Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1557) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4398241 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1554) (1555) (1556) (1557) (1558) (1559) (1560) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:01pm On Aug 30, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
I have an upcoming build that has a hidden roof on all four sides.

Please educate me on how you’ve done it. Please with pictures if possible.

I’m clueless on how the water runoff on the downward slope will be handled.

Also, is .7 gauge roofing material in the market?

Muchas Gracias.

I’ve done a couple of flat roofs using wood, steel, concrete slab and recently exploring the option of galvanized polystyrene necked panels with Zifax Global Services

There are so many way to achieve this but here are examples of the things we’ve done.

You can check tower for .7 gauge roofing sheet. That’s the only place where you can get complete gauge and you can tell the difference when holding it.

Pic 1 & 2: Hidden Roof
I fought the architect very hard on this design because the design didn’t make room for maintenance but he was insistent.

Pic 3: Galvanized Polystyrene by Zifax being considered for flat roof slab installation.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:07pm On Aug 30, 2020
n3xt:

I’ve done a couple of flat roofs using wood, steel, concrete slab and recently exploring the option of galvanized polystyrene necked panels with Zifax Global Services

There are so many way to achieve this but here are examples of the things we’ve done.

You can check tower for .7 gauge roofing sheet. That’s the only place where you can get complete gauge and you can tell the difference when holding it.

I fought the architect very hard on this design because the design didn’t make room for maintenance but he was insistent.

Pic 3: Galvanized Polystyrene by Zifax being considered for flat roof slab installation.

Pic 1 - 4: Hidden Steel Roof
We introduced steel gutters which take water directly from the roof into the water outlet. The aim is to ensure water is not having any contact with the slab. The steel was coated with antirust and coal tar.

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:08pm On Aug 30, 2020
n3xt:

We introduced steel gutters which take water directly from the roof into the water outlet. The aim is to ensure water is not having any contact with the slab. The steel was coated with antitrust and coal tar.

We also clad all the wall with aluminum sheet.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:14pm On Aug 30, 2020
We use .7 gauge to make gutter for the woodwork in Pic 1 below.

Pic 2 - 4 had concrete roof gutter system.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by qdlvy: 8:18pm On Aug 30, 2020
n3xt:

We introduced steel gutters which take water directly from the roof into the water outlet. The aim is to ensure water is not having any contact with the slab. The steel was coated with antitrust and coal tar.

Really like what you're doing in this build. Do you have a thread for this build? If not, do you mind creating one?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:13pm On Aug 30, 2020
qdlvy:

Really like what you're doing in this build. Do you have a thread for this build? If not, do you mind creating one?

Thank you. I don’t have a dedicated thread for the project on Nairaland.

You can check for pic updates on this build here:
https://nexthomebuilds.boards.net/thread/10/construction-journal-024-nexthome?page=1

Or here: https://www.facebook.com/199049746782483/posts/1463771010310344/?d=n

I stopped creating new threads since 2016 grin
Maybe I’d resume by 2023 when the official Brabus ID is back.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 9:20pm On Aug 30, 2020
n3xt:

Nice idea. Especially here where there are too many fake roofing felt.

The original felt are very expensive

All product are standardised here so fake product hardly find their way into the market. A role of bitumen sheet or felt of 7.5m cost an average of €61/28k.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:21pm On Aug 30, 2020
n3xt:

I’ve noted Tower for the aluminum. Thanks.

Do you have close up pictures of this area arrowed? That’s the part giving me fits.

If all else fails I might just do a concrete deck.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:33pm On Aug 30, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I’ve noted Tower for the aluminum. Thanks.

Do you have close up pictures of this area arrowed? That’s the part giving me fits.

If all else fails I might just do a concrete deck.

I do. I just have to check my old posts.

I’ll share once I get it.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:35pm On Aug 30, 2020
omanzo02:

All product are standardised here so fake product hardly find their way into the market. A role of bitumen sheet or felt of 7.5m cost an average of €61/28k.

When I saw the original felt, I cannot but shout “Father Lawd!”

“Standard Organisation of Nigeria” is just a joke.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Oliran(f): 9:44pm On Aug 30, 2020
beebah247:
Good evening house,
I need help regarding the following questions.

1. Is building approval required in Lagos for renovation works on a old house?

2. If yes, please what's the process/requirements (cost inclusive) of obtaining approval for renovating a old structure?

3. If the old house has been sold to a new owner, what has to be done to ensure the new or old approval carries the name of the new owner?

Thanks all for your help

Good evening.

1. Yes, there is renovation permit

2. Renovation permit is granted when the old building you want to renovate has it's own approval. Copies of old house approval will be required in order to give renovation permit. Cost is subjected to size of property and Location

3. When there is change in ownership of a property, survey should be done in the new owner's name after the deed or transfer of ownership. The name on the survey will be the name on the approval.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by qdlvy: 9:45pm On Aug 30, 2020
n3xt:

Thank you. I don’t have a dedicated thread for the project on Nairaland.

You can check for pic updates on this build here:
https://nexthomebuilds.boards.net/thread/10/construction-journal-024-nexthome?page=1

Or here: https://www.facebook.com/199049746782483/posts/1463771010310344/?d=n

I stopped creating new threads since 2016 grin
Maybe I’d resume by 2023 when the official Brabus ID is back.

Got it. Thanks. Will follow the links.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Lefty500: 10:18pm On Aug 30, 2020
Follow this thread to learn AutoCAD 2D floor plan design

https://www.nairaland.com/6086964/learn-how-design-2d-floor
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kambols95(m): 11:13pm On Aug 30, 2020
YOUR BUILDING IS IN SAFE HANDS.
I AM A STRUCTURAL ENGINEER WHILE MY WIFE IS AN ARCHITECT.

YOU CAN CONTACT MAK DESIGNS & CONSULT FOR YOUR:
- SURVEY PLAN
- ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN
- STRUCTURAL DESIGN
- MECHANICAL DESIGN
- ELECTRICAL DESIGN
- BILL OF QUANTITIES
- PARAPET CONSTRUCTION
- SUPERVISION OF BUILDING PROJECTS
- GENERAL CONSULTANCY SERVICES

All at a reduced professional fee

makdesignsandconsult@gmail.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by coldcandy: 11:37pm On Aug 30, 2020
Go through this thread by @Timtol and you will be glad you did. I actually bookmarked it.
https://www.nairaland.com/5512507/construction-5bd-rm-duplex-osapa/6#87868098

EgunMogaji2:
I have an upcoming build that has a hidden roof on all four sides.

Please educate me on how you’ve done it. Please with pictures if possible.

I’m clueless on how the water runoff on the downward slope will be handled.

Also, is .7 gauge roofing material in the market?

Muchas Gracias.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 11:45pm On Aug 30, 2020
coldcandy:
Go through this thread by @Timtol and you will be glad you did. I actually bookmarked it.
https://www.nairaland.com/5512507/construction-5bd-rm-duplex-osapa/6#87868098

One love!
Thank you!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omololu251(m): 1:04am On Aug 31, 2020
If pile foundation would be required, kindly PM.

izehieddie:

The land is waterlogged as are most land in ajah axis
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ambrosedmax(m): 10:38am On Aug 31, 2020
Leezah:
What's the best wood for roofing?
it depends on where you reside, but the best woods for roofing in West Africa as a whole,
1: apknontu (ayin, mereke)is a strong wood- this can be used for your rafters, wall-plate, all skeleton.

2: Melina is a soft wood, still quality though, can be used for your pole-line, and nogging. Will also stand the test of time.

I created a thread on this though...

https://www.nairaland.com/4714369/building-around-abuja-lets-discuss

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SMJay: 11:29am On Aug 31, 2020
I have similar/ the same challenge, Please house help me
Pascopele:
I think you quoted the wrong person.

Meanwhile, here is the picture of my own problem. Please help me. What can I do to remedy this situation ASAP!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SMJay: 11:30am On Aug 31, 2020
diordaves:

Give more information. Describe the situation more. What kind of building? Half finished storey building? Is the problem occuring in the room, kitchen etc? What kind of building is this? The photos are not enough to understand what is going on.
The issues is in my Master Bed room and at the visitors toilet. The building is a storey building
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 11:51am On Aug 31, 2020
Pls whts the cost of granite in asaba axis, 20T or 30T truck, or better still cost per ton. Then truck delivery/hire cost etc... A breakdown
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 11:56am On Aug 31, 2020
Sorry sir, on the picture2, how do you intend to drain the rain water? Seems I am not getting something there or the picture is not clear enough
n3xt:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 11:59am On Aug 31, 2020
Oh OK! Now I get answer to my previous question. Thank you sir
n3xt:

We also clad all the wall with aluminum sheet.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 12:28pm On Aug 31, 2020
Amastermovic:
Good All,
please I need block industries number around obalende to lekki or Ajah .. I don't mind having more contacts if you have them at hand ..

Mr Pat Okpaleke - 08029432080 for good quality blocks.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 12:57pm On Aug 31, 2020
RealBadBoy:

Kindly share the price for the expensive one of them

5A, 13A, 20A..... single and double switches and sockets

1 gang switch 1250
2 gang switch 1600
3 gang switch 2000
13A single socket 1100
13A double 2000
20A Double pole switch 2000
15A switch 1700

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 1:27pm On Aug 31, 2020
n3xt:

When I saw the original felt, I cannot but shout “Father Lawd!”

“Standard Organisation of Nigeria” is just a joke.

There are different grade of quality roofing felt....the good thing is the lowest standard will get the job done with warranty or guarantee on it. In case of failure due to production error you are free to exchange it or ask your money back without hassle and most products have exclusive 2 years guarantee after purchase.
The product standard has be set by the EU so every country or importers can't go less, The Chinese businesses don't dare misbehave by bringing in rubbish or substandard product, there will be consequences....Talking about standard the Germans always set the pace with constant innovation while others try to catch up. That is the beauty of the competition. But generally most products undergo upgrade every 2 year.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DaBogu: 1:44pm On Aug 31, 2020
Excuzeme:

Looking at your building, a few things are obvious:
- There is water/stream flowing nearby
- Your walls are wet, showing that the land is saturated with water
- Your land is swampy, looking at that picture
- Your building is not eqipped for the terrain challenges.

In a situation like yours, the foundation is the most important element and on this, you have not done well.
Anyone building near a stream or in a swamp should be prepared to spend on the foundation, using Granite, Stone Dust and enough Cement, for an appropriate type of Raft Foundation.
Infact, the cost of such foundation amounts to between 30-45% the cost of the whole building, depending on how many levels your building is going.
Again, the building needs a rich combination of Cement, not the weak type that falls apart under small stress
Again, you cant be economical with Iron and Concrete beams and Pillars. For example, you shoud have chained the Lintel all around, to lock the top of the building together with the bottom adn foundation, in one whole piece, making it difficult to experience sheers that can lead to cracks.

If you want to enjoy this building, l must say, most unfortunately, you might have to pull it down because the foundation is non-existent and whatever repairs and palliative you do on it, the problem will re-appear within three to five years maximum and you will end up spending much more money on repairs, over time and even with all that, you will still lose the building.

It is a bad building , as l look at it. Pulling it down and starting afressh is the best option though it looks costly rigth now.
Sorry about this but who helped you start this building? Does the person have any experience in building in swampy areas at all?
Thank you for this detailed analysis. I so much appreciate thsi contribution immensely. @ The bolded it was my cousin, I later found out he used my building to learn how to build. He currently stays in his own house built by him.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DaBogu: 1:48pm On Aug 31, 2020
diordaves:

I don't think it's the foundation as suggested by some. The problem is obviously the lintel. The lintel failed at that point.

Solution: join the balcony lintel with the window lintel or cast a column at that point between the balcony lintel and the window lintel. It's not a big problem.

Don't fall for over diagnosis and make a mole out of an ant hill and then waste so much money for nothing. It is a bungalow. For a bungalow, your foundation should be adequate for the most situation. If the crack is ONLY the point you showed, your foundation is fine.

What probably happened is during natural settlement. ALL built (foundation) settle evenly after a certain time. But with your project, the during the settlement, that point failed because of the block quality and block joint work between the balcony and the window.

Lintel is very important in a building. Badly done, you will experience crack. Not all cracks are foundation caused. More cracks are caused by poor lintel than by foundation. I've noticed in Nigeria we tend not to be aware of the importance of lintel work.
Thank you sir. Why dont you think is the foundation as sited by Excuzeme
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DaBogu: 1:50pm On Aug 31, 2020
Charisdesigns:

Causes:
1) Foundation
When I see defects or settlements such as this on building, the first thing I will ask is "is the foundation done properly or better still if the right foundation type was used."

2) Ineffective bonding between the blocks and mortar

Remedy

Get a structural engineer to help you determine if the crack is a major or minor one.
If the latter is the case, before plastering, he should re add mortar to those crack lines in other to create a better bond between the mortar and block wall

Then nail chicken nets to that area before plastering as shown in the attached picture

CharisDesign
Thank you CharisDesign I appreciate.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:51pm On Aug 31, 2020
omanzo02:

There are different grade of quality roofing felt.... the good thing is the lowest standard will get the job done with warranty or guarantee on it. In case of failure due to production error you are free to exchange it or ask your money back without hassle and most products have exclusive 2 years guarantee after purchase.
The product standard has be set by the EU so every country or importers can't go less, The Chinese businesses don't dare misbehave by bringing in rubbish or substandard product, there will be consequences....Talking about standard the Germans always set the pace with constant innovation while others try to catch up. That is the beauty of the competition. But generally most products undergo upgrade every 2 year.

I believe you’re not talking naija here. The common grade in the market is a complete sh*t

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DaBogu: 1:51pm On Aug 31, 2020
drkay:

Hmmm, interesting.
As a layman that I am, I think that building should be sitting on a raft foundation which I dont think it is.
That foundation is not stable.
[b]Solution to this(I pray there's one) may be very costly [/b]and/or temporary.
Let's see what the elders have to say.
shocked My gosh I spent money here o

(1) (2) (3) ... (1554) (1555) (1556) (1557) (1558) (1559) (1560) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.