Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,534 members, 7,837,051 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:11 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1651) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4447359 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1648) (1649) (1650) (1651) (1652) (1653) (1654) ... (3679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:18am On Sep 27, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Why would Niger come and build a railway line inside Nigeria?
The rail line that is being built exists only inside Nigeria.
As far as what's not important. You yielded that control/decision process to leaders once they were elected.

Please read my other post jare. The rail is not going inside Niger Republic but stopping where Nigeria ends.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:22am On Sep 27, 2020
Mayor78:

I am struggling to see where having 2 bedroom apartment both ensuite with a visitors toilet is an overkill design. I would question the judgement of an architect that made that observation.

So you live in a two bedroom apartment with your wife occupying one room, and your two young kids occupying the other room, then you have a family friend over for Sunday brunch, are you saying the family friend should use either of the ensuite toilets for convenience? No! It is not appropriate in this day and age. I don't need to bump into your wife or children or keep saying sorry each time I invaded their privacy on my way to ease myself in your house. There is a reason behind having a designated visitors toilet in an apartment or house. Any business there is private, and we all deserve some dignity and enjoy some level of comfort too within a shelter.

Therefore, any modern house design should avoid potential breach of privacy and comfort as part of its functionality. A communal 2 ensuite bedroom apartment without a visitors toilet fell below functional threshold irrespective. A good architect knew that.

shocked

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:38am On Sep 27, 2020
I have an all room en-suite 4 bed plus VC and even generator house had its own toilet but here’s what I’ve found out over time:

- how many bathrooms do you need so that everyone can get ready in the morning.

- For a fresh starter couple living in a two bed, two would probably be ok unless you both absolutely HAVE to be showering at the exact same time.

- Not everyone need to get ready together.

I just remembered I once lived in a 3 bed house with 3 bath as a starter and I never bump into visitors/guests.
My in-laws only visit maybe twice a year; siblings maybe once a year and friends don’t pop in at will. My kids didn’t start bathing themselves until 5 year old.

Maybe one day everyone will need the showers in the house but right now some are just occupying space.

If it’s about bumping, it’s better they learn that from the house as hostels won’t hand over a bath to each student in school (college or high school).

In Oprah’s words ”A shower for you, and a shower for you. A shower for you, and you, and you. Hand out as many bathrooms as you can stand!!”

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 5:23am On Sep 27, 2020
damola311:

How much will something like the 2nd and 3rd picture you attached cost per metre or how is it charged?

Prepare something in region of 35 and 45k for each linear meter

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 5:25am On Sep 27, 2020
Phylife:

What are the downsides, for instance rust?
the only downside is that it's expensive. Like very very expensive. With good finishing and anti rust sprayed, you don't have to worry about rusting be it under rain or �
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 5:40am On Sep 27, 2020
Happy Sunday to all and Sundry. OAK Group welcomes you into a new week. We remain your plug to efficient home designs.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 5:40am On Sep 27, 2020
Happy Sunday to all and Sundry. OAK Group welcomes you into a new week. We remain your plug to efficient architectural designs. OAK Group.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 5:58am On Sep 27, 2020
n3xt:
I have an all room en-suite 4 bed plus VC and even generator house had its own toilet but here’s what I’ve found out over time:

- how many bathrooms do you need so that everyone can get ready in the morning.

- For a fresh starter couple living in a two bed, two would probably be ok unless you both absolutely HAVE to be showering at the exact same time.

- Not everyone need to get ready together.

I just remembered I once lived in a 3 bed house with 3 bath as a starter and I never bump into visitors/guests.
My in-laws only visit maybe twice a year; siblings maybe once a year and friends don’t pop in at will. My kids didn’t start bathing themselves until 5 year old.

Maybe one day everyone will need the showers in the house but right now some are just occupying space.

If it’s about bumping, it’s better they learn that from the house as hostels won’t hand over a bath to each student in school (college or high school).

In Oprah’s words ”A shower for you, and a shower for you. A shower for you, and you, and you. Hand out as many bathrooms as you can stand!!”

True talk.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:57am On Sep 27, 2020
michlins:
oga mi shey you remember we have an ongoing project which you are yet to get back to me on.

Happy weekend

Juggling multiple stuffs right now. Client undecided yet.

I’ll revert as soon as possible.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:01am On Sep 27, 2020
n3xt:

Juggling multiple stuffs right now. Client undecided yet.

I’ll revert as soon as possible.
good morning sir. While we're on it, kindly know that I'm still up for other stuff
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:21am On Sep 27, 2020
michlins:
good morning sir. While we're on it, kindly know that I'm still up for other stuff

Have you worked on delivery to South West? I think that should be the major issue to work on right now as most of my jobs will be from this side.

I just gave a project to another steel fabricator in one of the south-west states yesterday. He’s the guy who made this roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FziZycvBTC4

Working across border is not my challenge but sorting out the logistics.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 7:31am On Sep 27, 2020
mufutau55:

It has been talked about and clarified that, that rail construction will not enter NIGER Republic but stopped where Nigeria ends. Will it not be stupid for Nigeria to construct rail road for Niger? Habah!!
You guys want to blame Buhari for all these constructions in the North, while your brother was there for 8 years, he cannot even construct road linking Lagos to Abeokuta, his own town and same road he uses to Lagos now very often.
Sorry guys, I dont like getting involved in Politics, but this pinched my nerves.

Hajji M.
wink

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:55am On Sep 27, 2020
n3xt:

shocked

Why do Nigerian Architects hoard floorpans when their international counterparts do not?

Is it because Nigerian plan buyers go for the exterior looks instead of the interior flow of the houses?

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:29am On Sep 27, 2020
n3xt:

Have you worked on delivery to South West? I think that should be the major issue to work on right now as most of my jobs will be from this side.

I just gave a project to another steel fabricator in one of the south-west states yesterday. He’s the guy who made this roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FziZycvBTC4

Working across border is not my challenge but sorting out the logistics.

SW is a very large area to cover. Why not tell me exactly where you want me to be at and I arrange logistics to the exact location. One thing I know however is that so far that place is on the map, there's a route getting to the place.

Modified

I know a driver who comes to Lagos every Wednesday. I believe I can divert him to another area should need be. I also know that if he fails, I can use another one

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by femidbuilder: 8:35am On Sep 27, 2020
Please need recommendations for good quality (quality is important ) HDF and solid wood doors at reasonable prices.

A sizeable number of doors Are required for a project

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 8:38am On Sep 27, 2020
Good morning we are available for your roofing woods and roofing materials at affordable prices
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 8:42am On Sep 27, 2020
Mayor78:

I am struggling to see where having 2 bedroom apartment both ensuite with a visitors toilet is an overkill design. I would question the judgement of an architect that made that observation.

So you live in a two bedroom apartment with your wife occupying one room, and your two young kids occupying the other room, then you have a family friend over for Sunday brunch, are you saying the family friend should use either of the ensuite toilets for convenience? No! It is not appropriate in this day and age. I don't need to bump into your wife or children or keep saying sorry each time I invaded their privacy on my way to ease myself in your house. There is a reason behind having a designated visitors toilet in an apartment or house. Any business there is private, and we all deserve some dignity and enjoy some level of comfort too within a shelter.

Therefore, any modern house design should avoid potential breach of privacy and comfort as part of its functionality. A communal 2 ensuite bedroom apartment without a visitors toilet fell below functional threshold irrespective. A good architect knew that.

That architect has an experience of more than 37 years and runs a generational architecture bureau with a legacy of 148 years, go figure it out.

I know you may struggle to see the overkill in it.....there are smarter ideas to guarantee family privacy, you don't need to ensuite both rooms to achieve that.
I still maintain a 2 bedroom apartment does not need anything more than 2 toilets (family and visitors) and 1 bathroom.

Edited.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:59am On Sep 27, 2020
omanzo02:

I know you may struggle to see the overkill in it.....there are smarter ideas to guarantee family privacy, you don't need to ensuite both rooms to achieve that.
I still maintain a 2 bedroom apartment does not need anything more than 2 toilets (family and visitors) and 1 bathroom.

The plan looks great and could please interpret it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:08am On Sep 27, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Why do Nigerian Architects hoard floorpans when their international counterparts do not?

Is it because Nigerian plan buyers go for the exterior looks instead of the interior flow of the houses?

To answer the ‘why?’ question, we must first understand what motivates them to undertake the creative endeavors.

I think we’ve walk this route before (not sure it’s on nairaland) and I was made to understand that architectural plan/concept/designs are intellectual property here. So I just went mute on the topic.

The motivation here is “money”

Many people are in the profession without understanding exactly why. Some people chose the profession to make money or please their parents and other people.

Some people found that they’re fairly unique and creatively artisitic. They love to build things and solve environmental problems. They became an architect because they’re fully aware of what an architect was/and should be. They’re driven by passion to make a difference.

I may be wrong though but the popular believe here is “If a client have access to the floor plans without any commitment, he might not be willing to pay.”

Secondly, the sector is largely unregulated. If you check around, you’ll see a lot of CAD trainers charging less than N5,000 (less than $12) to teach AutoCad and other CAD softwares - raising the number of cowboy designers in the industry.
These cowboy designers can charge anything to produce any nonsense which poses a big challenge for the real professional in the industry. They can replicate any design for less making the real creatives less attractive.

I had a client who did a drawing that costs over N4m. I won’t encourage the architect of such project to list his work on any platform in Nigeria because he can always get jobs on referral.

Lastly, there are “copy and build” clients who’d rather copy designs on the internet without attributing the original designer/architect or paying for the design. This constitutes largely to the reason why most architects hoard their designs in Nigeria.

_____
By now, Nairaland ought to have made some upgrades to the forum to better manage all these issues.
Baba, I know you can relate that forums can actually be of help to architects and other professionals. We’ve seen it on other platforms.
I know a forum where guests can’t view attachments until they’re verified. There are also forums with membership levels.

The only thing we have here on Nairaland is our date of birth grin grin (abi it’s date/time registered) which really doesn’t help.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by soonest(f): 9:19am On Sep 27, 2020
Mayor78:

If these quality doors are here in Nigeria, whats the rush for the turkish doors. Or are these Nigerian made doors being packaged and sold as imported Turkish doors. A colleague just showed me a company set up by Chinese in Benin that make doors, high quality doors using local materials and I was like wallow!

Please do you have their address or number
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 9:32am On Sep 27, 2020
Phylife:

The plan looks great and could please interpret it.

Slaapkamer 1 - bedroom 1
Slaapkamer 2 - bedroom 2
Woonkamer - living room
Badkamer - bathroom with WC
WC - visitors toilet
Kast - closet
Hal - lobby
Open keuken - open kitchen
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mank1234(m): 9:34am On Sep 27, 2020
mufutau55:

It has been talked about and clarified that, that rail construction will not enter NIGER Republic but stopped where Nigeria ends. Will it not be stupid for Nigeria to construct rail road for Niger? Habah!!
You guys want to blame Buhari for all these constructions in the North, while your brother was there for 8 years, he cannot even construct road linking Lagos to Abeokuta, his own town and same road he uses to Lagos now very often.
Sorry guys, I dont like getting involved in Politics, but this pinched my nerves.

Hajji M.

It's not right to talk down obj for being pan Nigerian.
We should rather be condemning Buhari for his nepotism.
It's not also right for us to continue to directly or indirectly support what is not right.
As a leader in property section, we hold your comments to high esteem.
That rail is not of much economic value compared to others envisaged long ago.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mrpond(m): 9:42am On Sep 27, 2020
michlins:
1k and the painter will be happy. Less than one hour work. Shey na one color wey be black that doesn't take time to coat

Are you confused about ur choice of paint? we are direct manufacturers of different varieties of paints Raging from
water proof Emulsion
texcoat
pvc paint
mosquito repellant paint
variesties of oil paints
matt
super matt
silk paint
we offer the best for our customers at reduced and affordable rate.
We can also produce paint directly in ur site for direct and immediate application which will inturn reduced cost of logistics and products for our customers.
we have our painters for application of our paint
We are open for orders, we are fast and swift.

Tel; 08078425162
Email; bxtradeltd@gmail.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:56am On Sep 27, 2020
n3xt:

To answer the ‘why?’ question, we must first understand what motivates them to undertake the creative endeavors.

I think we’ve walk this route before (not sure it’s on nairaland) and I was made to understand that architectural plan/concept/designs are intellectual property here. So I just went mute on the topic.

Many people are in the profession without understanding exactly why. Some people chose the profession to make money or please their parents and other people.

Some people found that they’re fairly unique and creatively artisitic. They love to build things and solve environmental problems. They became an architect because they’re fully aware of what an architect was/and should be. They’re driven by passion to make a difference.

I may be wrong though but the popular believe here is “If a client have access to the floor plans without any commitment, he might not be willing to pay.”

Secondly, the sector is largely unregulated. If you check around, you’ll see a lot of CAD trainers charging less than N5,000 (less than $12) to teach AutoCad and other CAD softwares - raising the number of cowboy designers in the industry.
These cowboy designers can charge anything to produce any nonsense which poses a big challenge for the real professional in the industry. They can replicate any design for less making the real creatives less attractive.

I had a client who did a drawing that costs over N4m. I won’t encourage the architect of such project to list his work on any platform in Nigeria because he can always get jobs on referral.

Lastly, there are “copy and build” clients who’d rather copy designs on the internet without attributing the original designer/architect or paying for the design. This constitutes largely to the reason why most architects hoard their designs in Nigeria.

_____
By now, Nairaland ought to have made some upgrades to the forum to better manage all these issues.
Baba, I know you can relate that forums can actually be of help to architects and other professionals. We’ve seen it on other platforms.
I know a forum where guests can’t view attachments until they’re verified. There are also forums with membership levels.

The only thing we have here on Nairaland is our date of birth grin grin (abi it’s date/time registered) which really doesn’t help.

We both haunt most of the foreign sites where architects share floor plans and even dimensions.

How are they keeping alive then?

I saw the plans for my courtyard bungalow on eBay complete with dimensions.

I bought it and had Darenyx on here make some modifications for me.

I innocently share with the original architect, who I paid for the plan, that I made some changes.

A week later I got a letter in the mail from his lawyer advising me that I’m in violation of the plan ownership/purchase. That the only one allowed to make changes to it is his client.

My savings grace was that the build was happening in Africa. That was the loophole that it was not happening in North America but I still paid him a modification fee. Imagine if I didn’t actually buy the plan originally.

Long story short, architects can lawyer up too in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:13am On Sep 27, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

We both haunt most of the foreign sites where architects share floor plans and even dimensions.

How are they keeping alive then?

I saw the plans for my courtyard bungalow on eBay complete with dimensions.

I bought it and had Darenyx on here make some modifications for me.

I innocently share with the original architect, who I paid for the plan, that I made some changes.

A week later I got a letter in the mail from his lawyer advising me that I’m in violation of the plan ownership/purchase. That the only one allowed to make changes to it is his client.

My savings grace was that the build was happening in Africa. That was the loophole that it was not happening in North America but I still paid him a modification fee. Imagine if I didn’t actually buy the plan originally.

Long story short, architects can lawyer up too in Nigeria.

That’s one of my greatest lessons of last decade.

A young lawyer said to me “Bosun, you’re doing multi-million naira projects yearly. Don’t be too greedy! Lawyers can’t take up to 1% of your profit and you can build it into your cost. Lawyer up!”

Nigerian architects can learn a lot from their Asian counterparts especially from the Malays. Those guys can remotely monitor anything.

But Baba on a serious note, it’s because you’re a Christian Masquerade grin, a lot of us won’t bother getting in touch with the original designer.

I once share a design here by a design firm in Kochi, Kerala, India. The company found out and really came for me to pull it down else they’ll file a suit.
I don’t know maybe they have guys conducting image search or have crawlers or maybe have people on Nairaland grin.

I really don’t know how they got to know.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:22am On Sep 27, 2020
I feel for those guys too because it takes a lot to come up with those creative ideas.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Person2person(m): 10:23am On Sep 27, 2020
femidbuilder:
Please need recommendations for good quality (quality is important ) HDF and solid wood doors at reasonable prices.

A sizeable number of doors Are required for a project

check my thread for quality doors. call / wasap for further enquiries 08063073913

https://www.nairaland.com/5898703/choosing-appropriate-board-furniture-works
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 10:58am On Sep 27, 2020
mufutau55:

Hajji M.
Hajji you don’t know how people manipulate information for their selfish and political interest here. Many of these people are feeding fat from corrupt system, they don’t like or care about any development but what came to their political godfathers pocket and the little koko they get from their corrupt mentors. I wept for this country, we’re talking about regional Integration How do we achieve it without regional transit.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 11:01am On Sep 27, 2020
omanzo02:

That architect has an experience of more than 37 years and runs a generational architecture bureau with a legacy of 148 years, go figure it out.

Edited.

Sir, this design isn't for Nigerians. The words there look like German. We value privacy a lot in this part of the world. Such doesn't work here and is not even advisable to be designed in this century. All rooms should be ensuite.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 11:20am On Sep 27, 2020
n3xt:

Some people found that they’re fairly unique and creatively artisitic. They love to build things and solve environmental problems.[/b]They became an architect because they’re fully aware of what an architect was/and should be. [b]They’re driven by passion to make a difference.

_____

That's what you get when a system is not regulated and subjected to continuous control of qualities.

While individual creative can make a difference, Nigeria's educational system is too dormant to produce creative prosperity.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 11:45am On Sep 27, 2020
uncleteeh:

Sir, this design isn't for Nigerians. The words there look like German. We value privacy a lot in this part of the world. Such doesn't work here and is not even advisable to be designed in this century. All rooms should be ensuite[b][/b].
It's Dutch not German! Lol
You mean to be telling me Nigerians value privacy more than other part of the world? Please, let not overrate ourselves, we are very good at rigid solutions and wastage.
From your sum up it will be a complete waste of time to make you see things from a philosophical and flexible creative idea behind functionalities and usefulness.

#Peace

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 11:55am On Sep 27, 2020
omanzo02:

Edited.

It is all about choice...

Some people might call it overkill.. maybe it is an overkill to them, some people might even think it that's not enough bathrooms grin grin

There are houses where I live that have 4 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms grin grin

I once lived in a studio apartment by choice not that I couldn't find proper apartment.. I liked the layout and it was easier for me for the type of work I did at the time and my lifestyle at the time.

So all this overkill or not overkill is just individual choices. This is one of the reason I advice potential homeowners to be very involved in the design stage of your house.. because the client knows what will work for them, their family , lifestyle and potential use of the build and to direct the architect to design appropriately.

If you are building a tenant house, do a market survey around the area you intend to build. Who are your intended clients? That is what kind of tenants do you intend to live there ?
Do people prefer 3 bathrooms in a 2 bed apartment? Or they don't care much ... remember there are still some older builds in a high demand areas that have 3 bedrooms and 1 bath and people still hit their heads on the wall to rent them...

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (1648) (1649) (1650) (1651) (1652) (1653) (1654) ... (3679) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: jeffkennedy, sodiq961(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.