Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,703 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1400) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4397292 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1397) (1398) (1399) (1400) (1401) (1402) (1403) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 4:42pm On May 28, 2020
Jeff68:
Hello house, and the professionals in the house, pls. I need guidance on tiles and tiling, also, if you can give me a reasonable quote that beats my tiler ,(I won't tell you what his charges are in other not to influence your charge) I will be open to talking with you. Attached are the measurements for my project obtained from the tiler, can you please review and give me your opinion. thanks

hello good evening sir , base on your quotation first i will like to know the kind of the tile you are budget for it like spain, china and Nigeria or do you want to combine it becuse the price depend on the make and quality of the tile , well if you no mind you can hook me up https:///2347087953771 to know your budget and direct you for best to tile use for each area

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snazzy5050(m): 4:46pm On May 28, 2020
twinskenny:
i think the painter...

cc gbadexy
thank you baba
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jeff68: 4:50pm On May 28, 2020
Thanks, I will consider all types and sizes depending on the room, I have all of a sudden become a student of Saydfact!! grin grin I will also consider buying from you if you give me the right prices.

DFAMEGUY11S:
hello good evening sir , base on your quotation first i will like to the kind or of the tile you are budget for it like spain, china and Nigeria or do you want to
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by debeey87(m): 4:54pm On May 28, 2020
Good evening everyone. How long can a decking last without issues of leak or water soaking through to the ground floor building. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 5:02pm On May 28, 2020
snazzy5050 post=9005657o9:
thank you baba
It's the painter. The screeded may want to charge extra for it while it's part of the painter's job.
Besides, the screeder may do a terrible job of it and the painter would still have to do it again to make the painting come out well.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 5:05pm On May 28, 2020
Jeff68:
Thanks, I will consider all types and sizes depending on the room, I have all of a sudden become a student of Saydfact!! grin grin I will also consider buying from you if you give me the right prices.

well buying from me or not is the problem sir what matter is for you to achieve the purpose of you asking the question.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jeff68: 5:21pm On May 28, 2020
I think you misunderstood me, I am not sure which ones yet. whether china, nigerian, spanish.

DFAMEGUY11S:
well buying from me or not is the problem sir what matter is for you to achieve the purpose of you asking the question.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snazzy5050(m): 5:23pm On May 28, 2020
gbadexy:

It's the painter. The screeded may want to charge extra for it while it's part of the painter's job.
Besides, the screeder may do a terrible job of it and the painter would still have to do it again to make the painting come out well.
alright thanks alot, thought I was about to be charged extra....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by opes: 6:18pm On May 28, 2020
gordonbarrett:
The fascia board and the soffit (exterior ceiling. After fixing, it is then screeded.

Got it. merci
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 6:43pm On May 28, 2020
Jeff68:
I think you misunderstood me, I am not sure which ones yet. whether china, nigerian, spanish.

ok sir no problem
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 6:48pm On May 28, 2020
gordonbarrett:
Looks like asbestos, but it is made of cement reinforced with fiber. It has different thickness but 6mm can conveniently serve. A Nigerite 1.2m x 2.4m board sells for around #7500. Attached picture was what convinced me.
You mean those white facials are Nigerite and that cheap?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Donoppy(m): 6:54pm On May 28, 2020
Hello everyone , I am embarking on a project which is a stormy building, a 2unit of 2 bedroom flat up and 2unit of 2 bedroom flat down
And below is the picture of the quotation I got from the builder for just labour charges to the German floor level.
Please I need your advice on how I can negotiate this.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 6:55pm On May 28, 2020
gordonbarrett:
Flat roof (low pitch roof) is much more affordable. You would save a lot of cash from wood and the roofing sheet. It is also very durable, just like any roof type the is properly done. You can enhance the beauty by using fibercement fascia and soffit. My project is at roof level, and that's the option am going for.
Here's what was designed for me and I really love the mono pitch

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 7:01pm On May 28, 2020
Donoppy:
Hello everyone , I am embarking on a project which is a stormy building, a 2unit of 2 bedroom flat up and 2unit of 2 bedroom flat down
And below is the picture of the quotation I got from the builder for just labour charges to the German floor level.
It's too much.

Renegotiate.

I'm paying ₦120k for Ground Slab(German floor casting) and my building is 29mx6.5m on the ground floor.

I can see he is charging you ₦380k for Ground Slab casting

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:10pm On May 28, 2020
Jeff68:

You can also mix. I used Spanish for high traffic major areas like Livingroom,hallways, and staircases where people will use mostly.
I also use Spanish in kitchen floors and walls because of heat. All other areas I use Nigeria or China equivalent.
All the above is based on my pocket o, this is not for everyone.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 7:20pm On May 28, 2020
Jeff68:
@ Saydfact, wow! your site is very educational!!! thanks shocked can I ask, how much do you think I should pay somebody to do this work?

Thanks boss.. I appreciate..

To also encourage contractors (I'm one on other days too) -I prefer you share their quotations here OR in private and I'll advice.

Sometimes the cheaper labour isn't always the cheapest.. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:21pm On May 28, 2020
gbadexy:

Oga mi Sir. I expect a lot from a screeder. If my wall is screeded and it's not smooth, then what is the work of the screeder or what did he screeded? I thought the screeders can fill a hole or gap with putty or cement to make the wall smooth... why should a painter do that.
I know some painters does correct some areas not done well, but I think I will hold the Screeder responsible if my wall is not smooth. Just my expectations o.

@Gbadexy
@Twinskenny
@snazzy5050

Hajji M.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 7:28pm On May 28, 2020
Donoppy:

Hi.. If I advice you would you listen?

1. The 1st 3 items are one, I love how he splitted it to gain more cash.

2. He's charging you to lay nylon on the floor lol.. Who does that

3. The charges are even out of this world...

NOW MY ADVICE.
Don't negotiate with him, tell him you don't need his service.

Offcourse that's my opinion, you don't have to take it BUT save this post.

Goodluck

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Donoppy(m): 7:46pm On May 28, 2020
davodyguy:

It's too much.

Renegotiate.

I'm paying ₦120k for Ground Slab(German floor casting) and my building is 29mx6.5m on the ground floor.

I can see he is charging you ₦380k for Ground Slab casting

Hmm... thank you so much ...
But I think my ground floor should be 11mx22.5 if I am not mistaking
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ThatHistoryGuy(m): 7:47pm On May 28, 2020
Hi Mr Jeff
The kind(quality and size) of tiles you use for either of these space would depend on your financial capacity and also on what you hope to achieve at the end of the day. If you want a beautiful and durable floor then perhaps you go with Spanish made tiles for most of them. Bt if you want some durable tiles that are not necessarily expensive then Nigeria or China can serve . However I do advice my clients to go for Spanish for major areas like sittingroom and dining ,walk ways ,entrance,kitchen wall and floor while they use less expensive bt not necessarily less durable tiles for the other areas .

Jeff68:
Hello house, and the professionals in the house, pls. I need guidance on tiles and tiling, also, if you can give me a reasonable quote that beats my tiler ,(I won't tell you what his charges are in other not to influence your charge) I will be open to talking with you. Attached are the measurements for my project obtained from the tiler, can you please review and give me your opinion. thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Donoppy(m): 7:50pm On May 28, 2020
saydfact:

Hi.. If I advice you would you listen?

1. The 1st 3 items are one, I love how he splitted it to gain more cash.

2. He's charging you to lay nylon on the floor lol.. Who does that

3. The charges are even out of this world...

NOW MY ADVICE.
Don't negotiate with him, tell him you don't need his service.

Offcourse that's my opinion, you don't have to take it BUT save this post.

Goodluck

LOL... Can you tell me what a reasonable price would be to do all this work please .
I would appreciate your honest opinion
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 8:06pm On May 28, 2020
Job Done!!
Another Successful Roofing Project Completed
Site Location: Ibadan Oyo State
Roof Design : Shingle Design
Colour:Wine with Black Patches

To get the Cost that Roofed this Building Call/WhatsApp 08085310359

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:11pm On May 28, 2020
mufutau55:

Oga mi Sir. I expect a lot from a screeder. If my wall is screeded and it's not smooth, then what is the work of the screeder or what did he screeded? I thought the screeders can fill a hole or gap with putty or cement to make the wall smooth... why should a painter do that.
I know some painters does correct some areas not done well, but I think I will hold the Screeder responsible if my wall is not smooth. Just my expectations o.

@Gbadexy
@Twinskenny
@snazzy5050

Hajji M.
Screeders don't do the sandpaper sir. They just screed and smoothen it. Some may want to make extra money and charge for doing it but it's the duty of the painters.
That's why they charge slightly higher for painting screeded wall.
With painter doing the sandpaper, they won't be able to push blame on the screeder for the final outcome.
I know for a fact that all the painters I recommend and use demand for sandpaper and use it before painting.
Painters should be responsible for the surface preparation to give best finish.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:29pm On May 28, 2020
gbadexy:

Screeders don't do the sandpaper sir. They just screed and smoothen it. Some may want to make extra money and charge for doing it but it's the duty of the painters.
That's why they charge slightly higher for painting screeded wall.
With painter doing the sandpaper, they won't be able to push blame on the screeder for the final outcome.
I know for a fact that all the painters I recommend and use demand for sandpaper and use it before painting.
Painters should be responsible for the surface preparation to give best finish.

Thank you for the education sir. It seems I am not understanding the work of screeders then.
I know the painters does patches here and there.
Remember my last project, I thought I needed the painter to do all those patches because it was a cement screeded and the screeder did not do a good job, now I know I was wrong.
So, my next question, what is the importancy of screeding house and why is it needed?
Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:36pm On May 28, 2020
Donoppy:

Haba now, if 875k is for Labour only, how much will the whole foundation consume? What’s is the length and breadth of your building?
This is just too much, shine your eyes.You can get a professional to do a detailed Labour and material schedule .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 8:37pm On May 28, 2020
Donoppy:

NO1. 10k - 15k because its just blinding and shd be done in hours (does not include Iron bender work)
NO2. OK
NO3, 25K
NO4. We're talking of about 2500 blocks (l believe less) here if the design is massive; so 150k - 200k
NO5. 20k
NO6. 50K
NO7. FREE - shd be part of NO6 or done as goodwill, well 10k (2 days work)
NO8. LOL grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
NO9. If what you're using is mesh wire - 5k is OK, but if you're using 8mm rods then 15K
NO10. I don't even know how to price this, cos 150k should do the job.... (minus amount used to rent machine paid seperately)

This prices are generated using 2 bedroom flats x 2 -

TOTAL is about 550k
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ChiefSupplier55(m): 9:02pm On May 28, 2020
Jeff68:

Well Mr Jeff. Hello and Good evening to you too

Base on you post, it depend on what you want to use and where you want use it, all directed to your financial capacity. The most durable tiles is Spanish and italian made tiles and also the most expensive follow by China and then Nigeria. Some people dothis, if it is a commercial house you want to use it then you consider the kind of area the house is located then you know the type of tiles you use for e.g if you build a commercial house in lekki or aja use expensive tiles because thing there are expensive but if it like agbara area then you come down to it level
Mind you you can get less expensive tiles that are durable too maybe not with beautiful design BT durable
But if the house is ur private house then I will advice you get something quality and durable base on your financial capacity, if you can use Spanish throughout then you can mix it. The most traffic path like sittingroom, dinning,walkway,balcony,step you use quality ones then the rest rooms, toilet visitors room and so on
All this I said is not JUST base on my on option only but what I have seen some of my client use

U can check out my tiles if you want
https://www.nairaland.com/4781449/showroom-tiles-tiles-tiles-tiles

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 9:03pm On May 28, 2020
Jeff68:

What's the length and breadth of the building if you assumed it to be rectangular in shape?
Knowing the dimensions of the building will help in verifying the quantities for the measured area.

Secondly, ask Tiles sellers to send you cost/m2 of different types of tiles in order to know the current market price of tiles.

On Labour, cost of laying tiles per square metres is usually between #250 to #500 per square metres depending on the skills of the tiler, experience and your negotiation skill.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jeff68: 9:04pm On May 28, 2020
I am so excited! I got the attention of the great Hajji M!!! God bless you greatly, I have been following you for a while now. Your responses and encouragement is uncanny! Even how you settle disputes! I am a pastor, so I appreciate men like you for your wisdom, you make our job easier. Please continue to do what you do.

You are right sir, that is what I am planning to do, God willing and based on the availability of funds.Thanks again sir.

quote author=mufutau55 post=90061407]

You can also mix. I used Spanish for major areas like Livingroom,hallways, and staircases where people will use mostly.
I also use Spanish in kitchen floors and walls because of heat. All other areas I use Nigerian or China equivalent.

Hajji M.[/quote]
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jeff68: 9:13pm On May 28, 2020
You have really answered my questions, with paragraphs 2& 3!! That gives me a good place to begin. Thanks!!

So a little more on the house, it's a 4 bedroom duplex in the front with 2 -3 bedroom flat at the back for rental. The duplex is pretty much a glorified vacation house, we will not be there all the time, now with that, what type of files should we use since we will not be there all the time, but still want quality.

quote author=QSFemi post=90065165]

What's the length and breadth of the building if you assumed it to be rectangular in shape?
Knowing the dimensions of the building will help in verifying the quantities for the measured area.

Secondly, ask Tiles sellers to send you cost/m2 of different types of tiles in order to know the current market price of tiles.

On Labour, cost of laying tiles per square metres is usually between #250 to #500 per square metres depending on the skills of the tiler, experience and your negotiation skill. [/quote]

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 9:13pm On May 28, 2020
mufutau55:

Thank you for the education sir. It seems I am not understanding the work of screeders then.
I know the painters does patches here and there.
Remember my last project, I thought I needed the painter to do all those patches because it was a cement screeded and the screeder did not do a good job, now I know I was wrong.
So, my next question, what is the importancy of screeding house and why is it needed?
Thanks.

Hajji M.
The screeding fixes cracks and smoothen the wall surface in a way that regular cement and sand plaster can never achieve.
The major difference between the sand/cement plaster and the screeding is the smooth calcium carbonate powder aggregate in the pop emulsion used mix the cement.
With regular plaster, the sand aggregate is rough compared to calcium carbonate powder and it's noticeable from the grainy pores on the surface on cement plaster. With screeding, either with gypsum or portland cement, the surface is smoother because all the materials are powder smooth.
However after the wall is screeded, it would still need to be sandpapered uniformly smooth before painting. The level of smoothness of the screeding would determine how much to sandpaper. Some screeding are so smooth that only slight smooth sandpaper is necessary.
Your cement screeding was smooth sir. The painter only had to fill some cracks on the cement screeding.
Cement screeding have the tendency to crack unlike pop and basecoat putty.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ChiefSupplier55(m): 9:14pm On May 28, 2020
mufutau55:

You can also mix. I used Spanish for high traffic major areas like Livingroom,hallways, and staircases where people will use mostly.
I also use Spanish in kitchen floors and walls because of heat. All other areas I use Nigerian or China equivalent.

Hajji M.

All correct sir

I salute

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1397) (1398) (1399) (1400) (1401) (1402) (1403) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Adedward(m), RockOfAgesAlumi(m), fashrola(m), BabaChicago(m), diordaves(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.