Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,413 members, 7,815,926 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:09 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1156) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4385904 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1153) (1154) (1155) (1156) (1157) (1158) (1159) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 5:07pm On Apr 29, 2019
DaniellaDokubo:
Dear Engineers,

Please I need a critical review or criticize this semi detached building plans for me. In addition kindly provide a fair estimate to finishing. Can this plan sit on a half plot of land?

Awaiting your desired and useful feedback please.

Thank you

Don't you think a total of 5 toilets per semi is too much given the fact that you wish to build on half plot of land?
These could be taking so much valuable space.

I would rather the maid's bedroom opens into the house instead of outside. Or maybe not. It is individual lifestyle. One needs to go outside to engage the services of the maid if the maid is in her room. Or spend call credit calling her on the phone to come into the house to carry out some work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by elengine: 6:19pm On Apr 29, 2019
cash1115:
hello all,
I've noticed many people complain about the frustration of getting P.O.P contractors to give a rough estimate of a building. I've been called scam and such countless times simply because i asked for measurements instead of just quoting something off my head like those in the plumbing, wiring or roofing industry.
The thing is that ceiling differ from all the above simply because measurement depends on a number of factors. Lets say you need a rough quotation for a 3 bedroom flat we have to take into consideration how many other rooms are inclusive i.e laundry room, waiting room, living room, store, walkway, verander, balcony and en-suite. the sizes of each room also matter. Sure, rough estimates can be given if we are able to see the rooms physically, even without measuring.
Therefore,what we do is give you the price per square meter and we go from there. let's say a square meter is #3500 and the square meter for your bedroom is 50, that's 3500*50, and then you do the same for the other rooms. That's how you arrive at the final quotation. I won't just give you an amount off the top of my head simply because you say it's a 3 bedroom flat.
Mind you, the price per square meter is the workmanship and the material. you are not expected to provide the materials.

We will keep in touch

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 7:00pm On Apr 29, 2019
DaniellaDokubo:
Dear Engineers,

Please I need a critical review or criticize this semi detached building plans for me. In addition kindly provide a fair estimate to finishing. Can this plan sit on a half plot of land?

Thank you

1. External doors should not be placed directly on external walls without a porch. Both front and back doors if not very good sealed doors will allow rain storm water in to the house. These doors will also deteriorate from rain and sun. I suggest you ditch the ante room in favour of a porch. You can also afford to pull the external kitchen door inwards by 1m creating a tiny 1x1m porch.

2. Half a plot is not recommended. A 50x50ft half plot will not work. A 60x60 will be manageable if offset regulations are not applied. Parking space will be a constraint.

3. You may have to deck a portion of your roof for overhead water tank.

4. You may have to install roof gutters to avoid problems with neighbors. Thats because your offset will be small and your roof runoff may overshoot the fence.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lukkens: 7:26pm On Apr 29, 2019
bobkezel:

You need not worry, before the sewage from a soakaway gets to ground water level from where the borehole water comes, it has to pass through a lot of strata ; permeable, semi permeable and non permeable. Before it finishes passing through this stages it gets naturally purified. That's the nature's way of purifying impure/ contaminated water that perlocates through the soil.
But then, the borehole should be sunk very deep, prevention is better than cure.
Also if the area is prone to flooding, that's when you should be more careful.

please gurus in the house, i hope 20feet away from soakaway is okay.
thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bobkezel(m): 7:44pm On Apr 29, 2019
lukkens:

thanks
What if ur borehole is 20ft away from ur soakaway, but 5ft away from ur neighbour's soakaway and that's the only available space what are you going to do?
Like I said, nature has a way of taking care of those things we worry so much about.
People even dig ordinary well beside a soakaway and still drink it and still be fit.
Remember you can always boil ur water before drinking, or u add all these chlorine based stuffs they add in drinking water, but boiling is ur best bet.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Takoro13(m): 7:56pm On Apr 29, 2019
DaniellaDokubo:
Dear Engineers,

Thank you
I prefer you swap dining and visitor's room. I won't like dining away from kitchen. And you relocate visitor's room door to be link directly to dining not parlor.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:07pm On Apr 29, 2019
please whats is the reasonable amount to pay for briclayer for a german floor of about 100 square meters in ibadan axis.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olatunji67POP(m): 11:34pm On Apr 29, 2019
My name is Olatunji, a POP expert. I am into POP artworks and designs.

Please consult me for your POP artworks and designs and you will NEVER regret you did. For superb works and affordable fees, I am at your service sirs and ma'am. phone number:07062567817

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diplomat058(m): 11:38pm On Apr 29, 2019
Olatunji67POP:
My name is Olatunji, a POP expert. I am into POP artworks and designs.

Please consult me for your POP artworks and designs and you will NEVER regret you did. For superb works and affordable fees, I am at your service sirs and ma'am. phone number:07062567817
Wow! This works are indeed superb. Bros pls I will give you a call cos I need to recommend you to someone

Keep on the good works bro

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DaniellaDokubo(f): 11:42pm On Apr 29, 2019
Takoro13:

I prefer you swap dining and visitor's room. I won't like dining away from kitchen. And you relocate visitor's room door to be link directly to dining not parlor.

I totally agree with you. Even considering the guest room open outside from the family's living space...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Royruky(m): 11:51pm On Apr 29, 2019
Good evening gurus and ogas in the house. I want to step - down my sitting room, kitchen and toilets in my project. My friend helping out with the project recommended that we step the sitting room with about 2 feet while the others about 1 foot.

My brother is however of the view that the 2 feet and 1 foot respectively is too deep. He is suggesting 1and half feet for the sitting room and half foot for the other places.

kindly advise.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DaniellaDokubo(f): 12:30am On Apr 30, 2019
adanny01:

1. External doors should not be placed directly on external walls without a porch. Both front and back doors if not very good sealed doors will allow rain storm water in to the house. These doors will also deteriorate from rain and sun. I suggest you ditch the ante room in favour of a porch. You can also afford to pull the external kitchen door inwards by 1m creating a tiny 1x1m porch.

2. Half a plot is not recommended. A 50x50ft half plot will not work. A 60x60 will be manageable if offset regulations are not applied. Parking space will be a constraint.

3. You may have to deck a portion of your roof for overhead water tank.

4. You may have to install roof gutters to avoid problems with neighbors. Thats because your offset will be small and your roof runoff may overshoot the fence.

My thoughts sir:

1. The first floor has an over hang or cantilever, will this work?

2. True, really bothered about this.

3. Interesting never considered this.

4. Excellent idea..

Much appreciated sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DaniellaDokubo(f): 12:31am On Apr 30, 2019
topsy23:

The First floor is okay but there is no ground floor architectural plan

We are available for the M&E design.

Rectified...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by blacksta(m): 5:43am On Apr 30, 2019
Dear House

What are the benefits of doing a window hood ... apart from visuals ..

I have given a quote of about 120k for 17 windows
Is this fair . A single bold line thickness around the window

Thanks

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ubox: 7:13am On Apr 30, 2019
for your building design needs, contact uboks.nyah@yahoo.com for your Awe striking building designs at best rates.
https://www.nairaland.com/3696405/contemporary-moderate-building-designs#54818903

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Larwin(m): 8:44am On Apr 30, 2019
blacksta:
Dear House

Currently doing a soakaway about 12 feet from an existing borehole... What are things to take in consideration.. So that the two never mix

Topography...
Lithology
Stratigraphy

These three are very important. Your borehole shoukd not be at the down slope side if topography is to be considered.

In a situation where your lithostratigraphy is like what we ve in Lagos, you should know you ll be drinking each other's poo comparesd to places where you ve strong laterites dat can seal the poo from migrating.

It's always good to give a considerable distance. 3.6m might be a good distance enough in some place and might be very bad in others.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 10:03am On Apr 30, 2019
DaniellaDokubo:

My thoughts sir:

1. The first floor has an over hang or cantilever, will this work?

2. True, really bothered about this.

3. Interesting never considered this.

4. Excellent idea..

Much appreciated sir.

Your post had me going back to view the design again. I must say i saw more problems.

That the first floor is 19750mm means that your building cannot fit into any type of half plot. The biggest half plot is 18x18m, you cannot possibly overshoot your plot with your first floor.

Secondly, 1st floor length minus ground floor is your overhang. 19750-14500=5250. Infact, lets remove the additional overhang of the balcony which is 450, we are left with 4800. This is for both over hangs of front and back, 2400 is each over hang. A 2400mm loaded cantilever is just not practicable in this case.

Thirdly, lastly and most importantly, because i looked into dimensions, i found a bigger problem. This design will pose a structural design problem. Even though i did not completely analyze the design, i already concluded that internal partition walls of the ground floor are not symmetrically aligned to the first floor. The result is that the 1st floor partition walls would be built on slabs with not direct beam or column support. If the beams and columns are introduced as per correct design, the beams and columns would litter the ground floor at odd places. Would you want a column at the middle of the sitting room or dining room? Have a look at how large if put together, the sitting room, dining room and staircase area is with no walls. How is the 1st floor going to be supported without a beam or a column?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DaniellaDokubo(f): 10:23am On Apr 30, 2019
adanny01:

Your post had me going back to view the design again. I must say i saw more problems.

That the first floor is 19750mm means that your building cannot fit into any type of half plot. The biggest half plot is 18x18m, you cannot possibly overshoot your plot with your first floor.

Secondly, 1st floor length minus ground floor is your overhang. 19750-14500=5250. Infact, lets remove the additional overhang of the balcony which is 450, we are left with 4800. This is for both over hangs of front and back, 2400 is each over hang. A 2400mm loaded cantilever is just not practicable in this case.

Thirdly, lastly and most importantly, because i looked into dimensions, i found a bigger problem. This design will pose a structural design problem. Even though i did not completely analyze the design, i already concluded that internal partition walls of the ground floor are not symmetrically aligned to the first floor. The result is that the 1st floor partition walls would be built on slabs with not direct beam or column support. If the beams and columns are introduced as per correct design, the beams and columns would litter the ground floor at odd places. Would you want a column at the middle of the sitting room or dining room? Have a look at how large if put together, the sitting room, dining room and staircase area is with no walls. How is the 1st floor going to be supported without a beam or a column?

Thanks a whole lot for this. I actually had same fears about the 2.4m and notably also I don't confronted the engineer with the staircase as I don't see continuity between the first and second floor stairwell.

Moreso whilst the length had an overhang of 2.4m on each of the long side the short side almost had none. Quite a funny design.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 12:52pm On Apr 30, 2019
blacksta:
Dear House

Thanks

The cost for window art work should be about 2,500

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hum2020: 1:33pm On Apr 30, 2019
Op i have two obersveration on the building plan.one the number of Toilets and the maid bedroom while will maid door be located outside knowing the problem with some maid think you should think of safely of your life and other family members some maids can invite criminals with this doors outside the main house secondly the toilets is too much for this type of building because cost of WC ok thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Iruosonobrugwhe: 2:21pm On Apr 30, 2019
please can one do wall screeding without POP using only acrylic putty? anyone around warri who can be recommended?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 4:04pm On Apr 30, 2019
bixton:

You'll need to find another location for your soakaway if you value the health of those who will make use of such water especially for drinking purposes.
A lot of factors determine the position of a soakaway away from a borehole. Though due to the size of our land most of the regulations can't be followed through. But the furthest both are away from each other the better. Traditionally a soakaway is supposed to be constructed on the down slope part of any land. Borehole water comes from water beneath the ground from aquifers. The waste water from your soakaway percolates into the soil and with time will contaminate the aquifer.
So assuming you have a 50/100ft land, the distance between your borehole and soakaway should be 50ft or 100ft. It may be less considering the position(s) of existing neighbouring soakaways.
Given that, 12ft is never ideal.
I don't quite get your meaning what does the regulation say as to minimum between the 2.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 4:32pm On Apr 30, 2019
It's similar to a plan of a 5 bed duplex of a friend of mine and I don't think you can get 2 of this on a half plot.

I think he can do better with regards to location of the master bedroom and one other of the top bedrooms versus the toilets to allow for better ventilation

DaniellaDokubo:
Dear Engineers,

Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 4:44pm On Apr 30, 2019
Personally I like the idea of seperate staff /maid quarters such that they have no reason to have access to main house keys and the safety issues associated.

In the 9ja of today I think it's a plus point.
diordaves:

Don't you think a total of 5 toilets per semi is too much given the fact that you wish to build on half plot of land?
These could be taking so much valuable space.

I would rather the maid's bedroom opens into the house instead of outside. Or maybe not. It is individual lifestyle. One needs to go outside to engage the services of the maid if the maid is in her room. Or spend call credit calling her on the phone to come into the house to carry out some work.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 4:59pm On Apr 30, 2019
My understanding of the regulation is minimum 10 ft then type of sand and other conditions comes into play my choosen minimum is double that at about 18 to 20ft. Please engineers in the house enlighten us

[ quote author=lukkens post=77964306]

thanks[/quote]
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DaniellaDokubo(f): 6:20pm On Apr 30, 2019
gabbytabby:
Personally I like the idea of seperate staff /maid quarters such that they have no reason to have access to main house keys and the safety issues associated.

In the 9ja of today I think it's a plus point.

thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DaniellaDokubo(f): 6:22pm On Apr 30, 2019
gabbytabby:
It's similar to a plan of a 5 bed duplex of a friend of mine and I don't think you can get 2 of this on a half plot.

I think he can do better with regards to location of the master bedroom and one other of the top bedrooms versus the toilets to allow for better ventilation

Kindly share with me if you don't mind. I think I will rather dump this plan. The structural concerns highlighted earlier is a big issue for me...

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 9:57pm On Apr 30, 2019
blacksta:
Dear House

Thanks
the cost is much, I think 4ft by 4ft is around, # 2,500 and 2ft by2ft =#1,500

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tempex88(m): 10:50pm On Apr 30, 2019
What do you guys think of this plumbing quote.
I have done the initial laying of pipes....

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by multikolour(m): 10:58pm On Apr 30, 2019
Please house help me with this quotation for a 3 bedroom bungalow foundation.
625,100 I think it a little high considering the land is in the north and is flat.
The DPC is just the block and not the entire floor
Attached is the quotation, the floor plan and pic of the type of dpc

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 2:35am On May 01, 2019
gabbytabby:
I don't quite get your meaning what does the regulation say as to minimum between the 2.

Federal Environmental Protection Agency(defunct) now part of agencies merged to form Federal Ministriy of Environment gives a minimum distance of 30 metres between both.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 5:07am On May 01, 2019
[/quote] gud morniing house happy wonderful new months, is the months of mercy , we shall received mercy on our ways in this months in thy name of god, (amen)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1153) (1154) (1155) (1156) (1157) (1158) (1159) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.