Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,227 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1833) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4387231 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1830) (1831) (1832) (1833) (1834) (1835) (1836) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by One4me: 1:05am On Dec 13, 2020
spyder880:

The benefits of averaging up or down is much, because your project won't stop, except if money finishes. I started building my own houses when cement was N520 in this country, I am still building at N4,000 cement and will continue at N10,000 cement. The good thing is that those properties are increasing in value.

So, get out there and do the ones you can do, irrespective of what is going up or down, exhaust your building budget first before talking about inflation, and if the prices crash, you will still be here and you will still make more money to buy cheaper and continue. The risks of waiting is just too much.

I think the price will go down a bit, after the new year.
Reason being that every year, around October, November and into December, Prices of building materials always go up because there is pressure on purchases as everyone wants to finish their project and move into their New House on New Years day.

I will always pause major purchases around this time and wait till January when most people have done their rush, even sellers are more responsive in the New year when sales are down and everyone is broke, spent or more concerned about School fees.

InvertedHammer:
/
I dare say that with the high inflation in the building materials' market this year, the war between landlords and tenants will enter a new phase. Can someone who builds with cement at N4000/bag hear " a beg" from a tenant?

@ n3xt: How much is the plasterboard?

E be like say na DIY go begin reign.
\

At the bolded:
Will this increase not have an inflationary effect on house prices /house rent, as we move into the new year or would people build/repair at such exorbitant price and still rent at the same price of last year?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by One4me: 1:18am On Dec 13, 2020
Cindino20:

Boss can you please tell me the name of the product he supplied and others you can recommend.

Cant remember properly but l think his Brand name is Regal Paints.

But take the advice, he does very good Paints, even better than the more popular brand names.
I have used his Paints and for some years now, it is still intact on the walls.
When it comes to Paint, l am sure a lot of people here have had a taste of his Paint and can testify that it is good and well priced.
We wont mind a further reduction is price sha, if possible (Oliver Twist mode activated) grin

Edit: Just saw that @gbadexy has provided the answer. undecided

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:21am On Dec 13, 2020
diordaves:

But the N4,000 per square meter for POP includes labour cost and all associated cost.

But the price you quoted (N27,000) plasterboard is just for the plasterboard only. You still need installation materials cost, screeding (finishing) materials and labour cost. By the time you factor these in, the cost difference may not be as clear cut. We've been here before just recently.

So to get a clearer perspective, how much will YOU charge per square meter using plasterboard? Or better put; how much do YOU charge using plasterboard? Give this figure and if the price is truly cheaper, I'm sure a Nairalander may take up your quote and come back to give a rating.

So come out transparently and quote jobs using plasterboard as an alternative. Only then can you kill off the debate. Same for the adhesive brand your are 'promoting'.

“Promoting” ke when it’s not a bibeli.

If you check well, you’d see I’m not really keen about taking Nairaland jobs.
The only thing you’d have realized by now is “I’m a talk and do.” If I share a solution, you’d see me put it into use in my personal projects and other builds managed by me.

Make una just dey watch me jare.

_______
The POP ‘4k per sqm’ price regime was when we were buying POP cement at #3800. I’m pretty sure you’d know that the price didn’t stay same.
As at that time plasterboards are sold between 4k - 5k (1.2m x 3m) and installation accessories are just 300 naira etc.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:00am On Dec 13, 2020
gameboy55:

wall screed 2m, damn

there is a very very cheap way to achieve dat with less than 50k (depending on the size of your project) and to me its best, becos it does not peel off after sometime like that of top bond nd pop combination

in south here, its called plaster screeding, WHY because, its goes along with your plastering

as soon as the walls is plastered and allowed to dry (to the point if you apply force on it won't spoil the job) you mix few quantity of pop cement with water nd add a little quantity of black cement nd stir properly

use a screeding brush to apply the solution on your plastered walls and smooth with sand paper wen dry

its very beautiful (very smooth nd cellophane like walls)
its the cheapest method you can get
nd it last longer than top bond method which paints usually peels off on most occasions

I used just one bag of pop cement for both inside, outside, and parapet screeding for my 4bedroom bungalow with labour not up to 40k. It was done by those doing the plastering

the attacted fence including the four sides inside fence walls (100 by 50) was done with half bag of pop cement. labour was less than 30k.

Thanks for sharing with us.

There are different types of coats when plastering

1. Rough Coat
2. Smooth Coat
3. Decorative Coat

The right sequence to achieve a very smooth wall is as follow:

1. Plaster

2. Cure

3. Surface gets air dry

4. Apply finished coat

_______
Below is an ongoing fence work being plastered by a JB trained rendering professional. The guy is around 70 years old and he still performs magic. He takes just 3 columns per day.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 4:18am On Dec 13, 2020
One4me:

Cant remember properly but l think his Brand name is Regal Paints.

But take the advice, he does very good Paints, even better than the more popular brand names.
I have used his Paints and for some years now, it is still intact on the walls.
When it comes to Paint, l am sure a lot of people here have had a taste of his Paint and can testify that it is good and well priced.
We wont mind a further reduction is price sha, if possible (Oliver Twist mode activated) grin

Edit: Just saw that @gbadexy has provided the answer. undecided
Thank you very much sir I appreciate it sir.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DancingSkeleton(m): 6:54am On Dec 13, 2020
gameboy55:

wall screed 2m, damn

there is a very very cheap way to achieve dat with less than 50k (depending on the size of your project) and to me its best, becos it does not peel off after sometime like that of top bond nd pop combination

in south here, its called plaster screeding, WHY because, its goes along with your plastering

as soon as the walls is plastered and allowed to dry (to the point if you apply force on it won't spoil the job) you mix few quantity of pop cement with water nd add a little quantity of black cement nd stir properly

use a screeding brush to apply the solution on your plastered walls and smooth with sand paper wen dry

its very beautiful (very smooth nd cellophane like walls)
its the cheapest method you can get
nd it last longer than top bond method which paints usually peels off on most occasions

I used just one bag of pop cement for both inside, outside, and parapet screeding for my 4bedroom bungalow with labour not up to 40k. It was done by those doing the plastering

the attacted fence including the four sides inside fence walls (100 by 50) was done with half bag of pop cement. labour was less than 30k.
Can/Do your guys work in Benin?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by okikigsm: 7:17am On Dec 13, 2020
Good morning house, pls I need recommendations on ceilings apart from pop.The brand name,price now and where to get it.thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:25am On Dec 13, 2020
erico2k2:

Bro look closely what you posted are not vents they are actually ROOMS!

Thanks chairman , you are right BUT you asked for the real purpose of that design.
The real purpose in building technology is for VENT
As I said earlier we have many vent in building
- window is also vent in building
- gable vent
-Roof vent
And many more.
You see some might later manage to introduce or later convert the small area there to room.

Some also use the space as attic room.

An attic (sometimes referred to as a loft) is a space found directly below the pitched roof of a house or other building; an attic may also be called a sky parlor or a garret. ... Attics are generally used for storage, though they can also help control temperatures in a house by providing a large mass of slowly moving air.

Look at these diagram pics below.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gandkiss: 7:48am On Dec 13, 2020
rotecch77:

Thanks chairman , you are right BUT you asked for the real purpose of that design.
- gable vent
-Roof vent
And many more.
You see some might later manage to introduce or later convert the small area there to room.

An attic (sometimes referred to as a loft) is a space found directly below the pitched roof of a house or other building; an attic may also be called a sky parlor or a garret. ... Attics are generally used for storage, though they can also help control temperatures in a house by providing a large mass of slowly moving air.

Does SUNBREAKERS act as vent too?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:48am On Dec 13, 2020
rotecch77:

- gable vent
-Roof vent
And many more.

Oga mi Sir, Erico2k2 knows all this.

He wants to know specifically what the one he inquired about was done for looking at the totality of the build.

Owner doesn’t want to share, and he doesn’t have to.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 8:22am On Dec 13, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

He wants to know specifically what the one he inquired about was done for looking at the totality of the build.

Oh ok I get now.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 8:35am On Dec 13, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Thank you sir... Some stories are best not told

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:50am On Dec 13, 2020
Jasobry:

Thank you sir... Some stories are best not told

I’ve been asked a million times to show my openable burglary bar. It will never ever happen grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 11:23am On Dec 13, 2020
Happy Sunday every one
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 11:23am On Dec 13, 2020
Good morning.
Happy Sunday to you all.

for your roofing woods,woodwork and materials contact us today.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 11:28am On Dec 13, 2020
One4me:

Reason being that every year, around October, November and into December, Prices of building materials always go up because there is pressure on purchases as everyone wants to finish their project and move into their New House on New Years day.

I will always pause major purchases around this time and wait till January when most people have done their rush, even sellers are more responsive in the New year when sales are down and everyone is broke, spent or more concerned about School fees.

At the bolded:
Will this increase not have an inflationary effect on house prices /house rent, as we move into the new year or would people build/repair at such exorbitant price and still rent at the same price of last year?
price of materials will go Down by January into February ending, it is always that because people have spent a lot during Xmas and New year,there will less purshaing power of materials, so manufacturers will be force to come down on their prices by their marketers
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 11:34am On Dec 13, 2020
Nigerian ingenuity, these guys are now converting 1924 Mercedes trucks to tippers. They do this by building a bigger bucket for the truck locally, then fitting the trucks with tipping mechanism after upgrading the engine functions. They do all these locally. The trucks are now popular and supplies sand and stones to many locations in the Eastern parts of Nigeria. I hired this one to supply me sharp sand in our Awka site.

@ Chekitaut, do you think this is up to 20 tons?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 11:37am On Dec 13, 2020
One4me:

At the bolded:
Till now, we're still chasing tenants to pay rent at old rate. Many are hiding under the pandemic by not paying

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 11:38am On Dec 13, 2020
mountmoriah:
price of materials will go Down by January into February ending, it is always that because people have spent a lot during Xmas and New year,there will less purshaing power of materials, so manufacturers will be force to come down on their prices by their marketers

Note that these factories will shot down before Christmas
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 11:47am On Dec 13, 2020
diordaves:

But the N4,000 per square meter for POP includes labour cost and all associated cost.

But the price you quoted (N27,000) plasterboard is just for the plasterboard only. You still need installation materials cost, screeding (finishing) materials and labour cost. By the time you factor these in, the cost difference may not be as clear cut. We've been here before just recently.

So to get a clearer perspective, how much will YOU charge per square meter using plasterboard? Or better put; how much do YOU charge using plasterboard? Give this figure and if the price is truly cheaper, I'm sure a Nairalander may take up your quote and come back to give a rating.

So come out transparently and quote jobs using plasterboard as an alternative. Only then can you kill off the debate. Same for the adhesive brand your are 'promoting'.
Forget about that plasterboard 'thingy'

It's more expensive than using the POP Cement, Top bond and the POP Paint.

I'm at that stage now and I've compared both options.

I've spent about ₦2m to screed all internal and external walls, including ceiling POP cast design.

I got a quote of ₦8,500 per square metre for plasterboard (material and Labour). The size of the ceiling is 7.5m*30m=225sqm.

Let's do the maths ₦8500*225sqm=₦1,912,500

But I will be achieving much more with about ₦2,100,000

My ₦2,100,000 spent covers:
All external wall Screeding (from roof to the ground)
All internal walls (save areas with wall tiles)
Ceiling of the entire upper floor

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Perfecttouchade: 11:48am On Dec 13, 2020
Greetings Fam, Season's greetings from Perfect Touch Aluminium.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yinkaoke(f): 11:55am On Dec 13, 2020
What is the cost please[quote author=Bakin3 post=9699he Biofil toilet digester system is a modern waste (toilet) management technology; it’s a small enclosed concrete chamber that replaces the septic tank or manhole and requires only a small space (Land).

Its’ construction is cheaper and safer compare to Septic tanks or Man-hole system. The digester mimics decomposition in natural environments: living organisms/bacteria in an enclosed concrete chamber that treat all decayable matter (human waste) through aerobic decomposition.

It is environmentally friendly, very hygienic, produces no odor and very cheap to install in your home or office.

[/quote]
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by coldcandy: 11:58am On Dec 13, 2020
spyder880:
Nigerian ingenuity, these guys are now converting 1924 Mercedes trucks to tippers. They do this by building a bigger bucket for the truck locally, then fitting the trucks with tipping mechanism after upgrading the engine functions. They do all these locally. The trucks are now popular and supplies sand and stones to many locations in the Eastern parts of Nigeria. I hired this one to supply me sharp sand in our Awka site.

@ Chekitaut, do you think this is up to 20 tons?

No tipper can carry 20 tons of SAND. Not because of weight but because of volume.
We have said this before: don't buy sand in tons! Just price a particular size of truck and monitor usage.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 12:04pm On Dec 13, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

/
50 cal on a bipod for security.

That's all.

/

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 12:06pm On Dec 13, 2020
davodyguy:

Till now, we're still chasing tenants to pay rent at old rate. Many are hiding under the pandemic by not paying
/.

To collect rent in 2021 or even 2022 will be a rocket science.

\

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 12:14pm On Dec 13, 2020
gbadexy:

If the owner is up to it, why not. I've been told countless times by diasporas who paint their houses abroad.

It would not be practical in a multi storey building. Especially the external.

/
Why not?

The local man who sets broken bones needs customers too.

/

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 12:53pm On Dec 13, 2020
[quote author=Jasobry post=97021316]

Note that these factories will shot down before Christmas[/ quote] some have already produce down what they will sell in January next year
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 1:10pm On Dec 13, 2020
wole212:
Please house, do we have a competent Architect who can design a modern 4 or 5 Bedroom Bungalow all rooms ensuite with the plan approval in Ibadan. Dry land and flat surface. Urgent Please, I'll appreciate your responses, thanks.

if you haven't gotten any, I'm in Ibadan and can surely render the service you want. u can WhatsApp me on 08078027416
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bakin3(m): 1:41pm On Dec 13, 2020
yinkaoke:
What is the cost please

# 250,000.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 1:47pm On Dec 13, 2020
n3xt:

Even at that ma, you can do a cost comparative analysis to see which offers a comparative advantage (lower opportunity cost)

I’ve once blocked off a swimming pool on a project when we weigh our option between having a pool and driving down to the nearest hotel to swim grin

_______
Some project directors/engineers can’t think straight when it comes to money. They always assume you guys building a house pick money on the tree grin grin

n3xt:

Even at that ma, you can do a cost comparative analysis to see which offers a comparative advantage (lower opportunity cost)

I’ve once blocked off a swimming pool on a project when we weigh our option between having a pool and driving down to the nearest hotel to swim grin

_______
Some project directors/engineers can’t think straight when it comes to money. They always assume you guys building a house pick money on the tree grin grin

n3xt:

_______

only next thinks straight nah.
not needed

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:50pm On Dec 13, 2020
InvertedHammer:

/
Why not?

The local man who sets broken bones needs customers too.

/

grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bigcountry234: 2:15pm On Dec 13, 2020
[quote author=Horlardorjah post=97023667]

if you haven't gotten any, I'm in Ibadan and can surely render the service you want. u can WhatsApp me on 08078027416[/

(1) (2) (3) ... (1830) (1831) (1832) (1833) (1834) (1835) (1836) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Skudi and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.