Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,530 members, 7,823,308 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1219) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4413671 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1216) (1217) (1218) (1219) (1220) (1221) (1222) ... (3671) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 6:08pm On Aug 28, 2019
Umarzy:

I'm an architect. Having checked the plan, i like it....One of the best designs i have seen so far. Thumbs up to the architect!
Sir chill don't disgrace yourself. smiley
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 6:17pm On Aug 28, 2019
[quote author=rotecch77 post=81681685][/quote]

Bros. Person no run. However, we would try to engage more than we are doing currently. You know people's schedules are different.

Like you pointed out. Some people become bias and unnecessarily agitated when some advise from those on field give.

It's a learning platform for all.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 6:18pm On Aug 28, 2019
Dennis3D:

Bros. Person no run. However, we would try to engage more than we are doing currently. You know people's schedules are different.

Like you pointed out. Some people become bias and unnecessarily agitated when some advise from those on field give.

It's a learning platform for all.
Love this. wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 6:21pm On Aug 28, 2019
Most time we silent people with the way we react to things. You can pass a message without insulting anyone and the exact person in charge will understand your point.
Isn't a good acquisition sir. Pls let's adjust.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Umarzy(m): 6:30pm On Aug 28, 2019
Timtol:

Sir chill don't disgrace yourself. smiley

Okay. Perhaps, you may educate me more, we always learn everyday. Who knows, may be you are one of Frank Lloyd Wright descendants. Let's tap into the knowledge grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 6:32pm On Aug 28, 2019
Umarzy:

Okay. Perhaps, you may educate me more, we always learn everyday. Who knows, may be you are one of Frank Lloyd Wright descendants. Let's tap into the knowledge grin
Lol
It is well.
My favourite Frank Lloyd Wright and Zaha Hadid.
grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Umarzy(m): 6:37pm On Aug 28, 2019
Timtol:

Lol
It is well.
My favourite Frank Lloyd Wright and Zaha Hadid.
grin

Alright
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Takoro13(m): 8:33pm On Aug 28, 2019
Am a cool follower of the House. I don't stay where proudness exist but always belong to argument and debate circuit. One of my ogas in school then told me no perfection in drawing likewise no total perfection in engineering work. Here is where I gain most of the existing experience and standard in building/construction but I never disagreed with the man that want to build with less sum.

Last week, my colleague want to plaster her house but only had less than #100,000. Three bed room bungalow. I told her I can help. She couldn't belief. We stated and finished it today. She was surprised. Less than #50,000 was used for the whole labour work. Some things are not allowed to be said here in this case.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mank1234(m): 8:46pm On Aug 28, 2019
rotecch77:

If you look at it carefully and ponder about the gurus comet here and some home owners, they do give advise based on any OP question and only few or non has ever asked anybody to bring money.
So by labeling us bcs I'm among that no body should give any guru or listen to them here is an understatement.

This was the reason some guru and home owners with good experiences ran away from this thread.

It’s clear that the OP asked for the likely total cost of the project.
Meanwhile you can start with any amount of money since you know the like total cost,
which you also did when you read from page 1-1000 and the thread become an eye opener for you with the help of these guru to start your own building (this should be hyperbole).

There is a big diff between “how much can Someone start with to build so so structure” and “ what is likely cost/ budget someone can spend to construct so so type of structure”

Very true.
Got inspiration from this thread and https://www.nairaland.com/806656/finishing-house-oluwa-champion and was able to start something with my meagre pay.
Learnt how to estimate from buildingcontractorsecretes and other sites.
But for inflation, would have been close to completing.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 8:52pm On Aug 28, 2019
Takoro13:
Am a cool follower of the House. I don't stay where proudness exist but always belong to argument and debate circuit. One of my ogas in school then told me no perfection in drawing likewise no total perfection in engineering work. Here is where I gain most of the existing experience and standard in building/construction but I never disagreed with the man that want to build with less sum.

Last week, my colleague want to plaster her house but only had less than #100,000. Three bed room bungalow. I told her I can help. She couldn't belief. We stated and finished it today. She was surprised. Less than #50,000 was used for the whole labour work. Some things are not allowed to be said here in this case.

Wow that is fantastic, so plastering of both in and out of the 3bedrooms flats with windows dressing and burglary installation less than 50k.
Kudos

But if I may ask how much do you people pay per day for labour and bricklayer in your area plus how many numbers of bricklayer and labour finish the job in how many days

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mank1234(m): 8:57pm On Aug 28, 2019
Takoro13:

It's cheaper in my village. In fact, if you belong to a union, other members can join hands and do it FOC.

I'm talking of mud house
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by timesup234: 9:07pm On Aug 28, 2019
Takoro13:

There bedroom is around 80k to plaster. 50k wont do it. A two flat of three bedroom will cost you 180k for labor
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by boay(m): 10:06pm On Aug 28, 2019
I am happy that some people are disagreeing with some estimates being given here.

Most times I read comments and laugh.

You can't compare the opinion and experience (about construction cost) of someone working in PH, Abuja, Lagos with that of another in Ilesa, Ife, Ede, Akure, Ogbomosho, Ekiti, etc

Even if you claim you have experience, apart from location and nature of the site, the pocket of the client, speed of completion, knowledge and exposure of the client, nature of execution (direct labour or through contract), duration, etc can determine the final cost.

Consult the professionals.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by boay(m): 10:15pm On Aug 28, 2019
timesup234:
There bedroom is around 80k to plaster. 50k wont do it. A two flat of three bedroom will cost you 180k for labor

grin grin grin grin

Nah you fixed the cost? You don't even consider location, size of bedroom and relationship with the bricklayer that will do the work

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Umarzy(m): 10:30pm On Aug 28, 2019
boay:

grin grin grin grin

Nah you fixed the cost? You don't even consider location, size of bedroom and relationship with the bricklayer that will do the work

Thank you, most of them don't consider those factors you mention here. They just give cost anyhow. One thing i can never do.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Umarzy(m): 10:33pm On Aug 28, 2019
boay:
I am happy that some people are disagreeing with some estimates being given here.

You can't compare the opinion and experience (about construction cost) of someone working in PH, Abuja, Lagos with that of another in Ilesa, Ife, Ede, Akure, Ogbomosho, Ekiti, etc

Even if you claim you have experience, apart from location and nature of the site, the pocket of the client, speed of completion, knowledge and exposure of the client, nature of execution (direct labour or through contract), duration, etc can determine the final cost.

Exactly, you can't use lekki mentality/costs for Omu-Aran or Ilorin.. The difference is clear grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by timesup234: 1:50am On Aug 29, 2019
boay:

grin grin grin grin

That's the price unless you like being cheated
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 7:08am On Aug 29, 2019
boay:

God bless you Sir

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rotex111(m): 7:34am On Aug 29, 2019
An uncompleted two bedroom flat built on a plot of land in igoba first gate Akure. All necessary documents available. price; 1.8M, contact for details; 08067920313
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by boay(m): 9:08am On Aug 29, 2019
Umarzy:

Thank you, most of them don't consider those factors you mention here. They just give cost anyhow. One thing i can never do.

There are many more factors

A bricklayer that have been working with for about 5 years will charge me differently than someone that is new to me.

At times, he may even do some things for me sacrificially because of the relationship. However, that cannot be used as standard

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by darenyx(m): 9:11am On Aug 29, 2019
The truth of the matter as regards cost/estimates for construction is that most clients funds/pockets may not actually match their taste ...

True, some quotes on here seem to be on the high side, but if you understand the Nigeria construction industry/market you won't be surprised, cost of materials are never stable, and when when they go up, they rarely decline ...

Truth be told though , there are various ways to cut cost of construction, from the design phase to finishing level, but the big question is if you are ready to accept these alternatives.. we do most things not because we need them or even like them, but because we have seen it somewhere else ..

Who says you must have all bedrooms ensuite?
Who says you must have large bedrooms/kitchen/living room?
Who says you can't build with all Nigerian tiles ?
Who says you must screed your house in and out ?
Wo says you must use pop ceiling ?
Who says you must use casement Windows?

I can go on and on.

Building an affordable home is very possible , but it's all about what you are ready to let go and what you are willing to settle with ...

Talk to your designer/architect/engineer and tell them the amount you are willing to spend on your building/proposed project, and with a little compromise here and there, you can be able to get what makes you happy ...

Cheers

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by boay(m): 9:13am On Aug 29, 2019
timesup234:
That's the price unless you like being cheated

You're funny oooo. I don't like to be cheated neither do I cheat people.

I have worked on a 9 bedroom duplex and a room is 7m by 5m. Can you compare this with the standard 3.6m by 3.6m?

There is what we call limitations and assumptions of estimate.

Every estimate must be accompanied with the limitations and assumptions made to arrived at it.

Will I take the estimate of a 3.6m by 3.6m and apply it blindly to 7m by 5m? No!

I need to adapt the estimate to suit the situation under consideration

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by boay(m): 9:18am On Aug 29, 2019
Umarzy:

Exactly, you can't use lekki mentality/costs for Omu-Aran or Ilorin.. The difference is clear grin

In Ibeju Lekki an iron bender charged me 30k per ton. In Osun I got a bargain of 18k per ton.

Can you see the margin? This is within the same time frame.

That is why some contractors take workmen and artisans to places where the cost of labour seems high from other places (mobility of labour). They will only provide accomodation for them. Especially when the project is of a good magnitude.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Umarzy(m): 9:26am On Aug 29, 2019
boay:

In Ibeju Lekki an iron bender charged me 30k per ton. In Osun I got a bargain of 18k per ton.

Can you see the margin? This is within the same time frame.

That is why some contractors take workmen and artisans to places where the cost of labour seems high from other places (mobility of labour). They will only provide accomodation for them. Especially when the project is of a good magnitude.

Exactly! We did that during the construction of a terrace building in lekki some years back. We only provided accommodation, they fed from their wages.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Umarzy(m): 9:28am On Aug 29, 2019
boay:

You're funny oooo. I don't like to be cheated neither do I cheat people.

I have worked on a 9 bedroom duplex and a room is 7m by 5m. Can you compare this with the standard 3.6m by 3.6m?

There is what we call limitations and assumptions of estimate.

Every estimate must be accompanied with the limitations and assumptions made to arrived at it.

Will I take the estimate of a 3.6m by 3.6m and apply it blindly to 7m by 5m? No!

I need to adapt the estimate to suit the situation under consideration

From your comments so far, it's obvious that you are a professional.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Umarzy(m): 9:36am On Aug 29, 2019
darenyx:
The truth of the matter as regards cost/estimates for construction is that most clients funds/pockets may not actually match their taste ...

True, some quotes on here seem to be on the high side, but if you understand the Nigeria construction industry/market you won't be surprised, cost of materials are never stable, and when when they go up, they rarely decline ...

Truth be told though , there are various ways to cut cost of construction, from the design phase to finishing level, but the big question is if you are ready to accept these alternatives.. we do most things not because we need them or even like them, but because we have seen it somewhere else ..

Who says you must have all bedrooms ensuite?
Who says you must have large bedrooms/kitchen/living room?
Who says you can't build with all Nigerian tiles ?
Who says you must screed your house in and out ?
Wo says you must use pop ceiling ?
Who says you must use casement Windows?

I can go on and on.

Building an affordable home is very possible , but it's all about what you are ready to let go and what you are willing to settle with ...

Talk to your designer/architect/engineer and tell them the amount you are willing to spend on your building/proposed project, and with a little compromise here and there, you can be able to get what makes you happy ...

Cheers

I love this. People tend to do copy copy, not knowing that their pockets no fit afford am.

Who says you must use a pitch/slope of 45 degrees for your hip roof. grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Destiny27(m): 10:48am On Aug 29, 2019
Hello house,

I saw the attached photos in one of the threads and fell in love with the beauty of the wall.

Please what does it take to do this in terms of materials and cost with labour? Looks like painting though.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 11:11am On Aug 29, 2019
Destiny27:
Hello house,

I saw the attached photos in one of the threads and fell in love with the beauty of the wall.

Please what does it take to do this in terms of materials and cost with labour? Looks like painting though.
This is marble eeffect. it's applied with a trowel and varnished.
A drum is N7500 and it covers 18 sqm.
Modified: My painter told me they negotiate the cost of application like they do for painting and cost depends on the negotiation skill of the client coupled with considerations for large areas.
The initial cost of application was for marble trowel which the painter thought was what I asked for the application cost.
Any painter that can apply basecoat ready mixed putty, stucco or flexcoat can apply it.
cc destiny27

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Destiny27(m): 11:21am On Aug 29, 2019
gbadexy:

This is marble eeffect. it's applied wapplied with a trowel and varnished.
A drum is N7500 and it covers 18 sqm. painters charge N1500 per drum for the application.

That's great. Thanks for the response. May I ask if it's done with or without screeding.

Is there an initial painting before the marble effect?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 11:25am On Aug 29, 2019
Destiny27:

That's great. Thanks for the response. May I ask if it's done with or without screeding.
It's like a screeding itself and it doesn't need screeding.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Destiny27(m): 11:28am On Aug 29, 2019
gbadexy:

It's like a screeding itself and it doesn't need screeding.

Thanks. It looks very nice.

Seems better in terms of cost when you compare it to screeding + painting vs just the marble effect (i assume there is no initial painting before the marble effect)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by JosephMay(m): 1:50pm On Aug 29, 2019
GOODNEWS FOR ASTUTE AND SMART ENTREPRENEURS
Do you know that Oba-Osupa Road ( formerly Hospital Road) is now open for highly Competitive, Business and Commercial activities? courtesy of the Ondo State Government who have embarked on dualisation of the Road from Oba- Adesida Road (Police "A" Division Junction) traversing High Court , Nepa Area , down to Oshinle Roundabout , through Ijoka and end in Idanre Town.
Why can't YOU seize the OPPORTUNITY of an AVAILABLE Premises UP FOR SALE. Which is suitable for Banking Services, Shopping Malls, Rendezvous, Private Motor Garage etc?
All relevant documents are available UPON request.
SERIOUS AND INTRESTED BUYER should contact the Agent on 08035371585,08088444840, 09054968951. Mail at josephmay2015@gmail.com. like our Facebook page. Facebook/Joseph May & Co.

2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (1216) (1217) (1218) (1219) (1220) (1221) (1222) ... (3671) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: KelvinCoaster(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.