Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1816) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4392264 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1813) (1814) (1815) (1816) (1817) (1818) (1819) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 7:21pm On Dec 05, 2020
1stNumeroUno:

My Oga, the disparity in price of Cement indicates that the hike is not from producer(s). A dealer told me this week that the middle men/distributors are the ones driving this particular crazy price. He confirmed that prices is still N2300-N2450 from producer. Someone corroborated it on a forum this week that a friend of his has made over N10m from this 'madness'.
So let's excuse the FG and talk to ourselves. We're bunch of greedy and callous people.

The government has its numerous shortcomings too o and we won't stop talking about them.

Yes, it's the middle men doing this.

My block producer confirmed same thing from Lafarge.

Same old price.

May God help Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Swinger60(f): 8:29pm On Dec 05, 2020
Cassie74:
Please does anyone knows how I can get a trailer load of cement at best price in Abuja...
I have a cement dealer in Abuja.

@best price, what exact price will be best for you?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:35pm On Dec 05, 2020
Are we saying that all the cement dealers went in and had a meeting, and decided to raise cement prices for over 80% all over the country while those selling rods and chippings are so good they don't want to hold meetings to add as much prices?

Isn't that strange?

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 9:21pm On Dec 05, 2020
I am looking into inverter/solar lighting systems and need to get knowledgeable about the different packages.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 9:41pm On Dec 05, 2020
Not strange IMHO.

What other or contrary insight or explanations do you have? Will like to hear it.

spyder880:
Are we saying that all the cement dealers went in and had a meeting, and decided to raise cement prices for over 80% all over the country while those selling rods and chippings are so good they don't want hold meetings to add as much prices?

Isn't that strange?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 10:01pm On Dec 05, 2020
megacontrol:
Not strange IMHO.

What other or contrary insight or explanations do you have? Will like to hear it.

I think it's a demand pulled inflation. Too many people chasing too few bags. There are so many dealers that are not getting supplied, a lot of shops without cement are we speak.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 10:07pm On Dec 05, 2020
What are the alternatives to achieving same or similar ceiling as POP? Gypsum boards?

With this volume of work you have, it may be worth it to explore if those are less impacted by price increase.
May also be possible to collaborate with others to ship stuffs in.

If our builders can provide tips on how to work around this crazy POP costs we are witnessing currently.

davodyguy:

Should developers stop and hope prices come down or we just pay more?

I need 100 bags of POP cement ₦1,000,000
100kg of Sponge ₦300,000
Other items ₦200,000
Labour ₦200,000

This makes no sense
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 10:33pm On Dec 05, 2020
spyder880:
Are we saying that all the cement dealers went in and had a meeting, and decided to raise cement prices for over 80% all over the country while those selling rods and chippings are so good they don't want hold meetings to add as much prices?

Isn't that strange?
Oga spyder what to those guys are saying is true, one of the big dealers in Lagos was selling for initial 3000 I thought it was expensive. His driver called and told us that they were receiving supplies of 19 trailers of 600 bags on that faithful day when I spoke with him. He tried to convince me to buy, I didn't that was on Saturday. When I went back on Wednesday he was selling for 3300 and there was not a single bag left in his warehouse between Saturday and Wednesday. Imagine how much money he made between those days?, he's also a iron dealer I was directed to him from the manufacturer of tiger tmt. When I brought iron from him at 254k per ton, as of 2 days ago he's selling the same iron for 300k. How could that happen?.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ArcToyin(m): 10:45pm On Dec 05, 2020
300wayne:
dears is it possible to have 1 unit of 1bedroom ( bedroom, living room, dinning, kitchen,toilet and bath) and 1self contain attached (1room, kitchen, toilet and bath ) on a 60ft x 30ft land .....with provision for small space ( say for water thank , sinking of well ecetera) .......please shear if you have a sketch plan of such structure in ur archive.......thanks

Cc rotecch77
saydfact
abdulwastecx
mufutau55
spyder880
atimadesign

It can contain two units of mini flat(a room & parlour self). I did one similar last week.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:57pm On Dec 05, 2020
Cement is still 2450 direct from factory. The inflation was from distributors.

How do I know?

In my project site, cement for all civil works is still 2450 per bag but the cement sold to block makers is now 3150 per bag.

Same Site, Same Product, Different Pricing.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 300wayne: 11:10pm On Dec 05, 2020
Tnx brotherly
ArcToyin:

It can contain two units of mini flat(a room & parlour self). I did one similar last week.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 11:28pm On Dec 05, 2020
n3xt:
Cement is still 2450 direct from factory. The inflation was from distributors.

How do I know?

In my project site, cement for all civil works is still 2450 per bag but the cement sold to block makers is now 3150 per bag.

Same Site, Same Product, Different Pricing.

That's what you get when a country have no serious control measures to check hoarding, racketing and unlawful price hike, in saner climes the police must have sealed the shops/deport up by now, charged them before a judge, make them a national news and loose their licence to operate for life.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by zuraking(m): 2:15am On Dec 06, 2020
gabbytabby:
I am looking into inverter/solar lighting systems and need to get knowledgeable about the different packages.
what do you mean by lightning systems? Do you mean you want to power your house with solar inverter? Then I can break down the prices, packages depending on your building. But trust me, that thing don't come cheap cos thats what I have been using for over 3 years now.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 6:50am On Dec 06, 2020
Johntemmy:
Good morning Happy Sunday to everyone.

please patronize me biko my Dad burial is on 17/18 of this month in ipoti Ekiti.
you are all invited.

Note:any donation/prayer/gift is welcome. thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:08am On Dec 06, 2020
omanzo02:

That's what you get when a country have no serious control measures to check hoarding, racketing and unlawful price hike, in saner climes the police must have sealed the shops/deport up by now, charged them before a judge, make them a national news and loose their licence to operate for life.

...in saner clime.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 7:37am On Dec 06, 2020
1stNumeroUno:

My Oga, the disparity in price of Cement indicates that the hike is not from producer(s). A dealer told me this week that the middle men/distributors are the ones driving this particular crazy price. He confirmed that prices is still N2300-N2450 from producer. Someone corroborated it on a forum this week that a friend of his has made over N10m from this 'madness'.
So let's excuse the FG and talk to ourselves. We're bunch of greedy and callous people.

The government has its numerous shortcomings too o and we won't stop talking about them.

/
Don’t blame the people. Blame the FG!

People will always find ways to cheat. That’s why government is necessary to maintain decorum. If people are able to self-regulate, there won’t be need for Customs, Police and other LEAs. The FGN has failed in her responsibilities to protect consumers from hoarders and profiteers. Do you remember when they used to seal fuel stations that set their meters in a way to cheat customers or were selling by very wide margins? That’s what government is for not just building flyovers and moving in convoys. Even in the sanest of all climates, people are still working out ways to cheat the system.

Fact is that Nigeria is on autopilot. What did Buhari achieve in his first term that all you voted him back in for 2nd term? When folks were prancing around shouting 4+4, didn’t they realize that every decision has consequences? You can’t plant mango and expect to harvest pineapple. Garbage in, garbage out. We are all living the consequences and it will be idiotic to complain.

/

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:04am On Dec 06, 2020
Happy Sunday everyone. Let's secure your house with beautiful iron works

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by poseidonsaiz(m): 8:07am On Dec 06, 2020
Good morning! Whatsapp: 07011561993

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:34am On Dec 06, 2020
spyder880:

I think it's a demand pulled inflation. Too many people chasing too few bags. There are so many dealers that are not getting supplied, a lot of shops without cement are we speak.

In my situation they don’t have stock because they’ve sold their delivery before it gets to the store.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 8:44am On Dec 06, 2020
n3xt:

...in saner clime.

Yes......, because disruption, unlawful hike, unfair competition are not tolerated and is dealt with accordingly.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:06am On Dec 06, 2020
omanzo02:

Yes......, because disruption, unlawful hike, unfair competition are not tolerated and is dealt with accordingly.

I wish those who call out artisans and dishonest contractors on this platform will rise up in time like this though.

cool

______
The situation is already looking like President Buhari’s selective anti-corruption drive.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:13am On Dec 06, 2020
n3xt:

I wish those who call out artisans and dishonest contractors on this platform will rise up in time like this though.

cool

I don’t hire from this platform as a matter of educated personal preference and policy but I do participate in giving positive feedbacks, as well as negative ones.

Whats new here that we haven’t talked about already that the price hike is from the distributors? What’s happening is not shocking as its part of the overall Nigerian experience. We just went through this with hand sanitizers and face masks.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 9:52am On Dec 06, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I don’t hire from this platform as a matter of educated personal preference and policy but I do participate in giving positive feedbacks, as well as negative ones.

Whats new here that we haven’t talked about already that the price hike is from the distributors? What’s happening is not shocking as its part of the overall Nigerian experience. We just went through this with hand sanitizers and face masks.

Same story they gave in 2014.... See below

[b]BusinessDay -
Cement: Who is behind the price hike?
By BusinessDay on May 4, 2014

Like most other strategic sectors of the Nigerian economy, the cement industry is very, very opaque such that nobody, except those in the business of manufacturing and marketing of the product, know what is happening in there.

The current scarcity leading to high price of the product in the market is, to say the least, quite inexplicable and incomprehensible to even the most discerning minds outside the product production circle. And the price hike, analyst believe, will negatively affect people’s desire and ability to own their own homes, and probably slow the pace of infrastructure development in the country.

Dashed hopes

In spite of all the promises made by cement manufacturers on price reduction after the Federal Government backward integration policy, product prices have continued to fluctuate in some parts of the country.

In December 2013, a 50 kilogram bag of cement sold for between N1,648 and N1,800. This was the situation till early part of 2014. Today, just four months after, the price has gone up by about 40 percent to between N2,200 and N2,500, depending on the location, the brand and the market.

In Nigeria, it is always difficult to believe or agree with much of the things we hear, more so when what people say, in some instances, are at variance with what they mean or the reality on ground.

A couple of years ago, precisely in 2012, our correspondent had the privilege of speaking with one of the cement manufacturers in Lagos and was told that “this year is the year when, for the first time in the history of this country, we believe that we are in a position to meet the demand for cement; we are up to a point of meeting the need for either export or the new need for road construction”.

Our source continued: “You are aware that local manufacturing capacity has been expanding very rapidly in the last two to three years with the construction of new cement plants by Dangote in Ibeshe which gives 6 million tons; Lafarge in Lakatabu produces 2.2 million tons while Line 3 of Dangote plant in Obajana also adds to the existing volume. These are new incremental capacity on what is already on ground”.

According to the source, the total installed cement production capacity in Nigeria as at then was about 28 million tons, pointing out that the previous year (2011) total cement consumption was about 17 million tons which, he added, goes up every year by about 5 to 10 percent.

“If you do your arithmetic, no matter how massive the expansion is in demand, you will agree with me that, all going well, we have the capacity now to meet local demand and have excess on top of it. So, from these figures, you can say that yes, we can have cement available even for road construction”, he declared.

In the light of the foregoing, it becomes difficult to understand why cement price continues to rise almost on quarterly basis. It could be taken for granted that an industry which has the above numbers, in terms of demand and supply, shouldn’t have any qualms with commodity pricing.

Defending the high price of this commodity despite increased supply, Joseph Makojuola, the president of Cement Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (CMAN), told journalists in Abuja that price reduction was not going to happen now “because this is a transition period; we are growing capacity but we are not producing the quantity that is envisaged now. What we are going to experience is similar to what happened to the telecommunication network”.

Explaining this, he said: “Initially, when the GSM network started coming in, the lines were very expensive, but gradually, with more lines and competition, prices started coming down. The same thing is going to happen with cement. I am very confident about this. In a year’s time, we will have cause to sit down like this to talk about much lower cement price than what they are today and this is the direction that it is going to go”

Manufacturers speak

The manufacturers of cement in the country include Dangote Cement, Lafarge WAPCO, United Cement Company of Nigeria, Ashaka Cement and Northern Cement Company of Nigeria. Dangote Cement (DangCem) remains the largest cement maker in the country, controlling over 60 percent of the market, while Lafarge is the second largest manufacturer in the country. Together, these manufacturers reached 28 million metric tons production levels by 2013, shoving aside South Africa as the largest cement maker in the Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA).

However, these may not have resulted in lower prices, say analysts. But these manufacturers have at one time or the other responded to the growing clamour for further reduction in prices.

During the previous price hike in March, a manufacturer attributed the situation to turn around maintenance that was happening across the industry.

“You know that during turn around maintenance, our production levels are often low. If you were producing 300, you could only produce just 20 or 30. The situation led to scarcity, leading to high prices,’’ said a reliable source at UniCem, in a chat with BDSUNDAY.

Another cement maker, who wished to remain anonymous, attributed the rising prices to high input costs, demand supply-dynamics as well as fluctuations in the exchange rate.

“Recent delivered price increase is meant to recover some of the transport subsidies to various locations across the country,’’ the source said.

“Retail prices are being driven by demand-supply dynamics some of which are specific to locations. We are working hard to address supply balance through our structured distribution system. It is not our usual practice to increase prices incessantly but this particular action was necessitated by the continued pressure on cost. It is worth mentioning that our prices have been stable in the last three years. In fact, prices reduced by over 4percent between 2011 and 2013,’’ the source added.

The source further said that there had been no change to ex-works trade prices as they had not gone up in the last four years, in spite of increasing input costs and foreign currency movements that adversely impacted the cost of imported inputs.

But a reliable source said one of the manufacturers, that used to power its plants with gas, is feeling the pinch of gas shortages in the country. According to this source, the cement maker is now using Low Pour Fuel Oil (LPFO), which is currently more expensive. To make up for the marginal cost, the cement maker had to increase prices.

Another manufacturer attributed it to middle-men who still want to convince buyers that the hike is from manufacturers.

A source said demand is higher in Lagos than in any other part of the country, adding that some unscrupulous middle-men take advantage of the situation to create artificial scarcity to raise prices.

BDSUNDAY was also told that a major manufacturer is experiencing hiccups in its machinery, leading to slower production and scarcity.

Retailers and distributors react

A retailer at Ikeja area of Lagos, who identified himself as Samuel, blamed the increase on the distributors who create artificial scarcity to make huge profits.

“These people give us cement at high prices. When you ask them, they say it is no longer easy to get them. They say costs have increased, but I do not think so. They only pack them in their warehouses and create scarcity.

A distributor, who preferred to remain anonymous, said the question BDSUNDAY asked him regarding the high prices, should be directed to manufacturers, adding that they incur higher costs in transportation and miscellaneous.

A cement dealer in Lagos, who did not want to be mentioned, told BDSUNDAY that the occasional scarcity and price hike were not because the manufacturers were inflating prices but because it is costly to transport cement to the market. “There are no good roads and no rail lines. Poor road network also affect other commodities including farm produce. So, the price of cement is high because of poor road network”, he stressed.

Analysts’ view

Industry analysts have expressed surprise that all these are happening in a country with huge deposit of lime stone which is the major raw material for cement manufacturing.

According to them, Nigeria is one of the most endowed countries in terms of limestone deposits, explaining that this is one of the minerals that abound in commercial quantity in the six geopolitical zones of the country.

“There is no other mineral like that. If you look at the deployment of cement plants in Nigeria today, you see that every geopolitical zone has one or two viable cement plants. We have Ibeshe and Ewekoro in Ogun State in South West; we have Obajana in Kogi, North Central; we have Sokoto Cement in Sokoto State which is North West; we have Ashaka Cement in Gombe which is North East; we have Benue Cement in Benue State which is North Central etc. If you go to any of these locations, most of them have reserves for over 50 years’ production which is a plus for Nigeria”, they said.

Emmanuel Obire, a structural engineer and estate developer in Lagos, explained to BDSUNDAY in a telephone interview that the present scarcity has been caused by a cut in the conveyor belt of the plant belonging to one of the big manufacturers. Upon this, he added, another big manufacturer says it is undergoing routine plant maintenance.

Obire, who is the developer of the nearly 1,000-unit Teju Royal Garden, said he was at a loss why the big producers have problems at the same time, alleging that the whole thing was a ploy to create artificial scarcity in order to hike prices.

“The Federal Government has banned the importation of this product into the country and the manufacturers are surreptitiously creating a monopoly ring aimed to rip end users off; they should allow importers to bring in this commodity because we don’t have the capacity yet to meet local demand”, he advised.

During the hike in the early part of the year, Kunle Awobudu, president, Building Collapse Prevention Guild (BCPG), set up by the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) had been quoted to have attributed the situation to high construction across the country, particularly in the dry season. He had attributed the phenomenon to the scarcity common during dry season.

World Bank estimates housing shortage in Nigeria at 17 million. There is growing demand for housing and infrastructure to cater for the 170million Nigerian population. As a result of this, analysts are quite in consonance that demand-supply dynamics remains the major reason for this. According to them, demand exceeds supply in most cases, so the prices must rise.

But Ikechukwu Ibeabuchi, a market analyst, said, given the rising infrastructural and housing needs, price hike could not have been unusual. According to him, the demand had exceeded supply, as few licensed importers had not been able to bridge the gap.

“Housing needs are rising. Construction is done in all parts of the country. But there are still few manufacturers, meaning that demand will always be higher than supply,’’ he said

Another analyst wondered why manufacturers, some of whom use gas to fire their production, cannot reduce cement prices, given that they incur low energy costs.

Nigerians were alerted

A few weeks ago, a coalition of civil society and professional bodies, had raised the alarm that some stakeholders were hoarding the product to cause artificial scarcity and ultimately, push up its price.

Tunde Ojo, the coalition’s spokesperson, said that the step was aimed at blackmailing the Federal Government and the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON), into slowing down on their resolve to standardise the product.

He said: “It is very unfortunate that this is happening in this part of the world. The activities of these unpatriotic groups have resulted in the hike of price of the product in various parts of the country and if not quickly cautioned or checked, this will lead to an abnormal price increase for cement.”

Ojo urged the Federal Government to move fast and checkmate those elements he said “do not care about the ordinary Nigerians but their profits”.

“The price disruptive action of these undesirable elements is even creating more problems because the timing of their activities is coinciding with the peak of the construction season, considering the fact that the rains will come in full force in two months from now,” he said.

Recent cement quality war to blame

Some analysts have also attributed the current price hike to the recent cement quality war existing in the industry. In January this year, a coalition of civil society groups had come up to allege that some cement manufacturers were producing low quality product.

In the cement industry, there are 32.5, 42.5 and 52.5 grades of cement. Each of these grades has variants. The argument of the group is, therefore, that 32.5 grade was low quality and something should be done to prompt manufacturers to move up to 42.5 grade.

The issue generated so much tension in the industry that SON and the minister of trade and investment intervened. There was also intervention from the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN).

During the crisis, Victor O. Oyenuga, immediate past president, Nigerian Institution of Structural Engineers, had said that rather than cement, factors responsible for such collapses include improper soil test, faulty design, conversion of residential buildings to offices, shoddy construction practices, non-engagement of professionals in the building process and mixture, among others. According to him, using a bag of cement in a situation where two bags are needed is a serious building malpractice also responsible for this.

Kunle Awobodu, president, Building Collapse Prevention Guild (BCPG) set up by SON in 2011, identified faulty and copied design, lack of comprehensive subsoil investigation, non-adherence to approved designed, use of substandard materials, professional incompetence, cognitive dissonance, pilfering and ignorance, among others, as causes of building collapse.

SON ended the war when it summoned all the players in March and set up a technical committee to look into the complaints from various quarters.

Analysts say that this must have contributed to high cement prices as manufacturers are currently spending more on public enlightenment and media campaigns, and adverts.

“You can see the situation has led to increase in adverts in newspaper, which are built into the production costs. There are also innovations as Dangote has introduced 3X as well as Big Boss. Others too have changed their bags to ensure that each grade is boldly written on the bag. Lafarge and UniCem are also training artisans, block makers, among others. So you see, we need to look at this area as a possible cause,’’ said Ebuka Ezeh, market analyst and economist.

Implications for aspiring home owners

Analysts believe that the soaring cement price is capable of jeopardising the dream of many Nigerians from having their own homes.

An analyst told BDSUNDAY that many Nigerians who may have been tired of the escalating rent in urban centres, especially Lagos, would be unable to either embark on a building project or, those who are already having such a project may not successfully complete it at a record time.

“Before now, it was said that cement is the cheapest material needed for building. Usually, the major problem in a building project is the roofing. But with the situation now where cement price is rising steadily, it means that many people will not be able to build their own house, or even those who may have started could be frustrated midway. It will also affect other construction works such as roads, bridges etc. A country that has a housing deficit of over 17 million should not be talking about unaffordable cement,” the commentator said.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by donbrowser(m): 9:56am On Dec 06, 2020
Please how much does it cost to obtain C of O in Ogun state
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 10:13am On Dec 06, 2020
Biko my own is to that make the cost of cement fall.
In other news, the burglary y'all want is attached. You can always open and close it at will

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:24am On Dec 06, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

There is a fine line between processing the experience to make it manageable and reliving the moment by talking through the problem - who to blame, who’s at fault and who bear the brunt.

The psychological equivalent of this is scratching a mosquito bite. If we don’t stop scratching and find a way (system) to prevent further bites, it is going to continue to itch and we may eventually become infected.

So in essence, talking through the problem isn’t bad neither is knowing who’s right or what went wrong but what isn’t useful is if we keep reliving the trauma without developing systems to protect ourselves.

Consumer protection is zero in Nigeria. Most businessmen understands this dynamics, hence the hike in prices of commodities in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:18pm On Dec 06, 2020
n3xt:

There is a fine line between processing the experience to make it manageable and reliving the moment by talking through the problem - who to blame, who’s at fault and who bear the brunt.

The psychological equivalent of this is scratching a mosquito bite. If we don’t stop scratching and find a way (system) to prevent further bites, it is going to continue to itch and we may eventually become infected.

So in essence, talking through the problem isn’t bad neither is knowing who’s right or what went wrong but what isn’t useful is if we keep reliving the trauma without developing systems to protect ourselves.

Consumer protection is zero in Nigeria. Most businessmen understands this dynamics, hence the hike in prices of commodities in Nigeria.

No time for too much talk Oga mi, we’ll agree to disagree.

It’s not my job or desire to find solutions (I’m retired). The leadership and cement dealers knows what they’re doing cool

If it gets too hot I’ll take my retirement dollar to Rwanda or The Gambia. Shikena.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 1stNumeroUno: 1:47pm On Dec 06, 2020
InvertedHammer:

/
Don’t blame the people. Blame the FG!

People will always find ways to cheat. That’s why government is necessary to maintain decorum. If people are able to self-regulate, there won’t be need for Customs, Police and other LEAs. The FGN has failed in her responsibilities to protect consumers from hoarders and profiteers. Do you remember when they used to seal fuel stations that set their meters in a way to cheat customers or were selling by very wide margins? That’s what government is for not just building flyovers and moving in convoys. Even in the sanest of all climates, people are still working out ways to cheat the system.

Fact is that Nigeria is on autopilot. What did Buhari achieve in his first term that all you voted him back in for 2nd term? When folks were prancing around shouting 4+4, didn’t they realize that every decision has consequences? You can’t plant mango and expect to harvest pineapple. Garbage in, garbage out. We are all living the consequences and it will be idiotic to complain.

/

Well said bro, but if you think the blame is only on Government then the argument is not fair. Because there's this saying that - every people deserve the government they have.

So, as we point finger at the government, we should also live upright.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mobileboy: 3:12pm On Dec 06, 2020
We might be tempted to blame distributors and middlemen for increase in price of cement but from my own point I disagree (my personal opinion)

The quantity supplied and quantity demanded are no longer in tandem hence middlemen tends to sell for highest bidder

But my main question is why are cement seller shops empty, the one they buy finish in days and restocking is difficult

Where is the artificial scarcity coming from? The producer! They pretend they did nothing wrong by selling at same price but yet creating scarcity

I don't believe all of a sudden the demand for cement astronomically increase rather it's supply that decrease drastically albeit intentional

Border was opened for dangote to export cement yet there is scarcity of same isn't that obvious government and cement company conniving to do us strong thing? What's cement price few weeks before this selective border opening

Can cement company claim there is low level of production or limestone finish? If limestone has finish should we tell government to allow import of cement?

9 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by loffers(m): 3:49pm On Dec 06, 2020
zuraking:
what do you mean by lightning systems? Do you mean you want to power your house with solar inverter? Then I can break down the prices, packages depending on your building. But trust me, that thing don't come cheap cos thats what I have been using for over 3 years now.
Good day,
Please i'm interested in the breakdown also
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by loffers(m): 4:00pm On Dec 06, 2020
mobileboy:
We might be tempted to blame distributors and middlemen for increase in price of cement but from my own point I disagree (my personal opinion)

The quantity supplied and quantity demanded are no longer in tandem hence middlemen tends to sell for highest bidder

But my main question is why are cement seller shops empty, the one they buy finish in days and restocking is difficult

Where is the artificial scarcity coming from? The producer! They pretend they did nothing wrong by selling at same price but yet creating scarcity

I don't believe all of a sudden the demand for cement astronomically increase rather it's supply that decrease drastically albeit intentional

Border was opened for dangote to export cement yet there is scarcity of same isn't that obvious government and cement company conniving to do us strong thing? What's cement price few weeks before this selective border opening

Can cement company claim there is low level of production or limestone finish? If limestone has finish should we tell government to allow import of cement?

I'm tempted to share the same view with you.
The scarcity started almost around the same time the border was opened for Dangote to export cement out of the country, so we can easily there was less supply into the Nigerian market because of the Export(Provided level of production remains the same)

On the other way round, if Dangote stands to make more money in the Nigerian market than Exporting to other countries, then we can conclude that the scarcity is from the middlemen and not Dangote.
People tend to build more during the Dry season compared to the Rainy season, so there will be more demand for the little available supply and middlemen will definitely catch-in on this to make more profit.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:03pm On Dec 06, 2020
mobileboy:

Very valid!

Prices went to 3100 at my end because an Indian company doing some massive construction nearby is ready to buy at any price.

______
Within the month of November alone, I sold over 12 trucks while my cement supplier could hardly get 1 truck to sell.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1813) (1814) (1815) (1816) (1817) (1818) (1819) ... (3667) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.