Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1817) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4394358 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1814) (1815) (1816) (1817) (1818) (1819) (1820) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 4:18pm On Dec 06, 2020
megacontrol:
What are the alternatives to achieving same or similar ceiling as POP? Gypsum boards?

With this volume of work you have, it may be worth it to explore if those are less impacted by price increase.
May also be possible to collaborate with others to ship stuffs in.

If our builders can provide tips on how to work around this crazy POP costs we are witnessing currently.

I think someone already did the analysis and said the Gypsum board is more expensive.

I don't mind exploring.

It's costing me ₦1,300,000 and I'll love alternative, which I can then screed
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:43pm On Dec 06, 2020
davodyguy:

I think someone already did the analysis and said the Gypsum board is more expensive.

I don't mind exploring.

It's costing me ₦1,300,000 and I'll love alternative, which I can then screed

Haha! I started exploring options since 2013. I didn’t allow people to convince me otherwise.

Plasterboard (whether you call it fake or cheap abi na Chinese) was used on my projects and we’ve not had any issues.

Current price at Omega is N8,500

______
Pics - Plasterboard installation inside NextHome H52 (Dec 2014)

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 4:44pm On Dec 06, 2020
n3xt:

Haha! I started exploring options since 2013. I didn’t allow people to convince me otherwise.

Plasterboard (whether you call it fake or cheap abi na Chinese) was used on my projects and we’ve not had any issues.

Current price at Omega is N8,500

______
Pics - Plasterboard installation inside NextHome H52 (Dec 2014)
The ₦8500 comprises what?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:47pm On Dec 06, 2020
davodyguy:

The ₦8500 comprises what?

Board only.

6k as at the last time you made enquiries.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 4:53pm On Dec 06, 2020
mobileboy:
We might be tempted to blame distributors and middlemen for increase in price of cement but from my own point I disagree (my personal opinion)

The quantity supplied and quantity demanded are no longer in tandem hence middlemen tends to sell for highest bidder

But my main question is why are cement seller shops empty, the one they buy finish in days and restocking is difficult

Where is the artificial scarcity coming from? The producer! They pretend they did nothing wrong by selling at same price but yet creating scarcity

I don't believe all of a sudden the demand for cement astronomically increase rather it's supply that decrease drastically albeit intentional

Border was opened for dangote to export cement yet there is scarcity of same isn't that obvious government and cement company conniving to do us strong thing? What's cement price few weeks before this selective border opening

Can cement company claim there is low level of production or limestone finish? If limestone has finish should we tell government to allow import of cement?

The current cement unit price is not a demand pulled inflation as spyder880 said. I have said this on this forum before; the current situation regarding cement is a fall out of the very poor management of the foreign exchange policy by the CBN. This is what is going on:

It should be recalled that the Federal Government gave a concession to Dangote and BUA to export cement to Niger Republic despite the border closure. Now ask yourselves, why Niger Republic; why Cement in particular. What is the attraction of Niger Republic and Cement? But how is this related to the current hike in price and the exchange rate of the Naira? I will try and explain in a simple term.

The black market rate of the Naira dictates the economic trend in the country. We know that the Naira has again fallen in value dangerously to all international currencies. Now the cement companies including the biggest player (Dangote) are still producing at the 'old' rate of the Naira and as already said by some contributors here, still selling at the 'old' factory gate price. From history, we know that the cement companies will soon adjust the factory gate price of cement in line with the now dangerous rate of the Naira. This happens all the time the Naira is devalued.

Note that when Dangote trailer leaves the factory gate, that trailer load of 600 bags is no longer Dangote's, although it is on Dangote's branded trailer. The 600 bags have already been paid for by the dealer about two or even three months ago. The cement companies are just fulfilling the forward contract. The cement dealers know that Dangote and the rest will soon adjust their prices. The current price (N4,200) the dealers are selling now is a speculative anticipatory price to accommodate the eventual increase by the cement companies and a mechanism to stay in business. What does this mean? Be patient.

At the 'old' price (for example) of 2,550 Naira (the wholesale price 600 bags) the dealer needs about 1,470,000 Naira to fulfill an order of a trailer load. If Dangote now increases the price, the dealer will need more Naira to fulfil the same order (trailer load). So what dealers are doing now is selling at a speculative price to accommodate any increase in price so that they can continue trading. If they don't sell at a higher price now, they will not have enough money to fulfil a trailer load when the factory price goes up. If the factory price goes up.

Now the Niger Republic connection. The Naira has been drastically devalued which means Nigeria cement is cheaper to dealers in Niger Republic. Demand from Niger Republic must have gone up. What is now happening is Nigeria dealers are now diverting (fulfilling Niger Republic order) to Niger Republic to earn foreign exchange leaving the home (Nigeria) market panting for breath. This also happens with cross border trade with petrol. This should explain the scarcity in the country. Someone or some people are benefiting from the deliberately imposed chaos. Why Niger Republic? Why cement?

Stability will return after Dangote and the cement companies announce the new adjusted price or stick to the 'old' price. As part of Dangote Social Corporate Responsibility (SCR), as the market leader should come out with a statement on the current situation to calm things down and issue assurances to dealers regarding any new factory gate price. This is the responsible thing to do. I'm not expecting cement to go back to the old price.

I have tried accessing Dangote Cement website to see if there is any statement in this regard and to send them a message but the website (surprisingly) is not working. If the website is working for you let us know.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:55pm On Dec 06, 2020
I rock this material (Plasterboard) for years and I’m not sick yet grin grin

In Nigeria, there’s always a problem for every solution. grin

If it’s not too cheap or assumed to be more expensive, it’s either fake or unsafe

Anyway, it’s not a bibeli.

______
Pics - Plasterboard inside NextHome H52.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:01pm On Dec 06, 2020
n3xt:
I rock this material (Plasterboard) for years and I’m not sick yet grin grin

In Nigeria, there’s always a problem for every solution. grin

If it’s not too cheap or assumed to be more expensive, it’s either fake or unsafe

Anyway, it’s not a bibeli.

______
Pics - Plasterboard inside NextHome H52.

We’ve already hashed this out before. I don’t have your time this afternoon as I’m not feeling well grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 5:05pm On Dec 06, 2020
n3xt:

Board only.

6k as at the last time you made enquiries.
What a country.
Between August to December, ₦2500 increment

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:15pm On Dec 06, 2020
davodyguy:

What a country.
Between August to December, ₦2500 increment

If the price of Plasterboard and POP cement are beyond me, I’ll go for exposed beam joist ceiling.

Naija can’t hold me to ransom cool

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by zuraking(m): 5:15pm On Dec 06, 2020
loffers:

Good day,
Please i'm interested in the breakdown also
okay. The battery I am using is 150ah which cost 60k for one. So let's assume your house is 2 bedroom to 3 bedroom, you can manage 2 batteries. If your house is 4 bedroom or duplex you can use 4 batteries and have it in mind that you must be checking wattage of any electronics you are buying or using (the lower the wattage, the longer your battery will last after fully charged). You MUST use original AKT energy bulbs with 5-10 watts maximum in your house to make the batteries last longer.

So what's are needed :

1.. batteries 150ah cost 60k, 200ah cost 95k

2... Inverter (this will be the one to supply light and also charge the batteries when we are in raining season) price is 65k for 1kv and 120k for 2.5kv. you can buy used one to cut cost which is 35k for 1kv and 75k for 2.5k.

3... Solar panels. 150ah batteries needs 300watts to charge it full with 5-6hours sunlight. so you can buy 150watts 2 for 150ah battery which cost 25k per 150watt. If you don't want your roofing to be filled up with panels, you can buy single 300watts for 38-45k (but I prefer 150 watts)

4... charge controller: this is used to control the sunlight that will be charging your batteries with solar panels to avoid over charging. It cost 8-10k

5... You need wire that will connect your solar panels from.th roofing to the batteries inside. The price depends on the height of the roofing and the location of the batteries. price shouldn't be more that 10k assuming the house is 2 story building and you live down.

In conclusion, your pocket will give you what you want and the more the batteries and panels, the longer the power supply. When my batteries are fully charged (with 5-6 hours sunlight my batteries are full already) we use it from evening till the next morning.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:17pm On Dec 06, 2020
zuraking:
okay. The battery I am using is 150ah which cost 60k for one. So let's assume your house is 2 bedroom to 3 bedroom, you can manage 2 batteries. If your house is 4 bedroom or duplex you can use 4 batteries and have it in mind that you must be checking wattage of any electronics you are buying or using (the lower the wattage, the longer your battery will last after fully charged). You MUST use original AKT energy bulbs with 5-10 watts maximum in your house to make the batteries last longer.

So what's are needed :

1.. batteries 150ah cost 60k, 200ah cost 95k

2... Inverter (this will be the one to supply light and also charge the batteries when we are in raining season) price is 65k for 1kv and 120k for 2.5kv. you can buy used one to cut cost which is 35k for 1kv and 75k for 2.5k.

3... Solar panels. 150ah batteries needs 300watts to charge it full with 5-6hours sunlight. so you can buy 150watts 2 for 150ah battery which cost 25k per 150watt. If you don't want your roofing to be filled up with panels, you can buy single 300watts for 38-45k (but I prefer 150 watts)

4... charge controller: this is used to control the sunlight that will be charging your batteries with solar panels to avoid over charging. It cost 8-10k

5... You need wire that will connect your solar panels from.th roofing to the batteries inside. The price depends on the height of the roofing and the location of the batteries price shouldn't be more that 10k assuming the house is 2 story building and you live down.

In conclusion, your pocket will give you what you want and the more the batteries and panels, the longer the power supply. When my batteries are fully charged (with 5-6 hours sunlight my batteries are full already) we use it from evening till the next morning.

Nice

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:23pm On Dec 06, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

We’ve already hashed this out before. I don’t have your time this afternoon as I’m not feeling well grin

grin grin

A new generation bank used Nigerite cement board instead of POP in one of their project near me.

Change is constant. We need to constantly explore alternative offerings.

All these merchants are doing what they’re doing because they felt we got no other choice.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:27pm On Dec 06, 2020
Some few years ago, I did a mobile office construction using steel. The qty of cement used was very negligible when you consider the size of the project.

We didn’t use a single block or brick and there was no need for plastering as we use plasterboards for the internal walls and the exteriors were cladded.

_________
We used less than 10 bags of cement per unit on the 32sqm office building.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by masix11(m): 5:35pm On Dec 06, 2020
Where in Lagos I can get electronic fittings ware house
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Godisgreatest1: 6:34pm On Dec 06, 2020
diordaves:

The current cement unit price is not a demand pulled inflation as spyder880 said. I have said this on this forum before; the current situation regarding cement is a fall out of the very poor management of the foreign exchange policy by the CBN. This is what is going on:

It should be recalled that the Federal Government gave a concession to Dangote and BUA to export cement to Niger Republic despite the border closure. Now ask yourselves, why Niger Republic; why Cement in particular. What is the attraction of Niger Republic and Cement? But how is this related to the current hike in price and the exchange rate of the Naira? I will try and explain in a simple term.

The black market rate of the Naira dictates the economic trend in the country. We know that the Naira has again fallen in value dangerously to all international currencies. Now the cement companies including the biggest player (Dangote) are still producing at the 'old' rate of the Naira and as already said by some contributors here, still selling at the 'old' factory gate price. From history, we know that the cement companies will soon adjust the factory gate price of cement in line with the now dangerous rate of the Naira. This happens all the time the Naira is devalued.

Note that when Dangote trailer leaves the factory gate, that trailer load of 600 bags is no longer Dangote's, although it is on Dangote's branded trailer. The 600 bags have already been paid for by the dealer about two or even three months ago. The cement companies are just fulfilling the forward contract. The cement dealers know that Dangote and the rest will soon adjust their prices. The current price (N4,200) the dealers are selling now is a speculative anticipatory price to accommodate the eventual increase by the cement companies and a mechanism to stay in business. What does this mean? Be patient.

At the 'old' price (for example) of 2,550 Naira (the wholesale price 600 bags) the dealer needs about 1,470,000 Naira to fulfill an order of a trailer load. If Dangote now increases the price, the dealer will need more Naira to fulfil the same order (trailer load). So what dealers are doing now is selling at a speculative price to accommodate any increase in price so that they can continue trading. If they don't sell at a higher price now, they will not have enough money to fulfil a trailer load when the factory price goes up. If the factory price goes up.

Now the Niger Republic connection. The Naira has been drastically devalued which means Nigeria cement is cheaper to dealers in Niger Republic. Demand from Niger Republic must have gone up. What is now happening is Nigeria dealers are now diverting (fulfilling Niger Republic order) to Niger Republic to earn foreign exchange leaving the home (Nigeria) market panting for breath. This also happens with cross border trade with petrol. This should explain the scarcity in the country. Someone or some people are benefiting from the deliberately imposed chaos. Why Niger Republic? Why cement?

Stability will return after Dangote and the cement companies announce the new adjusted price or stick to the 'old' price. As part of Dangote Social Corporate Responsibility (SCR), as the market leader should come out with a statement on the current situation to calm things down and issue assurances to dealers regarding any new factory gate price. This is the responsible thing to do. I'm not expecting cement to go back to the old price.

I have tried accessing Dangote Cement website to see if there is any statement in this regard and to send them a message but the website (surprisingly) is not working. If the website is working for you let us know.

https://www.dangotecement.com/

The website is working perfectly.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 6:34pm On Dec 06, 2020
n3xt:

grin grin

A new generation bank used Nigerite cement board instead of POP in one of their project near me.

Change is constant. We need to constantly explore alternative offerings.

All these merchants are doing what they’re doing because they felt we got no other choice.

Dominion uses it too I think.

It’s about money for most.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:25pm On Dec 06, 2020
masix11:
Where in Lagos I can get electronic fittings ware house

Alaba
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:26pm On Dec 06, 2020
twinskenny:

Alaba

I’ll never step foot in that place again in my life. Una well done for Lagos o.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:34pm On Dec 06, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

lol just book a whole day plus second day body massage angry

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 7:48pm On Dec 06, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I was there 6 days ago.. my body felt the difference in weather. Still having body pains. Imagine.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DancingSkeleton(m): 7:51pm On Dec 06, 2020
I’d love to know the current prices of these electrical items

1). bundles of pipes
2). 12-ways switch control
3). 4-ways Switch control
4). Mik box packet (double)
5). Mik box packet (single )
6). packet of Y-box
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 8:08pm On Dec 06, 2020
DancingSkeleton:
I’d love to know the current prices of these electrical items

1). bundles of pipes
2). 12-ways switch control
3). 4-ways Switch control
4). Mik box packet (double)
5). Mik box packet (single )
6). packet of Y-box

Bundles of pipe,
20mm 3600
Original 20mm 6500
25mm pipe. 4500
Original 20mm 7500

12ways switch control, are you referring to Distribution board or grid switch

For distribution board
ABB ORIGINAL
12 Way TPN. 85000
12 way SPN. 4500
6 way TPN. 60000
6 way SPN. 28500

FOR GRID SWITCH
12 way complete with modules 83000
6 way complete with modules 47000
13A double socket legtand 11000 per packet
13A single socket legtand 12,000per packet
Packet of Y-box 1800

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DancingSkeleton(m): 8:19pm On Dec 06, 2020
topsy23:

Bundles of pipe,
20mm 3600
Original 20mm 6500
25mm pipe. 4500
Original 20mm 7500

For distribution board
ABB ORIGINAL
12 Way TPN. 85000
12 way SPN. 4500
6 way TPN. 60000
6 way SPN. 28500

FOR GRID SWITCH
Packet of Y-box 1800
Distribution board I believe, something like this picture attached and also I modified the lost below

1. A&B m.c.b 12ways

2. A&B m.c.b 6ways

3. U.K pipe 20mm.

4. Normal pipe 20mm

5. Normal pipe 25mm .

6. 20mm coupler.

7. 25mm coupler.

8. 2 in 1 m.k box

9. M.k box

10. Y box 3packets.

11. Cooker unit box

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:48pm On Dec 06, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

grin grin

I paid 7500 naira just to move 20 packets of tile from Ogba to OPIC yesterday. We spent 2 hours in traffic. The journey was not meant to take more than 7 mins.

#ThisisLagos

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 1stNumeroUno: 11:23pm On Dec 06, 2020
spyder880:

I think it's a demand pulled inflation. Too many people chasing too few bags. There are so many dealers that are not getting supplied, a lot of shops without cement are we speak.

That's logical. But this was what I learnt happened - Mid year when the lock down was heavy, Lafarge started a massive overhaul of its production machines. Trying to take advantage of the low demand due to lock down and the raining season. This activity do last for a while, so it was still on when the lock down was released and more demands set in.

Now Lafarge has started production and Dangote is also still producing but Distributors seems to be manipulating the market for their selfish gain still.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 1:53am On Dec 07, 2020
Godisgreatest1:

https://www.dangotecement.com/

The website is working perfectly.
Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 2:05am On Dec 07, 2020
topsy23:

Bundles of pipe,
20mm 3600
Original 20mm 6500
25mm pipe. 4500
Original 20mm 7500

For distribution board
ABB ORIGINAL
12 Way TPN. 85000
12 way SPN. 4500
6 way TPN. 60000
6 way SPN. 28500

FOR GRID SWITCH
Packet of Y-box 1800
What is the length of the original 20mm,25mm pipes and pcs in one bundle. Prices of 2 way fire alarm distribution board, distribution board D8 2, D6 Single phase, D8 single phase, ABB or Schnneider brand
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 4:59am On Dec 07, 2020
kopell:
What is the length of the original 20mm,25mm pipes and pcs in one bundle. Prices of 2 way fire alarm distribution board, distribution board D8 2, D6 Single phase, D8 single phase, ABB or Schnneider brand

A length of of original DIGNITY pipe is 3m and we have 25pcs in a bundle for both 29mm and 25mm

ORIGINAL ABB distribution board
D8 3-phase 68000
D6 3-phase 56000
D5 single phase 24500(no D6)
D8 single phase 30000
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by true2home(m): 5:26am On Dec 07, 2020
You kuku know me, i am looking at this already. And that una Tiles, i hate with passion and looking for affordable alternatives. I will even prefer Rug self but dusty naija discounted that option. In high End hotel in the "ABROAD", i no dey see all these elaborate POP or Tiles anywhere. EKO with our self imposed costly wahala.

n3xt:

If the price of Plasterboard and POP cement are beyond me, I’ll go for exposed beam joist ceiling.

Naija can’t hold me to ransom cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 5:41am On Dec 07, 2020
true2home:
You kuku know me, i am looking at this already. And that una Tiles, i hate with passion and looking for affordable alternatives. I will even prefer Rug self but dusty naija discounted that option. In high End hotel in the "ABROAD", i no dey see all these elaborate POP or Tiles anywhere. EKO with our self imposed costly wahala.

There are so many options to chose from. Someone is just going to give reasons why naija is different and why proposed alternative can’t or won’t work.

________
Pic 1 - Parquet Floor, Tiles/Rug, Glazed Tiles
Pic 2 - Parquet Floor inside NextHome H52
Pic 3 & 4 - Before and After pics

________
I’ve been rocking same floor at home for years.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 5:56am On Dec 07, 2020
BrabusNG:

There are so many options to chose from. Someone is just going to give reasons why naija is different and why proposed alternative can’t or won’t work.

________
Pic 1 - Parquet Floor, Tiles/Rug, Glazed Tiles
Pic 2 - Parquet Floor inside NextHome H52
Pic 3 & 4 - Before and After pics

________
I’ve been rocking same floor at home for years.

There are endless options out there.
________
Pic 1 - Parquet floor at home
Pic 2 - Resurfacing squash court at Lafarge Holcim with wood flooring
Pic 3 - Finished look without court markings

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1814) (1815) (1816) (1817) (1818) (1819) (1820) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ChybuzzDD(m), ajaosaheed12(m), sodiq961(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.