Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:16 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1050) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4370091 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1047) (1048) (1049) (1050) (1051) (1052) (1053) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 12:18am On Oct 12, 2018
gbadexy:
A distinguished member of the property section family did post a quotation for wall screeding for verification and I indicated interest to supply at a competitive price and @ rotech77 graciously attested to my ability to supply it.
To God be the glory, the screeding has been concluded and here is a link to the thread for it for information purpose.
https://www.nairaland.com/4783553/wall-screeding-ready-mix-putty#72001687

good job right there chief..

http://twinstecks.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 2:31am On Oct 12, 2018
Kaybthaniels:
Boss it's not about the price for labor & materials that am even complaining about, its the measurements each of them came up with after viewing the floor plan and going to measure in person.

Some of these artisans sha. I am inclined to think or believe some of them use elastic measuring tapes. grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kaybthaniels(m): 4:47am On Oct 12, 2018
My brother it's really frustrating especially for those of us in diaspora, most of these artisans come for your head once they see you are communicating from outside Nigeria, forgetting that some of us work double shifts, do multiple jobs to save enough money to build something tangible back home, May God help us all.

alstacs:

Some of these artisans sha. I am inclined to think or believe some of them use elastic measuring tapes. grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 4:57am On Oct 12, 2018
gbadexy:
A distinguished member of the property section family did post a quotation for wall screeding for verification and I indicated interest to supply at a competitive price and @ rotech77 graciously attested to my ability to supply it.
To God be the glory, the screeding has been concluded and here is a link to the thread for it for information purpose.

Oh! Good of you bro,keep it up sir..

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 6:46am On Oct 12, 2018
rotecch77:

Oh! Good of you bro,keep it up sir..
Thank you very much sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 6:50am On Oct 12, 2018
twinskenny:

good job right there chief..

http://twinstecks.com
Thank you sir. we should have a thumbs up smiley here smiley.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 6:53am On Oct 12, 2018
So came across rhis polystrene used for window hoods.
Hv heard abt it being used for parapet..but didnt know they hv gone a step further..its seems to be cheaper than the regular concrete parapet n also less weight .

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 7:32am On Oct 12, 2018
Bwaal:
please check ur mail
replied
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Cceramicaltd: 10:25am On Oct 12, 2018
Kaybthaniels:
My brother it's really frustrating especially for those of us in diaspora, most of these artisans come for your head once they see you are communicating from outside Nigeria, forgetting that some of us work double shifts, do multiple jobs to save enough money to build something tangible back home, May God help us all.

Hi, Kay, in case you need bathtubs, jacuzzi, security doors, tiles and modern kitchen solution in your new home, C-ceramica is the best place to be. You can check us on IG @cceramicaltd or a physical inspection at 164F Akin Adesola Victoria Island Lagos state.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Cceramicaltd: 10:27am On Oct 12, 2018
Corrinthians:
Please Mufutai55, what can one build (residential apartment) on a plot of land measuring 75/50?

Was told such is available in a choice location. Want to go check it out but I need to know if I can build anything reasonable on it.

Need details as regards number of bedrooms, cars, little garden it can take.
Hi, Corins, in case you need bathtubs, jacuzzi, security doors, tiles and modern kitchen solution in your new home, C-ceramica is the best place to be. You can check us on IG @cceramicaltd or a physical inspection at 164F Akin Adesola Victoria Island Lagos state.
Thanks.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Cceramicaltd: 11:19am On Oct 12, 2018
Kaybthaniels:
Boss, do you still have the contact of the person that did this your tank stand?, I will appreciate if you share his contact info with me...I am needing one for a 3bed flat too..Thanks

You also need this for your 3 bedroom flat. For you and your kids

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Talk2iyfy: 1:39pm On Oct 12, 2018
Please guys advice needed on the septic tank and soak away. The septic tank has been casted and plastered on all sides but the engineer said we shouldn't plaster the sides of the soak away that it's a waste of money while some other people are suggesting it's to be plastered that water is supposed to drain only from the ground of the soak away. If not it will weaken the hollow blocks faster in years to come. Thanks for advice

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:46pm On Oct 12, 2018
Cceramicaltd:
You also need this for your 3 bedroom flat. For you and your kids

Please no any form of advertisement is allowed on this thread. Thank you.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:48pm On Oct 12, 2018
Talk2iyfy:
Please guys advice needed on the septic tank and soak away. The septic tank has been casted and plastered on all sides but the engineer said we shouldn't plaster the sides of the soak away that it's a waste of money while some other people are suggesting it's to be plastered that water is supposed to drain only from the ground of the soak away. If not it will weaken the hollow blocks faster in years to come. Thanks for advice

Yes. No need to plaster soak-away.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Alkanelly: 1:50pm On Oct 12, 2018
bixton:

Were you not given a bill of material/labour schedule per stage/milestone?
Is there any variation if the above was given ?
Do you need a neutral person to pay a visit to the site if need be?

I have bill of material which was around 3.5M but I find it to be inaccurate, I am the buying the materials and bring it to site. I had my dad and cousin over see the project in my absence. I am just concern with how much money the housing is taking.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Alkanelly: 1:52pm On Oct 12, 2018
nameoh:

what kind of soil is the land .

The soil is very solid, it is not a waterlog area.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Alkanelly: 1:54pm On Oct 12, 2018
Hajivince:

I think you need a neutral person to help checkmate what is happening on site
I have my dad who was doing the buying of materials for me and my cause is also there in the absence of my dad.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 2:17pm On Oct 12, 2018
Alkanelly:

I have bill of material which was around 3.5M but I find it to be inaccurate, I am the buying the materials and bring it to site. I had my dad and cousin over see the project in my absence. I am just concern with how much money the housing is taking.

If you were given a bill of #3.5M then that should be okay for the first milestone of a twin 2 bedroom.
If there be any variation it should be within #300k, which solely depends on how you source for materials, logistics, off loading (loading) of materials to your site and planning.

Please if I may ask, what size of rods did they use for your columns (pillars)?
Your previous pix of your building foundation was not entirely clear from my end.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tevanso(m): 3:17pm On Oct 12, 2018
Alkanelly:
Hello fellow Nairalanders, please am concerned about my building project in port harcourt, the building has swallowed almost 4M and we haven't even started the oversite concrete, the building is 21.71m X 11.58m. so far we are filling the backfilling the rooms and getting ready to start oversite concrete slab. Note: this is a 4 unit of 2 bedroom all ensuite. should the cost be upto what it has taken? i am not in the country, could it be that something is not right? please i need advice.
get an external person to over see what is happening on ur site. Let him go once in a while and see what is Being done.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johnadelaide00: 5:18pm On Oct 12, 2018
If i am correct Measurement should be Length(m) × Breadth(m)= Sqm. E.g From drawing 2500 by 3000=2.5 x 3.0 = 7.5sqm
Kaybthaniels:
I have had 3 POP professionals go measure my site for POP ceiling installation, All came back with different measurements, One saying he measured 118.5 sqm, another 99.8sqm, the other 127sqm, each higher than the other, The 4th guy is on his way now, It's really frustrating embarassed
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 6:02pm On Oct 12, 2018
gbadexy:
A distinguished member of the property section family @teebawse did post a quotation for wall screeding for verification and I indicated interest to supply at a competitive price and @ rotech77 graciously attested to my ability to supply it.

Yourself and a few Contractors here have proved your worth, withyour job so l am not surprised.
You are honest, knowledgeable about your trade and you dont come with a big knife to slice the pockets of your client!
What else does anyone need from a Contractor?

Please keep it up and dont let success get into your head and always remember your humble beginnings.

Endorsed.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 6:20pm On Oct 12, 2018
Daboomb:

Yourself and a few Contractors here have proved your worth, withyour job so l am not surprised.
You are honest, knowledgeable about your trade and you dont come with a big knife to slice the pockets of your client!

Please keep it up and dont let success get into your head and always remember your humble beginnings.

Endorsed.
Thank you very much sir, I'm humbled by your kind words sir.
I could never take the patronage and support for granted knowing how easy it is to lose hard earned reputation.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:49pm On Oct 12, 2018
Daboomb:

Endorsed.

He really outdid himself and am glad the job came out nice,he was always there to update me on the progress of the screeding and make sure the screeders sent picture update always,he a very reliable gentleman and I recommend him any day anytime his putty worked wonders and am very pleased with the outcome

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 9:24pm On Oct 12, 2018
Teebawse:

He really outdid himself and am glad the job came out nice,he was always there to update me on the progress of the screeding and make sure the screeders sent picture update always,he a very reliable gentleman and I recommend him any day anytime his putty worked wonders and am very pleased with the outcome

Bravo.

It's seems the next stage is tiling and other finishings don't forget us as we discussed last time
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:34pm On Oct 12, 2018
rotecch77:

Bravo.

It's seems the next stage is tiling and other finishings don't forget us as we discussed last time

Your up next on the list boss,just finishing up with the fencing first so I can secure the place then we can proceed with the tiling
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ChiefSupplier55(m): 9:40pm On Oct 12, 2018
Good evening people
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:57pm On Oct 12, 2018
Talk2iyfy:

No need to plaster soak away is cutting corners. Best practice is to plaster fully especially where columns weren't introduced. You should plaster and use a sealant.

Over time, the waste water will weaken the blocks which may lead to collapse. Plastering protests the soak away walls from seapage damage. The "soak away" mechanism should be constructed at the bottom of the tank. See photos.

Expecting the walls to act as sponge to soak away the waste is poor civil engineering.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Shawls: 12:51am On Oct 13, 2018
gbadexy:
A distinguished member of the property section family @teebawse did post a quotation for wall screeding for verification and I indicated interest to supply at a competitive price and @ rotech77 graciously attested to my ability to supply it.

Gbadexy, I give you double thumbs up for the paint job of my house in Akobo, Ibadan. Not only did you deliver as promised and did a good follow up after completion, you also went beyond and above to address my concerns in the MOST PROFESSIONAL manner I've ever experienced with any NIGERIAN CONTRACTOR over many years of three different building projects. I will confidently recommend you to anyone upon request, without an iota of doubt. We need people like you, whose products promote themselves and are truthful with what they say and what they actually do.You talked the talk and also walked the walk.
I encourage other contractors on NL to emulate this complete gentle man of honour.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:41am On Oct 13, 2018
Teebawse:

Your up next on the list boss,just finishing up with the fencing first so I can secure the place then we can proceed with the tiling

Thanks chief I will be waiting for your call.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 7:51am On Oct 13, 2018
Shawls:

Gbadexy, I give you double thumbs up for the paint job of my house in Akobo, Ibadan. Not only did you deliver as promised and did a good follow up after completion, you also went beyond and above to address my concerns in the MOST PROFESSIONAL manner I've ever experienced with any NIGERIAN CONTRACTOR over many years of three different building projects. I will confidently recommend you to anyone upon request, without an iota of doubt. We need people like you, whose products promote themselves and are truthful with what they say and what they actually do.You talked the talk and also walked the walk.
I encourage other contractors on NL to emulate this complete gentle man of honour.

Teebawse:

He really outdid himself and am glad the job came out nice,he was always there to update me on the progress of the screeding and make sure the screeders sent picture update always,he is a very reliable gentleman and I recommend him any day anytime his putty worked wonders and am very pleased with the outcome

These are the kind of reviews l like to see, the type that draws new customers to you by itself, not some desperate hustling of some others.
You need to use his Paints, to see the difference.

Funnily, he does not even know he has worked for me a couple of times because he cant tie this username to a face or person. undecided undecided
I likey it that way though and he has never stopped impressing me each time/ grin grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 8:10am On Oct 13, 2018
diordaves:

No need to plaster soak away is cutting corners. Best practice is to plaster fully especially where columns weren't introduced. You should plaster and use a sealant.

Over time, the waste water will weaken the blocks which may lead to collapse. Plastering protests the soak away walls from seapage damage. The "soak away" mechanism should be constructed at the bottom of the tank. See photos.

Expecting the walls to act as sponge to soak away the waste is poor civil engineering.

Excellect Opinion!

if you must let the effluent escape horizontally through the walls, then you can create holes on the walls by stepping the blocks 4" apart at different points while giving all the walls full plaster, in and out.

But l think itis also not enviromentally friendly, to allow the effluent to sip-out vertically through the walls, you never know whose water is closer to the surface. Infact, l dont like the idea of allowing such waste into the soil. angry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 8:35am On Oct 13, 2018
diordaves:

yeah you got it spot on, though i think your picture is still a lil wrong. the sewage sewage system should be constructed in such a way that the solid waste settles at the bottom while the liquid waste flows over to the next pit.
lemme explain further., if you have 2 pits for ur sewage, the first pit shud serve as the soakaway [or even if its 1 pit, it should be split into 2 or 3 chambers]. lets assume the pits are 15ft deep, then the first chamber should have solid plastered blocks upto about 10ft, then as from 10ft, those blocks with holes are used, that way, until the ist chamber gets filled nearly to the top. then the liquid waste will start going over to the next pit to settle, and so on. thats the proper way to design the system, but our people dont like doing it, cos of the other disadvantages+cost involved

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1047) (1048) (1049) (1050) (1051) (1052) (1053) ... (3662) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.