Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,986 members, 7,848,963 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 12:37 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1092) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4473094 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1089) (1090) (1091) (1092) (1093) (1094) (1095) ... (3688) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 7:22am On Jan 03, 2019
Happy New Building and Counstruction Year Everyone.
I just saw in a quotation for roofing with "2 x 2 well treated [b][/b]soft wood for ceiling noggings"
My question... is that standard or acceptable to prevent future termite invasion?
Any reason for not also using 2x2 hardwood as with 2 x 3 and 2 x 4 in the quotation?

Cc
Princejones
HsLbroker
Money121
And other roofing and building experts
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by otix(m): 9:32am On Jan 03, 2019
podosci:
You have to remove the cost of an engineer that would supervise the job by personally supervising it yourself from start to finish, get a very simple architectural plan ...Remove DPC(German floor), do a very simple and low gable roof, locate the building in a very good location to cut the cost of foundation, cheap labour. When you done with your analysis, Upload it let's analyse and disect
I agree with podosci .....the location matters because it can determine the cost of labour you will get at each stages of the building...but looking to cut cost sometimes makes you want to supervise the work yourself....which is good for quality checks of materials and works at affordable and reason cost because you monitor all materials yourself...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:11am On Jan 03, 2019
ceelog:
I just saw in a quotation for roofing with "2 x 2 well treated [b][/b]soft wood for ceiling noggings"
My question... is that standard or acceptable to prevent future termite invasion?
Any reason for not also using 2x2 hardwood as with 2 x 3 and 2 x 4 in the quotation?

Cc
Princejones
HsLbroker
Money121
same to you sir, i really don't think i understand your question but what is actually certain is that softwood are use for temporary work on site, like decking, lintel, pillars or column, they don't last more than a year.

Hardwood remain hardwood, but there are various form of their hardness, itara, ayin, akun wood is harder than ogborugboru, menaina. The harder woods are good for 2x4, 2x6, 3x4, why the less hard wood like menaina, ogborugboru are good for 2x2 and 2x3, the reason is simply that, at that sizes they won't crack, wish can damage the woods.

2x2 woods are mainly use for ceiling noggin, but if you are installing stone coated roofing sheets to cover your roofing wooden carcass, full size 2x2 is suitable too for your purling(note that I said full size 2x2 not solo) because the full sizes 2x2 is what most saw mill now saw or sell for 2x3.

2x3 is mainly use for purling or latt according to how the carpenters call it. (Purling or latt is the vertex level point on the roof where the roofing sheets will be lay)

2x4 is use for the tie beams, joining or bracing, Ridges and finally ridges construction on the roofing carcass

2x6 is for king post

3x4 is use for the wall plate

of course everyone should know facial board is 1x12 but for aesthetic design on the roof it will be reduce to 1x10.

Facial board is mainly use when there is no parapet attach to the block roofing level.

Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PYSHomesUK4: 12:47pm On Jan 03, 2019
nice subject by the way.

We have :

1 plot of land for sale in Amaenyi, Agu - Awka , Awka , Anambra State.

Mixed use land .

Ideal for investment and or development N2.5m

Call us now for a viewing.

0905 669 9031 0905 669 8980
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by miracle1997: 3:33pm On Jan 03, 2019
gabbytabby:
Just use 9 inches and give yourself peace of mind.
I was made to know that there is hollow block and the block without hole...and 5inch block without hole is same intensity with 9inch with hole
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 3:56pm On Jan 03, 2019
HsLBroker:
same to you sir, i really don't think i understand your question but what is actually certain is that softwood are use for temporary work on site, like decking, lintel, pillars or column, they don't last more than a year.

Hardwood remain hardwood, but there are various form of their hardness, itara, ayin, akun wood is harder than ogborugboru, menaina. The harder woods are good for 2x4, 2x6, 3x4, why the less hard wood like menaina, ogborugboru are good for 2x2 and 2x3, the reason is simply that, at that sizes they won't crack, wish can damage the woods.

2x2 woods are mainly use for ceiling noggin, but if you are installing stone coated roofing sheets to cover your roofing wooden carcass, full size 2x2 is suitable too for your purling(note that I said full size 2x2 not solo) because the full sizes 2x2 is what most saw mill now saw or sell for 2x3.

2x3 is mainly use for purling or latt according to how the carpenters call it. (Purling or latt is the vertex level point on the roof where the roofing sheets will be lay)

2x4 is use for the tie beams, joining or bracing, Ridges and finally ridges construction on the roofing carcass

2x6 is for king post

of course everyone should know facial board is 1x12 but for aesthetic design on the roof it will be reduce to 1x10.

Facial board is mainly use when there is no parapet attach to the block roofing level.

Thanks

Just Price now
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mgbadike80: 7:50pm On Jan 03, 2019
the funny truth is that the strength of a block does not depend on it's size rather it depends on it's compressive strength. what determines this strength is the mix ratio of cement used in producing it. what we use in Nigeria are not even concrete blocks because they don't contain stones. it's these stones that gives it most of it's compressive strength. the size of foundation and other structural members are often done by local builders based on experience of the local soils. 99.99% of all foundations(especially for bungalows) in Nigeria are not specifically designed based on soil tests yet they're not collapsing. Also, there's no proof that registered engineers in Nigeria build better structures at the lowest costs compared to other building professionals. In Nigeria, experience and a honest desire to do the right thing seems to be the watch word.

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gaskinachi(m): 8:32pm On Jan 03, 2019
Hello guys, I’m curious that gray wall is it a type
Of paint or bricklayer design. Thanks

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:07pm On Jan 03, 2019
gaskinachi:
I think there are some kind of paint that does that cc gbadexy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jan 03, 2019
gaskinachi:

It’s called tyroline,mixture of cement,sharp sand and then sprayed on the wall with a machine,skimanski used such on some of his projects on here and Gbadexy gave me an explanation on it too,he knows better

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 11:29pm On Jan 03, 2019
gaskinachi:
I guess you could call it a bricklayer design. It may be painted after getting the desired patterned look.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 11:37pm On Jan 03, 2019
HsLBroker:

2x6 is for king post

Thanks
my boss we'll done,
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 12:13am On Jan 04, 2019
ceelog:

Cc
Princejones
HsLbroker
Money121

The answer to this is simple.

Roofing wood like Manania are soft wood (easily penetrated by nail without breaking). They are not to be confused with softwood used for temporary structures on site. They are used because 2x2 size hardwoods might break during installation.

But then, there are certain hardwoods that won't break easily.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 3:43am On Jan 04, 2019
Happy New Year to all the building enthusiasts on this thread. May 2019 see more learning experiences for us all.

I will be disturbing Una for some internal design ideas so I thank you in advance for your help and guidance.

In most decisions one makes in 9ja one has to factor into the cost, the present day 9ja factor.

For example if you are going to be moulding and supervising the moulding (mix ratio etc) of your blocks or you sufficiently trust your moulder then using 6 inches block for boungalow foundation might be less an issue than if you are buying blocks.

If you have to then you do the needful. Why not just use four y16 rod and be done with a column than use six y12 for example.

If you remember that you can’t do over your foundation you might choose to do all foundation with 9 inches block. A typical present day 6 inches bought block is often times not of similar strength as one used in the 60s to 80s. Often times what we all do is provide advice. The owner or builder then gets to make his/her decision and then lives with consequences of that decision shikena.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 5:12am On Jan 04, 2019
HsLBroker:

2x6 is for king post

Thanks

Thanks for the response. So you mean hardwod should be used as the 2 x 2 nogging wood?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 5:15am On Jan 04, 2019
KolaShangOne:

The answer to this is simple.

Roofing wood like Manania are soft wood (easily penetrated by nail without breaking). They are not to be confused with softwood used for temporary structures on site. They are used because 2x2 size hardwoods might break during installation.

But then, there are certain hardwoods that won't break easily.

Thanks for this response. So I now know that the softwood quoted is not "ordinary softwood". I will keep making my finds on the name of the wood used here for noggings but what I observed is that termites easily attack the noggings here in the East.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:03am On Jan 04, 2019
ceelog:

Thanks for this response. So I now know that the softwood quoted is not "ordinary softwood". I will keep making my finds on the name of the wood used here for noggings but what I observed is that termites easily attack the noggings here in the East.

One thing is to quote for a certain type of wood, another is for the carpenters to really buy that type of wood.

Last time I did a roof in the East, what we did was to use 2x3 for nogging. Lapped. The difference in price is just about 50 naira.

No matter how well we treat our wood, in later years as the effect wears off, they can still be attacked by termites.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Obafisenco(m): 8:27am On Jan 04, 2019
ceelog:

the best type of wood for roofing is " okilolo or akun" that's the name it's called in southwest here.
okilolo is usually brown in nature while akun is like black
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:37am On Jan 04, 2019
gabbytabby:
Happy New Year to all the building enthusiasts on this thread. May 2019 see more learning experiences for us all.

I will be disturbing Una for some internal design ideas so I thank you in advance for your help and guidance.

In most decisions one makes in 9ja one has to factor into the cost, the present day 9ja factor.

For example if you are going to be moulding and supervising the moulding (mix ratio etc) of your blocks or you sufficiently trust your moulder then using 6 inches block for boungalow foundation might be less an issue than if you are buying blocks.
If you have to then you do the needful. Why not just use four y16 rod and be done with a column than use six y12 for example.

If you remember that you can’t do over your foundation you might choose to do all foundation with 9 inches block. A typical present day 6 inches bought block is often times not of similar strength as one used in the 60s to 80s. Often times what we all do is provide advice. The owner or builder then gets to make his/her decision and then lives with consequences of that decision shikena.

Regarding the bold from the latter part of the statement, one may not know the originators of such in Nigeria. But if a professional(individual) possess the right knowledge, technical and field experience and saddled with a client that strongly insists on such then it's up to the professional. There are limited articles online regarding the use of Y12 for single storeys but there are a whole lot of considerations.

This is not a comparison to the above.
Just like the drivers of lintel complete link chaining as against just covering the door and window openings and putting blocks on the remaining length of the wall.
The traditional rule is the use of Y12 (4 bars with Y8 as stirrups).
Other conventional methods are Y12 (3 bars), Y10(4 bars).
I think I may have seen the use of Y8(4 bars) for lintel purposes but it was a foreign steel.

Now, if any of the above is right ,one should be able to establish his/her stirrup spacing to use since all can't be the same given the loads.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:39am On Jan 04, 2019
ceelog:

Thanks for the response. So you mean hardwod should be used as the 2 x 2 nogging wood?
yes that nails would penetrate easily
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:40am On Jan 04, 2019
Adedward:
my boss we'll done,
thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 4:37pm On Jan 04, 2019
Obafisenco:

the best type of wood for roofing is " okilolo or akun" that's the name it's called in southwest here.
Maybe Akun, Kokogbo, Itara etc but not Okilolo if you have a choice of the others.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 4:55pm On Jan 04, 2019
Obafisenco:

Sir, What makes it the best? What qualities does it have that the other thousand species of wood doesn't have?? We want to learn.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 4:57pm On Jan 04, 2019
bixton:

Regarding the bold from the latter part of the statement, one may not know the originators of such in Nigeria. But if a professional(individual) possess the right knowledge, technical and field experience and saddled with a client that strongly insists on such then it's up to the professional. There are limited articles online regarding the use of Y12 for single storeys but there are a whole lot of considerations.

This is not a comparison to the above.
Just like the drivers of lintel complete link chaining as against just covering the door and window openings and putting blocks on the remaining length of the wall.
The traditional rule is the use of Y12 (4 bars with Y8 as stirrups).
Other conventional methods are Y12 (3 bars), Y10(4 bars).
I think I may have seen the use of Y8(4 bars) for lintel purposes but it was a foreign steel.

Now, if any of the above is right ,one should be able to establish his/her stirrup spacing to use since all can't be the same given the loads.

If I read this right,

You're saying there's no evidence or literature that backs the assertion that chaining lintel enhances the structural integrity of a building?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by keepingmum: 6:31pm On Jan 04, 2019
Whom can i contact to get a 3D model for a 3bed bungalow? Does the site hv to be seen first beforehand?
Its on a 50 x 50 land and was acquired as an uncompleted building.....the roofing, fencing et al isnt done yet
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:46pm On Jan 04, 2019
KolaShangOne:

If I read this right,

You're saying there's no evidence or literature that backs the assertion that chaining lintel enhances the structural integrity of a building?

You read right, but there's no mention of the bold as to your thoughts.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jan 04, 2019
keepingmum:
Whom can i contact to get a 3D model for a 3bed bungalow? Does the site hv to be seen first beforehand?
Its on a 50 x 50 land and was acquired as an uncompleted building.....the roofing, fencing et al isnt done yet

+234 816 113 9610.. his name is Promise...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jan 04, 2019
hello. who still has the number of mr peter the tile expert.. i tried calling the ones i have no one is picking up
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by koolengrtimmy(m): 2:13am On Jan 05, 2019
aonag:
hello. who still has the number of mr peter the tile expert.. i tried calling the ones i have no one is picking up

Do you need someone reliable who can handle your job perfectly?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by koolengrtimmy(m): 2:15am On Jan 05, 2019
keepingmum:

Let me ask if architect Bolaji can handle this?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:05am On Jan 05, 2019
aonag:

Peter 0803 575 1201
Mathew 0803 845 5219
Same people. Good and professional tilers crew.
They did excellent job on my project with Oga Engineer Aventures in-charge.

Hajji M.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1089) (1090) (1091) (1092) (1093) (1094) (1095) ... (3688) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: dangoteinlaw, ifeanyija(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.