Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,064 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1482) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4389482 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1479) (1480) (1481) (1482) (1483) (1484) (1485) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n9jaboy: 10:45am On Jul 26, 2020
Hello all,
I'do appreciate you can help take a look at my 3 bedroom floor plan for criticism/recommendation. While i am yet to conclude this plan and get BOQ (out of curiosity-can 3M build this + roofing)? your input will be appreciated. Thanks

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by qwertyboss(m): 11:01am On Jul 26, 2020
n9jaboy:
Hello all,
I'do appreciate you can help take a look at my 3 bedroom floor plan for criticism/recommendation. While i am yet to conclude this plan and get BOQ (out of curiosity-can 3M build this + roofing)? your input will be appreciated. Thanks
The dimensions are important for estimates and your plan lack dimensions.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:40am On Jul 26, 2020
Chekitaut:
Agbalagba, i hail ooo i still pondering over this, but a ton of granite in ibadan is N3,000/ton x20=N60,000, N15k for transportation that means the quarry is 4 street to your site, or perhaps magomago don enter... The closest Quarry to your location is CNC Quarry but stop working long time ago, hence the closest is Odeda Quarry, Ogun State.

My Chief, me I just report what the tipper drivers charge.

As we builders no get scale for our site how we go take no if mago mago dey or not? grin

Or maybe Lagos people charge too much in transport fees.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:42am On Jul 26, 2020
n9jaboy:
Hello all,

N3M?

Forgetaboutit!

Please don’t slap together an unsafe building.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:44am On Jul 26, 2020
KolaShangOne:

Moniya, Ojoo, Eleyele axis...

Stone dust blocks..
6” blocks N170
9” blocks N210

Ordinary blocks
6” blocks N150
9” blocks N180

20 ton plaster sand N40K
20 ton granite N90K
Cement to site N2,600

Oya, come and Chekitaut.

Oga Kola paid N90K, is mago mago there? grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:11pm On Jul 26, 2020
ollykay619:

Good day sir, I am been charged 90k for 20 tons in ibadan, mosfala area. Can I get the supplier contact?

I'm blessed to be just off the Ibadan/Abeokuta road in Omi Adio. There's a constant parade of sand trucks here. When we're running low I just hail one and make an order.

I'll help you ask one for a number tomorrow. But for Mosfala area I think your best bet is to go to the quarry on Lagos/Ibadan road. They are all parked there and will swamp you when you get there. Seek out a responsible looking gentleman, he probably owns the truck and try to make a deal. That's what I did when I was building at Elebu.

But to be sincere, N90K is not that far from N75K (I know it's still money) but still far better than the N200K in Lagos.

Just my rambling thoughts.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:15pm On Jul 26, 2020
Abolarin91:
So the client should go and fetch water for him or what, when there is water in the next house?

It's on a case by case basis.

I am about six plots away from a river (uphill) and my current bricklayer has never brought up the issue of water. I noticed that it is slowing them down so I will be buying a gasoline powered pump to get water to them starting tomorrow as we're gearing up to do a build.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:18pm On Jul 26, 2020
DaBogu:
Please what's can be done to remedy the situation of the crack wall in the picture below

Not sure what it's called but I hope that you did a poured concrete type of foundation. If not then you'll be tossing money away. I've heard terminologies like underpinning, etc on here so let the Oga patapatas come in.

Darenyx, Aventures, Spyder880, Skimanski please chime in to help. Thanks.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:37pm On Jul 26, 2020
For those that are building on a budget and came here for a lesson. Please try to roam around the properties section for great historical threads from notable builders like Skimanski, Aventures, KolaShangOne, Darenyx, Spyder880, etc

These guys have selflessly shared their professional system with us so that we can learn.

I have been offered many land that sits near rivers, dry waterbeds, etc that I refused or tried to negotiate to a lower price. I know what it requires to live with water and it's expensive. We've had house collapses on here, we've had sinking houses on here.

The type of foundation is important. Those that are building in Lekki etc and spend millions on foundation are not throwing money away, it's what is required in most cases.

When you're building near water or a storied house then you most definitely need experienced pros that includes a structural engineer, you need soil test, etc.

Good luck on your projects.

Sample pictures from a Skimanski thread. If you're doing a self build and not experienced then these threads from Skimanski and Spyder880 are required readings.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:13pm On Jul 26, 2020
Abolarin91:
Sir, there is water close to the site. What he wanted is that we should get someone to fetch the water for him
I also work outside, recently I work for a nairalader at ikorodu, we only talk on phone and he directed me to her house, will I call her to come and get me water? When we are not in a desert grin

Ah! Ok. If the distance to fetch the water is not that far, the he should surely do it. But may be he does not want anything to hold-up his work or add any un-necessary hardship to his daily work.
But still advise your brother about borehole, so he can save some money. Thank you.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by loffers(m): 1:49pm On Jul 26, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Oya, come and Checkitaut.

lol
I think Lagos is just too expensive.
In Abj a tonnage is between N2,500 and N2,800, while transport is around 13K-15K for 20tonne load

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kenazuu(m): 2:22pm On Jul 26, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Not sure what it's called but I hope that you did a poured concrete type of foundation. If not then you'll be tossing money away. I've heard terminologies like underpinning, etc on here so let the Oga patapatas come in.

Darenyx, Aventures, Spyder880, Skimanski please chime in to help. Thanks.

Baba EgunMogaji2, the high chief of Ibadan land, are u around? i dey hail oooo

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 2:48pm On Jul 26, 2020
DaBogu:
Please what's can be done to remedy the situation of the crack wall in the picture below

I don't think it's the foundation as suggested by some. The problem is obviously the lintel. The lintel failed at that point.

Solution: join the balcony lintel with the window lintel or cast a column at that point between the balcony lintel and the window lintel. It's not a big problem.

Don't fall for over diagnosis and make a mole out of an ant hill and then waste so much money for nothing. It is a bungalow. For a bungalow, your foundation should be adequate for the most situation. If the crack is ONLY the point you showed, your foundation is fine.

What probably happened is during natural settlement. ALL built (foundation) settle evenly after a certain time. But with your project, the during the settlement, that point failed because of the block quality and block joint work between the balcony and the window.

Lintel is very important in a building. Badly done, you will experience crack. Not all cracks are foundation caused. More cracks are caused by poor lintel than by foundation. I've noticed in Nigeria we tend not to be aware of the importance of lintel work.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 2:57pm On Jul 26, 2020
JustCryptos:

@ point 3. My site engineer recommended I buy condemned sharp sand instead of laterite for filling. So, this will be the end result. Thanks man.

You can buy condemned sharp. BUT make sure it doesn't contain those things listed above.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 3:21pm On Jul 26, 2020
kenazuu:

Baba EgunMogaji2, the high chief of Ibadan land, are u around? i dey hail oooo

Me that have retired back to Nigeria over a year ago. We dey enjoy this our Buhari period together.

So when is Madam going to cook “Ofe Owerri” grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 3:21pm On Jul 26, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Oya, come and Checkitaut.

The father away you are from a Quarry, the more the cost.

I buy 1 ton for 2800 - 3000 in Ibadan.

1 buy 1 ton for 10,000 in PH, Abia..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 3:22pm On Jul 26, 2020
loffers:

lol
In Abj a tonnage is between N2,500 and N2,800, while transport is around 13K-15K for 20tonne load

Personally I don’t see any redeeming quality about Lagos.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 3:26pm On Jul 26, 2020
I still bought granite for 30tonne at the rate of 180k .Full load and its only on this thread that i keep hearing 200k to 230k for 30tonnes . I still hv 2 trailers on ground incase u want to see for evaluation
loffers:

lol

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ollykay619(m): 3:30pm On Jul 26, 2020
[quote author=EgunMogaji2 post=92122908]

I'm blessed to be just off the Ibadan/Abeokuta road in Omi Adio. There's a constant parade of sand trucks here. When we're running low I just hail one and make an order.

I'll help you ask one for a number tomorrow. But for Mosfala area I think your best bet is to go to the quarry on Lagos/Ibadan road. They are all parked there and will swamp you when you get there. Seek out a responsible looking gentleman, he probably owns the truck and try to make a deal. That's what I did when I was building at Elebu.

But to be sincere, N90K is not that far from N75K (I know it's still money) but still far better than the N200K in Lagos.

Just my rambling thoughts.[/quote
Okay. Thank you sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 3:46pm On Jul 26, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

As we builders no get scale for our site how we go take no if mago mago dey or not? grin

From Odeda Quarry to Omi-Adio is 25-30k for transport. The guy don scam big time. Or u not on site sef wen they arrive.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 3:48pm On Jul 26, 2020
Enyinne:
I still bought granite for 30tonne at the rate of 180k .Full load and its only on this thread that i keep hearing 200k to 230k for 30tonnes . I still hv 2 trailers on ground incase u want to see for evaluation
where is your location, i will break it down to you. maybe the truck is manipulated you dont know.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by donwizfit2(m): 4:22pm On Jul 26, 2020
pls I need advice on a cracked wall that affected inside and outside of the building how can I get it fixed I need explanation pls
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by donwizfit2(m): 4:28pm On Jul 26, 2020
rotecch77:

You didn’t get “akin4sure” right, you asked for estimate of materials NOT quotation as contractor.
So the man charged you as QS to give estimate for the materials etc (bill of quantity) Not as a contractor biding for work.
estimate of material is also shown in quotation

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by donwizfit2(m): 4:29pm On Jul 26, 2020
Abbyrose:
@Donwizfit2
no contractor does not charge for quotation but you can show him or give him token for appreciation

Thanks for your response. I wasn't expecting him to charge for giving a quotation. Yes, giving something in appreciation is a good gesture which I don't mind.
we are on the same page
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kenazuu(m): 4:42pm On Jul 26, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Me that have retired back to Nigeria over a year ago. We dey enjoy this our Buhari period together.

So when is Madam going to cook “Ofe Owerri” grin

Really, me I nor know now. I go halla u when I enter ib.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kenazuu(m): 4:48pm On Jul 26, 2020
Granite in ibadan is not that expensive even with transport. The last time I bought for my flooring was last October or so at 75k for 20tons and this is the highest price. Like Egun said earlier, we don't have scale to check the accurate tons.

EgunMogaji2:

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rockyheight: 4:49pm On Jul 26, 2020
I pray God gives you the grace to upload the video

1.) Are you Sure? If yes, please show us picture proof that it was well compacted.

2.) What material.did you use in filling void spaces? The material used if you want to do your "German floor" immediately after filling IS different from what you use when you want to give room for natural compaction.

3) I've seen people use rubbish to fill. They called it condemned sharp sand. It contained grasses, nylon, plastic etc
Infact it was brought to my site by the client and when I rejected it, the supplier claimed I'm not happy because I wasn't buying materials.

4. I'll like to note that.. Sometimes, people can't afford professionals. So we can help them from here. Infact I want to upload YouTube videos on how to build a 3 bedroom from start to finish.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kenazuu(m): 4:50pm On Jul 26, 2020
Make life easy for us now by putting price.

Pascopele:
Hello! I have cracks in my wall can I have your contacts?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kenazuu(m): 5:00pm On Jul 26, 2020
The truth is that many percentage of us building house always entrust our entire house project to these engineers who try to cut corners at our own risk. I followed my project from day one to the end. Always take time to come ask expert on nairaland about the stages of your project.

The day I was so busy at the office was the day the site guys did wonders on the German floor. After calculating the total numbers of cement based on the mixture ratio, they decided to use 2/3 of Total cement required. I regreted that day cos there was enough cement for the job but for the reason best known to them they used less quantity.

So monitor your project yourself and ask question before any phase.

quote author=Rockyheight post=92131396]I pray God gives you the grace to upload the video

1.) Are you Sure? If yes, please show us picture proof that it was well compacted.

2.) What material.did you use in filling void spaces? The material used if you want to do your "German floor" immediately after filling IS different from what you use when you want to give room for natural compaction.

3) I've seen people use rubbish to fill. They called it condemned sharp sand. It contained grasses, nylon, plastic etc
Infact it was brought to my site by the client and when I rejected it, the supplier claimed I'm not happy because I wasn't buying materials.

4. I'll like to note that.. Sometimes, people can't afford professionals. So we can help them from here. Infact I want to upload YouTube videos on how to build a 3 bedroom from start to finish.[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kenazuu(m): 5:07pm On Jul 26, 2020
n9jaboy:
Hello all,

Bros nor go there. 3M for 3bedroom flat? Do not be deceived ooooo. Just take your time small small. No rushing ooooo.

Itemise what you need to buy.

1. Blocks 9 or 6inch
2. Granite or gravel
3. Sand
4. Cement
5. Pillars if needed (rod)
6. Setting and digging of foundation
7. Setting of blocks
8. Cost of labour
9. Omo onile if na you yoruba land
10. Water
11. Lintel stage and so on.

Hope this go guide us small.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:09pm On Jul 26, 2020
Chekitaut:
From Odeda Quarry to Omi-Adio is 25-30k for transport. The guy don scam big time. Or u not on site sef wen they arrive.

As a retired person I have no where else to go to but be onsite.

If you say na scam is okay. I know it’s not but no worries grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (1479) (1480) (1481) (1482) (1483) (1484) (1485) ... (3667) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.