Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,533 members, 7,837,038 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1345) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4447330 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1342) (1343) (1344) (1345) (1346) (1347) (1348) ... (3679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bobkezel(m): 5:00pm On Mar 16, 2020
yinkaoke:
Hello house. Just to ask some questions.
Will it be nice to use two kinds of window, sliding window mixed with casement, but well distributed. Say like use casement on the front and sliding in the side of the house.

The essence is to manage cost because sliding window is less expensive than casement.
Yes u can use slide on cross ventilated rooms, and use the casement on the rooms that are not cross ventilated.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 5:11pm On Mar 16, 2020
yinkaoke:
Will it be nice to use two kinds of window, sliding window mixed with casement, but well distributed. Say like use casement on the front and sliding in the side of the house.

The essence is to manage cost because sliding window is less expensive than casement.

Yes. You can. Especially at the balconies if there is any. Sliding would work there
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by RockOfAgesAlumi(m): 6:07pm On Mar 16, 2020
Good day my beloved i thank God for the success of work held at ibadan it is one of the member of nairaland that we receive the project from
We are close to you any time any day at affordable price
For your own project we specialize on kinds of aluminium window with buglery or without buglery in various price
Enquiry today
Call :08069609983 Or whatsApp
Thanks

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 6:09pm On Mar 16, 2020
yinkaoke:

You may mix and match as you wish. It's your house but you need to know how much you will save by mix matching as against doing all casement and the advantage of casement over slide. You may discover the cost saving is less than the advantage of all casement.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 6:29pm On Mar 16, 2020
yinkaoke:

Yes you can do so, I did same here

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yinkaoke(f): 6:47pm On Mar 16, 2020
@rotecch waoh looks good. Did u combine to save cost?quote author=rotecch77 post=87498032]

Yes you can do so, I did same here [/quote]
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 6:56pm On Mar 16, 2020
yinkaoke:
@rotecch waoh looks good. Did u combine to save cost?quote author=rotecch77 post=87498032]

Yes you can do so, I did same here

Yes for the purpose of cost saving, I later save about 165,000 then
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 6:59pm On Mar 16, 2020
earthrealm:
Whàt is the appropriate cement, sand and chippings mix for decking of a storey building?.. any tips or tricks to watch out for also for decking?

still waiting for answers abeg..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Neweko: 7:46pm On Mar 16, 2020
Good day people,

I need some advice on replastering a fence, anyone done this before?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tikristinimi21: 7:57pm On Mar 16, 2020
tikristinimi21:

@saydfact your attention is needed here please

@ saydfact, @ rotecch77, you guys attention are needed please
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Biztech05(m): 8:44pm On Mar 16, 2020
Neweko:
Good day people,

I need some advice on replastering a fence, anyone done this before?

This question is not detail enough
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Neweko: 9:15pm On Mar 16, 2020
Hi,
The fence in question was plastered about 30yrs ago, we will like to paint it, is it best to replaster first before painting
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 9:24pm On Mar 16, 2020
Neweko:
Hi,
The fence in question was plastered about 30yrs ago, we will like to paint it, is it best to replaster first before painting
You should have asked me earlier sir cheesy. I will answer it here for the benefit of others.
You apply sterilizing solution on the wall, it would dry off the growth then they scrape it off in addition to the weak paint and repaint.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adewaleID: 9:33pm On Mar 16, 2020
Chairman Gbadexy, will re plaster not make painting easier and better. grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 9:55pm On Mar 16, 2020
adewaleID:
Chairman Gbadexy, will re plaster not make painting easier and better. grin
My chairman! grin grin grin
If the wall is still ok and it's just an issue of growth, getting rid of the growth with a sterilizing solution is cheaper, faster and better but if it's bad, it may be screeded.
I don't know how plastering an already plaster would look like nor know the structural implication on the fence.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Muyi002(m): 10:36pm On Mar 16, 2020
Hello Good People,
Please assist with woods and nails requirement to deal this roofing. 5.5m high. Please ignore the design in the front. The back and front are the same.

Location is Ilorin.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olaleye2real(m): 10:44pm On Mar 16, 2020
Good day house...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hargbo(m): 11:38pm On Mar 16, 2020
bobkezel:
Good evening House, kindly review this
I got this quotation from a carpenter for roofing of a 3bdrm bungalow.
Roofing estimates
3.undles of zinc @60k 180000
18 ridge caps @600 10800
12 long span sheet for clearing @4k 48000
18 upper eave flasher @450 8100
18 bottom flasher @350 6300
18 wall flasher @350 6300
2 Valley gutter @1k 2000
4 packs zinc nail @2k 8000
8 zinc nail gasket @500 4000
3 pack lagos bolt @1k 3000
5 pounds copper nail @300 1500
Total 278000

Wood
120 rafters @1k 120000
1 30 2by3 @300 39000
180 2by2 @250 45000
1 bag 4 inches nail @8k
1 bag 3 inches nail @8k
Total 220000
Workmanship 100k
Grand total 598000
Boss, Your Carpenter gave you a good Quotation o, you can follow him to get the materials, but as far as I am concerned, this is a good Quotation and he is not overcharging you and I don't have a way of gauging whether the quantity of materials he quoted is too much or not because I don't have your building drawings.
But for a Three Bedroom Bungalow, you are safe with that quotation.
Cheers Boss
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bobkezel(m): 11:53pm On Mar 16, 2020
Hargbo:

Boss, Your Carpenter gave you a good Quotation o, you can follow him to get the materials, but as far as I am concerned, this is a good Quotation and he is not overcharging you and I don't have a way of gauging whether the quantity of materials he quoted is too much or not because I don't have your building drawings.
But for a Three Bedroom Bungalow, you are safe with that quotation.
Cheers Boss
Hmmm, the quotation looks though lo
It's not possible for me to follow him. No chance.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ChiefSupplier55(m): 12:40am On Mar 17, 2020
Royalty

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 4:11am On Mar 17, 2020
jp130:
Please i need some assistance concerning over head tank stand embedded in a 3bedroom bungalow flat. What should be the dimension of d pillars/beam? 6" blocks is used as block work

The consensus on here is that stanchion is better in the long run. Embedded tanks like you’re proposing requires great maintenance.

Good luck on your final decision.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hargbo(m): 5:37am On Mar 17, 2020
jp130:
The circled point is where the beams would be stand.
80cm by 80cm basket is used n 16mm rods are used for the beams
you have casted the Foundation footings using a reinforcement of 80cm by 80cm and you have started raising the four columns with a 16mm reinforcement. I can deduce all this from your post.

To answer your question.
Please for your Column use 225mm by 225mm and for the beam that will carry your slab, kindly use 450 by 225.

It is strictly recommend you Damp proof your Walls and Slabs especially if it will carry a water tank in your own case
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jp130(m): 5:46am On Mar 17, 2020
Space is the constraint here, 2000litre tank is to be placed there for domestic use. What should be the dimensions of the coulumns?

Dimension of basket formed n casted= 80cm x 80cm
Coulumn re-enforcement= 16mm rods formed to flush with 6" blocks used.
Please masters, is there anything i should be worried about?

EgunMogaji2:

The consensus on here is that stanchion is better in the long run. Embedded tanks like you’re proposing requires great maintenance.

Good luck on your final decision.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jp130(m): 5:50am On Mar 17, 2020
Tanx boss for your reply, i understand that of the slab n i must ensure it. But how do i make them damp proof walls?

Hargbo:
you have casted the Foundation footings using a reinforcement of 80cm by 80cm and you have started raising the four columns with a 16mm reinforcement. I can deduce all this from your post.

To answer your question.
Please for your Column use 225mm by 225mm and for the beam that will carry your slab, kindly use 450 by 225.

It is strictly recommend you Damp proof your Walls and Slabs especially if it will carry a water tank in your own case

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valentine87: 6:08am On Mar 17, 2020

What is the advantages & disadvantages of building a contemporary bungalow house over the other normal high roof type??

The idea is to build something more unique and the same time manage cost.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by victoronwukwe(m): 7:14am On Mar 17, 2020
Muyi002:
Hello Good People,
Please assist with woods and nails requirement to deal this roofing. 5.5m high. Please ignore the design in the front. The back and front are the same.

Location is Ilorin.

What kind of woodwork is required? Is it woodwork for Aluminium or Stone coated??
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 8:04am On Mar 17, 2020
tikristinimi21:

@saydfact your attention is needed here please

Whats is the height of the concrete stand or height of the building (very important), number of tanks you want to place on it (important)... and the soil type.

Note: If its a waterlogged soil, I'll ask for a design by an Engineer before attempting to..

Goodluck
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jbsky: 8:21am On Mar 17, 2020
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 8:54am On Mar 17, 2020
yinkaoke:

yes boss it's gud, to reduced the cost,
Front house matter most,
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ollykay619(m): 9:36am On Mar 17, 2020
Good day everyone, below is the labour cost and rough estimate of material for a four bedroom bungalow (attached is the floor plan) given to me.

LABOUR
Setting out # 20,000
Digging of foundation 70,000
Casting of foundation # 40,000
Filling of foundation # 70,000
Casting of slabs # 80,000
Setting of Block # 270,000
Casting of lintel # 30,000

MATERIALS:
4500 pieces of Block
10 load of Gravel
9 load of Sand
220 bag of cement

I am mostly concern about the labour cost because I would be on-site to monitor the use of materials.

Please is the Labour cost fair? Or High?

Location is Ibadan

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 12:17pm On Mar 17, 2020
ollykay619:
Good day everyone, below is the labour cost and rough estimate of material for a four bedroom bungalow (attached is the floor plan) given to me.

LABOUR
Setting out # 20,000
Digging of foundation 70,000
Casting of foundation # 40,000
Filling of foundation # 70,000
Casting of slabs # 80,000
Setting of Block # 270,000
Casting of lintel # 30,000

MATERIALS:
4500 pieces of Block
10 load of Gravel
9 load of Sand
220 bag of cement

I am mostly concern about the labour cost because I would be on-site to monitor the use of materials.

Please is the Labour cost fair? Or High?

Location is Ibadan

I believe it is fair (if the 4500 blocks are correct)..

Price it down a bit (especially the block setting can still come to 220k, 230k, 240k) or to whatever you both agree on; but note - its fair
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 12:18pm On Mar 17, 2020
except you want to run solar)inverter for your house, that main lounge/dining/ante arrangement is not good enough for ventilation.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (1342) (1343) (1344) (1345) (1346) (1347) (1348) ... (3679) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: AfroUpdate01, jeffkennedy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.