Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,889 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:12 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1161) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4401873 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1158) (1159) (1160) (1161) (1162) (1163) (1164) ... (3669) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 8:37am On May 05, 2019
Royruky:

Good write - up. I am however of the opinion that price is not always a function of the quality of the work. Price is sometime determined by the negotiating powers of the parties involved.

Most time when you approached a lawyer to prepare a deed of assignment for you, you are always tempted to conclude that the lawyer who charges more is more competent, but that is not truly the case.

The price is a function of the bargaining powers of the parties. The location no doubt plays an important role.

To add to your take, labour cost is a function of:

Negotiation

Availability of competition (Labour)

The quality demanded and

The location of the homeowner. If the homeowner is a diaspora, labour cost will be higher.

The truth is labour cost is subjective. It is possible to plaster a duplex for 200k and 700k as this is based on individual circumstances.

To me, labour cost is not fraud. Labour cost is not stealing from client. It is an agreed sum by both parties to do a job. So if one thinks the labour cost is too much, negotiate and if not satisfied, look somewhere else. This is never fraud.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 9:01am On May 05, 2019
The standard labour per day i know for skilled labour is 3500-4500 while unskilled labour is 2000-2500.

I make my labour cost estimate based on the ability to complete the job in a day. The final price is fine-tuned with negotiation.

Most plaster jobs are simply plaster. Dressing is another job since some internal doors require dressing and some don't. When we talk of plaster, lets limit it to walls and decking.

Personally, i will plaster long before i install doors so dressing will not be included on plaster labour.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 9:05am On May 05, 2019
bixton:

So what's the output of work per day at this rate?
You are a paying client and you're supposed to be more explicit with numerous jobs done.
Ok, stop now
I thinks you start to play games now do the math
two bricklayers and a service to a room (N9,500.00 for a room)
total came up to about 134k but i end up giving it to a dude for 180k
Dude just put gun to OUR head to take the money now-- by force
by not using gun, guys are robbing us
I go walk lot of store "NOTICE TO SUPPLIERS
Any people trying to sell here put YOUR F PRICE
NO HID AND SEEK
TO THE DUDE THAT WAS GOING TO RETURN MY 10K -LIFE GOES ON AND BUSINESS END WITH YOU
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 9:21am On May 05, 2019
diordaves:

Negotiation

The quality demanded and

The location of the homeowner. If the homeowner is a diaspora, labour cost will be higher.

The truth is labour cost is subjective. It is possible to plaster a duplex for 200k and 700k as this is based on individual circumstances.

To me, labour cost is not fraud. Labour cost is not stealing from client. It is an agreed sum by both parties to do a job. So if one thinks the labour cost is too much, negotiate and if not satisfied, look somewhere else. This is never fraud.

"The location of the homeowner. If the homeowner is a diaspora, labour cost will be higher. "

To people who don't live in Nigeria you are getting robbed

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 9:33am On May 05, 2019
diordaves:

Negotiation

The quality demanded and

I want to understand how the client being in diaspora will make the labour cost higher? Why would the labours know that the client is in diaspora? Who will tell them?

If bread is N10, a person from the diaspora cannot buy it at that price but higher say N15?

No be we dey do ourselves? This is the same reason we are expecting inflation to increase as soon as the new minimum wage is paid. Even palm oil and garri go increase. As soon as purchasing power is higher price goes up for absolutely no reason.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 9:35am On May 05, 2019
adanny01:

I want to understand how the client being in diaspora will make the labour cost higher? Why would the labours know that the client is in diaspora? Who will tell them?

If bread is N10, a person from the diaspora cannot buy it at that price but higher say N15?

No be we dey do ourselves? This is the same reason we are expecting inflation to increase as soon as the new minimum wage is paid.

BECAUSE WE ARE FOOLISH AND THEY CAN USE US
PLEASE DON'T BLAME THE PEOPLE TRYING TO PLAY US BUT OUR FAMILY THAT IS MAKING IT POSSIBLE

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by elengine: 10:40am On May 05, 2019
Nozzle:
There has to be a standard for labour pricing, so we dont under-price workers and over-price clients. Funny enough there are more supply of labour in lagos than anywhere else, yet our prices are still roof-high.
@goodfaith,

i sent you a pm.

i have a project in ibeju lekki that am about to plaster, a 4bedroom duplex and a twin 2bedroom flat. i try to avoid labour from that lekki/ ibeju lekki axis, from experience , so i decided to cross water and get one from ikorodu. when the guy give me bill, i was in shock!.

1.65m internal external and fence!!. (i am pretty sure he saw the size of the building and ofcos the building was in lekki/ibeju lekki axis)

i told him if i see any client give him that kind of money for plastering, i myself will go and learn how to plaster. after a month he is begging for 700k! i still feel i can get it cheaper.

we grind hard for this money.

Bro, have you seen the guys pre ious work? If he is good please you can send me his no as well. That is if he eventually does your work and you are satisfied then I will use him too

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 12:19pm On May 05, 2019
rotecch77:

To all member here, let me drop this here before i stop arguing about the quote the op brought here.

ALHAJI MUFUTA and all others concerned member needs to sanitized this tread before it will go south.

I dont claimed to be mr know it all, i dont know anything, all God knows things all.

But some peoples that do comes here to mislead people here which cleint(s) which few client will now beleived that some engr reap them off ( although some builder, engr, qs are bad) but we still have so many good profectionals here and outside here but due to some NON profectionals QUOTE, TALK, here make some of these profectionals always come to ready and move away without giving any VALUABLE COMMENTS again.

How can someone says that 250K WILL plaster 4BEDROOMS DUPLEX NOW A DAYS.

Just recently a member here gave me 4 bedroom duplex to palstered he is an Engr too.
The cost is more than 900k.( labour only)
Profectional knows that size of building determine the cost.
Single room in the said building was plastered by 4 Masons, (very big space/height). I have done 4 bedroom duplex for 1m plus, some 700k plus so all depends on size and location.

Bros, you don big pass this argument. You just have to say your opinion and ignore nonsensical comments. it is left for the requester of advice to sieve and pick best of advice.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 1:00pm On May 05, 2019
To add my two cents. The usual labour rate is of 2 types.

The first is what you would get from direct labour it starts with under decking which works out at 2 bricklayers and one labour for sitting room and bedrooms and progress to walls. For a standard room walls usually up to about 12ft by 12ft or there about two bricklayers and one labour to work on each room per day(bricklayer 3.5 to 4K and labour 2 to 2 to 2.5k per day in Lagos oh). So each bricklayer does about 24ft. There is then special rate for large sitting room where they may take 2 days and the smaller bathroom, toilets may have one bricklayer or I negotiate to pay the bricklayer a slightly higher rate of say 5k for say kitchen but they will still finish in a day. Then there is the dressing of doors and windows for me it is done as part of the work for the day some would try to get this charged separately. When you work inside you do the dressing inside and when you go outside you complete with the outside plastering.

The second is where you are using an engineer or a professional even the bricklayer and labour expect that the engineer has hammered so they charge a different rate which is 7ft ( I think this is the commercial rate) for a day’s job( make Una see from 24ft to 7ft) it is then up to the Engineer to negotiate a better deal both for himself and his client.

That is why even using the same bricklayer/labourer one person can get a similar property plastered for say 400k and another usually a contractor or engineer will say 1m.

The first will involve some project management and monitoring on the part of the owner while the other na to just send money. There is cost/stress associated with whichever method you choose.

Like most things in Nigeria it is not an exact science so your knowledge of your market and negotiating skills is key.

One should also not forget the inconvenience fees. There are some sites you can’t sleep on site and/or you can only come in and have to leave at certain times. There is also associated cost to this. Some engineers have to pay for places off site or pay daily transport.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 1:58pm On May 05, 2019
Aventures:
Bros, you don big pass this argument. You just have to say your opinion and ignore nonsensical comments. it is left for the requester of advice to sieve and pick best of advice.

Thanks Boss of boss
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 3:53pm On May 05, 2019
[quote author=Olazzeedris post=78112144]
Humm, You're correct! Omo baba bricklayer !
See there's big different btw life and death guess u knw?
But here i reference u as quack mind U not just quack, chief quack .
Anyway I can't blame u, why because you always deal within your remotes community. I guess you knw different btw ( building and house ) for intelligent fellows only! Probably give us the look of your just finished project !
Because I guess u dnt knw the meaning of bungalow mind you not just bungalow.
See here's not a platforms that you be posting trash.
Thanks too Eyin Agba to o jee ki ori mo tun tun o woo!
Twinskeny, Rotech ,Bixton Adedward &co.[/quote am expecting the pictures and the brake down of it, thanks tell him,
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olatunji67POP(m): 4:30pm On May 05, 2019
: My name is Olatunji, a POP expert. I am into POP artworks and designs.

Please consult me for your POP artworks and designs and you will NEVER regret you did. For superb works and affordable fees, I am at your service sirs and ma'am. phone number:07062567817[quote author=Adedward post=78126010][/quote]

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dotman10(m): 4:51pm On May 05, 2019
Hello house,

Can anyone kindly reccomend a carpenter who can help my brother with a wood work of his 3 bedroom project at oju ore (after sango).

I anticipate you response..

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Excel70: 5:23pm On May 05, 2019
[quote author=dotman10 post=78127759]Hello house,

Can anyone kindly reccomend a carpenter who can help my brother with a wood work of his 3 bedroom project at oju ore (after sango).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dotman10(m): 5:54pm On May 05, 2019
Excel70:

Mr Jimoh
He is a popular carpenter in that vicinity

Thanks bro....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cash1115(m): 6:51pm On May 05, 2019
hello everyone, Happy Sunday to you. May we live to witness more of it. Amen

I've noticed many people complain about the frustration of getting P.O.P contractors to give a rough estimate of a building. I've been called scam and such countless times simply because i asked for measurements instead of just quoting something off my head like those in the plumbing, wiring or roofing industry.
The thing is that ceiling differ from all the above simply because measurement depends on a number of factors. Lets say you need a rough quotation for a 3 bedroom flat we have to take into consideration how many other rooms are inclusive i.e laundry room, waiting room, living room, store, walkway, verander, balcony and en-suite. the sizes of each room also matter. Sure, rough estimates can be given if we are able to see the rooms physically, even without measuring.
Therefore,what we do is give you the price per square meter and we go from there. let's say a square meter is #3500 and the square meter for your bedroom is 50, that's 3500*50, and then you do the same for the other rooms. That's how you arrive at the final quotation. I won't just give you an amount off the top of my head simply because you say it's a 3 bedroom flat.
Mind you, the price per square meter is the workmanship and the material. you are not expected to provide the materials.

N.B. You can check out my threads for more info. My mobile number is 07069462837

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 7:39pm On May 05, 2019
dotman10:
Hello house,

I anticipate you response..

Thanks
I can help u for it, kindly call adedward on this no, 08135810794, l will send the one ofy team for u to do it, thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by suchmuch: 11:28pm On May 05, 2019
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 9:50am On May 06, 2019
Iruosonobrugwhe:
and i am been charged 900 per sqm for a simple gypsum/pop mix.......i just laughed.

good morning sir, I received email notification that you sent me an email but I don't use the email any longer.
you could contact me via whatsapp.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Iruosonobrugwhe: 11:16am On May 06, 2019
Done. thanks for your prompt response

gbadexy:

good morning sir, I received email notification that you sent me an email but I don't use the email any longer.
you could contact me via whatsapp.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by shubhamviva(m): 11:26am On May 06, 2019
People having land but do not want to invest their, money in construction. Connect with our
collaborator who will just not construct the whole building but with also do architectural and interior
designs
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 12:35pm On May 06, 2019
Iruosonobrugwhe:
Done. thanks for your prompt response

you're welcome sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by seunpinky(m): 3:37pm On May 06, 2019
Good day house,pls how much is 0.45mm aluminum roofing sheet? I am looking at the most affordable option.
I got a quote for 1,500 per metre, got another for 1,200 and 1,050..
cc: kolashange, money121, spyder88,rottech, and other gurus in the house
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adaowerri111: 5:12pm On May 06, 2019
Dominionng:

It is charged per sqm. Volume, location and most importantly type of design are major factors in deciding rates per sqm. Don't let anyone deceive you that there is a fixed rate per sqm for POP ceiling.
There is what I call
Budget designs(image 1),
Average design(image 2) and
Luxury design(image 3)
In budget designs, one is expected to use a bag of POP cement for 2.8 - 3sqm, 2 - 2.5sqm for average designs and 1 - 1.5sqm for luxury designs. So, since materials involve and time to achieve these designs ain't same, it is expected for rates to vary. Talk of quality ceiling or POP Precast vs Plasterboard is a discussion for another day.
At the moment based on the present hike in POP materials, you can get a good ceiling from 4,000/sqm. Maybe a little lesser if your project is in the eastern part of the country(POP materials is cheaper in the east at the moment).

Are you based in the east?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dfameguy: 9:04pm On May 06, 2019
Hello good evening everyone
Am here for you if you are need of tile, marble, granite, doors, nd sanitary ware
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 11:01pm On May 06, 2019
seunpinky:
Good day house,pls how much is 0.45mm aluminum roofing sheet? I am looking at the most affordable option.
I got a quote for 1,500 per metre, got another for 1,200 and 1,050..
cc: kolashange, money121, spyder88,rottech, and other gurus in the house
hello, the one l supply last, is #1,200, full gauge,
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 11:11pm On May 06, 2019
Adaowerri111:

Are you based in the east?

No, but we are available to handle your project anywhere in the country. Aside of course some parts in Borno State.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nozzle(m): 2:54am On May 07, 2019
My people..i salute o

please does anyone know the current price of sharp and plaster sand 20 tonnes. location ibeju lekki

thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 6:58am On May 07, 2019
Nozzle:
My people..i salute o

please does anyone know the current price of sharp and plaster sand 20 tonnes. location ibeju lekki

thanks

cc Chekitaut
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by seunpinky(m): 4:56pm On May 07, 2019
please what do u mean by full guage? does it mean that there are non-full guage 0.45mm roofing sheets? pls enlighten me
Adedward:
hello, the one l supply last, is #1,200, full gauge,

(1) (2) (3) ... (1158) (1159) (1160) (1161) (1162) (1163) (1164) ... (3669) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ChybuzzDD(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.