Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,884 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1158) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4385747 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1155) (1156) (1157) (1158) (1159) (1160) (1161) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by keepingmum: 8:17pm On May 01, 2019
Mubby4luv:
Bros the quotation is high , which part of Abj is the building, I can recommend a good meason.

Kuje
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by keepingmum: 8:20pm On May 01, 2019
Mubby4luv:
Bros the quotation is high , which part of Abj is the building, I can recommend a good meason.

Kuje
mank1234:
Keepingmum, thank God you didn't keep mum on this. The guy man want to con you.

Price for everything asides cement is inflated.
Quantity for everything is inflated.
Quote is divided into two to confused you.

Best way to pay back such a con master is to learn how to calculate material required, then give the job to another and then invite him to come and see how the work is progressing.

Can you recommend someone pls?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by keepingmum: 8:22pm On May 01, 2019
timesup234:
100k will plaster everything. What is the size of the house? You need a double tipper load of sand. It should be enough. 17k depending on where you stay

Its a 3bed in Kuje
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Arnoldfish(m): 8:30pm On May 01, 2019
Your brother is right, half foot is OK for the toilets, the living room can go as much as you desire depending on you plinth height and what you want to achieve but 1and half foot (3 steps down) is reasonable.

Then the kitchen is supposed to be on the same level with the dinning even with the lobby inbetween if there's any. Rather use a floor drain around the sink area and slope properly through the drain and the back door. Stairs on the kitchen will always get someone especially a visitor.
Royruky:
Good evening gurus and ogas in the house. I want to step - down my sitting room, kitchen and toilets in my project. My friend helping out with the project recommended that we step the sitting room with about 2 feet while the others about 1 foot.

My brother is however of the view that the 2 feet and 1 foot respectively is too deep. He is suggesting 1and half feet for the sitting room and half foot for the other places.

kindly advise.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Obosa1: 8:33pm On May 01, 2019
Thanks for the review. You are very fortunate

diordaves:
There is the misconception among homeowners mostly that you can build cheaply. The truth is building a house is never cheap; any how or any way or the type of structure you are putting up, the truth is this won't be cheap to cross the finish line.

It is this misconception that mostly underscore problems between homeowners and contractors/suppliers. Homeowners tend to massively underestimate the amount of details, time, materials, labour cost and professional fee(s) involved in the execution of projects. This is why when we homeowners ask for quote, almost always that quote falls well above our expectation in monetary terms and then we cry fraud. To be honest, sometimes there is no fraud or attempted fraud in some quotes - it may just be the reality; building is not cheap. There are genuine professionals out there both contractors and suppliers that will deliver exactly the quality of product asked for without stealing from the client.

I've just finished my latest project and had to contract the services of Gbadexy and ThatHistoryGuy both here on Nairaland property section. In this forum, we kick against adverts from contractors and suppliers and at the same time we homeowners including myself criticize a lot contractors and suppliers stealing from clients - this is also true. So in the grand scheme of things we don't give contractors/suppliers enough space to showcase their integrity here and get good references where applicable.

I did a multi million triangular business with Gbadexy and ThatHistoryGuy - from London - Lagos - Warri. We never met, I don't know these suppliers in person but I must say it is only fair to give them good reference here. I was in Lagos for a better part of the finishing but I never bothered to meet them in person. This was as a result of the relatively smooth process of the transactions and the delivery of the products to Warri. I must say both were professional in conduct and the quality of the products paid for and delivered met expectation.

Gbadexy

Supplied ALL paint from priming to final coat. The choice of colour(s) is mine, but quality is by Gbadexy. This was excellent. Logistic (delivery) from Lagos to Warri was very satisfactory. Communication, negotiation and planning from the UK was good this included exchanges on whatsapp photos and samples. I didn't notice any cry for data as is often the case with Nigeria home base. See photos.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mank1234(m): 8:35pm On May 01, 2019
keepingmum:

Kuje

Can you recommend someone pls?

I'm not in Abuja. Scroll up someone signified interest to assist.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 9:18pm On May 01, 2019
keepingmum:

Is the workmanship for the entire house or for one section? essentially the estimate given is

PLASTERING WORKS(Interior Only) -
Plaster Sand 5 Trucks N30,000 = N150,000
iii. Stone dust 1 Pickup N15,000
iv. Cement 40 bags - N2,700 - N108,000
v Plaster Additives 2 Liters N12,000
vi. Water Factor N5,000
vii. Labor for Plastering N100,000
Total N390,000

PLASTERING WORKS(Exterior Only)

i. Plaster Sand 5 Trucks N35,000 N175,000
iv. Cement 40 bags N2,700 N108,000
v Plaster Additives 2 Litres N12,000
vi. Water Factor N5,000 vii.
Labor for Plastering N120,000
Total N370,00

Assuming the entire plaster will be done in a day. Assuming a Mason's daily pay of N4000 and labour N2000. Assuming 1 labour to serve 2 Mason's. Assuming 2 Mason to plaster a room.

3bedrooms and sitting room=8
Dining = 1
Kitchen = 2
4 toilets = 2
Lobby =1
Store 1
2 Shorter external walls = 2
2 longer external walls = 4
Total= 19
Approximately 20 Masons a d 10 labourers.

20x4000=80000, and 10x2000=20000
Total N100,000 for labour.

Work can be done by 20 Masons in 1day or 10 masons in 2 days or 5 Masons in 4 days or 2 masons in 10days. The labour cost should not change.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mubby4luv(m): 10:51pm On May 01, 2019
keepingmum:

Kuje
Okay let's hope he is good to go on Kuje. I will talk to him tomorrow and get back to you Sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by seanfer(m): 11:13pm On May 01, 2019
keepingmum:

Is the workmanship for the entire house or for one section? essentially the estimate given is

vi. Water Factor N5,000
Total N390,000

Total N370,00

I just plastered my project it’s 2 Units of 1 bedroom flat and 1 room self contain. I used 35 bags of cement and 4 loads of sand nothing like plaster addictive. I paid the bricklayer 140,000 for both inside and outside He also hang all the burglaries and the iron doors. This price is too much. The highest you should pay for this is 130-140k and don’t buy more than 5 loads of sand and with 35-40 bags of cement you’re good. Look for 2 other Bricklayers to give you quotation

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:32pm On May 01, 2019
please what is an ideal price to pay for bricklayer for block work from german floor to lintel of 4 bedroom duplex?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by timesup234: 6:08am On May 02, 2019
boyestic:
please what is an ideal price to pay for bricklayer for block work from german floor to lintel of 4 bedroom duplex?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Iruosonobrugwhe: 7:52am On May 02, 2019
@gbadexy and @Diodaves....una too much. I got to know of the ready mixed screeding putty in this forum. But the person i am contracting doesnt seem to know about it and is stuck gypsum cement and POP emulsion. Good to know that there is some level of expertise needed for using base coat. So i may just allow him use his old method.

please what are the merits and demerits of both methods and what is the cost comparism?

gbadexy:

I would attempt to try and shed some light on what I think he is trying to describe. He may comment otherwise to further clarify if not.
The ready mixed screeding putty also called basecoat is also used in wall screeding and it is a thick paste with acrylic as the binder.
It doesn't set fast unlike the regular gypsum cement and pop emulsion combination. it dries slowly and would need to be given second or finishing coat several hours to next day after first coat is sufficiently dry.
Not all screeders can apply the basecoat due to the slow drying time and relatively softer mix compared to gypsum cement/pop emulsion paint mix.
An experienced screeder should be able to apply any form of screeding material though.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Arnoldfish(m): 8:30am On May 02, 2019
If you are able to know the number of blocks to be used and the laying cost per block for that location (some do #35, #45, #45, #50) that should give you a rough idea of how much it should be.
assuming you want to do on contract basis, it will give you a range too.
boyestic:
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by joycluv: 9:09am On May 02, 2019
boyestic:
. A lot of factors will determine= Location, Size of the house which will determine the No of blocks, The block size, Cost of laying the block size per one in ur location assuming you want to do it by counting using direct labour and the amount labourers collect for serving the masons per day. But it's cheaper to use direct labour if you have the time to stay around.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by paparazzi82: 10:31am On May 02, 2019
Is the above price for bricklayers alone or labourers are included?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 10:32am On May 02, 2019
Iruosonobrugwhe:
@gbadexy and @Diodaves....una too much. I got to know of the ready mixed screeding putty in this forum. But the person i am contracting doesnt seem to know about it and is stuck gypsum cement and POP emulsion. Good to know that there is some level of expertise needed for using base coat. So i may just allow him use his old method.

please what are the merits and demerits of both methods and what is the cost comparism?

The POP/gypsum cement mix makes use of the gypsum as the main binder and it's action is as a result of swelling of the individual powders when in contact with water (hydration).
This squeezes tight together with themselves and the powder aggregate of the pop emulsion paint which is mainly calcium carbonate powder on one hand, and the expansion within the pores and crevices on the surface it is applied on the other hand to hold on to the surface.
The acrylic putty makes use of acrylic binder that bonds on both the pores and every surface in contact with.
From their mechanism of bonding, the POP/gypsum cement mix bonds to the wall due to the expansion of the powders with tiny pores and application of force or shock can dislodge.
Further contact with water would still cause it to expand and swell after application which makes it unsuitable for anywhere with exposure to water.
The acrylic putty doesn't have that disadvantage. You would need to chisel or use scraper with considerable force from a heavy object to scrape it off the surface and water doesn't easily affect it except solvents like paint thinners.
The POP/gypsum mix is somewhat more smoother after application and it hardens fast, although it would still need several days to dry fully before it can be painted on.
It can also be mixed with P.V.A binder to have similar advantage of bonding better to any surface as the acrylic putty, but it's not as water resistant as acrylic binder.
The acrylic based putty doesn't dust powder(chalk) after it is sand papered prior to painting unlike POP/gypsum mix. Addition of sufficient P.V.A binder also minimizes chalking after sand paper.
As regards cost comparison, I understand the POP/gypsum screeding is charged from N500 upward for materials and labor while the screeding putty varies depending on price of the brand of the putty. it's at an average of N550 to N650 per sqm including materials and labor for putty of N6500 to N9000 per drum at spread of 18 sqm per drum and N200 to N300 per sqm for labor.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by paparazzi82: 10:32am On May 02, 2019
Arnoldfish:
If you are able to know the number of blocks to be used and the laying cost per block for that location (some do #35, #45, #45, #50) that should give you a rough idea of how much it should be.

Is the above price for bricklayers alone or inclusive labourers?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sisieko02: 10:37am On May 02, 2019
[quote author=keepingmum post=78007953]

vi. Water Factor N5,000
Total N390,000

Total N370,00
Please this bill of quantity is for how many bedroom bungalow or duplex
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Iruosonobrugwhe: 11:19am On May 02, 2019
How much can i thank you for this elementary breakdown? i am grateful. If you can refer me to someone in warri, i no go vex.
gbadexy:

The POP/gypsum cement mix makes use of the gypsum as the main binder and it's action is as a result of swelling of the individual powders when in contact with water (hydration).
This squeezes tight together with themselves and the powder aggregate of the pop emulsion paint which is mainly calcium carbonate powder on one hand, and the expansion within the pores and crevices on the surface it is applied on the other hand to hold on to the surface.
The acrylic putty makes use of acrylic binder that bonds on both the pores and every surface in contact with.
From their mechanism of bonding, the POP/gypsum cement mix bonds to the wall due to the expansion of the powders with tiny pores and application of force or shock can dislodge.
Further contact with water would still cause it to expand and swell after application which makes it unsuitable for anywhere with exposure to water.
The acrylic putty doesn't have that disadvantage. You would need to chisel or use scraper with considerable force from a heavy object to scrape it off the surface and water doesn't easily affect it except solvents like paint thinners.
The POP/gypsum mix is somewhat more smoother after application and it hardens fast, although it would still need several days to dry fully before it can be painted on.
It can also be mixed with P.V.A binder to have similar advantage of bonding better to any surface as the acrylic putty, but it's not as water resistant as acrylic binder.
The acrylic based putty doesn't dust powder(chalk) after it is sand papered prior to painting unlike POP/gypsum mix. Addition of sufficient P.V.A binder also minimizes chalking after sand paper.
As regards cost comparison, I understand the POP/gypsum screeding is charged from N500 upward for materials and labor while the screeding putty varies depending on price of the brand of the putty. it's at an average of N550 to N650 per sqm including materials and labor for putty of N6500 to N9000 per drum at spread of 18 sqm per drum and N200 to N300 per sqm for labor.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 12:03pm On May 02, 2019
Iruosonobrugwhe:
How much can i thank you for this elementary breakdown? i am grateful. If you can refer me to someone in warri, i no go vex.
I don't know of any screeder based in warri sir. perhaps my chairman @ diordaves could be of assistance.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 1:39pm On May 02, 2019
gbadexy:

I would attempt to try and shed some light on what I think he is trying to describe. He may comment otherwise to further clarify if not.
The ready mixed screeding putty also called basecoat is also used in wall screeding and it is a thick paste with acrylic as the binder.
It doesn't set fast unlike the regular gypsum cement and pop emulsion combination. it dries slowly and would need to be given second or finishing coat several hours to next day after first coat is sufficiently dry.
Not all screeders can apply the basecoat due to the slow drying time and relatively softer mix compared to gypsum cement/pop emulsion paint mix.
An experienced screeder should be able to apply any form of screeding material though.

Thanks for the mention boss. You seems to have done justice to his question.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ak22(m): 2:06pm On May 02, 2019
Arnoldfish:

With labour ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 2:21pm On May 02, 2019
Dominionng:

Thanks for the mention boss. You seems to have done justice to his question.
Alright sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tvcatch15(m): 3:01pm On May 02, 2019
Good day

Pls what the current rate of iron rod all sizes.

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Iruosonobrugwhe: 4:18pm On May 02, 2019
and i am been charged 900 per sqm for a simple gypsum/pop mix.......i just laughed.

gbadexy:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 6:54pm On May 02, 2019
Iruosonobrugwhe:
and i am been charged 900 per sqm for a simple gypsum/pop mix.......i just laughed.

Good quality screening in Warri is from N500/SqM direct labour. So 900 you were quoted may have been as a result of your negotiating power or the quality you demanded or you are not using direct labour.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 7:10pm On May 02, 2019
diordaves:

Good quality screening in Warri is from N500/SqM direct labour. So 900 you were quoted may have been as a result of your negotiating power or the quality you demanded or you are not using direct labour.
Really - 500persq
so what will the cost be in Lagos and Abuja 2000 persq
Hell to the NO
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Royruky(m): 9:32pm On May 02, 2019
Arnoldfish:
Your brother is right, half foot is OK for the toilets, the living room can go as much as you desire depending on you plinth height and what you want to achieve but 1and half foot (3 steps down) is reasonable.

Then the kitchen is supposed to be on the same level with the dinning even with the lobby inbetween if there's any. Rather use a floor drain around the sink area and slope properly through the drain and the back door. Stairs on the kitchen will always get someone especially a visitor.

Thanks. Grateful
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Iruosonobrugwhe: 10:21am On May 03, 2019
you are very correct, finally negotiated 550 /sqm with someone else. And the person re-measured and it was 30ft less

diordaves:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by keepingmum: 11:56am On May 03, 2019
[quote author=sisieko02 post=78037611][/quote]

Its for a 3bed bungalow

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by keepingmum: 12:32pm On May 03, 2019
Mubby4luv:
Okay let's hope he is good to go on Kuje. I will talk to him tomorrow and get back to you Sir

hello, have you been able to get in touch with the mason please
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mubby4luv(m): 1:30pm On May 03, 2019
keepingmum:

hello, have you been able to get in touch with the mason please
Not really, I'm sorry I travelled but here is his number

(1) (2) (3) ... (1155) (1156) (1157) (1158) (1159) (1160) (1161) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: PrimeQuay, gbadexy(m), joetoocute and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.