Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,358 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1703) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4400001 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1700) (1701) (1702) (1703) (1704) (1705) (1706) ... (3669) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 1:59pm On Oct 21, 2020
twinskenny:
most of them are being demolished to erect high rise buildings especially in lagos mainland area
I prefer this development. Bungalow waste spaces. In Ibadan now, people build in very remote areas, areas that were never envisaged to get developed.
Here are the disadvantages of building in such communities.
1. Lack of infrastructures: Good road and electricity are being lacked in those areas.
2. Insecurity tends to breed in such communities, forces ain't close to those areas, Police, fire fighters and ambulances may not even reach them during emergencies.
3. Lack of transportation: commuting is very difficult for them. At night they find it extremely difficult to get vehicles to home.
I just wish our government can implement a huge change in relation to our housing system.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 4:07pm On Oct 21, 2020
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:28pm On Oct 21, 2020
mufutau55:

Some people are tough o.

Hajji M.

Yes o.. I tried to talk him into putting burglary proof but he insisted.

And the windows look beautiful without them.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:30pm On Oct 21, 2020
Focusmind:

I detest burglary on windows. It takes away the finesse and the beauty of the window area.

Just as Egun said, a determined armed robber could easily take down the burglaries. See how beautiful the windows are looking. Install these big burglaries and look at the windows again cheesy

I want to see a crystal clear windows with live flower cups or pots rather than looking at a prison-like burglary and thick nets. Our peculiar situation and circumstances in Nigeria is one of the reasons the interior of our homes are not that all eye catching.

That's true.

I feel if you have dogs, and maybe a gun, you can do without burglary proof!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:30pm On Oct 21, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Those windows are 4” x 4” abi?

On burglary, the way they’re installed makes it easy to be removed in seconds.

4" x 5"

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 11:05pm On Oct 21, 2020
jabolo:

If it helps, mine was about N930k in total for two of such systems as seen in EgunMogaji2's pictures. We located them either side of the building. This was in 2018 though.

Thank you very much guys .
Do we need for a 4 bedrooms bungalow?
why the small and the big sizes (A and B)? Is it the standard?
What is the measurement of A and B(Length breath and width)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 11:35pm On Oct 21, 2020
Dijita:

Thank you very much guys .
Do we need for a 4 bedrooms bungalow?
why the small and the big sizes (A and B)? Is it the standard?
What is the measurement of A and B(Length breath and width)

The Big one is called SEPTIC TANK while the small one is called SOAKAWAY. The two, however, have very different purposes, and are often used together. Septic tanks are used to collect effluent and store wastewater and solid waste. All waste water in the building i.e wash hand basin, Kitchen sink and bathtub/shower can be channel to Soakaway.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:03am On Oct 22, 2020
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:19am On Oct 22, 2020
KolaShangOne:

Yes o.. I tried to talk him into putting burglary proof but he insisted.
And the windows look beautiful without them.

Good for him. But my life before beauty... at least the burglary will be a deterrent, if nothing else.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:22am On Oct 22, 2020
KolaShangOne:

That's true.

They are easily putting dogs to sleep... but gun... then they have some jazz that also stop that... beleive me!

Ask EgunMogaji2 for both. smiley

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 4:19am On Oct 22, 2020
I still have a dream that one day, we all will be able to enjoy our homes burglary proof free.. grin

Man, I don't like staying in my own house... it makes me feel trapped. I have never been in jail before, staying in my house makes me feel like I am in prison or in a house arrest grin, metal door, burglary proofs everywhere angry

Could you imagine living in a house like this (picture..below)....

Enjoying your environment, soaking up all that views etc... grin those natural lights , sitting out , telling your kids, grandkids , niece, nephews, cousins about your war stories grin grin how this all started, reminiscing some glory days... grin

.. that will be nice..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 6:12am On Oct 22, 2020
Badgers14:
I still have a dream that one day, we all will be able to enjoy our homes burglary proof free.. grin

Man, I don't like staying in my own house... it makes me feel trapped. I have never been in jail before, staying in my house makes me feel like I am in prison, metal door, burglary proofs everywhere angry

Enjoying your environment, soaking up all that views etc... grin those natural lights , sitting out , telling your kids, grandkids , niece, nephews, cousins about your war stories grin grin how this all started, reminiscing some glory days... grin

.. that will be nice..
I wish we could get to this stage. though few houses like this exists in Nigeria, just that the inhabitants of such habitats have heavy security details.
I wish a common man too can get to live in such in peace.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gandkiss: 7:25am On Oct 22, 2020
Dear masters, elders, experts, gurus, fathers and professionals in this field,

Kindly advise your humble boy, I am about install burglar proof in my five bedroom bungalow and I want to leave one window without burglar proof incase an emergency exit is needed in a situation of fire outbreak.

I am thinking of exempting the master bedroom bathroom window.

Please give me more insight.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:46am On Oct 22, 2020
Badgers14:

Man, I don't like staying in my own house... it makes me feel trapped. I have never been in jail before, staying in my house makes me feel like I am in prison, metal door, burglary proofs everywhere angry

.. that will be nice..

grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amalab30(m): 7:57am On Oct 22, 2020
[s]2 Plots of Land (facing Ifo/Abeokuta expressway) for sale at Gudugba, Ifo, Ogun State.

Land Size: 50 x 100 (x2)
Title: Deed Of Assignment, Receipts
Seller: Direct Owner
Offer: N4,000,000

Interested person should please contact 08058934948 for more enquiries.[/s]

SOLD
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 9:04am On Oct 22, 2020
gandkiss:

Kindly advise your humble boy, I am about install burglar proof in my five bedroom bungalow and I want to leave one window without burglar proof incase an emergency exit is needed in a situation of fire outbreak.

Thank you.

I would have "slightly" encouraged you if your building was a duplex and the master bedroom is upstairs.

But with our current climate at the moment and the building being a bungalow... this might be asking for potential "trouble".

A better plan would be working with your welder to fabricate openable burglar-proof.. there were some ideas shared here few pages back.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:39am On Oct 22, 2020
gandkiss:

Thank you.

Regardless of my distaste for burglary bars, I do indeed have them. So please don’t get carried away with all of our wishful thinking on here grin

Approach “a” welder to design and fabricate an openable burglar bar for you. Just tell him the frame size. He doesn’t need to know which room or house it’s going to.

This burglary bar needs to be openable by a child and you need to practice opening it.

You don’t have to share the design you chose on here. I didn’t.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:52am On Oct 22, 2020
mufutau55:

They are easily putting dogs to sleep... but gun... then they have some jazz that also stop that... beleive me!

Ask EgunMogaji2 for both. smiley

Hajji M.

Happened to my neighbor. A person that I would qualify as traveled and educated. A vet had to resuscitate his dogs.

So a multilayered approach.

But above all, in my opinion, keeping a low key lifestyle is also crucial.

We need liberal gun laws and Castle Doctrine.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:00am On Oct 22, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Happened to my neighbor. A person that I would qualify as traveled and educated. A vet had to resuscitate his dogs.

I live in a community with over 3,000 houses. A popular Nairaland moderator lives in my community.

Almost everyone knew my name but they cant identify me.

On security, I kept things as simple as I can. I really mean simple and I’ve never had any cause for concern.

Keeping a low profile is the best form of security in Naija.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 10:45am On Oct 22, 2020
Burglary proof makes house look like prison, having a secure fence is enough. That is what we do at Bolbaz home tech. smiley
KolaShangOne:

That's true.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 10:52am On Oct 22, 2020
I love curtain wall like this, it awesome!
Hopefully, Nigeria will allow us live without burglary one day
Badgers14:

Man, I don't like staying in my own house... it makes me feel trapped. I have never been in jail before, staying in my house makes me feel like I am in prison or in a house arrest grin, metal door, burglary proofs everywhere angry

.. that will be nice..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 10:59am On Oct 22, 2020
Don't leave any window without burglary, you can do a burglary that is openable probably in an enclose room that all members of the house can have access to. I think @Next once came up with an idea of openable burglary some time ago(check some pages of this thread).

In the house I live, we didn't put burglary in two bathroom and that is the place pilfer came through two days ago.

Meanwhile, you should also secure your fence with electric fence-wire or razor wire(barb wire). You can check my signature for contact and my thread to get more info.
gandkiss:

Thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 11:01am On Oct 22, 2020
On other matters, here is a link to the video demonstration of the approach we used on a fence with serious damp issue.
We used water repellent paint for the fence cap and upper part to repel water as a result of water not draining properly on the cap and a light single coat of emulsion on the skirting to facilitate easy evaporation of the ground water.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=925525381260798&id=100014100341189
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 11:04am On Oct 22, 2020
1. call me right from foundation level to get your pegs and 1 * 12 for linteds etc

2. call me for your 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 2x6, 3x4 ,1x12 and all sizes for your house roofing

3. get your hardwood ,semi hard, white woods at cheaper cost.

4.get wood/planks for your furnishing and carpentry works etc

5.get all sizes of woods from me such as 1x12, 2 x12, 2x6, 3x8,1x6 short length and full length etc at low cost and quality woods

6. call me for all types of wooden doors and all sorts of doors both local and Intl.

we supply companies, sites,estates hotels,schools, public and private buildings, govt, etc. across Nigeria.

call or WhatsApp Daniel on +2348057616868
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by JohnasI: 11:24am On Oct 22, 2020
I've been thinking for a long time about what kind of hobby I should do. Thanks to the fact that I was surfing the Internet on my day off, I found a site where I ordered Grow Tents. Now I know what I will devote my free time to. I will grow plants at home! It's really cool. I'm allergic to Pets, but I can take care of plants.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 11:26am On Oct 22, 2020
Good morning.

No, it is not possible. 1 bag of cement will cover an average of 7 square metres for 1:6 mortar, 25mm thickness bedding for the tiles.

In a common language, for you to use 50 bags for tiling, it means that the area of the room/space to be tiled would be 350 square metres. That's definitely not realistic. So, the answer you seek as regards quantity of cement is that it is not possible to use 50 bags of cement for tiling a 3-bedroom building. It's an overestimation.

Chukwuphone:
Is it possible for a tile to request for 50 bags of cent and a trip of sand for floor tiles for 3 bedroom bungalow, please help

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 11:27am On Oct 22, 2020
mufutau55:

Thank you for the good lectures and samples you gave me few years ago on different types of tiles. Thanks.

Hajji M.
You are welcome sir, I'm glad i could help in my own little way

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:31am On Oct 22, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I agreed 1000% with the above Sir. Thank you.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 12:26pm On Oct 22, 2020
Badgers14:

.. that will be nice..

I am a believe of dreams and hope
Sorry we will not live to see it
"I still have a dream that one day, we all will be able to enjoy our homes burglary proof free.. grin"
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 12:45pm On Oct 22, 2020
QSFemi:
Good morning.

No, it is not possible. 1 bag of cement will cover an average of 7 square metres for 1:6 mortar, 25mm thickness bedding for the tiles.

In a common language, for you to use 50 bags for tiling, it means that the area of the room/space to be tiled would be 350 square metres. That's definitely not realistic. So, the answer you seek as regards quantity of cement is that it is not possible to use 50 bags of cement for tiling a 3-bedroom building. It's an overestimation.

My brother don’t get it wrong, a bed of floor tiles is more than 25mm thickness as you suggested.
Some buildings floor level are not the same, in most cases the floor thickness for tiles do comes btw 70-100mm was thickness.

This similar question come up some pages back and i did analysis about it .

The Op and others it’s VERY possible to use btw 40-65 bags of cement for 3bedrooms flats.

Factors to consider are
- Rooms size.
- Floor level
- Toilet wall plum level
- size of the Toilets and kitchen
- wall area to tiled( some 1/2 wall some full wall
-level of workmanship.

Let’s do small arithmetic (3bedrooms standard)

-3-4 toilets
- dining
-kitchen
-store
-lobby

Medium Toilet wall and floor 3 bags *4=12bags
Kitchen wall and floor= 6 bags
Dining floor =4bags
Lobbies (inner)=6bags
Store -2 bags
Sitting room -5bags
Rooms 3*3=9 bags
Verander -4bags

Total bags =48bags

Same way for duplex btw 80-100 bags
That is why I do ask my client buy your cement in batches and see how it’s been used.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 12:46pm On Oct 22, 2020
QSFemi:
Good morning.

My brother don’t get it wrong, a bed of floor tiles is more than 25mm thickness as you suggested.
Some buildings floor level are not the same, in most cases the floor thickness for tiles do comes btw 70-100mm thickness.

This similar question came up some pages back and i did analysis about it .

The Op and others it’s VERY possible to use btw 40-65 bags of cement for 3bedrooms flats.

Factors to consider are
- Rooms size.
- Floor level
- Toilet wall (plum level)
- size of the Toilets and kitchen
- wall area to tiled( some 1/2 wall some full wall
-level of workmanship.

Let’s do small arithmetic (3bedrooms standard)

-3-4 toilets
- dining
-kitchen
-store
-lobby

Medium Toilet wall and floor 3 bags *4=12bags
Kitchen wall and floor= 6 bags
Dining floor =4bags
Lobbies (inner)=6bags
Store -2 bags
Sitting room -5bags
Rooms 3*3=9 bags
Verander -4bags

Total bags =48bags

Same way for duplex btw 80-100 bags
That is why I do ask my client buy your cement in batches and see how it’s been used.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1700) (1701) (1702) (1703) (1704) (1705) (1706) ... (3669) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kelvin1191(m), diordaves(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.