Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,244 members, 7,818,833 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1714) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4398852 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1711) (1712) (1713) (1714) (1715) (1716) (1717) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:01am On Oct 28, 2020
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:08am On Oct 28, 2020
Badgers14:

The architect or the oga Engineer involved in this should be handed over to SARS grin

But maybe that's what the client requested, who knows undecided

Often times, it’s what the client want. For such client, it’s better to be safe than sorry which is very true!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:26am On Oct 28, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

It should be possible without the supports I think.

Yes!

Pic 1 - 3: This is more than 8m long.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:29am On Oct 28, 2020
Pic 1 - 2: Wraparound Terrace
Pic 3: Cantilevered section of a ground beam

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 10:30am On Oct 28, 2020
Simple indeed! kiss
n3xt:

You might want to add this simple gate design to your design collection.

cool

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:32am On Oct 28, 2020
Skyroof (cantilever section)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:38am On Oct 28, 2020
Curved Terrace (also called lipstick)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:51am On Oct 28, 2020
And of course, there are small terraces that the client might specifically request for support.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:00am On Oct 28, 2020
mufutau55:

I know you will deliver too. Saved, if I ever needed a rolling gate in future especially auto-rolled.
Please post if you get better sleeve gates, need to replace a gate one of the supplier's driver here damaged few months ago.

Hajji M.

I’ll have to check but here’s something I’m working on for a residential project.

The beauty of gates is in the thickness of the plates used. A 3mm thick plate will give you a very clean gate.

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by JustCryptos: 11:18am On Oct 28, 2020
michlins:
as I have explained always, these doors can be used for interior and exterior needs.
About the toilet aspect, I will suggest that you use these aluminum doors cause of the water splashes (no steel can survive caustic soda from soap no matter how strong it is. Just give it time and the water will ruin it)
The doors can be customized as to your needs from the size of the frames which can be 5",6" or more. The doors sizes can be customized too.
About the locks, it's dealers choice but I always tell people to buy at least the quality on the door in review cause the cost of replacing the locks always offset the little savings you're trying to make.
The price of the door is 20,000 and 30,000 for the 3ft and 4ft respectively.
Kindly contact me with the attached detail

Chairman, you don get business card too? Please message me.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 12:13pm On Oct 28, 2020
JustCryptos:

Chairman, you don get business card too? Please message me.
already done that via your signature
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 12:21pm On Oct 28, 2020
n3xt:

I’ll have to check but here’s something I’m working on for a residential project.

The beauty of gates is in the thickness of the plates used. A 3mm thick plate will give you a very clean gate.

when you say 3mm, do you mean complete 3mm pan or 2.5mm cause I know what the weight of 2.5mm pan is alone. Add all those things and it becomes too heavy for some pillars to carry. Then imagine what 3mm will be like.

But it's always a bliss working with 2.5mm pan cause you don't have to worry about the smoothness of the work.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:03pm On Oct 28, 2020
n3xt:

Thank you Sir. I shall keep the plate gauge in mind.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by qdlvy: 1:11pm On Oct 28, 2020
n3xt:

Yes!

Why you node open thread for your builds anymore? Would be nice if I can follow your build stories. I like your work.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:49pm On Oct 28, 2020
qdlvy:

Why you node open thread for your builds anymore? Would be nice if I can follow your build stories. I like your work.

I focus more on construction hires and providing specialized building services now.

Thank you sir.

Services includes but not limited to:

- Formwork rental
- Concrete services (there are lintel and there are lintels smiley)
- Precast element (I recently added this service. Pic 4 is showing precast mould for inspection chambers)
- SmartHome Tech Integration
- Sandcrete blocks/bricks
- Steel works
- JV

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 2:51pm On Oct 28, 2020
n3xt:

Often times, it’s what the client want. For such client, it’s better to be safe than sorry which is very true!

I think the client took one look at the original cantilever and ‘fear catched him’. He didn’t trust the structural calcs so requested for more support.

As an aside, I created a cantilevered terrace above my front porch in the UK. To get the necessary sign off, the structural engineer’s calculations ran to 40 pages, all by hand!

Come and see dy/dx, partial differentials, torsional rigidity and all other dogon turenchi. He is one of these old school Engineers - probably still cherishes his favourite slide rule.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:14pm On Oct 28, 2020
jabolo:

I think the client took one look at the original cantilever and ‘fear catched him’. He didn’t trust the structural calls so requested for more support.

As an aside, I created a cantilevered terrace above my front porch in the UK. To get the necessary sign off, the structural engineer’s calculations ran to 40 pages, all by hand!

Come and see dy/dx, partial differentials, torsional rigidity [/i]and all other [i]dogon turenchi. He is one off these old school Engineers - probably still cherishes his favourite slide rule.

That’s the big difference between using an engineer and using people who really know their job.

In one of the pictures I shared recently, we wanted to introduce 3 columns to provide support for a newly introduced slab.

We had to stop the project and waited almost six months for the structural engineer to come with a new structural drawing.

We eventually ended up adding just one column.

The structural engineer said “I’m doing my job. It wouldn’t be necessary if I wasn’t informed.”

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:47pm On Oct 28, 2020
michlins:
when you say 3mm, do you mean complete 3mm pan or 2.5mm cause I know what the weight of 2.5mm pan is alone. Add all those things and it becomes too heavy for some pillars to carry. Then imagine what 3mm will be like.

But it's always a bliss working with 2.5mm pan cause you don't have to worry about the smoothness of the work.

Here’s the thing, many homeowners want to spend their more on buying beautiful gates – the first thing you’d see on any project - but spend less on installing the gates.
Of course, no one is going to see foundation and the supporting columns.

We are quick to search for latest designs online and work with our local welders to come up with our dream gates but give not much consideration to the foundation. (I think I shared something on gate installation weeks back).

Just like we have In every house, the foundation remains the most important part of any project - even foundation of a gate.

Beyond having good foundation, it’s also advisable to introduce wheels at the end of heavy gates to take the weight.

Using lighter gauge materials does not make a gate stronger, it makes it weaker.

I have a gate that’s almost 3 times heavier than my neighbour’s gate. He has repaired his gate 3 times in 5 years. I’ve never had to do anything.

________
One other thing is gate design. An open gate will always be lighter than a fully-covered gate especially when there’s wind sail.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 4:11pm On Oct 28, 2020
n3xt:

Here’s the thing, many homeowners want to spend their more on buying beautiful gates – the first thing you’d see on any project - but spend less on installing the gates.
Of course, no one is going to see foundation and the supporting columns.

We are quick to search for latest designs online and work with our local welders to come up with our dream gates but give not much consideration to the foundation. (I think I shared something on gate installation weeks back).

Just like we have In every house, the foundation remains the most important part of any project - even foundation of a gate.

Beyond having good foundation, it’s also advisable to introduce wheels at the end of heavy gates to take the weight.

Using lighter gauge materials does not make a gate stronger, it makes it weaker.

I have a gate that’s almost 3 times heavier than my neighbour’s gate. He has repaired his gate 3 times in 5 years. I’ve never had to do anything.

________
One other thing is gate design. An open gate will always be lighter than a fully-covered gate especially when there’s wind sail.
I have to give it to you but you know your onus when it comes to these things. You really do understand the difficulties I face when working.

Do I do something strong and simple or do I do something fancy and good.

Do something strong and you don't know what the homeowner intends to do at foundation.

If all clients will be just like you who understands that it takes more than strong materials to work
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 4:44pm On Oct 28, 2020
n3xt:

That’s the big difference between using an engineer and using people who really know their job.

In one of the pictures I shared recently, we wanted to introduce 3 columns to provide support for a newly introduced slab.

We had to stop the project and waited almost six months for the structural engineer to come with a new structural drawing.

We eventually ended up adding just one column.

The structural engineer said “I’m doing my job. It wouldn’t be necessary if I wasn’t informed.”

When I'm around my friend?
You wouldn't have waited for that long if you get in touch. Just playing pranks.

It's good to place emphasis on structural integrity and general wellbeing of the building.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by qwertyboss(m): 5:07pm On Oct 28, 2020
earthrealm:

Unsightly. I prefer it without the supports under
I actually share the same thought... because there's no economy there... neither did I see any aesthetics...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 5:48pm On Oct 28, 2020
n3xt:

You might want to add this simple gate design to your design collection.

cool

Bro, like how much would this gate cost? We are kobo kobo team sad

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 6:04pm On Oct 28, 2020
ty01:

Same here. Might have a business for you. Please let’s discuss.

Done & Dusted

672sqm

Roofing Sheet & Installation

Cost 2.6m Naira

Thanks so much for ur patronage..

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:30pm On Oct 28, 2020
abdulwastecx:

When I'm around my friend?
You wouldn't have waited for that long if you get in touch. Just playing pranks.

It's good to place emphasis on structural integrity and general wellbeing of the building.

Respect to all the structural engineers in the house. You're the reason the world go round!

That period of waiting taught me a lot. I understand that film-faced plywood is better than timber if you want your concrete to achieve maximum strength.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:44pm On Oct 28, 2020
michlins:
I have to give it to you but you know your onus when it comes to these things. You really do understand the difficulties I face when working.

Do I do something strong and simple or do I do something fancy and good.

Do something strong and you don't know what the homeowner intends to do at foundation.

If all clients will be just like you who understands that it takes more than strong materials to work

I think it should be this way "All clients need to know that a house is a sum of its parts. Beautiful gates deserves a solid foundation."

The thing dey pain me you no dey Lagos grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:00pm On Oct 28, 2020
n3xt:

I think it should be this way "All clients need to know that a house is a sum of its parts. Beautiful gates deserves a solid foundation."

The thing dey pain me you no dey Lagos grin

all of us won't be in Lagos. Some will be hearing the tales of Lagos from Nairaland

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:05pm On Oct 28, 2020
Focusmind:

Bro, like how much would this gate cost? We are kobo kobo team sad

If it's kobokobo, you'll be working directly with the welder. I think it should be around #220. If I'm involved, it is 250k pere.

___
Price Ex Works
2mm thick plate
Matt black finish

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:01pm On Oct 28, 2020
money121:

Done & Dusted

672sqm

Roofing Sheet & Installation

Cost 2.6m Naira

Thanks so much for ur patronage..

was the wood cost and labour all i ncluded or sheet only plus labour?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 10:12pm On Oct 28, 2020
erico2k2:

was the wood cost and labour all i ncluded or sheet only plus labour?

Roofing sheet and installation
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 10:42pm On Oct 28, 2020
money121:

Roofing sheet and installation
oh ok noted
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 10:50pm On Oct 28, 2020
qwertyboss:
whats your take on this cantilever?
considering the span and beams...

It's a No -No for me.. There is no need for the beams considering the span, load on it and location of the slab.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 10:57pm On Oct 28, 2020
n3xt:

Yes!

Nice pic. But the cantilever span is the shorter span not the longer (8m) span.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1711) (1712) (1713) (1714) (1715) (1716) (1717) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: CELEBRITYSAND, stnkembu(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.