Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,623 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:06 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1702) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4368634 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1699) (1700) (1701) (1702) (1703) (1704) (1705) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 4:13pm On Oct 20, 2020
Any Real Estate Lawyer based in Abuja/FCT, with particular experience of Native Authority land transactions - please drop your contact here. Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 4:18pm On Oct 20, 2020
edoman2016:
80% of houses in Nigeria are still bungalows
most of them are being demolished to erect high rise buildings especially in lagos mainland area
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:25pm On Oct 20, 2020
twinskenny:
most of them are being demolished to erect high rise buildings especially in lagos mainland area

Most of those houses are very old anyway... and shortage of land or high cost is why they are becoming highrisers.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by coldcandy: 4:36pm On Oct 20, 2020
sam1919:
Please everyone, How much is a bag of cement now in your location?

2,550 abuja.
2,600 for delivery.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:20pm On Oct 20, 2020
mufutau55:

Most of those houses are very old anyway... and shortage of land or high cost is why they are becoming highrisers.

Hajji M.
right
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by joycluv: 5:29pm On Oct 20, 2020
GoodFaith:
At no time will I Have a roof over 14ft
my bus stop is 14ft (bungalows)
My dear, I did 14ft for my 3 bedroom bungalow and I was talked down on by tenants in mud houses as if I committed a forbidden act.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:55pm On Oct 20, 2020
joycluv:
My dear, I did 14ft for my 3 bedroom bungalow and I was talked down on by tenants in mud houses as if I committed a forbidden act.

May be because your roof is now hiding their houses. smiley

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chimexdnice1(m): 5:56pm On Oct 20, 2020
What's the ideal roofing height for bungalows and a story building? Is there a standard?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Muyesky(m): 6:01pm On Oct 20, 2020
chimexdnice1:
What's the ideal roofing height for bungalows and a story building? Is there a standard?

Factors like money and house plan comes into play here. A 14-16ft high king pole may be adequate for a plan and grossly inadequate for another. That is why a roof plan should always go in line with your floor plan.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 6:21pm On Oct 20, 2020
thanks
EgunMogaji2:

I’ll get back to you on mine.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 6:26pm On Oct 20, 2020
Dijita:
thanks

If it helps, mine was about N930k in total for two of such systems as seen in EgunMogaji2's pictures. We located them either side of the building. This was in 2018 though.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Raphael20: 6:39pm On Oct 20, 2020
Do you need someone to design your MEP drawings?
we at A.R.A Consulting,thats what we do.we specialize in design of MEP drawings that are error free and concise.
Contact us today and we promise you we won't disappoint.
Phone no - 08156392386.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by joycluv: 6:57pm On Oct 20, 2020
mufutau55:

May be because your roof is now hiding their houses. smiley

Hajji M.
Oga Hajji, the tenants in mud houses I was referring to are the so-called professional engineers who claim that the roof of a house must touch the heavens before it can qualify as a modern house. Yet they themselves are tenants in flat roofed mud houses
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by valencia2012(m): 7:30pm On Oct 20, 2020
Hey Folks, Professionals and the Learned in the house......
Please comment on interior and exterior windowsills in Nigeria. I haven't gotten any opportunity to see one. Probably, i may not have noticed though.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 8:33pm On Oct 20, 2020
Dijita:

Please is it possible to get the estimate cost these soak away
Mine which is the 2nd pic cost roughly N450K
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chukwuphone: 12:14am On Oct 21, 2020
Is it possible for a tile to request for 50 bags of cent and a trip of sand for floor tiles for 3 bedroom bungalow, please help
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:10am On Oct 21, 2020
joycluv:
Oga Hajji, the tenants in mud houses I was referring to are the so-called professional engineers who claim that the roof of a house must touch the heavens before it can qualify as a modern house. Yet they themselves are tenants in flat roofed mud houses

I dont even pay attention to those peoples. It's your house, you decide how you want it as long as it is safe. Period.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:17am On Oct 21, 2020
valencia2012:
Please comment on interior and exterior windowsills in Nigeria. I haven't gotten any opportunity to see one. Probably, i may not have noticed though.

They are really nice. I beleive the only reason it's not common in Nigeria is because of those deterent iron window guards we install. It will be awkward with those sills. Just my thought. This used to exist in the old house when I was growing up.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:21am On Oct 21, 2020
Chukwuphone:
Is it possible for a tile to request for 50 bags of cent and a trip of sand for floor tiles for 3 bedroom bungalow, please help

Yes. But all depends on how big your rooms are, some 3 bedrooms are bigger than others. Tiling requests a lot of sand to level the ground and lots of cement to bond. Just make sure you give adequate supervision. Make sure you buy cements in pieces for the tiler. Please dont quote me o. Just my opinion.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 2:42am On Oct 21, 2020
erico2k2:

Mine which is the 2nd pic cost roughly N450K

thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 6:52am On Oct 21, 2020
joycluv:
That's very funny, I keep wondering what they will be saying when the roof of their mudhouses not that high.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mayor78: 7:01am On Oct 21, 2020
smallsmall:

Dont take the House.
That Dampness you are seeing, is just starting. It will increase with time.
Then it will affect your health when you start breathing-in dampness and if you have children, it is even worse because some children will become infected with Lung Dampness.

Your Clothes will suffer dampness and it will damage metallic items with rust.
But it is your money, if you have options, just move on to another one.

Which infection is lung dampness please? The thing with damp inside the house is that it keeps the house consistently damp and moist, which overtime causes the build up of moulds on the ceiling.

These moulds have fungi pores that usually contains infectious pathogens like mycobacterium (a fungus bacteria), which can be poisonous and capable of causing diseases such as MycobacteriaTuberclosis, leprosy etc when inhaled.

If you must live in damp house, it is advised to always keep the place warm and improve air circulation in any damp enclosures particularly in a living area in other to minimise the build up of moisture causing moulds.

Maintaining optimal air circulation inside a damp rooms will reduce your exposure to the infectious pathogens and minimise risk to the diseases.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 7:38am On Oct 21, 2020
valencia2012:

This is alien to Nigerians and their architect. I said it before that the windows I like are the ones with flower cups and pots. Not a must anyway.

There has to be a shoot out base on the window front like what you have there where you could put something decorative or any ornamental. The peculiar situation of our environment makes some of these house aesthetics features impracticable.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 7:46am On Oct 21, 2020
mufutau55:

They are really nice. I beleive the only reason it's not common in Nigeria is because of those deterent iron window guards we install. It will be awkward with those sills. Just my thought. This used to exist in the old house when I was growing up.

Hajji M.

Hajj, this is doable. Just to be creative at the installation stage. The burglar should be well placed in between the windows walls and not infront of the windows.

Finance is just my worry, if not, I would installed those sills using HDF wood. You could still use wood to bring out the sill on the base of the window.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mayor78: 7:50am On Oct 21, 2020
erico2k2:

At times buying of blocks is a better option! if you have a large build

My experience is that if you have limited cash at hand but a guaranteed and consistent source of income say monthly and you intend to build, it is best to start with moulding your blocks.

With N300K, one can start moulding with 50 bags of cement@N2,600 = N130K.

The balance of N170K would be used to organise materials (sand, water+storage, and labour) for continuous moulding.

Labour moulding N800/bag × 50 = N40K
Water 1000 litres at a time @N5K
3 trips of sharp sand@13K each = N39K
1 × 1000 litres Storage tank@40K

Total N124K,

Cash Reserve of the balance (N46K) to fund water and sharp sand as needed.

Mould of 35 blocks/bag (9" hollow) × 50bags = 1,750 blocks

Mould of 45 blocks/bag (6" hollow) × 50bags = 2,250 blocks

The commitment has started be that. All side 'abunna' and unneccessary house party must now stop to allow for continous funding of tge mould.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by valencia2012(m): 9:02am On Oct 21, 2020
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

You're definitely right! We could even lean or sit on the interior sills of my family home in the seventies. Even with the vertically placed burglary proofs of iron bars.
I wish it could be remade.
It makes the window a kingdom of its own.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by valencia2012(m): 9:11am On Oct 21, 2020
Focusmind:

Hajj, this is doable. Just to be creative at the installation stage. The burglar should be well placed in between the windows walls and not infront of the windows.

Finance is just my worry, if not, I would installed those sills using HDF wood. You could still use wood to bring out the sill on the base of the window.

I wish they could be remade. Finance won't be as high as one thinks for about 20 windows, excluding toilets, baths etc.. Wouldn't one be able to do something else without HDF?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ty01: 9:15am On Oct 21, 2020
chimexdnice1:
Good day everyone. Please I would like to know the difference, or rather which one is better, between itara and kokogbo hardwood? My capenter prefers the later as opposed to my choice. Please advise. Thank you.

I will go with Kokogbo. It’s reddish in colour and looks very beautiful on your house after the wood works are completed. I was told it also doesn’t require any treatment. It’s a little bit more expensive than Itara though. Both are good hard wood, but kokogbo is it for me.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 12:38pm On Oct 21, 2020
Chukwuphone:

To tile one room of 12x12 2 1/2 to 3 bags
Three rooms of 12 x12 should be 7 1/2 to 9 bags
Watch out he is going to steal your tiles and cements

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:13pm On Oct 21, 2020
Focusmind:

But the space left on those sills will probably make it unusable.
And that will defeat the point o. But Yes, it is doable.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chimexdnice1(m): 1:31pm On Oct 21, 2020
Thank you.

ty01:

I will go with Kokogbo. It’s reddish in colour and looks very beautiful on your house after the wood works are completed. I was told it also doesn’t require any treatment. It’s a little bit more expensive than Itara though. Both are good hard wood, but kokogbo is it for me.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1699) (1700) (1701) (1702) (1703) (1704) (1705) ... (3662) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.