Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,602 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1751) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4387841 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1748) (1749) (1750) (1751) (1752) (1753) (1754) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 2:12pm On Nov 13, 2020
[quote author=EgunMogaji2 post=95989313]Further to my training on marine board as framing wood, what width should I cut it down to? Thanks.[/quote

It depends on the width of what you want to use it for, either beam , column or slab.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 2:36pm On Nov 13, 2020
Essquare:
Good day fellow nairalanders/ professionals in the house. My questions is what is the difference between using plywood and plank for decking campentery work. Their pros and cons as well. I need your honest contributions please.

The difference is the appearance and the strength of the cast concrete.
Plank gives a rough cast with honeycombs due to the space between them caused by the segregation of the aggregates during casting and vibration. But when ply wood is pinned on the planks ,it gives a better finish and strength just like when you use a marine board.

Marine board because of it's smooth edge and surface has little space between them hence the cement slurry is able to bind the aggregates together, keep them in place and this increases the strength of the cast concrete and gives a fine& smooth finish.

Marine boards are reusable just like the planks but must be kept free from water.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 2:38pm On Nov 13, 2020
My chiefs... Please i want to install Windows to my house... But thinking of putting subframe first... Any advantage to that?...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yosmen: 3:39pm On Nov 13, 2020
mobileboy:
recently got a land of 40 by 60 feet in Lagos, the land is expensive (you know Lagos land na) and I intend to recoup some of my money through rent

I'm considering the type of structure that can be erected and I need the input of professional here

I intend building a 2-story building with:

i) The ground floor of 2bedroom flat (and one self-contain - if possible) with front packing space (2-3 cars max)
ii) the First floor of 2 unit of 2 bedroom flat
iii) Second-floor one-unit of standard 3 bedroom with store, dining

is this possible with the land size?
please can you suggest any better combinations?

engage an architect.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SurveyorGeo: 3:53pm On Nov 13, 2020
n3xt:

Interesting!

Ladyteeks, if I were you I’d consider engaging a QS to mange this type of project since you’re not fully on ground

If a middleman is involved, I’ll also disengage such person. They do more harm than good.

I second this motion by Hon. n3xt

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 4:06pm On Nov 13, 2020
n3xt:

A generous me won’t do more than below:

Bricklayer - 500k
Iron Bender - 150k
Carpenter - 150k
Supervision - 200k

If you’re in need of someone who can do it for less, I can send you a team that’ll do a quality job for less. Your guy will supervise their work

Bricklayer - 500k ---------8500 x 60 =510k (N60 per block) 8500 X 50 = 425K (per block N50)

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 4:06pm On Nov 13, 2020
n3xt:

A generous me won’t do more than below:

Bricklayer - 500k
Iron Bender - 150k
Carpenter - 150k
Supervision - 200k

If you’re in need of someone who can do it for less, I can send you a team that’ll do a quality job for less. Your guy will supervise their work

Bricklayer - ---------8500 x 60 =510k (N60 per block)
8500 X 50 = 425K (per block N50)

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SurveyorGeo: 4:10pm On Nov 13, 2020
mobileboy:
recently got a land of 40 by 60 feet in Lagos, the land is expensive (you know Lagos land na) and I intend to recoup some of my money through rent

I'm considering the type of structure that can be erected and I need the input of professional here

I intend building a 2-story building with:

i) The ground floor of 2bedroom flat (and one self-contain - if possible) with front packing space (2-3 cars max)
ii) the First floor of 2 unit of 2 bedroom flat
iii) Second-floor one-unit of standard 3 bedroom with store, dining

is this possible with the land size?
please can you suggest any better combinations?

40ft by 60ft is approximately 12.12metre by 18.30metre (222sqmts). Why not do a survey to maximize this space, even if it is a provisional survey. Plan for physical planning authority too. Good Luck
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:42pm On Nov 13, 2020
mobileboy:

Thanks for your response

I don't have a survey plan yet

the corner of the land is 90 degree

Chat me on WhatsApp: +2347035596641
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 5:52pm On Nov 13, 2020
GoodFaith:

Bricklayer - ---------8500 x 60 =510k (N60 per block)
8500 X 50 = 425K (per block N50)
Negotiating per block or total sum seem a better and safe idea than daily payment, on a low productive day or delays cost/losses is not on the owner/employer, I had the experience when I paid daily, don't think I will ever go that way again.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by checkmatez: 6:11pm On Nov 13, 2020
zuraking:
thanks for the obervation but that area is like that when it's raining. I have my plans for the floor when it's dry season. All the water dries up during that period , fence will be up, I will fill, floor and channel the compound water outside.

Even before the high price, I got 900k for long span but I don't like it. That building is big small, na 4 bedroom flat o

With time that building might be sinking and there would be moist on the walls which in turn peel painting.
And if your neighbors increase their foundation in height then you will definitely have water sipping from beneath the ground. Work on the above issues now, if you can

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rajput4real93: 6:23pm On Nov 13, 2020
n3xt:

Interesting!

Ladyteeks, if I were you I’d consider engaging a QS to mange this type of project since you’re not fully on ground

If a middleman is involved, I’ll also disengage such person. They do more harm than good.

@QsFemi prepared a bill of materials and Labour schedule for me a few months ago. He's a very good guy. I recommend him too

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:03pm On Nov 13, 2020
omanzo02:

Negotiating per block or total sum seem a better and safe idea than daily payment, on a low productive day or delays cost/losses is not on the owner/employer, I had the experience when I paid daily, don't think I will ever go that way again.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by aghaibiam(f): 8:08pm On Nov 13, 2020
I will be blessing my new home tomorrow.i am now the proud owner of a modest 4 bedroom bungalow.Thanks guys for all the free consultations.How do I move houses at minimum cost? Best bet would have been a nine eleven truck but there is no money for that.My house is 15 minutes away from my present address.

10 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:13pm On Nov 13, 2020
aghaibiam:
I will be blessing my new home tomorrow.i am now the proud owner of a modest 4 bedroom bungalow.Thanks guys for all the free consultations.How do I move houses at minimum cost? Best bet would have been a nine eleven truck but there is no money for that.My house is 15 minutes away from my present address.
congratulations

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 8:20pm On Nov 13, 2020
aghaibiam:

Happy for you
Congratulation
But Can I have a room or two

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SurveyorGeo: 8:20pm On Nov 13, 2020
aghaibiam:

Congratulations!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by zuraking(m): 8:26pm On Nov 13, 2020
checkmatez:
With time that building might be sinking and there would be moist on the walls which in turn peel painting.
And if your neighbors increase their foundation in height then you will definitely have water sipping from beneath the ground. Work on the above issues now, if you can
thanks I will
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by zuraking(m): 8:27pm On Nov 13, 2020
Bovijean:

I do think these are realistic 3d wallpapers pasted on a flat POP surface.
So my guess is the POP would be finished except for painting(The wallpaper area won't need painting) before pasting the 3d wallpapers
noted. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by One4me: 8:31pm On Nov 13, 2020
aghaibiam:

Congrats oOoo.
Just move your things bit by bit.
If you have friends nearby, solicit their help as well.
Beware of #EndSARS, so they wont be asking for the receipt of your kitchen Pots and Tea Cups. undecided

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:39pm On Nov 13, 2020
aghaibiam:
I will be blessing my new home tomorrow.i am now the proud owner of a modest 4 bedroom bungalow.Thanks guys for all the free consultations. How do I move houses at minimum cost? Best bet would have been a nine eleven truck but there is no money for that.My house is 15 minutes away from my present address.

Congratulations!!!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 9:05pm On Nov 13, 2020
aghaibiam:

Congratulations!!! More blessings to you in your new abode.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 9:23pm On Nov 13, 2020
aghaibiam:
Congratulations ma'am.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 9:32pm On Nov 13, 2020
Good evening my oga dem. I dey hear rumors about dollar climbing to 520 by tomorrow. How does someone do business in this type of economy. 5" frame I bought for #4600 on Saturday is now #5200 as at this afternoon. No be die be this bikonu. Just imagine that you made a quotation on Monday and client mobilized you on Monday. How do you explain that it's no longer possible to work with. 18 guage pan that sells for 9600 last weekend is now 10500 and it's projected to hit 11000 by Monday.

Please don't mind my epistles above but I'm just frustrated and angry about the whole thing

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 9:34pm On Nov 13, 2020
Good evening my oga dem. I dey hear rumors about dollar climbing to 520 by tomorrow. How does someone do business in this type of economy. 5" frame I bought for #4600 on Saturday is now #5200 as at this afternoon. No be die be this bikonu. Just imagine that you made a quotation on Monday and client mobilized you on Monday. How do you explain that it's no longer possible to work with. 18 guage pan that sells for 9600 last weekend is now 10500 and it's projected to hit 11000 by Monday. Oh I nearly forgot about the cost of petrol and how it affected the cost of transport immediately.

Please don't mind my epistles above but I'm just frustrated and angry about the whole thing
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 9:37pm On Nov 13, 2020
aghaibiam:
hearty congratulations ma'am. If you are able to build a house, moving into it wouldn't be a problem. The resources will surely come. Once again, congratulations

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:23pm On Nov 13, 2020
aghaibiam:

I noticed you didn't invite us for house warming. Congratulations. May you find peace and prosperity in your new home.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by coldcandy: 11:16pm On Nov 13, 2020
Cost of moving cannot be more than cost of 5 bags of cement. Just spend it.
When i am moving to my new house i am gonna carry only clothes and a few electronics. The rest... I will sell them to the aboki second hand dealers.

aghaibiam:

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by aghaibiam(f): 12:56am On Nov 14, 2020
diordaves:

I noticed you didn't invite us for house warming. Congratulations. May you find peace and prosperity in your new home.
House warming in this wonderful period when a bag of rice is greater than minimum wage grin.
I am just happy to escape next year rent.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 12:56am On Nov 14, 2020
aghaibiam:
Congratulations, ile a tu'ra ooo.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by aghaibiam(f): 12:58am On Nov 14, 2020
gbadexy:

Congratulations ma'am.
Thank you sir.I tapped from your knowledge when painting and I did it at minimal cost.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 12:58am On Nov 14, 2020
aghaibiam:

House warming in this wonderful period when a bag of rice is greater than minimum wage grin.
I am just happy to escape next year rent.
i can give you one @ ₦20k 50kg... Haba is money for just 10bags of Cement. grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (1748) (1749) (1750) (1751) (1752) (1753) (1754) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: HossanaHeights, psychologist(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.