20m and still get the best quality you want mayb get the same quality as a person using 45m/50m has use or mayb nt exactly bt close

#fact

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 7:15pm On Sep 16, 2018
spyder880:

Yes

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Anonymous0007: 8:08pm On Sep 16, 2018
I know this is not the right forum but I need answer to this...

What is the next step to take when NUC or ARCON did not accredited Architecture in your school.

Can one still proceed to do Masters in Architecture in a school where the course is Accredited in hope to be able to apply for the ARCON PPE exams.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 11:23pm On Sep 16, 2018
bixton:

Thanks Sir for your response. Also I thank Skimanski for his too.

I understand the points that were made where "quality is relative to the viewer" and that "more expensive items have a better feel".
I have observed from building and Diy channels (permit me to bring them in) that the oyinbo people (whom we derive all items from) are seeking to achieve high quality standards not by price but by aesthetics and functionality.

You see builds like "kitchen makeover that look like you spent 50k UsD" or "high end small houses built under 50k usd".
They seem to drive for perfection at lower prices.

I have a friend who did a replica of the psquare TV console (using high gloss hf too) and I am guessing he spent less than 30% of what psquare was charged. Does it make his own lower quality

I totally agree some items will be more expensive than others but I think mid price range of things with the best quality should be also regarded as quality.

Well but as Skima said..."quality it is in the eye of the beholder thus it's true validity remains questionable"

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 11:25pm On Sep 16, 2018
Thanks Sir for your response. Also I thank Skimanski for his too.

I understand the points that were made where "quality is relative to the viewer" and that "more expensive items have a better feel".
I have observed from building and Diy channels (permit me to bring them in) that the oyinbo people (whom we derive all items from) are seeking to achieve high quality standards not by price but by aesthetics and functionality.

You see builds like "kitchen makeover that look like you spent 50k UsD" or "high end small houses built under 50k usd".
They seem to drive for perfection at lower prices.

I have a friend who did a replica of the psquare TV console (using high gloss hf too) and I am guessing he spent less than 30% of what psquare was charged. Does it make his own lower quality

I totally agree some items will be more expensive than others but I think mid price range of things with the best quality should be also regarded as quality.

Well but as Skima said..."quality it is in the eye of the beholder thus it's true validity remains questionable"
bixton:

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 11:37pm On Sep 16, 2018
In one of your builds (can't remember which) you employed Nigerian tiles (assuming it's cheaper) flawlessly and it worked like magic.

Let's say in some aspects of the finishing you did such for some areas and then for some noticeable things like chandeliers, electrical fittings, furniture the person goes over the top. I bet you people will say the house was generally finished with high quality.

I have seen homes people claim to finish with humongous amounts of money...but you will spite it when u enter. And I am sure there are homes if we were told were finished with 80m and not the true value of 40m...many will fall for the lie.

Thanks for your comments however. We should strive for the best quality of any choice of material we need and at best prices.

skimanski:

WINDOWS.

POP:

TILING:

Toilet Fittings

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 8:13am On Sep 17, 2018
ceelog:
In one of your builds (can't remember which) you employed Nigerian tiles (assuming it's cheaper) flawlessly and it worked like magic.

Let's say in some aspects of the finishing you did such for some areas and then for some noticeable things like chandeliers, electrical fittings, furniture the person goes over the top. I bet you people will say the house was generally finished with high quality.

I have seen homes people claim to finish with humongous amounts of money...but you will spite it when u enter. And I am sure there are homes if we were told were finished with 80m and not the true value of 40m...many will fall for the lie.

Thanks for your comments however. We should strive for the best quality of any choice of material we need and at best prices.

Quality of Materials is what I was initially talking about sir. Not quality of Workmanship. Quality of Workmanship is a Different discuss for another day. That one fit be like I dey preach. Because When I said, a House you think can finish for N45m if you give me N50m and Leave me, is that if I finish it with N50m It might Look like its finished for N70m.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 8:14am On Sep 17, 2018
skimanski:

Quality of Materials is what I was initially talking about sir. Not quality of Workmanship. Quality of Workmanship is a Different discuss for another day. That one fit be like I dey preach. Because When I said, a House you think can finish for N45m if you give me N50m and Leave me, is that if I finish it with N50m It might Look like its finished for N70m.
lol
Skimanski baba
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hajivince(m): 8:50am On Sep 17, 2018
I so much love this thread!...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 8:57am On Sep 17, 2018
Both qualities can't be seperated if we are going to class a build's quality.
And I agree I would rather choose workmanship quality over product quality. Workmanship quality goes a long way in determining final finishing of a house at lower costs

skimanski:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Iruosonobrugwhe: 8:59am On Sep 17, 2018
This is half plot in delta where 100*50 is standard plot

segzy14:

It is not up to half plot.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hajivince(m): 11:26am On Sep 17, 2018
Good Morning Everyone

To just add to what have been said, I think finishes is subjected to a client taste. It is similar to someone buying Eva water on the street of Lagos for 100bucks while it is been sold @ KFC for 200bucks while Eko Hotel & suits can decide to sell it for 500bucks.

Also, I've met a client that wants all his finishes to have a lifetime warranty and the price for a water Tap alone is outrageous let alone other accessories.

A 30-40m property can also be developed for way more depending on client preferences.

But after that being said, I think it is best to work within clients budget & help to save cost to the bearest minimum while still delivering quality services. Thank you

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by educhigo: 1:01pm On Sep 17, 2018
please friends urgent answer needed,house much carpenter will take fix only wood for this building 3unit flat ,the location is delta state asaba,not include zinc

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Iruosonobrugwhe: 1:25pm On Sep 17, 2018
For those of us who supervise big projects, what do you do when accosted by omoniles/family who owned the land when they insist certain jobs must be given to them? That is after paying deve(development fees), they insist that the bricklayer, masons, etc must come from the community whereas you have competent hands that you plan to use?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 1:40pm On Sep 17, 2018
Hajivince:
Good Morning Everyone

To just add to what have been said, I think finishes is subjected to a client taste. It is similar to someone buying Eva water on the street of Lagos for 100bucks while it is been sold @ KFC for 200bucks while Eko Hotel & suits can decide to sell it for 500bucks.

Also, I've met a client that wants all his finishes to have a lifetime warranty and the price for a water Tap alone is outrageous let alone other accessories.

A 30-40m property can also be developed for way more depending on client preferences.

But after that being said, I think it is best to work within clients budget & help to save cost to the bearest minimum while still delivering quality services. Thank you

Gbam!!!! At the end na wetin you term as quality to you na e be quality. Because Your pocket will determine what you term as quality everytime. Some times 35m will be quality finish while by Gods Grace soon, 45m Wont even be quality to you again because your level don still pass like that.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 1:41pm On Sep 17, 2018
Iruosonobrugwhe:
For those of us who supervise big projects, what do you do when accosted by omoniles/family who owned the land when they insist certain jobs must be given to them? That is after paying deve(development fees), they insist that the bricklayer, masons, etc must come from the community whereas you have competent hands that you plan to use?

Simple, You tell them you have your people. except its labour then you can use them, but for artisans , you already have your team. Them no dey quarrel put

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sako28: 2:01pm On Sep 17, 2018
Ogas in the house, which come first. Electrical fittings or painting.

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1032) (1033) (1034) (1035) (1036) (1037) (1038) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Aduragbemi45(m), Beframia, Holyguy2016, jameslojohn(m), BabaChicago(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.