Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,407 members, 7,853,801 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 02:01 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1547) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4487089 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1544) (1545) (1546) (1547) (1548) (1549) (1550) ... (3690) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 5:59pm On Aug 25, 2020
emmyN:

How many coatings are required for this please?

2 coats
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 6:03pm On Aug 25, 2020
Thenext:
Good evening my Oga dem,

Please like how much one can budget for decking of 330sqm.

CC
n3xt
rotecch77
Dennis3D
Egunmogaji

Budget 3.8-4.3m

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 6:10pm On Aug 25, 2020
rotecch77:
Watch out for the final laps of this project ...painting.

The cleint contacted us here few months ago for tiling work which the client was so happy with the job. boom we got more job from him

Here are some work done before we are awarded the painting job to handle again.

Tiling, stainless railing etc

Well done bro.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 6:11pm On Aug 25, 2020
rotecch77:

Budget 3.8-4.3m

More like it... That range is realistic

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by emmyN(m): 6:17pm On Aug 25, 2020
rotecch77:

2 coats

Doesn't sound bad. I'm looking at 10.2m x 11.4m. From your specification, two drums should do?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 6:19pm On Aug 25, 2020
Dennis3D:

Well done bro.

Thanks honorable colleague
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by igboitalo: 6:23pm On Aug 25, 2020
rotecch77:

Thanks honorable colleague
rotech HV sent u email but no reply
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 6:27pm On Aug 25, 2020
emmyN:

Doesn't sound bad. I'm looking at 10.2m x 11.4m. From your specification, two drums should do?

9ltrs will cover the said area
Means you needed 2 gallon of 5ltrs each equal 10ltrs
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 6:35pm On Aug 25, 2020
igboitalo:
rotech HV sent u email but no reply

Replied yesterday , check your mail
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olaleye2real(m): 6:47pm On Aug 25, 2020
Malevonent:
good day, all, interesting thread i must say
pls i need your input in the areas below.

1. for an average 5br bungalow, i got a builder who wants 1.3m as fees and labour to take it from start to roofing level. i will only supply materials, i am a newbie in building, so dont really have an idea, however, i feel its high, cos og going through some pages of this thread, i saw where 250k was paid as fees alone for foundation to lintel of 5br duplex

2. a pals painter gave him a quote of 2.6m for painting a 5br duplex, siad paint is 28k per drum [dulux substitute] and that it would be over 4.2m if he is to use dulux.. i know without dimensions, it may be difficult to tell, but i just want to have idea about avg cost of painting duplex.

3. any ingenious plumber in the house?.. for a duplex, owner wants to keep the tank on the ground, or even below ground, and use a booster pump to pressurerize the water supply, 24/7 power is available, so power isnt an issue, has someone tried this approach..any lessons learnt or this plan isnt feasible?.

Yes am a plumber you can contact or WhatsApp me on the no sir.. 08162811003

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 6:47pm On Aug 25, 2020
Thenext:
Good evening my Oga dem,

CC
n3xt
rotecch77
Dennis3D
Egunmogaji
Location?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bakin3(m): 7:25pm On Aug 25, 2020
We construct Bio digester (Modern Sockaway).
Benefits
✔you no longer call trucks to come evacuate human waste,
✔it doesn't smell
✔it doesn't attract flies or crokroaches,
✔just a small space is needed for it,
✔it's eco-friendly
✔and doesn't contaminate the groundwater

Check my signature.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hargbo(m): 7:33pm On Aug 25, 2020
Thenext:
Good evening my Oga dem,

CC
n3xt
rotecch77
Dennis3D
Egunmogaji
Drop your structural drawings and floor plans, and I will help you with a quote
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mrsteel: 8:53pm On Aug 25, 2020
Rexology:
Please, is it necessary to chain all the wall of a 3bedroom flat with lintel?
If u have d funds, do it!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by emmyN(m): 9:59pm On Aug 25, 2020
rotecch77:

9ltrs will cover the said area
Means you needed 2 gallon of 5ltrs each equal 10ltrs

Thank you. This should be the better alternative. My local painter had recommended four to five drums of the base emulsion paint sold for about N3,500.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 10:09pm On Aug 25, 2020
emmyN:

Thank you. This should be the better alternative. My local painter had recommended four to five drums of the base emulsion paint sold for about N3,500.
My unsolicited advice. 10m by 11m should be around 60 something sqm when you factor in the height.
You will also include the materials that would give you well prepared surface to drastically reduce absorption on the wall.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Shegman22(m): 10:10pm On Aug 25, 2020
GoodFaith:

I like stamped concrete better but areas with pipe i think using interlock is better
I am now thinking of doing the back with interlock and the driveway stamp concrete
Good evening, anytime u are ready contact me for interlock and stamping polish floor. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by emmyN(m): 10:17pm On Aug 25, 2020
gbadexy:

My unsolicited advice. 10m by 11m should be around 60 something sqm when you factor in the height.
You will also include the materials that would give you well prepared surface to drastically reduce absorption on the wall.

By these materials, you mean screeding, sanding, and priming?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 10:19pm On Aug 25, 2020
emmyN:

By these materials, you mean screeding, sanding, and priming?
I mean special primers that stabilises the wall to reduce it's soaking up paint.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by emmyN(m): 10:29pm On Aug 25, 2020
gbadexy:

I mean special primers that stabilises the wall to reduce it's soaking up paint.

How is this like? Do you have any brand name?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 10:47pm On Aug 25, 2020
emmyN:

How is this like? Do you have any brand name?
I was just stating my observation as regards the quantity suggested you use with your measurement and possible condition that would make the given spread rate feasible.
I can't mention a brand name for you since I have my own brand name and I don't want to make categorical statement on other brands.
Whatever brand there is would have their own unique primers for different purposes.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by emmyN(m): 11:02pm On Aug 25, 2020
gbadexy:

I was just stating my observation as regards the quantity suggested you use with your measurement and possible condition that would make the given spread rate feasible.
I can't mention a brand name for you since I have my own brand name and I don't want to make categorical statement on other brands.
Whatever brand there is would have their own unique primers for different purposes.

Okay, thank you. Your advice is very much appreciated. Just seen some pictures of your paint work. They are just as nice.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Perfecttouchade: 12:58am On Aug 26, 2020
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:36am On Aug 26, 2020
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:28am On Aug 26, 2020
«««Are You Building A New House? Read this tips »»»

- If you are sticking to a tight budget try not to over indulge in luxury items at the cost of more important features of your house.

- The bigger it is, the more expensive it becomes. Each square foot costs money and if it just going to be superfluous you should think twice about having it.

- Go for cheaper options of certain items. For example, instead of actual granite top you could opt for a tile lookalike. Whilst the finish isn’t quite as deluxe, it still does the job and will save you a couple of naira.

- Ask Many Questions? This sounds simple, but if something does not seem right at the time, it most likely isn’t – don’t be afraid to ask any questions about it, it’s better to be safe than sorry. You could even ask an outside and impartial source.

- Remember your priorities - Know where to save and where not to bat an eye. If your foundations are dodgy, then the whole building is doomed.

- Always remember that things will most likely go wrong during the construction and this may mean that schedules have to adapt. Pray for sunshine throughout your house build!

- Imperfections are inevitable but they can more often than not be fixed; just ask.

- Record everything. Write down everything you agree on in a very simple and understandable manner, if it’s just spoken words it can be interpreted differently by both you and the builder. If you write down everything and keep a detailed record of all agreements you can minimise disputes.
Valley gutter is not the same thing as roof gutter (water collector). Write in your own understanding Roof Gutter - The white thing they put by the roof mouth that prevent rain from falling down grin grin grin

A man got quotes from 2 reputable roofing companies. One had rainwater water gutter system and all the roofing materials. The other had only roofing materials and subtly mentioned valley gutter.
The man went for the cheaper quote believing the two companies are quoting for the same thing.

- Keep everything; receipts, sales slips, model
numbers, chat messages, phone call records.
This might sound too much, but it will be required if anything were to go wrong or disputes were to arise.

- Make sure you have a detailed plan of everything you require from the house build, it will allow for a much smoother construction period and a far better result. No builder have x-ray vision.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:39am On Aug 26, 2020
Thenext:
Good evening my Oga dem,

CC
n3xt
rotecch77
Dennis3D
Egunmogaji

I can’t give any figure until I see your structural drawings and know your build-route (DIY owner-build, contractor managed or something in-between)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 5:44am On Aug 26, 2020
emmyN:

Okay, thank you. Your advice is very much appreciated. Just seen some pictures of your paint work. They are just as nice.
Thank you sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Godsgift7837: 6:18am On Aug 26, 2020
Please my people I need a quote on how much a foundation for a 3 bedrooms en-suite Bungalow Will cost.. on a 50 by 100 plot of land.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 6:34am On Aug 26, 2020
Godsgift7837:
Please my people I need a quote on how much a foundation for a 3 bedrooms en-suite Bungalow Will cost.. on a 50 by 100 plot of land.

Location,? Is the land dryland?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SurveyorGeo: 6:42am On Aug 26, 2020
UNDERSTANDING LAND SIZES AND MEASUREMENT
================================

Most people who purchase land don't really understand the meaning of these Real Estate terms. As a potential buyer wishing to buy a land or build a new house you must be conversant with a few of these figures. The first hurdle is to understand the system of Land measurement in Nigeria.

In Nigeria today, Land is measured in Hectares, Acres, Meters and Feet. These measurements are affected by factors, which include development pattern, human and environmental factors.

Let's start by asking what is the size of a standard plot in Nigeria?

According to the dictionary meaning of a plot: A plot is a marked out piece of Land for the purpose of building or farming. The word 'plot' is an arbitrary term used to describe a land division carved out for property development.

The size of a plot can vary for different reasons but according to Nigeria's land division, the appropriate plot for a house construction is 50 x 100ft / 15.24 × 100.48 meters which can accommodate a standard house with a small compound. To better understand land divisions used in Nigeria, different units of area are used as follows:

HECTARE
========
A hectare is one of the least known metric units and one which potential buyers and Estate developers seem to struggle with -

It is a land measuring:
��100m x 100m OR
��328ft x 328ft OR
��10,000 sqm OR
��Two and half acres OR
��15 plots.

ACRE
=====
An Acre is a standard unit of measurement used by Land sellers and it is almost equivalent to the size of a standard football field. An Acre is a product of any rectangular plot of land giving a total of:

��4,046sqm OR
��43,560 sq ft OR
��6 plots (each measuring 60ft x 120ft 18.288 × 36.576 meters )

PLOT
====
In Lagos State, the standard size of a plot is 60ft x 120ft (18m x 36m i.e. 648 sqm), while in some other cities of the country, plots are measured in 50ft x 100ft (15.24 × 30.48 meters)

HOW TO UNDERSTAND LAND TITLE AND DOCUMENTS
=================================

Real Estate Coach Spark shares this, though copied, but I feel we should go through it.

SURVEY PLAN
===========

A Survey plan is a document that measures the boundary of a parcel of land to give an accurate measurement and description of that land. The people that handle survey issues are Surveyors and they are regulated by the office of the Surveyor general of the state as it relates to survey issues in the state. A survey plan must contain the following information:

1. The name of the owner of the land surveyed

2. The Address or description of the land surveyed

3. The size / area of the land surveyed

4. The drawn out portion of the land survey and mapped out on the survey plan document

5. The beacon numbers

6. The surveyor who drew up the survey plan and the date it was drawn up

7. Seal of the Surveyor signing the document

EXCISION
========

Land Use Decree on the 28th of March, 1978 that vested all lands in every state of the Federation under the control of the State Governors. The Land Use Act coupled with other laws made it possible for the Governor who was now the owner of all lands in the state to actually have the power to Acquire more lands compulsorily for its own public purpose to provide amenities for the greater good of the citizens.

Fortunately, the government recognizes that indigenes of different sections of the country have a right to existence . . . a right to the land of their birth. Hence, it is customary for state government to cede a portion of land to the original owners (natives) of each area.

An Excision means basically taking a part from a whole and that part that has been excised, will be recorded and documented in the official government gazette of that state.

GAZETTE
========

A Gazette is an Official record book where all special government details are spelt out, detailed and recorded

A gazette will show the communities or villages that have been granted excision and the number of acres or hectares of land that the government has given to them. It is within those excised acres or hectares that the traditional family is entitled to sell its lands to the public and not anything outside those hectares of land given or excised to them.

A Gazette is a very powerful instrument the community owns and can replace a Certificate of Occupancy to grant title to the Villagers. A community owning a gazette can only sell lands to an individual within those lands that have been excised to them and the community or family head of that land has the right to sign your documents for you if you purchase lands within those excised acres or hectares of land.

DEED OF ASSIGNMENT
===================

A Deed of Assignment is an Agreement between the Seller of a Land or Property and a Buyer of that Land or property showing evidence that the Seller has transferred all his rights, his title, his interest and ownership of that land to that the Seller that has just bought land.

The Deed of Assignment has been exchanged between both parties, it has to be recorded in the land registry to show legal proof that the land has exchanged hands and the public should be aware of the transaction. Such recorded Deed of Assignment come in the form of either a Governor's Consent or Registered Conveyance

CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY
========================

A Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) issued by the Lagos State Government officially leases Lagos land to you, the applicant, for 99 yrs. As already indicated above, all lands belong to the Government.

A C of O however is the officially recognized Document for demonstrating Right to a Land.
What happens after 99 years? That question is still subject of debate among experts. Most have adopted a wait-and-see attitude. Others postulate that as the new owner of the land, you the buyer, can renew the certificate of occupancy when it expires. That makes sense, but for now is largely a case of we shall see.
For more information call 08069018449

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Godsgift7837: 6:51am On Aug 26, 2020
raymondFirstborn:

Location,? Is the land dryland?
Yes it’s a dry land in Edo state.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1544) (1545) (1546) (1547) (1548) (1549) (1550) ... (3690) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: fabulous85, Scrap, chidi4sam(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.